Canon EF 135mm f/2L USM

390 534893 Jul 21, 2014
ef135mmf_2l_1_

The Canon EF 135mm f/2L USM is designed to meet the needs of a wide range of advanced amateurs and professionals. A ten element optical formula with two UD-glass elements serves to correct residual aberrations, resulting in superb sharpness and high image quality. It is also able to obtain superior background blur with the f/2 wide aperture. The EF 135mm f/2L USM is fully compatible for AF with Extenders 1.4x and 2x. A stellar portrait and available light lens.

f/Stop Range 2.0-32
Minimum Focus Distance 3'
Magnification 1:5.3
Weight 1.64 lb

LotsToLearn

Registered: Jan 12, 2006
Review Date: Jun 4, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Quick to focus, accurate and sharp. Beautiful colours. Strong build.
Cons:

Amazing lens. When I don't absolutely need a zoom and when I'm not in my home, this lens is on my camera at least 90% of the time.

I originally found it quick to focus on my 20D and now that I've upgraded to a 1DIIN body, wow is it quick.

It produces beautiful colours and when focus is on (and it only isn't when it's my error), is extremely sharp.

This was my first L lens and makes me truly appreciate their quality. It's a great one.

Jun 4, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add LotsToLearn to your Buddy List
BobbyC

Registered: Jan 21, 2002
Review Date: Jun 4, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $780.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Beautiful, very sharp, bokeh is awesome
Cons:
AF tracking lacks

I love almost everything about this lense. AF is not what I expected based on reviews here. I shoot a lot of motorsports and rodeos and my 70-200 f4 tracks much better on AI servo, it just has trouble locking and staying there. I use it on manual AF with great success. 2.0 is awesome for low light, just keep an eye on the depth of field, it's really thin.

Unless you shoot something with a lot of eratic movement that needs to be AF tracked, this lense can't be beat.

Jun 4, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add BobbyC to your Buddy List
k1n3t1k

Registered: May 7, 2006
Review Date: May 31, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $900.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Incredibly fast AF, extremely sharp, f/2, pretty light for the focal range.
Cons:
Absolutely none!

This lens is one of my favorite portrait and midrange sporting lenses. It's comparable to having a 200 f/1.8 on a FF body when using a crop camera, such as my 30D. The details this lens can resolve never fails to amaze me. It was my first L purchase and has forever set "L Fever" in me.

This lens is worth every cent; absolutely no regrets. It should be in everyone's bag!

May 31, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add k1n3t1k to your Buddy List
Andrea1975

Registered: May 26, 2007
Review Date: May 29, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Everything!
Cons:
I had it calibrated (under warranty)

The best 135mm ever built. After calibration, I'm more confident in using AF even when shooting wide open. If you like the field of view of 135mm on full frame, you will get an unbelievable bokeh and DOF creative control. Contrast and color rendition are so well balanced that the images you take with this lens will always have a distinct character. In addition to that, no distortion, no CA, no vignetting.
The manual focusing ring is large enough and very precise. Being compact, light and black, you don't get noticed when shooting outdoor and it doesn't "intimidate" the subject when shooting portraits. Perfect for studio as well as street photography.

May 29, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Andrea1975 to your Buddy List
Evan Baines

Registered: Jan 15, 2007
Review Date: May 28, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $725.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, Bokeh, Colors, Fast AF, Build Quality, Does well on a 1.4TC
Cons:
Makes my other lenses feel bad about themselves.

I traded my 70-200 F/4 zoom for this and a 1.4TC, and I can't say enough good things about this bad boy. Its really just an amazing, amazing piece of glass. My favorite photos consistently come from this lens. The AF speed is out of this world as well, so I get shots I would've missed on something slower. @189 f/2.8, this lens is at LEAST as sharp as my 70-200 zoom was.

May 28, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Evan Baines to your Buddy List
trevilla

Registered: Jan 8, 2007
Review Date: May 19, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $900.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: f/2, "L" sharpness, contrast, colors & build quality, quick & silent AF
Cons:
No room for a tripod collar, kind of heavy

I bought this lens as my first telephoto, and am I ever grateful! I spent entire evenings in a row reading these reviews and reviews from other sites before making the purchase.

f/2 is a great for lowlight. I am able to shoot ballet and concerts with this and get decent shutters.

One thing I wish this lens had is space for a tripod collar. I am often wishing I could mount it on a monopod because it does get heavy after a while, and I also sometimes wish I had it for really lowlight situations.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this lens to ANYONE. It's one of Canon's best telephoto primes, and is definitely worth the money.

Check out the photos I've taken with it >> http://www.flickr.com/photos/adamtrevillian/tags/canonef135mmf2lusm/

May 19, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add trevilla to your Buddy List
cdhender

Registered: Nov 1, 2004
Review Date: May 15, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $800.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Simply amazing. For a few years I'd read about this lens and I was afraid it wouldn't live up to such high expectations. I couldn't have been more wrong. Sharpness, color, AF speed....everything about this lens is perfect. Easily the best lens I've ever owned. Even better than the 35L (which is fantastic in my opinion).
Cons:
None. Even at $900 USD brand new this is a steal.

Amazing. Simply amazing.

May 15, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add cdhender to your Buddy List
Ronan O Keeffe

Registered: Sep 15, 2006
Review Date: May 7, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness at ƒ2.0, light weight, speed of focus, price
Cons:
Nothing has reared it ugly head yet!

I bought this lens when I only had a 20D and I felt the equiv. FOV of a 135mm lens on this body was in a kind of a 'no mans land' area.
Now I have a 5D I absolutely adore the working distance this gives for head and shoulder shots. The un-processed Raws from this camera/lens combo are almost good enough to use straight off.

The price is reasonable for what you get and it's light enough to use all day long without feeling any strain.

May 7, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Ronan O Keeffe to your Buddy List
Husien Jahja

Registered: Nov 9, 2006
Review Date: May 7, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $700.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Well priced... great colour and tone... beautiful bokeh... excellent portraits lens... sharp...
Cons:

Best lens ever... nice colour and bokeh... reall love it... the first shot show a great quality picture...

This lens never to be miss... was a little sceptical about the review at first... But now it is proven correct... and this lens is definitely for keep along with 35 f1.4L

Definitely great buy of a century...

May 7, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Husien Jahja to your Buddy List
PhotoproX

Registered: Apr 6, 2007
Location: Albania
Review Date: Apr 21, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $900.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Probably the best 135mm lens available today
Cons:

This great lens does almost all the 85/1.2 L Mk. II does in a more versatile and convenient package, being much faster (AF), lighter, cheaper, weathersealed and compatible with extenders. Itīs still around a $1000 which doesnt make it exactly a cheap lens in the real world, but photographers are different...

This lens replaced the weary, bulky 85L for me.

What about bokeh? The longer focal length compensates the f-stop advantage. Hereīs a sample from someone mastering the 135L to give you an idea of bokeh.

(Copyright by the photographer, http://www.pbase.com/anerino/children)

Apr 21, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add PhotoproX to your Buddy List
poodlelvr

Registered: Aug 25, 2005
Review Date: Apr 20, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Outstanding quality lens; sharp, sharp, sharp. Beautiful color. Excellent build quality
Cons:

This is an outstanding lens; my overall favorite. I use it on a 20D and 30D and am extremely satisfied with the quality of my images. The photos are sharp, sharp, sharp. The color is deep and satisfying. I only wish I could use it for everything but it is too long for much of what I do.
I also own the 70-200 f2.8 and I prefer this lens; rarely put the other on my camera, although it is more versatile. Buy it; if you are not happy with the quality of photos you have a bad copy.

Apr 20, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add poodlelvr to your Buddy List
realbrandon

Registered: Nov 18, 2005
Review Date: Apr 20, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $900.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp wide open, great contrast and color rendition
Cons:
I wish it's a little lighter :)

After upgrading to 5D, my 50 f/1.4 seems too close, so I had to get ride of it. I need a fast prime and 135L was on top of my list.

Read lots of comments here, reviews and sample pictures everywhere, finally decided to get one. Wow, what a lens!

Very fast with f/2: You can do indoor/outdoor portraits, indoor/outdoor sports, and so much more.

Fast and reliable USM focusing: a big step up comparing to 50/1.4. I love it.

L contrast and color: you just have to use an L to appreciate the L magic.

Go get one for yourself. You won't regret it! I am not, and my models love it. I can tell that they really understand the meaning of "make love to the camera" now when I tell them too Smile

Apr 20, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add realbrandon to your Buddy List
Peter Wirtoft

Registered: Sep 7, 2006
Review Date: Apr 19, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp even at f2. Perfect in almost all aspects. Fast and accurate AF.
Cons:
Colors, no magic results like ex 150 from Sigma. Background blur should be even nicer with a lens at this price.

The EF 135 f2 L lens is a wonderful lens. Its probably the best lens on the market for Canon dSLR.

In sharpness I have only tested one lens sharper and that is TSE 90.
the EF 85 f1.2 L and EF 50 f1.2 L I have still not tried so I can not compare to them.

Compare to the Sigma EX 150 Apo, which is a very sharp lens, the EF 135 is sharper. But Sigma wins in Blur and Colors.
The EX 150 is a Macro and is therefore not comparable in AF action mode department.

See

For some pictures.

Apr 19, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Peter Wirtoft to your Buddy List
polizonte

Registered: Jan 25, 2006
Review Date: Apr 10, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast precise focus, sharp, contrasty images
Cons:
NONE

Gives me the reach for distance shots and close focus capability for portraits - fast focus, very sharp, nice color and contrast; the combo of 135L & 17-40 L lenses meets my modest photographic needs.

Apr 10, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add polizonte to your Buddy List
TimesUP

Registered: Feb 6, 2006
Review Date: Apr 4, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $789.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Color, contrast, weight, looks, sharpness, price....and so on and so on and eh..... is there anything else I missed?
Cons:
What? None! Just none!

Just the best "L" ever made, just a tad better than my 300 IS f/4. Nothing against anyone who has posted here but really...zooms are not in the same class as primes.....get this lens and you will not be sorry, and probably never take it off the camera.....Just Do It!

Apr 4, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add TimesUP to your Buddy List
jirok12944

Registered: Nov 22, 2006
Review Date: Mar 27, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $910.00

Pros: Solid build, Contrasty, Good colors
Cons:
Could not make it work :(

I've tried everything to like this lens. Used it few occasions for low light ice skating and many times bright outdoor. I suspected that the AF is not accurate and calibrated it at Canon.... but did not feel any difference after that. Still hit-and-miss at f/2 on 5D and 1D mk1. I don't have any good photo wider that f/2.8. It does provide excellent color, contrast, reasonably sharp at f/2. My copy softer at f/2 and /2.8 compare to 85mm f/1.8, even after calibration.

I compared it to 70-200 f/4L IS, and zoom outperformed 135mm in almost all cases.

In the end I do not think that anything wrong with the lens, maybe my technique of using it wide open not good,
but at the same time I have much-much better success rate with 85mm wide open. I came up with idea
that I better off using 70-200 f/4 IS and 85mm for low light.

I really tried hard to make it work, but unfortunately this lens is not for me. I won't give any rate to it, because I see that the lens is very-very good, it just not `my type`.

There's only one lens in my to-buy-list - 35mm f/1.4L. I hope it will like me, and really hope it will be one of my favorite.

Mar 27, 2007