Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8G ED NIKKOR AF-S

63 171259 Jul 11, 2014
224-70

Constant maximum aperture of f/2.8 at all focal lengths
Enhanced optical formulas, engineered to produce exceptional sharpness, contrast and color, render outstanding image integrity
ED (Extra-low dispersion) glass elements minimize chromatic aberration to deliver stunning sharpness and contrast
Aspherical lenses including large-diameter PGM element eliminate various types of lens aberration even at the widest aperture
Nano Crystal Coat virtually eliminates internal lens element reflections, effectively reducing ghosting and flare
High-performance Nikon Super Integrated Coating offers superior color reproduction, while minimizing ghosting and flare
IF (Internal Focusing) enables focusing without changing the length of lens barrel
Nikon’s exclusive Silent Wave Motor for fast, quiet autofocus operation
Rounded diaphragm opening (9 blades) makes out-of-focus elements appear more natural
M/A mode enables instant switching from autofocus to manual focus, even during AF servo operation, with virtually no time lag
Dedicated flower-shaped lens hood effectively minimizes stray light
Lens barrel is built for comfortable holding while featuring a rugged design; zoom and focusing rings provide smooth operation
______________________________

Focal length: 24-70 mm
Maximum aperture: f/2.8
Minimum aperture: f/22
Lens construction: 15 elements in 11 groups (with 3 ED glass elements, 3 aspherical lenses and one Nano Crystal Coat)
Picture angle: 84° - 34°20’ (61° - 22°50’ with DX-format camera)
Closest focus distance: 0.38 m/1.2 ft. (with focal length 35-50 mm
Maximum reproduction ratio: 1/3.7
No. of diaphragm blades: 9 (rounded)
Filter/attachment size: 77 mm
Focusing: Internal Focusing (IF) system; autofocus with a built-in SWM and manual focus
Diameter x length
(extension from lens mount): Approx. 83 x 133 mm/3.3 x 5.2 in.
Weight: Approx. 900 g/31.7 oz.
Supplied accessories: Bayonet Hood HB-40, Semi-soft Case CL-M3

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4  next

bocaminus

Registered: Apr 19, 2006
Review Date: Jul 11, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,600.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharpness, fast AF and good built quality
Cons:

Nikon 24-70 is a super versatile lens applicable to many different style of shooting. It covers a great range and as a 28-70mm successor it offers wider focal coverage yet without compromising picture quality. It produces pretty darn good results for a zoom lens. At f/2.8, center sharpness is pretty good although corners are definitely softer with less resolution. Neverless, everything comes together at f/4 where I think this Nikon really shines. AF is lighting fast and accurate and this alone is a huge plus. Micro contrast is not the best in the world but in my opinion better than Canon's 24-70mm.

Nikon 24-70 will always be a popular lens ... among professionals and amateurs. Unless you option for the very best glass and shoot only primes, Nikkor 24-70mm is one of the best deals you'll find around ... excellent bang for your buck.

Jul 11, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add bocaminus to your Buddy List
Mick Dooley

Registered: Mar 4, 2007
Review Date: Feb 5, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: IQ is excellent. Sharper than Canon equivalent. Solid build.
Cons:
Bit heavier than I like. Lacks VR

I've shot Canon for 30+ years so this first experience with a Nikon lens was a welcome surprise. It exceeded my high expectations based on online reviews.

Although it is a little heavy it balances nicely on the D800e. IQ is stellar and I believe a bit better than Canon. Did I mention sharpness ?

Overall I am delighted with this lens, and find myself lazy about switching to an alternative lens until I have no choice.

Feb 5, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Mick Dooley to your Buddy List
Mark K

Registered: Feb 15, 2003
Review Date: Jul 15, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $4,999.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: sharpness, slim size, fast focusing
Cons:
price

It must be the sharpest 24-70/2.8 years back and it proved itself.
The slender shape fit my small hands well.

Jul 15, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Mark K to your Buddy List
dstraton

Registered: Jan 17, 2010
Review Date: Apr 6, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,699.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp from edge to edge, corner to corner at small apertures. Fast accurate focus. Beautiful build quality. Great colors and micro contrast.
Cons:
Slightly long physically. Might be slightly softer just left of center versus rest of the frame - or it might be me.

I never loved the Canon version of this lens when i shot a 5DII though it did have great overall contrast and colors. Very heavy and I felt a bit clunky.

This is heavy too, but I think balances a bit better on my D800, being a bit narrower though longer I think it handles more nicely. You can feel a slight hitch while zooming through the range (presumably when the retracting lens barrel reverses direction around 35mm), but overall very smooth. Focusing great with almost no play.

I think that in general, build quality on Nikons is a bit better than Canon - though it may be just a matter of finishing styles...tolerances seem a bit tighter.

Images do have distortion as expected, especially on wide-end.

My experience with this lens, and my D800, is that the files can withstand a lot more sharpening than my Canon kit - the detail is staggering across the frame and even into the extreme corners on my copy, great contrast, micro contrast and color. I think I may see some very slight softening between center and the left corners versus the rest of the frame, but have noticed this only on the wide end and only twice...at Extreme pixel peeking at 100%.

Overall a great zoom that exceeded my preconceptions of the zoom range.

Apr 6, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add dstraton to your Buddy List
dave-s

Registered: May 5, 2008
Review Date: Jan 24, 2013 Recommend? no | Price paid: $1,888.00 | Rating: 5

Pros: Well built. Pretty quick focusing.
Cons:
Mediocre image quality, especially poor in corners. Must stop down to al least f11 to have any chance at full-frame quality. Susceptible to flare. No VR. Manual focus ring is too quick which makes fine focus adjustment impossible. WAY too expensive for the image quality. Very disappointing.

Oh, how I wanted to like this lens. I had seen the charts and read the reviews. The chart on slrgear.com shows this lens to be almost perfect.

So I rented a Nikon 24-70 f2.8, along with a D800, to do some cityscape aerials, and also other cityscapes and scenics. I was quite disappointed when I saw the files. The files were barely better than what I was getting from the Nikon 28-300 VR, and far worse than what I was getting from the beautiful Nikon 14-24. So I figured I had a bad copy of the 24-70.

My own D800 finally arrived, so I ordered 2 copies of the Nikon 24-70 f2.8 and also 2 copies of the new Tamron 24-70 f2.8 VC, all from B&H (they are always great).
I tested all 4 lenses scientifically and rigorously. Studio shooting with flash, architectural, landcapes @ infinity. One of the Tamrons was the clear winner. The other copy of the Tamron and both copies of the Nikon were unacceptable for my work. None of the lenses give truly sharp corners at any aperture or focal length. But the one Tamron was close enough to get by (I hate just "getting by") (f11 is the only aperture that gives tolerable results at all focal lengths on the best Tamron).

Anyway, the better of the two Tamrons clearly beat out both copies of the Nikon. Better center sharpness, better corner sharpness, better resistance to flare, better micro-contrast, better color, and of course it has VC as a bonus! The Nikon does focus a little faster, especially in low light, but in my studio people focus tests, I got more hits with the Tamron than with the Nikon. And of course the Tamron is about $1200 and the Nikon closer to $2000.
I would be GLAD to pay $2000, or even more, for an excellent lens. Nikon needs FAR better quality control - they should be ashamed.

Get the Tamron.
But whatever lens(es) you get, be sure to order at least 2-3 copies and test rigorously (if you care at all about image quality), as there can be huge variation from one copy to the next.

Jan 24, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add dave-s to your Buddy List
recordproducti

Registered: Jul 11, 2005
Review Date: Sep 4, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: An absolutely excellent lens with prime 'like' quality. Much better than my previous copies of Canon 24-70L's.
Cons:
Heavy and long.

I am very, very impressed at this lens. I'm using it on a D800e and it is an excellent combo. Colours are excellent. IQ wide open is lovely and so good I've delayed buying 24mm or 35mm f/1.4 primes something I'd have not imagined. It is substantially sharper than my mkI 24-70L's.

I love the 'look' produced wide open at f/2.8 and then stopping down to f/4 is a serious sharpening of the image, not that f/2.8 is bad, it has a great 'look' but going to f/4 it becomes another lens, a very super sharp lens. This lens has real character and has such a range of 'looks' able to be produced when varying aperture.

The downsides are that this seems much heavier than my previous Canon 24-70L lenses and it is longer. My camera bag that just fitted the 5DmkII and 24-70L is too small now.

To sum up: Awesome lens.

Sep 4, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add recordproducti to your Buddy List
Oskar

Registered: Mar 16, 2012
Review Date: Apr 14, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Great all round pro lens produces sharp images in any conditions I have had mine only 2 weeks and have used it on 5 paid jobs 2 were in low light no flash one in a cathedral , the other under moon light and produced 2 front cover shots , portraits in perfect light are a knock out . However in the studio on a D3 X with Pro photo packs I found for some reason 2.8 no matter what I did focus wise the eyes looked soft and in using 20 years experience I could not get a sharp shot until I went to 5.6 and above.But not so on outdoor shoots , mystery .
Cons:
For me if it were able to go to 110 mm it would be great but no problem , the lens hood is a pain to slip on and reverse in tight area shoots and in low light quite areas ie a cathedral a hood drop on a marble floor could make one foolish photographer , no I did not drop it but if you are on a movie set or quite zone shoot beware .

Apr 14, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Oskar to your Buddy List
nicklau81

Registered: Oct 3, 2010
Review Date: Jan 1, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,000.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, quick AF, all round lense
Cons:
heavy, no VR, pricey (but you get what you paid for)

just moved from Canon to Nikon D7000 and pair it with 24-70mm, love this lens so much, quick AF and sharp from center to border.

The downside only no VR (wish it had this feature on it) and heavy. overall it's very good lense

Jan 1, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add nicklau81 to your Buddy List
Digital Gold

Registered: Apr 17, 2011
Review Date: Apr 17, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Super sharp, build quality, fast focus, amazing contrast, consistent.
Cons:
Price and weight (but you get what you pay for)

This is my go to lens for the Nikon D3. I use this lens around 35-40% of the time. It's so sharp and it never dissapoints. Focus is always fast and always on point. I did use the AF fine tuning function with my D3 at -4 and that seems to work best with the combination of this lens and my camera. I highly recommend this lens over any other for any full frame Nikon camera.

To see some examples of photos taken with this lens please visit my website and photography blog: http://digitalgoldphotography.com

Feel free to reach out to me with any specific questions.

Apr 17, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Digital Gold to your Buddy List
PatShawyer

Registered: Feb 4, 2010
Review Date: Apr 14, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Tack sharp !
Cons:

Having had Nikon equipment since the 70's, I have just upgraded from the D300 to the D700, and bought the 24-70 too...All I can say is, it is without doubt, the best lens I have ever owned. I just love it. Its heavy, but I like that, it feels what it is, an expensive, classy lens.
I've only had it a week, but already the images taken are just so tack sharp. If you can buy it..do so !!

Apr 14, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add PatShawyer to your Buddy List
CarstenLP

Registered: Sep 22, 2010
Review Date: Apr 6, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Everything. Range, speed, build quality, even size and weigth!
Cons:
Maybe the price

What can I say about this fantastic piece of glass that hasn't allready been said? I come from a 7D with a 24-105 f/4 IS to a D7000 and this masterpiece of a lens and this glass just smokes the Canon! Sharp wide open at all focal lengths and weather sealed. Sure it's heavy but I find that it actually stabilizes my shots. Simply the best piece of glass I've ever had.

If the other Nikkor zoom lenses (14-24 and 70-200) are as good as this I'm going to be a very happy mand down the road. If you're considering this lens stop right now and get it. You won't regret it!

Apr 6, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add CarstenLP to your Buddy List
FabioMachado

Registered: Oct 23, 2010
Location: Portugal
Review Date: Jan 17, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,050.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Everything. the elements, the built quality, the unconquerable sharpness, the fastness, the silence and the amassing durability.
Cons:
the size! just ridiculous

Nikkor 24-70 the best lens i'v ever owned, by far.

There is no comparison possible with the Canon equivalent. its just better in almost everything (but the built quality, canon got it right a long time ago)

the Sharpness is just... Perfect, as the color reproduction.
Its Fast as hell and silent as a fox :P

At this time i only own this lens along with an Nikon D3x... its every thing that i need.
Its Wide enough, its "tele" enough, f2.8 and element protected.

Its just the perfect Lens to have.

I Just Don't like the size. and with the plastic thing on it looks just ridiculous.

By far the lest lens i'v ever had!

(but i cant wait to get my hand on the 14-24 (i just cant afford it right now)

Jan 17, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add FabioMachado to your Buddy List
nick53097

Registered: Apr 19, 2008
Review Date: Jan 16, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Best Nikon zoom lens I ever had
Cons:

I moved from D300s/17-55 combo to D700/24-70 and found it a dream come true combination. Just amazing piece of glass, stays on D700 90% of the time. I can crop image at 30% and still print great 20X30 image. That is my 24, 35, 50 and 70mm combinations of primes in one body.

Jan 16, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add nick53097 to your Buddy List
nycandre

Registered: Apr 23, 2009
Review Date: Jan 10, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Super sharp, focuses fast and accurately in all conditions
Cons:
Heavy, big and expensive - but you knew that Doesn't focus that close in macro mode - can't have it all ..

Just a fantastic lens all around. I don't regret the high price.
But I may get a second, maybe less performing zoom just so it isn't so heavy and noticeable. Or wait for that Fuji X100.

Then again, you can't beat its oomph and versatility, especially combined with the D700.

Example, shot on the spur of the moment in low light with moving elements, so had to rely blind on the autofocus - and it delivered.

Shot at 1/125 f/2.8 ISO 3200 66mm

Jan 10, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add nycandre to your Buddy List
kja777

Registered: Nov 8, 2009
Review Date: Jan 2, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,650.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Rendering / color palette, image quality, sharpness, speed, very low vignetting.
Cons:
Size / weight and sadly, price (but you usually get what you pay for).

Some reviewers posted a low score for this lens because they felt it was too heavy - what??? Didn't you pick it up in the store? Sheesh.

Having been a Canon shooter for 25+ years, this was the first lens I bought when migrating from Canon to Nikon two years ago. I can assure you after 25 years Canon L class glass cannot hold a candle to this lens.

I have consistently found the 24-70's image quality to be outstanding. It doesn't matter what light levels I use this lens in, it doesn't matter the color of light I'm shooting in, nor does subject movement throw it any curves - this lens performs the same way in a very consistent and very dependable manner. Also, I love it's color palette. It is a bit weak at 24mm (distortion) but cleans up to stellar levels at 26mm and stays there throughout the zoom range.

If all you REQUIRE is an f/5.6 lens then sure, go for the lower priced Nikon options. But two full stops of light IS a big deal so; for full frame shooters or, those who seek demanding performance this lens produces amazing imagery.

BTW - I have multiple Zeiss lenses including the 35mm F/2 and 50mm makro. From a sharpness perspective this 24-70mm zoom lens matches the Zeiss. It is the Zeiss RENDERING of images that makes me choose it for certain scenes over this 24-70.

The ONLY reason I did not give this lens a 10 out of 10 is that to me, 10=perfection and I do not think this lens reaches "perfection" status - but - it is an amazing lens that does in fact rival primes for image quality.

Jan 2, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add kja777 to your Buddy List
romeo_popescu

Registered: Jul 13, 2009
Review Date: Jul 8, 2010 Recommend? no | Price paid: $2,000.00 | Rating: 3

Pros: full frame
Cons:
very heavy, too expensive

Very heavy, makes carrying your camera around less and less desirable with every day that passes. During the summer the difference is even more noticeable.

I had people commenting on the fact that they felt intimidated by the size of the lens. It is difficult to go unnoticed for candid or street photography.

Picture quality is great, but (at least my copy) does not feel as “exceptional” as other reviews made me to expect. I cannot see any notable difference in the pictures when compared to lenses that cost a fifth of what this one costs, enlarged to 100 % side by side in Adobe LightRoom when the same camera body is used.

For me the “value for money” just isn’t there, especially in this economy. Do yourself a favor and stick to a DX body and lenses between $200 and $600. Nothing wrong there and no one will notice the difference in the photos. Just get out there and take pictures rather than spending all your money on overpriced equipment and be left with no money to travel, (unless you are a pro).

Hey, just my 5 cents.

Jul 8, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add romeo_popescu to your Buddy List

Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8G ED NIKKOR AF-S