Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8G ED NIKKOR AF-S

63 170385 Jul 11, 2014
224-70

Constant maximum aperture of f/2.8 at all focal lengths
Enhanced optical formulas, engineered to produce exceptional sharpness, contrast and color, render outstanding image integrity
ED (Extra-low dispersion) glass elements minimize chromatic aberration to deliver stunning sharpness and contrast
Aspherical lenses including large-diameter PGM element eliminate various types of lens aberration even at the widest aperture
Nano Crystal Coat virtually eliminates internal lens element reflections, effectively reducing ghosting and flare
High-performance Nikon Super Integrated Coating offers superior color reproduction, while minimizing ghosting and flare
IF (Internal Focusing) enables focusing without changing the length of lens barrel
Nikon’s exclusive Silent Wave Motor for fast, quiet autofocus operation
Rounded diaphragm opening (9 blades) makes out-of-focus elements appear more natural
M/A mode enables instant switching from autofocus to manual focus, even during AF servo operation, with virtually no time lag
Dedicated flower-shaped lens hood effectively minimizes stray light
Lens barrel is built for comfortable holding while featuring a rugged design; zoom and focusing rings provide smooth operation
______________________________

Focal length: 24-70 mm
Maximum aperture: f/2.8
Minimum aperture: f/22
Lens construction: 15 elements in 11 groups (with 3 ED glass elements, 3 aspherical lenses and one Nano Crystal Coat)
Picture angle: 84° - 34°20’ (61° - 22°50’ with DX-format camera)
Closest focus distance: 0.38 m/1.2 ft. (with focal length 35-50 mm
Maximum reproduction ratio: 1/3.7
No. of diaphragm blades: 9 (rounded)
Filter/attachment size: 77 mm
Focusing: Internal Focusing (IF) system; autofocus with a built-in SWM and manual focus
Diameter x length
(extension from lens mount): Approx. 83 x 133 mm/3.3 x 5.2 in.
Weight: Approx. 900 g/31.7 oz.
Supplied accessories: Bayonet Hood HB-40, Semi-soft Case CL-M3

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4  next

Rooster L200

Registered: Jan 1, 2009
Review Date: Mar 13, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent build, tight fit
Cons:
none!

I recently sold off my Canon pro equipment (5d and a bunch of zoom and prime lenses) for the D700 & 24-70 2.8 combo. As others have written this is a really great combination. I hope the new 70-200 VRII will be equally as good as this 24-70 lens. That one is on my wishlist. Dealer stated this one might come in june this year. The 24-70 is just one piece of solid & serious equipment and I dont miss VR at all. Very happy also with the d700.

Mar 13, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Rooster L200 to your Buddy List
thedruid

Registered: Dec 1, 2004
Review Date: Mar 11, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Lack of flare, ghosting, sharp, bulid.
Cons:

This lens and the D700 are a match made in heaven. This is what i was looking for when I had the 5D 24-70L combo, but alas that did was not to be. This is a quality lens, I can shoot contre-jour and not worry about flare or ghosting and did I say it was sharp. Every time I open an image and enlarge to 100% it's not, I wonder if it will hold up a la the "L", it's wow this lens delivers again...as long as I do my part.

Mar 11, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add thedruid to your Buddy List
mendis

Registered: Oct 30, 2005
Review Date: Feb 22, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp from 2.8 onwards, fast focusing, balanced weight, solid build, great colours and contrast
Cons:
none maybe just a tad expensive

A perfect lens in my opinion. Great for street and snap portraits. My No.1 walkabout and event lens.

Feb 22, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mendis to your Buddy List
miskelly

Registered: Feb 1, 2009
Review Date: Feb 4, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: sharp, fast ,silent & great build quality
Cons:
no v.r,a little heavy

like many others here i to have switched from canon (after 17 years).when i first looked into it i was not so happy with the smaller lens choice for fx use compaired to canon but when you actually try this lens out it is optically so much better than any of my array of lenses on my 5d incl.24-70 & leaves the 24 105is in the dust ,yes it's a heavy ish lens but this thing is all metal incl.the filter thread & a rubber gasket on the rear to complete the weather sealing on d700/3,
after all best image quality is what we all strive for & the lens has it in buckets so should be a keeper long after the d700/d3
have gone.

Feb 4, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add miskelly to your Buddy List
LMT1972

Registered: Oct 26, 2008
Review Date: Jan 31, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Build quality, IQ
Cons:
Soft at the wide end, expensive, heavy

I use this lens on the D300 and at the long end (50-70mm) you won't find better IQ anywhere. I use it for candid portraiture and the sharpness, colour & micro-contrast is superb (as good as any prime IMO). Wide open it is tack sharp and is even better at f4.

Unfortunately at the wide end (24-35mm) it is woeful in the corners at all apertures (I've had 2 copies and both were the same). This softness seems to be a real issue on DX bodies and less apparent on FX bodies. I also have a Tamron 28-75 and it slaughters the 24-70 in corners at the wide end which is a real shame as this lens excels in all other areas.

Cheers
Leigh

Jan 31, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add LMT1972 to your Buddy List
svx94

Registered: Mar 25, 2005
Review Date: Jan 31, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Best IQ in the class
Cons:
no VR for its price

Good color, contrast, sharpness. I compared this lens (on D700) with Canon's 24-70/2.8 and 24-105/4 (on 5D II), this lens wins the sharpness by far. You can see the edge sharpness difference even on the camera LCD. This lens at 2.8 is sharper then both Canon on F4.

I would love to see a VR version of this one.

I also heard the construction issue with the lens mount. It can break apart with relatively minor force.

Jan 31, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add svx94 to your Buddy List
braveman

Registered: Mar 12, 2008
Location: Poland
Review Date: Jan 17, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Outstanding sharp (!), great build, good range in FX, very good contrast & color
Cons:
field curvature at 24mm f/2.8 (but when you stop to f/5.6 FC is gone) and... price

It's outstanding lens. I change my system from Canon to Nikon. I've used Canon 40D+ 24-70 f/2.8 and after change i only say - this lens (Nikkor) is MUCH! better in every aspect than canon - especially in wide end (24-35mm). IMHO Canon has (only) minimal better distorsions correction,

Jan 17, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add braveman to your Buddy List
albertino

Registered: Dec 22, 2007
Review Date: Jan 11, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $160,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Nitido-contrastato-luminoso e ben bilanciato
Cons:
distorsione a 24mm ma recuperabile in P.S.

E' capace di dare immagini nitide e ben contrastate-resiste benissino al flare, vignettatura da f4 in poi inesistente

Jan 11, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add albertino to your Buddy List
x-other

Registered: Dec 25, 2008
Location: Romania
Review Date: Dec 25, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,683.22 | Rating: 6

Pros: Sharp, Fast, Great IQ
Cons:
Front focus, poor construction quality

I brought this lens from a retailer in Romania. I did not make the focus test right after I got it thinking it's silly to make it for a high grade lens. Finally when I did the test it showed about 2 mm front focus with the worst results at 70mm f/4. I went back to Nikon’s authorized service in Bucharest and they decided to change it right after I strongly refused to accept an “18-55 f3.5-5.6” as a replacement lens while mine was supposed to be sent in Germany for recalibration.
It's a shame for Nikon to have such a poor level of service in Romania. Imagine that you must wait up to 1-2 months to get back your lens or body back from the service because locally they are not capable to repair it and they must send it to Germany of other Nikon service. It happens me before with my D200 which showed well know banding issues.

It took about 4 months to have again quality problems with the replaced 24-70 f/2.8. Right before Christmas, during a photo session, unexpectedly the zoom collar becomes rough among 28mm and 24 mm and then it got stuck there. It's strange that I did not drop the lens or broke it. As a matter of fact I took care of it more than I took care of myself.

I took it back to the same Nikon's authorized service but this time they refused to change it, they keep it in service although they’re on holidays until January 5th, and again they were not able to provide a back up lens other than 16-85 f/3.5-5.6 AF-S VR. I'm shooting with d700 and I could not offer to my customer’s 5mpx pictures with a poorer IQ due to the lens. I'm expecting to get it back no early than February again because they couldn't repair it locally and have to send it to Germany. Probably it's just a screw issue...

Because I needed a wide lens for some shootings, even that 24 mm was wide enough for a FF, I had to go to the retailer to buy a brand new 14-24 f/2.8 in order not to get dropped by my customers. I wanted to buy that lens but not under the circumstances described above.
This experience cost me two trips to the service meaning 320 km made it twice because I'm not leaving in Bucharest and the cost for the new lens being forced by the circumstances. And yes, I'm frustrated because all of this!

SHAME NIKON, SHAME ON YOU!

For who wants to see my photo stream on flickr please follow the link below:

Dec 25, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add x-other to your Buddy List
Carl Feather

Registered: Oct 26, 2007
Review Date: Dec 22, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,450.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Great build, good range, very sharp
Cons:
Cost. Wish it went to 105

I also have the 28-70 but after getting the D700 I felt the lens was not up to the improved sensor. The 28-70 is my favorite portrait combo on a D300.

The 24-70 smokes the 28-70 wide open and it just gets better stopped down. This lens is all its cracked up to be; as good as the 14-24, which I sold to get this.

I just wish it went to 105 or at least 85 and had VR.

Otherwise, it's perfect for the D700.

Dec 22, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Carl Feather to your Buddy List
MrDouble

Registered: Jun 21, 2006
Review Date: Oct 19, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,700.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Compact and light, build quality, sharp with great contrast at all apetures/focal lengths, very good bookeh, fast focus, flare resistant.
Cons:
Nothing really, could use VR in some situations.

This is my bread n butter lens on D700. Handles well, although focus ring could be little further out, gives results on par or better than primes in its range, resists flares better than any other 2.8 lens I've used.
VR would be nice but with high ISO capability of D700/D3, not necessary.
Best wide-to-mid zoom to date from Nikon.

Oct 19, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add MrDouble to your Buddy List
OCphotography

Registered: Aug 23, 2008
Review Date: Sep 29, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpest zoom lens ever! Ultra fast AF on D3, amazing build! Nano Coating.
Cons:
Haha! You gotta be kiddin, right? ;) NONE!

Yes, this lens is extremely expensive, but it is worth every penny!

Sharp as crazy, fast, fast AF! Great build quality, weather-sealed, deliver amazing results!

I am using this one on my D3 and it rocks!

Definately best lens I have ever owned (Been with Canon for 12 years, nothing in the same range/class can compare). Yes, the Canon version is a fine lens, but when you get this one, you forget Canon like a lightning.

I am very happy with the lens hood design too, it has a clip on function when you turn it, that way it can unscrew itself and fall of like others might do. Very clever Nikon!

Will recommend it to anyone, but it will shine like a star on D700/D3! It is born for full-frame and it wont let you down!

Next up for purchase is the little brother, 14-24mm :P

Sep 29, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add OCphotography to your Buddy List
hike

Registered: Aug 22, 2005
Review Date: Aug 24, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,699.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Incredibly sharp, fast focusing, well balanced on a D3
Cons:
No VR

Having used this with a D3 for almost 9 months, I have yet to find a flaw. My only regret is that Nikon didn't include VR (especially given the price), but this lens reset my expectations for what good glass can deliver.

Great build, great bokeh and I've never had any issue with CA. Very quiet. Sharp to the corners on full-frame.

Yes, it would be nice it were lighter, cheaper and had more on the telephoto end, but I guess there has to be some limit.

Aug 24, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add hike to your Buddy List
Charles Loy

Registered: May 3, 2004
Review Date: Aug 23, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,599.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Build quality and sharpness at any focal or f stop. Quiet, fast focus. Best zoom I have used.
Cons:
None, see comments

This is a wonderful zoom lens, awesome color, contrast and sharpness. But it has no VR - it should for it's size, weight and cost. I have owned 2 copies, the first was a great lens but this lens is better (somewhat sharper, much sharper at f2.8).

Aug 23, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Charles Loy to your Buddy List
chickpiper

Registered: Mar 12, 2005
Review Date: Aug 22, 2008 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent results at all focal lengths. Colors are perfect.
Cons:

It is the best zoom lens I have ever used..

Aug 22, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add chickpiper to your Buddy List
tomjwu

Registered: Dec 22, 2004
Review Date: Aug 13, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,700.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Good built quality and very fast and sharp
Cons:
Big and expensive.

Got this lens about the same time with D700 and what's a combo. Haven't test this lens on the job yet but only with the D300 and it worked really wonderful, fast & accurate.

Aug 13, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add tomjwu to your Buddy List

Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8G ED NIKKOR AF-S