Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8G IF-ED AF-S Nikkor

Focal Length: 14 - 24mm
APS Equivalent: 21 - 36mm
Max Aperture: f/2.8
Min Aperture: f/22
Diaphragm Blades: 9 (rounded)
Lens Construction: 14 elements in 11 groups, including 2 ED, 3 aspherical, and one Nano Crystal Coat element
Diagonal Angle of View
(Based on image circle): 114 to 84 degrees
Focus Details: Silent Wave Motor; Internal Focusing
Front Element Rotation: No
Zoom System: Rotary
Closest Focus: 28cm / 0.9 ft. (with focal length 18-24 mm)
Magnification Ratio: 0.15x / 1:6.7
Filter Size:
Dimensions
(Length x Diameter): 131.5mm x 98mm / 5.2 in. x 3.9 in.
Weight: 1kg / 35.3 oz
Notes: Integrated hood. Included Accessories: Semi-soft Case CL-M3

Kliff

Registered: Nov 24, 2009
Review Date: Jan 28, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,150.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp at all apertures and focal lenhgt
Cons:
You have to be very careful with front lens element

Several month ago I'm switched from Canon to Nikon. I was shocked, when I first time tried this lens. It is huge difference between Canon 16-35 f2,8II and Nikon 14-24 f2,8 lenses.No doubt, it is the best UWA zoom lens in the world!!!!!

Jan 28, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Kliff to your Buddy List
lamontsanders

Registered: Apr 7, 2009
Review Date: Dec 25, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,625.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Works fantastically well on my Canon cameras. Much better than any wide offerings made by Canon. Absolutely love this lens even if I have to manually focus & do the aperture - a very small price to pay. The adapter works very well
Cons:
Not sealed, but that is my own fault for using it on a canon body. Not super heavy. The front element being a little exposed is scary. The lens cap is pretty dicey - don't pick it up by that thing or you are begging for an insurance claim.

I absolutely love this lens when used with a 16-9.net adapter on my Canon bodies. The width is absolutely fantastic and opens a lot of creative doors. The corners are sharp, the center is sharp, the color is great, the contrast is great. I was thinking about the Zeiss 21/2.8, which is in it's own right a great lens, but I am glad that I stuck with a zoom (I am just not a prime person - I need versatility). What a fantastic piece of glass, I wish Canon would step up to the plate and deliver something this good. Until then, I will be happy manually focusing this beautiful behemoth.

Dec 25, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add lamontsanders to your Buddy List
thanhuy

Registered: Apr 1, 2009
Review Date: Dec 18, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp even at wide open, well build, smooth and fast focusing
Cons:
Bulky, heavy...don't take filter

This lens and 24-70 is the must have lens. I had Carl Zeiss 18mm f3.5 and though no need to have another wide angle lens even though I heard so many people even friend saying good about 14-24. I finally give it a shot to rent one to try out and... end up to own one too :-). Now I use it more than Carl Zeiss. Zeiss 18mm f3.5 is an excellent but Nikon 14-24 can match Zeiss 18mm at every aperture. I have a chance to play with both and hardly to tell which one is the best. Although, Nikon 14-24 give me more flexibility than Zeiss 18mm.

All I can say is that it's one of the best wide angle lens out there so far.

Dec 18, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add thanhuy to your Buddy List
misanthropic a

Registered: Sep 26, 2004
Review Date: Jun 17, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,800.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fantastic lens and build quality, sharp wide open and even more so stopped down a bit. Fast AF, smooth manual focusing, weather seals are a nice touch too.
Cons:
Heavy, zooming while pointed towards ground or sky can be a bit harder, price is pretty high, no filters, minor distortion at extreme corners at 14-16mm. Minor quibles though.

This lens is the king of wide, and built like a tank. It's resolving power is nothing short of amazing, and it's color rendition is simply gorgeous. Wonderful contrast mixed with a suprising amount of flare resistance make for a simply incredible lens that pairs very well with either a 24-70 or 28-75.
It's limitations are limited, mainly weigh a good amount and can unbalance a D700 without a grip. It has some minor distortion at the extreme corners at 14-16mm, sort of a bemdng and pulling of the scene like a fun house mirror.

Jun 17, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add misanthropic a to your Buddy List
bobbytan

Registered: Feb 2, 2004
Review Date: Apr 14, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Close to perfect in terms of sharpness, color and contrast. 4-in-1 prime lens.
Cons:
It's not a Canon lens.

As a Canon shooter, I lose the AF function and ease of use. But it's still better than using a Zeiss, Leica, Zuiko .... or even a Canon prime lens.

Apr 14, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add bobbytan to your Buddy List
Rooster L200

Registered: Jan 1, 2009
Review Date: Mar 28, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: excellent build, precise, the new UWA KING!
Cons:

Excellent lens, sturdy, perfect images. Was able to get one from a photographer who was thinking of switching to Nikon just for his architectural pictures. He now is going to get he new canon tilt/shift lenses 17&24, much to my pleasure, since I was able to get this new lens for quite a lot less..... I'm very happy:-)!
As a DIY-er I'll wathc the 'products'of people in coming up with designs for fiters, although a certain amount of care does not inhibit 'full range' shooting.

Mar 28, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Rooster L200 to your Buddy List
miskelly

Registered: Feb 1, 2009
Review Date: Mar 3, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,115.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp,sharp,sharp even at 14mm in the corners
Cons:
front element exposure

This is the worlds best wide angle lens & along with the 24 70 2.8 are why i am a nikon shooter after 18 years of canon.
many people & review sites go on about the size of this lens
but if you have used/seen the 24-70 2.8 there is very little difference in practice as they are both the same length .the 14 24 is the same width across as the 24 70 with the hood reversed & is only 70g more weight.
if you have used any wide angle lens & thought the edges were so poor it was faulty.you will be very pleased with this lens ,The price is not cheap ,but if you look at the alternatives ie nikon 14mm lens for same price point! it is not as bad as it first looks,very good flair resistance/fab colours & build on a par with 24 70
cons -it wont take filters but neither does any other super wide lens so no big surprise really.

like many other reviews i to was / am a little concerned about the front element but if you get in to the habit of fitting the front cap after every use this should be fine .

if you like wide angle this will be the best lens your money will buy -just get it . & forget the 17 35 & 18 35 this lens make them look 20 years old.

Mar 3, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add miskelly to your Buddy List
eishier

Registered: Jan 19, 2009
Review Date: Jan 19, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Impressive optical quality,
Cons:
Bulky, no filters

The best reason to go for a Nikon full frame

Jan 19, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add eishier to your Buddy List
polizonte

Registered: Jan 25, 2006
Review Date: Jan 16, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, great color, very low distortion considering the FOV
Cons:
Unable to use with filters

Years ago I liked my old Nikon 28 f3.5 AI , Canon FD 24mm, and more recently a Canon EF 17-40 L but this lens is something else...

Jan 16, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add polizonte to your Buddy List
camandcheese

Registered: Jul 31, 2008
Review Date: Jan 5, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,840.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: fast ultra-wide angle zoom lens. Good build quality. Very Sharp
Cons:
Crappy lens cover always comes off when I take the camera/lens out of my bag. Can't put a filter on it.

Got this lens to go along with the 24-70mm f/2.8 on my D700 and I must say I'm really happy with this lens. I love the focal length, and its sharpness. The 14-24mm is a mainstay on my D700.

The only problem I have with this lens is the lens cap which comes off very easily. The rounded lens also stops you from using a filter so you must be very careful with it.

Jan 5, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add camandcheese to your Buddy List
eeyore_dave

Registered: Dec 22, 2008
Review Date: Dec 22, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Optical quality. Ability to zoom.
Cons:
Size, weight and cost. Large easy to damage, hard to clean front element.

This is an absolute stunner of a lens. (Price above is in AUD) Believe the reviews when they say this is the best wide-angle ever made! I have, in the past, used Canon, Contax, Hasselblad, Mamiya, LF, etc. This is absolutely the best one I have yet used in terms of flexibility (ability to zoom) and optical quality. Running the first few images through DXO Optics Pro, showed very little improvement. It just appears to be an overly sharpened image. But what DXO did fix was very, very slight amounts of CA, and the visible distortion. This lens doesn't vignette either!

Recent images taken at 14mm into the sun showed that all extremes of the image to be sharp and pretty much free of any chromatic aberrations, coma, etc. It is absolutely superb. The only complaint is that it does exhibit some distortion. But it is reasonably minor, and with the many RAW processors out there, it shouldn't pose much of a problem.

On the D700 it balances nicely, but I must say this is rather heavy and bulky lens, and the front element does REALLY stick out. Given its high price, but compared with the other Nikon 2.8 zooms like the 24-70 and 70-200, this is well priced. But given the optical quality, the price is superb.

If you are into wide angle, this is the lens for you!

Dec 22, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add eeyore_dave to your Buddy List
Andrej Korenc

Registered: Aug 14, 2007
Location: Slovenia
Review Date: Dec 9, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: sharp, fast AF, sharp, ergonomics, sharp.
Cons:
The inability to take filters may be of a problem to some users?

My first (ultra)WA lens was Sigma 10-20, which I used on my D100 and on the D200 later on. Then I replaced the D200+10-20 combo with D3 and this Nikkor 14-24 ...
When I'm talking to other photographers about this lens, I always say "It's a fantastic lens and that's all I'll say; all the rest has to be seen with your own eyes in order you'll be able to believe it!"

If I'd hear 2 years ago, that Nikon is planning to make such a lens, I'd say either it's impossible, or it's IQ will suck.

I can understand why there's practically no chance to implement a filter thread, even of a large diameter, in front of the front element, but still I'm asking myself, if the situation could be resolved by using rear drop-in filters?
Except for the protective (UV or Skylight) ones, I don't use any filters, so it really isn't a problem for me; but it could be to some.

If the lens' focal length would reach 28mm (lesser distortions than at 24mm), it would be, in my opinion, the most perfect WA lens ever made.

Dec 9, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Andrej Korenc to your Buddy List
violetblue

Registered: Jul 21, 2006
Review Date: Dec 7, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, contrast, color, build quality.
Cons:
Not much

WOW!!! That's all I can say. I moved to Nikon from Canon when the 5DM2 came out and it wasn't much of an upgrade. Bought a D700 and this lens. It's FANTASTIC. It has to be the best wide angle lens I've ever used.

Dec 7, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add violetblue to your Buddy List
mholdef

Registered: Sep 25, 2005
Review Date: Dec 5, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great sharpness, color, contrast and control of distortion
Cons:
Exposure of front lens element (but oh so beautiful)

This lens is superb, plain and simple. Have loved using it on my D700. Nothing really negative to say about this lens given the range it covers at such a wide angle.

Mark

Dec 5, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add mholdef to your Buddy List
MnGopher

Registered: Nov 25, 2008
Review Date: Nov 25, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,519.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: 1. Very fast focus in low-light. 2. Amazingly low noise at high ISO's, I have nice shots at ISO 3000. 3. File looks like film grain 4. quick access to controls 5. I really appreciate the auto ISO when used in Manual mode
Cons:
1. Battery needs recharge prior to 400 snaps. 2. I wish the grip was a little deeper for my hand. 3. My ACR with CS2 couldn't open the NEF files, I had to either upgrade to CS3 (very expensive) or purchase LightRoom (a little expensive) 4. Nikon software is horrible.

I had a Canon 1D Mark II N that I sold because if was just too heavy during a 8-10 hour wedding. I planned on purchasing the 5D Mark II, but then I started hearing about how the focus wasn't an improvement over 5D. I thought uh-oh... shouldn't have sold my 1D MKIIN. So what's a guy to do. I sold all my Canon equipment and bought a Nikon D700. The camera is amazing, it actually focuses better than my 1DMKIIN. What I mean by better is that it can lock-on to subjects in low-light better than the 1D MKIIN, and can track subjects better too. Auto focus for me is very important because I do weddings and events in less than desirable lighting situations, and the Nikon D700 is really a treat. It also blows my old 1D MKIIN away with in the higher ISO's. When using autio ISO in manual mode it is just amazing at what you can capture.. and when the images get grainy, the grain actually looks like film-so it the image still looks real. I do wish that the grip was a little deeper, as I want more to hold onto. I hope Nikon doesn't drop the ball again and continues to maintain/improve the quality. The software though that comes with the camera is horrible. I don't use it at all. Bottom line, best camera I've ever used in my life.

Nov 25, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add MnGopher to your Buddy List
alaina

Registered: Mar 21, 2008
Review Date: Nov 1, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp
Cons:
No filter possible

Shocking is the word I will use to describe this lens. I have been dealing with optics for around 15 years, in the area of ophthalmology. The best f2.8 lens in the market, though still could not challenge the primes. But do we have a good prime at that focal range?

Nov 1, 2008