Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8G IF-ED AF-S Nikkor

Focal Length: 14 - 24mm
APS Equivalent: 21 - 36mm
Max Aperture: f/2.8
Min Aperture: f/22
Diaphragm Blades: 9 (rounded)
Lens Construction: 14 elements in 11 groups, including 2 ED, 3 aspherical, and one Nano Crystal Coat element
Diagonal Angle of View
(Based on image circle): 114 to 84 degrees
Focus Details: Silent Wave Motor; Internal Focusing
Front Element Rotation: No
Zoom System: Rotary
Closest Focus: 28cm / 0.9 ft. (with focal length 18-24 mm)
Magnification Ratio: 0.15x / 1:6.7
Filter Size:
Dimensions
(Length x Diameter): 131.5mm x 98mm / 5.2 in. x 3.9 in.
Weight: 1kg / 35.3 oz
Notes: Integrated hood. Included Accessories: Semi-soft Case CL-M3

Pertinax222

Registered: Jun 20, 2014
Review Date: Nov 15, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,930.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Incredibly sharp at 14mm and very low distortion (if used carefully)
Cons:
There a lot of glass you need to be careful because no filter can be mount on this lens.

It’s an amazing lens which will you'll use at 14mm (the wide end) when used with full frame (FX) cameras. At 2.8 aperture, it's perfectly sharp even in the corners. If you need 14mm, you need it. But be aware : it's a speciality lens.

Usually, you won't use the range between 15 and 24mm because you already owns the 24-70mm. But here is a nice trick, at 24mm 2.8, this 14-24mm nikkor is perfectly sharp and has no distortion at all. Can you say the same about your 24-70mm at 24mm 2.8 ?? Nope ! bad distortion and less details in the image, specialy in the corners where this lens is sadly poor. Don't hesitate to check pictures at www.creativeviewphoto.ch and thanks for reading

Nov 15, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Pertinax222 to your Buddy List
oldshutterhand

Registered: Jan 24, 2012
Location: Hungary
Review Date: May 29, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp even wide open down to the corners, very good build quality, sharper than many prime lenses
Cons:
expensive, but it is worth it for people who know how to use it, no filters

This is an extremely good lens even compare to prime lenses. Sharp from corner to corner. Pictures sharp even almost 100% at the Nikon d7100 camera, a bigger piece of equipment though without vr.

See in more detail at:

May 29, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add oldshutterhand to your Buddy List
dimsonation

Registered: Oct 30, 2010
Location: Israel
Review Date: Dec 13, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Corner to corner sharpness, zoom range, sunstar
Cons:
Weight, Front element, short focus ring travel

I'm a landscape photographer

I got this lens as an upgrade for my canon 17-40L. Even at f/22, way after the diffraction kicks in, this thing was sharper than the 17-40 at its sweet spot.

It also replaced my Samyang 14mm 2.8 which i used for nightscapes. same sharpness wide open but without the heavy vignetting and better distortion characteristics.

Among other things i love about this lens is its sunstar. i just love it.

now to the negatives.

weight is somewhat of an issue if you want to travel light, but then in my case it replaced 2 lenses with combined weight similar to that of 14-24.

the ability to use filters can be of high importance to a landscape photographer. i use fotodiox wonderpana system and overall i'm pleased with the results

last thing which is fairly common for AF-S wide angle lenses is the very short focus ring travel, which might be tricky when you have to manually focus in certain conditions, but you learn to live with it as you get more experienced with this lens

Dec 13, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dimsonation to your Buddy List
eduardvdk

Registered: Jun 9, 2013
Review Date: Sep 30, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,600.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharpness, zoom.
Cons:
Weight, size.

From my point of view as a wedding photographer, I like to take shots with this lens ON the dancefloor, standing in between the people dancing. It gives such a feeling like 'you were there' if you see the pictures afterwards. Check out a few shots that I did on the dancefloot at http://www.bruidsfotograaf.nl/trouwfotograaf

The size and weight aren't really a pro here, but it always gives me the feeling that there's quality in the palm of my hand and that makes me happy.

Hope it helps by your desiscion,
Eduard

Sep 30, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add eduardvdk to your Buddy List
fotojev

Registered: Feb 13, 2010
Review Date: Aug 28, 2013 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Bought it again :-)
Cons:
The same as before but I can now overlook and manage them

See my previous review also but this lens is great. I have used it als a walk around lens in Italy (like Venice) on a d3x and it is do-able and recommendable.

Aug 28, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add fotojev to your Buddy List
the solitaire

Registered: Jun 22, 2013
Review Date: Jun 23, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp from corner to corner, well corrected, did I mention sharp?
Cons:

Some say the size and weight are an issue.

There is no other lens available that does what this lens does. Comparing size and weight to a lens that does something else doesnīt really make sense to me.

It balances nicely on a pro body or on a prosumer body with grip.

Itīs perfectly sharp from corner to corner at wide open aperture! Itīs 14mm FL on the wide end.

For landscape use easier access to cheaper filters would have been a plus (you can actually use Cokin P grads on APS-C frame sensors when cutting out the corners of the filter mount a bit and making your own adapter to hold the filter mount)

As things are however the LEE solution seems to be the best way to go on a full frame camera.

I owned this lens ever since it became available and havenīt managed to scratch the front element. I donīt use filters on it and I toss it in my bag without the lens cap all the time.

I shoot outdoors and move around a lot. I donīt think the vulnerability of the front element is that much of an issue. I donīt use protective filters on any of my lenses. Why would it then be an issue on this lens?

Jun 23, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add the solitaire to your Buddy List
photospots

Registered: Oct 29, 2012
Review Date: Nov 11, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: very sharp, wonderful colors
Cons:
Need special filter set

One of the most sharp lenses ever produced.
Doesn't take front filters, but you can buy an expensive kit if you need it.
The best wide lens zoom you can get even if you a Canon user.

Nov 11, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add photospots to your Buddy List
recordproducti

Registered: Jul 11, 2005
Review Date: Oct 1, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Ultra sharp, great IQ, very well constructed, just a superb wide angle lens.
Cons:
Heavy but that's not really a bad thing.

What's to say that's not been said already? It is heavy and it has a sticky out bulbous front element but this is a class act. I've been wanting one for years and finally I have one and all I can say is that it is impressive.

It's better at the widest end but for me not an issue as I tend to be between 14 and 20mm, the 24-70 covers 24mm for me. It is super sharp and *way* crisper than my old Canon 16-35L.

The overall 'look' is very good indeed. Highly recommended :-)

Oct 1, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add recordproducti to your Buddy List
John Daniel

Registered: Jun 6, 2004
Review Date: Jun 14, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,700.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: xtra-SHARP all the way, Usable on my 5D III, will be usable on my D800e,
Cons:
weights a ton, but it's worth it, it's huge but it's worth it, not easy to find filters (I got the LEE SW150 and I feel like I am shooting large format) but it's worth it and expensive but.... :-)

Jun 14, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add John Daniel to your Buddy List
fotofly

Registered: May 6, 2005
Review Date: Dec 4, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Usable with canon, it's as sharp as lens can get, I got new dimension in landscape photographing with this lens, ++ Now I can have friends from both sides C&N... Thank's Nikon for this piece of gold!
Cons:
Firs I thought manual focusing might be a problem with my 5dmk2, but I forgot that very soon after using it it's practically always in focus when 3ft away from the target and who needs filters nowadays anyway.

I'm happy landscape photographer from the northern hemisphere Finland and I have always wanted to try Nikon gear... my sister is Nikon girl and when I visit her I sometimes keep her N body in my hands but this is all I can do with it... my brains are not Nikon orientated and I feel like I'm holding newborn baby that looks like it just feel so uncomfortable that it will start this noisy screaming, so I let it be where it belongs. I have always had some complains about Canon wide angles and It was hopeless to find great performer for the fullframe body, luckily I heard about this adapter for 14-24mm and then I started to arrange this mission impossible to make adoption from Nikon civilization to Canon family. I'm happy I did because now I know better how to live in peace with the nikonians.

Dec 4, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add fotofly to your Buddy List
canonguy4ever

Registered: Nov 2, 2010
Review Date: Nov 14, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp throughout frame even wide open, gorgeous colours, ease of operation with 16:9 adapter on Canon body, don't need to buy filters as Aperture program has that covered.
Cons:

Just an amazing lens on my 5d and Mark III; thank God for the 16:9 adapters so us Canon folk can enjoy this beauty! Using the manual focus, with the confirmation chip, is a breeze and controlling the aperture with the lever is effortless. Truly a joy to use and is better then anything Canon has ever made in this range ( prime or zoom )

Nov 14, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add canonguy4ever to your Buddy List
fotojev

Registered: Feb 13, 2010
Review Date: Nov 13, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Very high IQ, fast, nice reach, weather seal, build quality.
Cons:
Vulnarable front, bulky, very very heavy.

I bought this lens second hand and used it for about 2 months. This lens produces very beautifull images and is fast and tops in several regards.

What I did not like was it's weight and I did definitely not like the vulnarable bulb on the front. I constantly needed to think about not scratching it. I could have lived with the weight but not with that bulb. So I sold it.

Nov 13, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add fotojev to your Buddy List
kicksrkrazy

Registered: Apr 19, 2010
Review Date: Jul 14, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, sharp, and sharp. Did i mention sharp!? Super Wide Contrast is beautiful
Cons:
Nothing

I bought this lens for my D90 and I love it. Super wide and super sharp. It is the most used lens out of my bag.

Jul 14, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add kicksrkrazy to your Buddy List
alibenn

Registered: Jan 19, 2005
Review Date: May 31, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Extremely sharp, very close minimum focus, superb DOF.
Cons:
The cost of filters.

What more can be said about this lens that has not already been said? There is no shortage of technical reviews, all verifying that in terms of wide-angled lenses, this is the one.

I use the lens on a D3x, which is a demanding camera in terms of details and sharpness. I find the 14-24 surpasses the 24-70 in terms of sharpness and color.

For a more complete review and some images please visit

May 31, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add alibenn to your Buddy List
Digital Gold

Registered: Apr 17, 2011
Review Date: Apr 17, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,989.99 | Rating: 9

Pros: Ultra wide angle, full frame, sharpness, limited distortion.
Cons:
Price, expensive filter holder adapters, built in lens hood

I do a lot of portrait shooting and wedding photography here in the Miami Florida area. This is one of my favorite lenses to use period. If you like shooting wide and are looking for a mega sharp lens with limited distortion this is the one for you.

Here are some examples of 14-24mm lens photos taken with my D3:

<a href="http://digitalgoldphotography.com">14-24mm Portrait Photo examples</a>

Apr 17, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Digital Gold to your Buddy List
OCphotography

Registered: Aug 23, 2008
Review Date: Aug 9, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: King of wide-angle!
Cons:
Not really, some say price, but you really get bang for the buck!

If you are into wideangle and want the best quality out there, look no further. This baby wont let you down, ever!

It is a beauty and it delivers! Fits perfectly on D3 series and D700!

Aug 9, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add OCphotography to your Buddy List

Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8G IF-ED AF-S Nikkor