144 147297 Jul 12, 2012
9.2
40d

Superb image quality: 10.1 Megapixel CMOS Sensor, extensive noise reduction technology, and 14-bit conversion for outstanding color tones and gradations.

Outstanding performance: 6.5 fps, burst rate up to 75 consecutive JPEGs or 17 RAW images and DIGIC III Image Processor.

Strong, rugged build quality: magnesium-alloy exterior, shutter durability-tested to 100,000 cycles, top speed 1/8000, top x-sync speed 1/250.

New AF system with 9 cross-type sensors, and world's first diagonal high-precision cross-type AF at center point with f/2.8 and faster lenses.

EOS Integrated Cleaning System, Picture Style settings, Spot metering, and Highlight Tone Priority for advanced in-camera image control.

Large 3.0-inch LCD monitor and advanced Live View Function with new options for reduced shutter time lag and quiet operation.

Wide range of accessories, including interchangeable focusing screens, extensive remote control options, new battery grip BG-E2N, and new dedicated wireless file transmitter WFT-E3A.

Type: Digital AF/AE SLR
Recording Medium: CF Card Type I and II and external media (USB v.2.0 hard drive, via optional Wireless File Transmitter WFT-E3A)
Image Format: 0.87 x 0.58 in./22.2 x 14.8mm (APS-C size sensor)
Compatible Lenses: Canon EF, EF-S, TS-E, and MP-E lenses
Lens Mount: Canon EF mount
Lens Focal Length Conversion Factor: 1.6x

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9  next

alexdi

Registered: Jun 5, 2004
Review Date: Jul 12, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Speed, UI, image quality, dynamic range, reliability
Cons:
Auto ISO, no MFA, not a 1D, doesn't make omelettes

For most folks, professionals included, this could be your one and only camera forever. It's missing nothing important. It's fast enough to get out of your way. It has enough resolution for giant prints. And you can get it now, in 2012, for $300. Incredible.

I bought this camera in 2007 and replaced it with a 50D this year. That was dumb. The 50D had a better LCD and worse image quality. The 30D before it was missing the AF-on button and had the antiquated pre-tab interface. This 40D is totally the sweet spot of used DSLRs right now.

9 stops of dynamic range. Clean files up to ISO 1600. Very forgiving in ACR, even in tungsten lighting that's giving me blue shadows with my 5D II at high ISO.

Speed, speed, speed. 6.3 FPS is enough for any amateur. Everyone I hand it to takes two or three shots by accident. Super-short shutter lag and mirror blackout. AF capable of tracking stuff, and unlike the 5D/5D II, the outer points actually work. Huge raw buffer and nearly instant image review.

It's just an extremely polished product. In actual use, the 50D, 60D, and 7D aren't any better, except for the AI Servo on the last. It's a steal. If you need a backup body or you're just getting into photography and don't want to spend a mint, buy one.

Jul 12, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add alexdi to your Buddy List
Pete in SD

Registered: Mar 5, 2012
Review Date: Mar 5, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $640.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Build and features.
Cons:

I bought my body used fourteen months ago with 9000 shutter clicks and been in love ever since. Never had a problem. The build is excellent for this level of camera (semi-pro). None of the bells and whistles like video and an articulating screen but those seem more like gimmicks than anything else for my purposes.

I opted for a used 40D over a new 50D and with the extra cash bought an EF 85mm f/1.8. It is a great combo! While the 50D does have Digic IV I cannot see any difference in IQ between my camera and my friend's 50D with the same lenses attached. With his 17-40mm f/4 L this body really shines!

The only way I can see myself giving this camera up is if it cannot be repaired for less than an equivalent Canon body or I decide to go full frame. If you have the chance to get it then grab it!

Mar 5, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Pete in SD to your Buddy List
40Driggs

Registered: Sep 16, 2008
Review Date: Jun 10, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,000.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: speed of operation, nice colors, good autofocus using outer points, "bang for your buck" quality.
Cons:
ISO performance over ISO 400, ai-servo only so so, LCD IQ when zoomed in, weather sealing could be better

This is a really fantastic camera, especially at it's current price point. I started with the 40D and ended up buying one as my second camera rather than going with the 50D. I didn't see anything about the 50D that was worth spending the extra money (for me).

I consider this to be a very well rounded camera. It isn't excellent in image quality like a 5D or 1D series, but still produces very nice images. Paired with top lenses, the 40D is capable of delivering professional level results. The autofocus system is "good." Not fast like the 1d IV or 7D, but holds it's own and is good enough for general purpose use and amateur sports and wildlife. 6.5fps is very handy in certain applications as well.

I would stack the 40D up against just about anything under ISO 400. It begins to show it's age however when you use the higher ISO's. ISO performance is certainly reasonable and good enough for small print and web use up to ISO 1600 with some careful processing, but images begin to look flat over ISO 400 in general. It probably isn't too far behind any of the APS-C offerings out there today though in this regard.

Over all I consider the camera to be a current best buy in the APS-C class. If you want the best in image quality for the price, get the 5D. If you want a camera that you can use in virtually any application and get great images, the 40D may be the camera for you.

Jun 10, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add 40Driggs to your Buddy List
Gary350D

Registered: Jun 13, 2006
Review Date: Dec 8, 2010 Recommend? no | Price paid: $1,200.00

Pros: Reasonable fps
Cons:
Limited focus points, poor quality and durability, shocking customer service from Canon

Well this camera (and Canon's poor customer service) killed Canon for me. After just over two years (coincidentally when the warranty runs out), less than 10k actuations, the mirror mechanism died a horrible death. I mean this camera was treated like a baby - I almost sang it to sleep every night. The best thing this camera did for me was to allow me to borrow a Nikon from a mate. I was never overly impressed with it from day one but I persevered, thinking it was my abilities letting me down. After an hour with the Nikon I was getting better results than after 8 years of Canon.

Sent it in to Canon for repair and was charged nearly half the purchase price. But it does not end there. Canon screwed up the repair and my pristine body came back like a dog's breakfast - dirt inside, scratches, loose grip, etc. After sending it back and forth three times it finally came back in fair condition 3 months later. So I am very disappointed with Canon quality and service - my review is probably more subjective than objective - but I have to look at my purchase holistically. I will NEVER buy or use a piece of Canon gear again and certainly will not recommend it to friends or family.

Dec 8, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Gary350D to your Buddy List
asanduloiu

Registered: Feb 2, 2009
Location: Romania
Review Date: Nov 29, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Durable, fast focusing, reliable, sharp.
Cons:

I've bought it second hand, more than a year ago. It had 2k at that moment and now it approaches 20k. I really have no complain about it! I use it with 17-40L and 70-200L and the results are great. I shoot mainly outdoors, landscapes or animals and you can check the results on my site www.sanduloiu.ro

Nov 29, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add asanduloiu to your Buddy List
aladyforty

Registered: Feb 3, 2006
Review Date: Sep 12, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Good Build, AF tracking, 6.5 fps, IQ, good high ISO performance, automatic ISO, DiG!C III, Live View, self-cleaning sensor
Cons:
Nothing I can think of

I purchased my 40D in march 2009 as an upgrade to my 30D. It has been an awesome camera. I think Ive had it round the dial too many times to count now and have passed it on to my husband who does not do as much photography (I'm upgrading to the 50D) and already he loves it as well. Used with the battery grip and L lenses this camera is a beautiful piece of equipment I would recommend to anyone who can pick one up in good condition

Sep 12, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add aladyforty to your Buddy List
AmbientMike

Registered: Feb 3, 2010
Review Date: Aug 5, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Fast, good iq, just love it. Live view is great. Durable and great ergonomics.
Cons:

I love this camera. Don't use it much any more since I got 5d but this camera has been bulletproof, fast, and good/great iq. If you don't need ff good luck doing better than this camera. Shot in rain and dried it off by heating in oven. Whacked on rock still works. Great ergonomics. Much prefer 40d to 30d and 5d in general but like ff of 5d. If you can do better than this camera, you are doing very well.

Aug 5, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add AmbientMike to your Buddy List
Edgars Kalnins

Registered: Mar 9, 2007
Location: Latvia
Review Date: Aug 4, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $800.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: live view, auto focus quite good, viewfinder
Cons:
not much really

My second DSLR, I was so glad to upgrade from 400D that I can not imagine going back. a handy tool this camera. live view especially handy with Zeiss glass I use. Now I am dreaming of FF camera. I would stay with this one if my preference was not the wide angle. Not much into wildlife and sports.

Aug 4, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Edgars Kalnins to your Buddy List
dustnet

Registered: Jul 30, 2008
Review Date: Jun 8, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,195.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Great sensor, great value for the money, 6.5 img/sec, built-in flash
Cons:
Well, no real cons, just consequences of the price and generation : No movie mode, no weather sealing, low rez screen, AF

Hi everybody,

I've been using this body as my primary body for wildlife for many trips. It never failed on me except some minor issues which I will discuss later. This body is today a very good value for the money, you can find it used at 500$ on the web.

Pros:
+ 10Mpx is really great for an APS-C camera. Diffraction starts only at f/9.3, which is fine with me (compared to the 7D, which starts to diffract at f/6.8) given the fact that when shooting wildlife, I'm rarely closing more than f/9 since I need fast shutter speed.
+ Screen is low rez (230k pixels) but large, so you don't feel like you have a hundred years old camera between the hands and you can review your pictures without getting a headache.
+ 6.5 img/sec is decent.
+ Liveview can be sometime very cool, to accurately focus or (sometime I found incredibly useful) to digitally zoom into a specific area to check something that you can't see with your binoculars or naked eyes.
+ APS-C sensors don't get as much dust as large sensors and they are handy for distant wildlife.
+ Built-in flash, cool when you just can't get your 580EX II because it's 100 yards away in the car...

Cons:
- No weather sealing, sometime, after a humid shoot, one of the button was just stopping to work for an hour or so (...). Having said that, the 40D is one of the most reliable camera I ever used (especially compared to the 5D II for example).
- No movie mode, but do you really need it ?
- Autofocus not really made for action.

As I said, I shot a great number of images with this camera, I strongly encourage you to check my blog and gallery for real world samples :

I sold this lovely camera 2 months ago because (and only because) I needed to have a second video capable camera (to go with my 5D II).

Thanks,
Emmanuel.

Jun 8, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add dustnet to your Buddy List
Dpic_arctic

Registered: Oct 31, 2009
Review Date: Mar 8, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $750.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent build, great price.
Cons:
Some may consider these cons: No movie mode; lower MP; no AF LV. (but I don't really miss any of these, for the price :))

This body has excellent "bang for the buck". It is very rugged and speedy. I like it because it doesn't have the extra MP of newer bodies. 10 MP is just right for me right now. It provides the perfect balance considering image size (MB) and resolution. I would recommend this over any Rebel unless you want the movie mode, or the higher MP for resolving more sharpness in L lenses. This body can be obtained on B&S for great prices now. Fabulous deal!

Mar 8, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Dpic_arctic to your Buddy List
curkey

Registered: Jul 17, 2005
Review Date: Feb 2, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Handling and balance (with battery grip), clean, vivid and crisp pictures, high shooting rate, reasonably silent shutter, live view, low light performance, pop-up flash surprisingly ok, exchangeable focus screens
Cons:
Dreadful AF hunting with fast moving objects (airshows), no proper MLU, front and back focusing issues, useless auto ISO, low LCD resolution, no AF-ON button on vertical grip

Together with my EF 70-200/2.8L and 27-70/2.8L this makes a nice combo. Especially with the battery grip everything is nicely balanced.

After lugging this kit around for half the afternoon you will swear and curse in all colourful ways, but after you see some crisp keepers passing by on your monitor you know it was all worth the effort.

For portraits I only use manual focus, because when using AF it front and back focuses all the time and I just can't get it right. The LCD does not help either in judging sharpness, cos what looks in focus on the LCD is often horribly OoF fullsize (and not just a bit).

I use some Contax & Leica dapters as well, so I'm pretty used to MF and in combination with LiveView it works fantastic.

Shooting airshows is not fun with AF, the 70-200 caught initial focus very quick, but tracking was impossible, even when the subject was on middle AF point all the time (try to lose a C5, no way) it kept hunting. From 450 pics 280 were OoF. After switching to MF and leaving stuff at infinity, only 12 out of 300 were bad... The high fps (6.5/s) rate is very handy here, me likes it.

Low light results are impressive as long as you get exposure right and avoid > 800 ISO. 1600 is usable for smaller prints.

For studio-ish work I really like the LiveView and tethered shooting via the USB cable, handy when camera is positioned awkwardly on a tripod.

Feb 2, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add curkey to your Buddy List
bindi

Registered: Jan 23, 2010
Review Date: Jan 23, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: nice weight, easy to learn controls, lot of info in viewfinder, fps
Cons:
iso at 800 and above

I have had my 40D for 20 months now and have done about 14000 shots. I moved up from a 350D and keep that for a 2nd camera.

The 40D is sold by canon as a level above the 350/400D and it certainly is. Much better iso usability, faster autofocus, much better feel in the hands and far more true colour.

I have found that 800 iso is not sharp but probably usable to print 6 x 4 prints, but 1000 iso and above should only be used when you can't get the shot any other way.

I think my next camera will probably be a 5D mark 1 as I am expecting better iso capabilities with that even though it is older technology with a smaller screen and no iso idicator in the viewfinder. As an amateur, I can't justify the mk11 just yet.

I think the 40D will remain with me for quite a while as the backup camera, especially in well lit places. I have learnt how to use the 580ex11 well enough when it is possible to bounce and keep the iso down, but that is not always possible.

I haven't owned a 50D, but doubt the image quality would be any better than the 40D. It, of course, has newer technologhy, better screen, more pixels and video but a good 2nd hand 40D will continue to be great value for a while yet. I think the next level is a full frame, not the 7D.

Jan 23, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add bindi to your Buddy List
ChazzD

Registered: Dec 4, 2009
Review Date: Dec 4, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $699.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Good Megapixel to Sharpness ratio, Dust reduction system, 3" lcd viewer, 6.5 frames per sec. Good sturdy construction-makes the rebels and lower end Nikons feel like toys. the list goes on and on...
Cons:
lack of micro adjust for lenses, auto ISO is just 400-800 and not customizable, (Not really negatives just lack of features)

This is a very good value camera right now. It takes great sharp pictures and is capable of some fast FPS for action shots. Noise levels at higher ISO are not bad (most newer cameras are better in this area). The camera is very user friendly and the menus are pretty good. I upgraded from 20D (another very good camera) the changes from the 20D to the 40D are fairly significant. Although, the picture quality difference is not much, most of the time. Sharpness per Pixel is easily on par with the 20D which is well know for sharpness. I believe that the per pixel sharpness of the 40D beats that of the 50D. (the 50D does ad some features, if they are important to you I am sure its a fine camera)

Look at the professional reviews of this camera for more details and sample shots. All I can say is I am very happy with this camera and will be keeping it for a while.

It would be nice if canon offered a bit more weather sealing on there "prosumer" cameras. I don't plan on shooting much in rainstorms but the protection would be nice.

Dec 4, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ChazzD to your Buddy List
Haring

Registered: Sep 11, 2009
Review Date: Sep 11, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: fast, good iso!
Cons:
image quality is less good compared to 5D

I use my canon 40D with my 35mmL, 85mmL, 17 40mmL and 24-70mmL The output is just fabulous!!!!! The quality is almost as good as the Canon 5D. The screen is better than my 5D. the high speed shutter is very fast!!!!!
Go the www.haringphotography.com if you want to see samples.
Good camera.

Sep 11, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Haring to your Buddy List
svx94

Registered: Mar 25, 2005
Review Date: Aug 10, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $750.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Practical, work horse.
Cons:
All the things lacking on Canon (compare with Nikon bodies)

I switched to Nikon D700 but can't give up on the sweat 70-200 F4L IS, so I got an used 40D, instead of using a heavy Nikon 70-200/2.8 VR. The benifit of having a 2nd body for telephoto is just too great Smile

The 40D is a much improved camera compares with the 20D. It IQ is almost better than the 50D, and focus, controls are definitely better than the 5D2. The control, sensor cleaning and AF are the most important improvement over the 20D/30D. I especially like the custom settings on the dial. I picked this one over the 5D2 and 50D. But none of the Canons can match the Nikon bodies. Unfortunately, Nikon doesn't offer a nice 70-200 F4 VR like the Canon.

Aug 10, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add svx94 to your Buddy List
tomKphoto

Registered: May 1, 2007
Review Date: Jun 23, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $925.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: great value, clean output upto ISO1600, brisk auto focus in marginal light, optional grid finder, improved control layout compared to 20D/30D
Cons:
review screen shows soft & very saturated images with odd color balance, no usable Auto ISO like Nikons in this price range.

To me, this camera is a classic. At the time of this writing, I own three 40Ds for Wedding work. The 40D corrects many performance & ergonomic issues of the 20D and 30D that came before. ISO changes are quick with a dedicated button and viewfinder indicator. The low light Auto Focus is great for this price range. The optional grid finder was long overdue. The signature black Canon hotshoe is actually a good thing - the black paint would just come off in heavy use.

JPEGs up to ISO1600 are very clean thanks to wonderful Noise Reduction and the Highlight Protection that really works. The ISO1600 shadow banding of the 30D is gone and the 40D shadow noise just looks like film grain, as it should.

What's not to like? There's no useable AutoISO like comparable Nikons, and the review (chimp) screen shows soft images with unreal saturation and an odd hue balance.

40D or 50D? I chose not to update to the 50D because of the much reported noisier ISO1600 output compared to the 40D. Canon should've stopped at 12mp which is probably the ideal spec for this sensor size.

Jun 23, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add tomKphoto to your Buddy List

144 147297 Jul 12, 2012