144 147916 Jul 12, 2012
9.2
40d

Superb image quality: 10.1 Megapixel CMOS Sensor, extensive noise reduction technology, and 14-bit conversion for outstanding color tones and gradations.

Outstanding performance: 6.5 fps, burst rate up to 75 consecutive JPEGs or 17 RAW images and DIGIC III Image Processor.

Strong, rugged build quality: magnesium-alloy exterior, shutter durability-tested to 100,000 cycles, top speed 1/8000, top x-sync speed 1/250.

New AF system with 9 cross-type sensors, and world's first diagonal high-precision cross-type AF at center point with f/2.8 and faster lenses.

EOS Integrated Cleaning System, Picture Style settings, Spot metering, and Highlight Tone Priority for advanced in-camera image control.

Large 3.0-inch LCD monitor and advanced Live View Function with new options for reduced shutter time lag and quiet operation.

Wide range of accessories, including interchangeable focusing screens, extensive remote control options, new battery grip BG-E2N, and new dedicated wireless file transmitter WFT-E3A.

Type: Digital AF/AE SLR
Recording Medium: CF Card Type I and II and external media (USB v.2.0 hard drive, via optional Wireless File Transmitter WFT-E3A)
Image Format: 0.87 x 0.58 in./22.2 x 14.8mm (APS-C size sensor)
Compatible Lenses: Canon EF, EF-S, TS-E, and MP-E lenses
Lens Mount: Canon EF mount
Lens Focal Length Conversion Factor: 1.6x

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9

foxfrog

Registered: Jan 23, 2004
Review Date: Sep 18, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,295.99 | Rating: 9

Pros: Dittos on all the pros. This was an upgrade from the 10D for me. Purchassed three days ago with the 24-70mm L and the 70-200mm 2.8 IS. No buyers remorse at all. Only con is the small, non-backlit histogram which I find difficult read on the right side in outside light.
Cons:
Histogram hard to read with no backlight unlike other XXDs

Great camera with enough, if not too many, features for anyone. IQ is much better than 10D and the 3" display is welcomed. All that I find lacking is a backlit histogram like my 10D has. Almost bought the 5D instead (has the backlit histogram. I can't say the 5D I borrowed was better than the 40D, they are different. If I were into landscape I would have opted for the FF 5D. The upgrade from the 10D is a real eye opener, but that will not make me a better photographer.

Sep 18, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add foxfrog to your Buddy List
CTO-Photos

Registered: Dec 2, 2004
Review Date: Sep 17, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: In the context of upgrading from a 20D, you get faster focus, quieter shutter, spot metering, picture styles, large screen, 'My Menu' Settings, moderate boosts in resolution (both pixel count and bit depth), faster transfer to PC, three programmed custom set ups (C1 to C3), self-cleaning sensor and dust removal.
Cons:
Dull screen, awkward Live View, complicated plethora of options.

Overall a substantial upgrade from the 20D and a better camera to use. Definitely worth the price of admission for some one with a well-worn 10D or 20D. (My 20D has over 70,000 exposures on the clock.)

Liveview is a disappointment. The process is too complicated and the screen is too dull to use outside for those unusual perspective shots. My G7 is much better for the purpose. Most of the ones that I took using Liveview were out of focus. It is useful in a studio setting for framing shots on tripod, but turn it off when you want to actually take photos. I suppose you could use a black cloth like the photographers of previous generations and hide under it to frame and focus - with a tripod of course! The large screen is not as crisp as it should be. The good news is that if a photo looks good on the screen, it will be great in CS3, but it is not like an Epson P-2000 or equivalent. Dare I say that the screen is actually too large? Is that possible? The buttons are crammed at the very limit of the body so that they are actually a little uncomfortable to use.

I don't know whether I had forgotten the initial set up trials that I had with the 20D (now nearly three years ago), but I went through the process again with this beast and only now after about 700 hundred exposures and many adjustments, is it beginning to produce predictable results.

I did some side-by-side comparison shots with the 20D, 40D and G7. Of course the 40D and G7 have the same resolution though the aspect ratio is different. Both DSLRs blow the G7 out of the water for quality, noise, etc. But I am still trying to identify how the 40D images are better than the 20D. Images from both cameras take tweaking, but I am trouble seeing the effect of the additional 2-3 bits of depth resolution. Perhaps it will become apparent under high contrast or other difficult situations.

So where are we after this ramble? I needed a new body. I would like full-frame, but the 5D doesn't cut it for me and the others are waaaay out my price range. I love the quieter shutter and the increased responsiveness over the 20D. The 40D still feels good in my hands, though there are many subtle changes in the shape of the body. Overall, I have no buyer's remorse. I am going to enjoy this camera and may be even take a good photograph or two.

Sep 17, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add CTO-Photos to your Buddy List
Nick Brickett

Registered: Sep 17, 2007
Review Date: Sep 17, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Massive screen, Auto-clean, 6fps, improved rubber cover on data ports, liveview, much improved menu system.
Cons:
None so far.

Just picked mine up today from Jessops after waiting a week for the camera to come into stock, pre-ordered last week for 806, and was kindly informed the price had dropped since I purchased it - so I was given the difference back!

Having spent the last few hours playing around with it in my usual habitat, I can honestly say it's a very welcome upgrade over my 20D. I've been using my 20D for 2 years now, and although it's still a brilliant camera, it isn't a 40D that's for sure!

The first thing you notice when you pull it out of the box is the huge screen. It's a monster. Compared side-by-side to my 20D, it's roughly three times the size. Wow!
I started to play with Liveview, and after turning on the Custom Function that allows me to AF with the AF-ON button, I can say that Liveview will probably help me greatly once I work out when I'll need it!

I shot off a few RAWs and loaded them on my Mac. Unfortunately Preview and Aperture don't seem to currently support Canon's updated CR2 format, and CS3 would only accept them after I updated CameraRaw. I can live with just using CS3 for now, but it'd be nice to be able to import into Aperture (and preview in Preview) sometime soon!

All in all, a fantastic camera - I can see us having a very happy relationship together Wink
(the missus is already getting jealous!)

Sep 17, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Nick Brickett to your Buddy List
nativeridge

Registered: Aug 17, 2007
Review Date: Sep 13, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros:
Cons:

This camera is my step up from a much loved 300D & have to say the love affair is well & truly over, the 40D is a beast!

The feel of this camera is probably the first thing that impressed me - weight & contours of body is truly spot on. Response time with every function is instant. AF is fast & accurate. LCD - yes its large & menu is very easy for me to find my way around. So far I can see no other use for Live View apart from Macro (with manual focusing)

Custom settings is GREAT - MLU ,highlight priority & Live View enabling for me Smile CAREFUL highlight priority when enabled will kill ISO 3200 in Manual setting (did my head in!!)

I can HIGHLY recommend if you are jumping from an entry level DSLR & seems the jury is still out on benefits of upgrading from 20D/30D to 40D.... I looked long & hard at the 5D before making a decision to wait for successor to 30D (hoping for a true upgrade) & I'm not disappointed with that decision or this camera.

I like the crop factor & love the fact that this camera has already been stated as comparable in IQ as the 5D. w00t!!

Sep 13, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add nativeridge to your Buddy List
XAOC

Registered: May 29, 2007
Review Date: Sep 12, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Live view, Big LCD, Improved Auto focus, fast, self cleaning.
Cons:
Hard to read from screen when is bright.

I just upgraded from EOS Rebel xt and I can say it's great improvement. I love the dust cleaning system and I can say this camera is FAST. I love this camera it's fast large display life view and the picture quality is awesome.

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add XAOC to your Buddy List
Sorensiim

Registered: May 30, 2007
Review Date: Sep 12, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Superb colors and AF performance. Feels very solid. 6,5fps and very low noise from the shutter. ISO performance quite good as well. Partial weathersealing.
Cons:
None so far.

Stellar performer. Upgraded from 400D, and what a difference! Feels like a rock compared to the 400D, and the pictures are great. Colors are extremely accurate, and the AF performance is AMAZING! Spot on, every time. Took these shots just running around the garden to try out the camera:

Both shot with a Tamron 17-50 F/2.8. The lens performs much better on the 40D. With my Canon 70-200 f/2.8L USM attached, the images are just jawdropping, nothing less. Unless i win the lottery and can suddenly afford the 1Ds Mk III, this camera is a keeper.

I absolutely love the way you can customize everything - and the 3 custom settings on the dial are extremely nice to have Smile

Buy this camera, you wil NOT regret it!

Sep 12, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Sorensiim to your Buddy List
Mike C.

Registered: Aug 31, 2003
Review Date: Sep 12, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,250.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Having spent the last two months with the new mk3, it is like the mk3 just gave birth to the 40D. Great camera for the money, its very hard to fault. For Pros this is a perfect backup, and great for the long lenses.
Cons:
None that I can think of.

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Mike C. to your Buddy List
Jim Victory

Registered: Oct 9, 2003
Review Date: Sep 12, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,299.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Picture IQ, Live View, AF accuracy and speed, menu system, LCD, and handling.
Cons:
Doesn't AF with lenses with a f/8 native aperture.

I have owned the XT, XTi, 10D, 20D, 30D, and 5D as well as all of the 1 series cameras, including the 1DMKIII.

This camera definitely outperforms the other xxD series cameras both in IQ and AF performance. ISO noise is very similiar to the 20D/30D with maybe a slight improvement. It is very close to the ISO performance of the 5D.

Resolution is also very close to that of the 5D when compared at 100% crops. When the 5D image has to be cropped to the FOV of the 40D the detail and resolution differences are quite obvious in the 40D's favor.

The other additons and improvements are just icing on the cake because the difference in AF performance is well worth an upgrade. The large 3" LCD is nice for these old eyes and it works great when using it to zoom in to focus in Live View.

One feature that is an improvement over the 1DMKIII is the ability to AF while in Live View. Evidently the previous reviewer, Ian Moore, who indicated this was not available in the 40D didn't read his manual. On page 114 of the manual it clearly states custom function III-6 can be set to AF while in Live View using the AF-ON button and center focusing point.

I'm very please with this upgrade and it makes a nice companion to my 1DMKIII. The menus are very similiar as are the controls which makes the transition from one to the other easy.

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Jim Victory to your Buddy List
Ian Moore

Registered: Sep 12, 2007
Review Date: Sep 12, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Size/weight, GUI, 3" screen, 6.5 fps, 9 cross AF, shooting modes, sensor cleaning, Writing warning/protection when CF door is opened. Intuitive controls. 1/3 stop adjustments, customizability. Great Kit lens (28-135 IS). Spot Metering. Digic III processor
Cons:
Plastic battery cover hinge. No AF during live view. "New" BG-E2n grip has no AF-On, lackluster Auto ISO.

I upgraded and supplement my 10D with this camera. It is an solid improvement over the 10/20D I find it to be less compelling if you own a 30D.

First the bad: The hinge on the battery cover is now plastic. It's asking to be broken. the 10/20/30D had a metal hinge and attachment. It was harder to detach when using a grip, but it wasn't going to break easily.

There's liveView (great) but no autofocus (why, when the Nikon D3 has it?) I personally won't use liveview often, but when I do, I'd likely want to have AF, because the camera will be above my head, or around the corner or someplace else I wouldn't be able to manually focus. So this seems like a strange omission. I hope they don't release a 40Dn or something and add this feature; I hope they might offer a firmware upgrade to fix this.

There's AutoISO (nice!) but it's kind of broken. "Auto" in manual mode = fixed at 400. How is that automatic? Auto in the basic zones is 100-800 and you can't program it at all. Nikons since the D70 could shift ISO at a user-defined shutter speed i.e. when the shutter dropped below 1/30, the camera would automatically increase the iso the appropriate number of stops to compensate. Canon's AutoISO doesn't seem to be that responsive. Fortunately having not been used to this, I have learned to adjust on my own and Canon's buttons have not changed and it's quick to adjust.

That said, having used a 10D for years, this camera was worth upgrading. It feels more solid in my hands than the 10D. It maintains canon's solid performace and control, and for me shooting at 6.5fps finally makes AEB a reality for me.

The use of picture modes give much better control over color/sharpness/saturation, while Canon's CMOS sensor still delivers exceptional quality in high ISOs with low noise.

I chose a 10D over a Rebel and hence a 40D mostly for its customizability. Through custom functions you can really make the camera fit your style of shooting.

The 3.0 Screen is a welcome improvement over the 10D screen. Not so much over a 30D's 2.5" screen.

If you do not own a digital SLR already, this is a fine camera to start with. But remember that the camera doesn't matter it doesn't take pictures for you nor does better camera = better pictures.

The 40D is the first camera that "mostly gets it right", and I don't foresee the need tp upgrade unless 35mm sensors ever drop to <$1500. For the way I shoot, this camera will serve me for years, just as I still use my 10D as a secondary camera.

Sep 12, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Ian Moore to your Buddy List
EOS20

Registered: Mar 6, 2005
Review Date: Sep 12, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Improved viewfinder, Fast and accurate Autofocus, Live view and large LCD.
Cons:
Screen still hard to read in bright light.

I bought the 40D to replace my 20D and so far its been a worthwhile upgrade. The new viewfinder is a nice improvement, the AF is faster and more accurate and the new mirror is allot quieter then the 20D's.

I have a written a mini review here:

Overall a nice upgrade from anything bellow the 30D.

Sep 12, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add EOS20 to your Buddy List
Allen Maestas

Registered: Feb 17, 2005
Review Date: Sep 12, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,299.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Probably the best review which actually sees it as I do. http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/canon-40D-handson.shtml
Cons:
See Link above.

For the money, this is an awesome camera. I loved my 30D and this upgrade just takes it to another level. I plan on keeping this camera for a long time.

Allen Maestas
www.photosofnewmexico.com

Sep 12, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Allen Maestas to your Buddy List
Bhawth22

Registered: Aug 28, 2007
Review Date: Sep 12, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,280.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Price, improved shutter noise, AF, automatic sensor cleaner, and most importantly, the image quiality.
Cons:
Doesn't work with Adobe products yet (minor complaint) otherwise nothing.

Great improvement over my 20D!

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Bhawth22 to your Buddy List
dennyg

Registered: Apr 19, 2005
Review Date: Sep 12, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,299.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Solid build, Large screen, Dust/water resistant
Cons:

With the limited time I've had the 40D, it appears to be a huge improvement over the 20D it was meant to replace. I want to get some shots with my 5D and see how they compare, especially at high ISO.

Sep 12, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dennyg to your Buddy List
grendel

Registered: Apr 3, 2005
Review Date: Sep 12, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,300.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Major upgrade over 20D. Essentially everything is improved: Much faster/more accurate A/F, better viewfinder (though still no 5D), better build, quieter shutter, etc.
Cons:
Number of buttons starting to get more awkward than the 20D, LCD is not nearly as snazzy as the current crop of Nikons, still not fully sealed.

One of the things I appreciate about Canon's design is its consistency. Picking this camera up, it takes no time at all to adjust from any of the previous cameras in the model line (D30, D60, 10D, 20D, 30D). It feels almost instantly like my old 20D and that's a GOOD thing. Of course, after using it for a while, the 20D stops feeling as good as I remember it feeling. The 40D definitely feels more substantial.

It's still too early for me to say how the image quality has changed. Certainly it's better, but not astonishingly so. That's hardly a surprise, since the 20D already produced fantastic images that, unless you're a serious pixel peeper, rival those out of any DSLR.

What is improved, though, is the user experience. Image quality is a moot question if you don't get the picture in the first place, and that's where this camera is a big improvement. Quieter shutter, faster mirror blackout, bigger viewfinder (the extended eyepoint might be even more important), VASTLY improved autofocus. Live View is actually very nice for tripod work; with the ability to zoom in 10x into the viewfinder, you can always get the focus a little sharper than the AF system can.

My only complaints would be that this camera is starting to experience a bit of feature creep, and Canon still hasn't given us complete weather sealing (what would that cost, $5 in rubber?). I could do without the sports mode or the night portrait mode or the landscape mode or the different color profiles, or the print button, especially if it meant having fewer buttons to accidentally push. Otherwise, though, it's not a 1-series...but it's getting closer.

Sep 12, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add grendel to your Buddy List
Aaron Collins

Registered: Oct 4, 2006
Review Date: Sep 11, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,299.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Excellent image quality, custom modes, fast and easy to use, menu system fast, new NR works awesome, super fast AF, shoots 6.5 FPS!!!
Cons:
Buffer shrinks to 6 shots when using NR :-( My only complaint.

For the money, this is the best camera I have ever seen. Everyone has seen the specs and knows what this camera is "supposed" to do, well I can say it does it and does it well. The low light autofocusing is the best I have ever seen, although I have never used a 1 series. I can honestly say however that even if I could afford a 1 series I might not be tempted as this body is so easy to use and weighs much less, not to mention the crop factor for long lenses. I'm very happy with this product.

Sep 11, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Aaron Collins to your Buddy List
Alek Komarnits

Registered: May 3, 2007
Review Date: Sep 11, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,299.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Reduced high ISO noise, Autofocus is quick/accurate, 6.5 fps and huge burst buffer is nice, my older eyes like the bigger viewfinder & LCD, and just general solid feel. Nice looking images too - happy buyer!
Cons:
LCD should have been higher-res. Wish they would have brought across the "eye sensor" on the XTi that auto-toggled the LCD shooting info screen. Could have done better with the weatherproofing. No micro-autofocus adjustment (maybe in a firmware upgrade).

I was coming from a Rebel XTi ... so this was a step up for me ... and a very nice one at that. So much so that I write my review of the Canon 40D versus the XTi. As noted above, the good IQ at high ISO is impressive and the autofocus is quick/accurate - here is some AI Servo testing where it seemed to track pretty darn well.

And "Buzz Lightyear" says the 6.5 frames/second is like a machine gun! ;-)

While a few areas where it could be improved (see Cons), I'm overall very happy with the 40D (gawd, I hope I don't sound like a Canon fanboy!) ... and can't help but think that with all of its capability and mid-range price, it will take some sales away from the 1-Series.

P.S. Actual price paid was $1,499 {ordered through Amazon - funny saga there) but that was the kit price which includes ("for $200 more") the 28-135 lens.

Sep 11, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Alek Komarnits to your Buddy List

144 147916 Jul 12, 2012