144 147506 Jul 12, 2012
9.2
40d

Superb image quality: 10.1 Megapixel CMOS Sensor, extensive noise reduction technology, and 14-bit conversion for outstanding color tones and gradations.

Outstanding performance: 6.5 fps, burst rate up to 75 consecutive JPEGs or 17 RAW images and DIGIC III Image Processor.

Strong, rugged build quality: magnesium-alloy exterior, shutter durability-tested to 100,000 cycles, top speed 1/8000, top x-sync speed 1/250.

New AF system with 9 cross-type sensors, and world's first diagonal high-precision cross-type AF at center point with f/2.8 and faster lenses.

EOS Integrated Cleaning System, Picture Style settings, Spot metering, and Highlight Tone Priority for advanced in-camera image control.

Large 3.0-inch LCD monitor and advanced Live View Function with new options for reduced shutter time lag and quiet operation.

Wide range of accessories, including interchangeable focusing screens, extensive remote control options, new battery grip BG-E2N, and new dedicated wireless file transmitter WFT-E3A.

Type: Digital AF/AE SLR
Recording Medium: CF Card Type I and II and external media (USB v.2.0 hard drive, via optional Wireless File Transmitter WFT-E3A)
Image Format: 0.87 x 0.58 in./22.2 x 14.8mm (APS-C size sensor)
Compatible Lenses: Canon EF, EF-S, TS-E, and MP-E lenses
Lens Mount: Canon EF mount
Lens Focal Length Conversion Factor: 1.6x

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9  next

Joe A.

Registered: Jun 26, 2006
Review Date: Oct 30, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Improved in all ways over the 20 D and the 20 D was my workhorse and favorite camera.
Cons:
They could get rid of that absolutely stupid "print" button by making it a programable button--I would love to program it for mirror lockup.

In comparison to the 20 D:

1) Shutter noise is much less
2) The anti-dust feature is very welcome,
3) High ISO performance seems a tad better
4) Feels a bit better in the hand, actually feels close to perfect in the hand.
5) The "two-speed" burst modes (3 and 6 fps) are a real improvement over the 20 D, (Although the 30 D had this.)
6) Auto focus remains good or is perhaps even better,
7) Custom settings are immediately helpful.
8) Somewhat higher resolution although I've yet to notice this much in the less than 900 shots I've now got on the 40 D. (5 days old)
9) Viewfinder image seems somehow better and
10) ISO is displayed in the viewfinder.
11) Shooting controls are almost exactly the same as the 20 D--no need to re-learn "in hand" controls. (Selecting focal point, exposure lock, exposure compensation, DOF preview, etc)

Generally a very nice improvement over the 20 D--a camera which remains capable of incredibly good pictures.

The 40 D also accepts the 20 D and 30 D grips and of course uses the same battery--thus making it easy to travel or work with 20, 30 or 40 D backs in combination. This is a real plus when shooting events or weddings where a backup or second camera is really necessary.

The price is good too--$200 less than a 20D in 2004.

Oct 30, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Joe A. to your Buddy List
Steve Langton

Registered: Oct 29, 2007
Review Date: Oct 29, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: 6.5 frames per second Large screen Viewfinder information
Cons:
'Only' 10 megapixels More noise at high ISO than my 5D

I bought this camera as a back-up for my 5D and also to use for wildlife photography - I basically shoot travel and landscapes but also enjoy some wildlife photography, the fast frame rate was a major positive point as the 5D only shoots 3 fps. No problems so far, although it seems to have more noise above ISO 800 than my 5D. Overall very pleased.

Oct 29, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Steve Langton to your Buddy List
Sea Dragon Rex

Registered: Oct 28, 2005
Review Date: Oct 29, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Solid build, very nice image quality, easily understandable layout, easy function change, 6 fps, bright viewfinder, fast and accurate AF, 3" viewing screen readable in sunlight.
Cons:

I bought this camera to replace my XT and was considering this versus the 5d but found the 5D will too slow (3fps is not fast enough).

The functions were very intuitive coming from the XT. The viewfinder is much brighter and easy to see. The information in the viewfinder is also quite helpful. The view screen seems huge compared to the XT (though resolution could be nicer but it has no impact on IQ). The drive is amazing compared to the XT (I can't imagine what the 1DS III must be like).

Focus with my 2.8 zooms is fast and accurate and so far, the AI servo seems to work better than my XT. The camera is huge compared to the XT but feel right. It has a solid feel and feel well balance with the bigger lenses.

The IQ seems quite nice (and we'll see how the IQ compares to the XT when I make some big prints). Overall, I'm quite happy with the performance of the camera.

Oct 29, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Sea Dragon Rex to your Buddy List
jchin

Registered: Jan 1, 2005
Review Date: Oct 22, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,500.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: 6.5 frames-per-second, faster focusing system, LiveView, ISO in viewfinder, larger frame buffer, quieter shutter
Cons:
AWB is "off" relative to the 20D in the exact lighting situation. Battery door is a cheap "snap-in", unlike the 20D which has a spring-loaded hinge.

The new Canon 40D is a great camera!

The fast 6.5 frames per second (fps) is outstanding. Coupled that with the better auto-focus system makes capturing moving objects (mainly kids running) a lot easier.

Full-time ISO in the viewfinder is great. No longer do I have to fumble to change the ISO or forget what ISO I was using.

The larger LCD is an excellent update. It allows for a better view of the image exposure and composition. The color histograms as well as luminance histogram is excellent.

LiveView is useful for those over-the-head shots where you cannot look through the viewfinder. Too bad AF (auto-focus) is cannot be triggered with the shutter, as an option. However, there is an AF-ON button for that purpose; which is great for macro photos, but can be slow for those over-the-head shots.

The option to remember Custom-Settings is a bonus; it gives you the ability to save commonly used settings for known lighting situations, so no more fumbling to change the settings for those known lighting situations.

10mpixels is sufficient for the average professional photographer. However, I would have preferred 12mpixels or even 10.5mpixels, just to have more than the XTi.

The larger frame buffer is great, makes my existing Kingston ElitePro cards work better.

The shutter is much quieter relative to the 20D and 30D, a plus for many. However, some prefer the 30D shutter over the 40D as it sounds more like a traditional film camera shutter.

The battery door is a cheap "snap-in", unlike the 20D which has a spring-loaded hinge. However, all the 20D/30D accessories, such as battery grip and remote shutter cords, works.

AWB seems to be "off" relative to the 20D in the exact lighting situation. Maybe a future firmware release can fix this.

Overall, the 40D has excellent build quality, beyond my expectations coming from a 20D and having used a 30D.

A definitely BUY recommendation!

Oct 22, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add jchin to your Buddy List
CountryBob

Registered: Oct 3, 2006
Review Date: Oct 21, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,470.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast accurate focus, beautiful colors, great large screen, easy to navigate around and great build quality.
Cons:

I bought this camera 4 weeks ago and have found it a delight to use. I will not get all technical as I will leave that up to others, all I can say is with the results I have had I could not be more happier!

Oct 21, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add CountryBob to your Buddy List
Mark Holloway

Registered: Jul 28, 2005
Review Date: Oct 15, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Speed, Quality, Size of rear LCD
Cons:
To be fussy - location of power switch

I upgraded from the 350D to the 40D & am very pleased I did.

I do not notice a huge improvement in Image Quality but the 40D is certainly much easier to use.

The large LCD screen (we'll be laughing at how small it seems in 2 years time!) is great - I can actually see the image AND the histogram at the same time now.

Ergonomically it is great as well - fits easily into my hand & just feels right.

Custom Functions are very useful enhancement to my 350D as well.

Oct 15, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Mark Holloway to your Buddy List
Ian Faulkner

Registered: Sep 13, 2007
Review Date: Oct 13, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Build quality, Large LCD, anti dust technology, LIVE view remote viewing from computer
Cons:
Only 10 meg - 12 may soon be the norm elsewhere! find a better use for that print button

Had this for around 4 weeks and have not yet mastered all its tricks. Coming from a 20D I have no regrets about the upgrade.

For me the best feature is Live View - I take a lot of macro shots and the ability to run a USB output from the 40D into my 24 inch monitor, magnify the image 10 times and manually perform a real time remote adjustment of the lens focus with a few mouse clicks, is simply stunning. Issues of camera shake as I struggled to adjust the lens by hand, whilist looking thru the viewfinder are a thing of the past. For macro work, I can not over state the advantage of this approach, over what has gone before. I get sharper results in less time!

Oct 13, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Ian Faulkner to your Buddy List
Peter twohey

Registered: Aug 21, 2007
Review Date: Oct 11, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 7

Pros: Tactile-feels good in hand-great speed for buck.
Cons:
Could have been so much better.

What is it with Canon?They get so much right yet so much wrong.Its like we are tied into their lenses-so we must take their bodies!
There is a lot that is good about the 40D-It is tactile the finger notch on the grip is great as is the rubbery feel -it is fast -great for you sports fans and wonderfully smooth to handle.But I feel cheated.This camera could have been so much more.The reviews I have read must have come from die hard fans-or do we just need convincing that we have spent our money wisely?
The much vaunted LCD screen is crap. Sure its large -but the quality is dreadful.The ability to fine tune the important menus is also lacking--WHY??? Nikon have been able to do this in more basic cameras!!!!Come on Canon we are beng short changed.
Again the much hyped live view screen will be of little use to 99% of Canons core prosumer users particularly when you cant autofocus.
The buttons on the 40D are great--they are just in the wrong place for ease of use.The guys that designed the 400D got it right-everything is accessible with either thumb or forefinger-great design.
And yet there is much in the menus that is great and the custom functions are brilliant.
But intrinsically this camera is a con.The 400D will take just as good pictures for nearly half the cost---Not that it would have made a great deal of difference-but why not 12 or 15mp-at least there would have been some bragging rights!
I have got my 40D and I can live with it.I will even enjoy it.However I will be looking very closely at Mr Nikon from now on.

Oct 11, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Peter twohey to your Buddy List
Peter Kirk

Registered: Sep 25, 2004
Review Date: Oct 9, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,830.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: faster focussing than my 30D, high ISO performance, 10mP
Cons:
plastic battery cover

I have had the D60, 10D, 20D, 30D and now the 40D.
It is a very pleasing camera, even compared to the 30D. Its focus is absolutely spot on.
I use a 1DmkIIn as well, and its focussing speed is not that far off.
Used the 40D with my 300 2.8L IS, tracking cars at 60-75km/hr, didnt miss not one shot.
I am very pleased.

Oct 9, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Peter Kirk to your Buddy List
mg98

Registered: Mar 24, 2005
Review Date: Oct 8, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,300.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Quality build (similar to 5D); ISO 3200 slightly more usable than the 20D; auto-exposure better than my 5D in some instances; they finally buried the "Erase All" images function elsewhere in the menu system so you won't accidentally erase all of the images when you want to erase just one..(yay!).
Cons:
The buttons they moved to under the LCD accidentally get pushed when the camera hits your midsection; low-light performance worst than 5D; 3.0" LCD seems to have less clarity/detail than the 2.5" LCD (on the 5D and 400D).

I have to admit I was kind of looking for a "mini 1D MIII" when I bought this camera for my wedding photography because some early reviews led me to believe it was just that. I've shot three weddings with it now (along with my 5D) and have been a little disappointed. Outdoors, it's been great...though, I'm not sure you'd be able to tell the difference between the 10.1mp 400D (which I also own) and the 10.1mp 40D in good light. In low light indoors, the auto-focussing of the 40D has not kept up with my 5D, even with it's improved system over the 20D & 30D--i.e., I'm able to shoot in existing low light better with the 5D than with the 40D.

I find the new, larger 3.0" LCD--which has the same number of pixels as the smaller 2.5" LCD, the pixels are just larger--makes images appear less sharp/clear than the 2.5" LCD; it actually leads me to believe more of my images are out-of-focus than really are. And Canon's decision to relocate some of the buttons that used to be on the left side of the LCD to beneath the LCD is truly an engineering design flaw; these buttons keep getting accidentally pushed when the camera bounces against my mid-section! I finally had to attach a piece of 3/16" weather-stripping just below the buttons to create a gap between the bottom of the camera and my stomach so this would stop happening.

I still believe this is a good camera (see the "positive aspects" I've cited), but I wonder if I'm kidding myself trying not to spend the $4500 for 1D MIII when it really has what I need/want. I think I'll wait to see the 5D's successor (it's got to be coming out soon, right?) before I make that decision though.

Oct 8, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add mg98 to your Buddy List
Zoltan ZZZ

Registered: Oct 4, 2007
Review Date: Oct 4, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Usability ability to quickly change shooting style with camera user settings and custom menu page ISO display in viewfinder
Cons:
Have not found any yet too busy shooting

After agonising for a couple of weeks I upgraded from the 20D 6 days ago and have shot 6 gigabytes worth of pictures (RAW). As far as image quality is concerned I do not see much difference, I do not pixel peep, I assess the quality of the photo and there is no discernable difference to my eyes. The major difference is the usability of the camera; it is a huge improvement over the 20D and for that alone the upgrade is worth it. My shooting varies from day night HDRI, panoramas, nature and portraits. If you have used a 20D you will know how awkward it is to switch between the types of shooting. Enter three camera user settings on the mode dial. I can go from shooting HDRI to night shots with mirror lockup-timed exposure and noise reduction in one turn of the dial, or to a plain single nature or portrait shot. That to me makes the camera usable; I can now spend my time shooting instead of wading through menus and custom functions. In addition if you need to access certain menu function you can have 6 customised menu functions on one page. I skipped the upgrade to the 30D because I did not see that much change; the 40D is a major improvement at least for my shooting style. I can now think about the picture composition not what I have to do to take it; it is definitely worth the upgrade for the type of shooting I do and compared to a 20D it is a dream to use.

Oct 4, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Zoltan ZZZ to your Buddy List
ellenmac

Registered: Sep 1, 2005
Review Date: Oct 2, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast focus, beautiful colors, lovely bokeh, bigger screen.
Cons:
I haven't found any yet.

I have come from the 20D. It has served me well for over two years. As my interest is in photographing birds, I really appreciate the fast focus. The color is exact and noise , well I have not experienced any yet even at 3200 ISO. All in all I am very happy with this camera.

Oct 2, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ellenmac to your Buddy List
AviB

Registered: Jun 21, 2005
Review Date: Oct 1, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,299.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Rich in features, build quality, improved image sensor and self cleaning, resolution
Cons:
none. If I wanted to be picky, I'd say the rubber flap over the ports for USB, remote- seems flimsy

If you own the 20D and want to upgrade your time has arrived. The 30D was not much of an upgrade but this camera is so rich in features- you'll love it. All you need to do is to match it with some quality lenses and you are good to go.

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add AviB to your Buddy List
jaimo

Registered: May 11, 2004
Review Date: Oct 1, 2007 Recommend? | Price paid: $1,299.00

Pros: Handling, focusing, build, images, 6.5 fps, 10.2mp.
Cons:
partial weather sealing. can't use my E1 handstrap

I got a classic "lemon" the first copy and sent it back for a refund. Absolutely no problem. Second copy is a winner. I love the feel, reminds me of the 1D MII I had but without the bottom third of the body and the weight. I'm also glad to be done with the oversized battery charger for the 1D series. I don't shoot sports professionally, nor am I newsbeat photog or war correspondent, so the high fps of the 1DMIII are totally unnecessary. The 6.5 fps on the 40D are great --with high in-focus results.

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jaimo to your Buddy List
jaimo

Registered: May 11, 2004
Review Date: Oct 1, 2007 Recommend? | Price paid: $1,299.00

Pros: Handling, focusing, build, images, 6.5 fps, 10.2mp.
Cons:
partial weather sealing. can't use my E1 handstrap

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jaimo to your Buddy List
Bmeister

Registered: Oct 20, 2003
Review Date: Oct 1, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,295.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Great AF, excellent high iso noise reduction, fast operation overall. Highlight tone priority works very well. The 3" LCD is very good.
Cons:
No lens AF micro-adjustment No AF Servo sensitivity adjustment Spot metering limited to center point rather than selected AF point

By no means am I doing a thorough 40D review, that's been done. I've been shooting with 1-series bodies since switching to Canon many years ago, but also carried a 10D for travel and family gatherings. The 10D was getting ready for semi-retirement and I replaced it with the 40D. There are times when the 1dmkII is just too much and the G7, which I always carry, is not enough. The 40D fits the bill perfectly and at the right time. The 20D gave me no reason to change from the quiet 10D, the 30D was no different from the 20D to my eyes, but the 40D is significant, and it's not solely because of the 10mp. If you look at mp only, you miss the bigger picture.

The AF performance, with 9 cross-type sensors, is spectacular for this price point and dare I say it "compares" well enough to the 1-series in AI-Servo to be a capable third back up. I've already done successful testing of indoor prep sports with great results. The speed of operation is excellent with nearly instant-on and it's always ready to shoot. Image review is fast and the 3" LCD, while not hi-res, is bright and readable and seems not to affect battery life which is still extraordinary. The fact that I can keep using the reliable BP511 batteries is a plus. Handling is excellent for my large hands, but the BG-E2 grip doesn't look as nice on the 40D as the BG-ED3 did on the 10D; the BG-ED3 on the 10D made it look like one solid camera while the BG-E2 on the 40D definitely looks "tacked on" although it fits nice and tight. A small nit pick.

Image quality is excellent and the high-iso, which is equal to the 20D/30D, gets better when using the in-camera noise reduction function. You pay a price with less buffer when using noise-reduction, but the chroma noise is gone and the detail retention is excellent at 1600 and 3200 iso. The 14-bit color makes for much larger RAW images (14mb) but does appear to provide smoother color transition if you know what to look for when doing post work in RAW. The in-camera JPGs appear softer than the converted RAW images unless you set the in-camera sharpening to 7 (the max). I like the in-camera JPGs at this sharpening setting.

Another great feature is HLT (highlight tone priority). If selected, the 40D processes the JPGs to keep highlights from being blown and yields a bit more in the shadows at the cost of iso100/3200 selection and more-but-barely-noticeable shadow noise; I love it. When it comes to exposure, it appears that the 40D exposes images a bit darker than did the 10D (and 20D/30D I hear), but that depends on what you shoot and what the backgrounds are like; I'd prefer a little less exposure than over-exposure, but the exposures for me are in line with my 1DmkII bodies shooting the same things.

Live View: I don't use it, but I suppose it is nice for macro work for focus checking if you really need critical focus and have trouble using the viewfinder when manually focusing.

If you shoot action, the 40D will make you very happy coming from the 10D and also the 20D and 30D which I have had plenty of opportunities to shoot in the past. If you don't shoot much action, then I see no reason to switch from a 20D/30D unless you want the live view or HLT or want better low light focusing. If you have a mkII and cannot justify another as a back up or want a lightweight alternative, the 40D will do a decent job. It is NOT as fast as a 1DmkII to acquire targets and hold them, but does a respectable job all around.

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Bmeister to your Buddy List