146 155368 Nov 17, 2016
9.2
40d

Superb image quality: 10.1 Megapixel CMOS Sensor, extensive noise reduction technology, and 14-bit conversion for outstanding color tones and gradations.

Outstanding performance: 6.5 fps, burst rate up to 75 consecutive JPEGs or 17 RAW images and DIGIC III Image Processor.

Strong, rugged build quality: magnesium-alloy exterior, shutter durability-tested to 100,000 cycles, top speed 1/8000, top x-sync speed 1/250.

New AF system with 9 cross-type sensors, and world's first diagonal high-precision cross-type AF at center point with f/2.8 and faster lenses.

EOS Integrated Cleaning System, Picture Style settings, Spot metering, and Highlight Tone Priority for advanced in-camera image control.

Large 3.0-inch LCD monitor and advanced Live View Function with new options for reduced shutter time lag and quiet operation.

Wide range of accessories, including interchangeable focusing screens, extensive remote control options, new battery grip BG-E2N, and new dedicated wireless file transmitter WFT-E3A.

Type: Digital AF/AE SLR
Recording Medium: CF Card Type I and II and external media (USB v.2.0 hard drive, via optional Wireless File Transmitter WFT-E3A)
Image Format: 0.87 x 0.58 in./22.2 x 14.8mm (APS-C size sensor)
Compatible Lenses: Canon EF, EF-S, TS-E, and MP-E lenses
Lens Mount: Canon EF mount
Lens Focal Length Conversion Factor: 1.6x

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9 · 10  next

rpallagi

Registered: Feb 2, 2005
Location: Hungary
Review Date: Apr 12, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: IQ, High iso, auto iso, LCD, speed, AF
Cons:
jog dial sux

I own a 10D, 1Dmk1, 1Dsmk1. This is the only camera I bought impulsively. I was at a store where I asked if I could take a look at it. I liked it and I took it home.

I do portraits and wedding. Oh my! High iso and the LCD compared to my other cameras makes this model the most enjoyable to use. The auto iso also is something I gotten used to from the very first minute!

I named it the baby 1D. IQ is on par with 1ds, speed with the 1D and size with the 10D. Now if it was a full frame camera it would be perfect.

I took the baby out to a salsa night on its first day:
here is the gallery. I used manual mode iso3200 (i didnt know about high iso smoothing then) tv15, av2.8, lens 24mm 2.8. It was a great night. I kept most of the shots!

not too much post process, I used lightroom.

Awesome camera, and I think its the beginning of a beautiful friendship. Only thing I miss is the ability to adjust focusing of lenses. Nikon does it so should canon! Now I cant wait for a 1 series camera in this size!

Apr 12, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add rpallagi to your Buddy List
Rey_G

Registered: Mar 31, 2008
Review Date: Mar 31, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,091.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Digic III, 14-bit, bright viewfinder, quick and accurate AF, large screen, sturdy build, self-cleaning sensor, live view.
Cons:
Auto white balance could be better.

Upgraded from my trusty 20D. 30D didn't offer enough improvements over the 20D to justify an upgrade but the 40D does. Improvements over the 20D include a brighter viewfinder, quicker and more accurate AF, larger LCD screen to preview shots, self-cleaning sensor, updated menu system/UI, and live view. I find live view indispensable for landscape shots. Definitely a worthwhile upgrade and the high ISO noise reduction is a welcome addition, giving the images a more film like grain with reduced chroma noise.

Great camera and nice evolution of the XXD series.

Mar 31, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Rey_G to your Buddy List
copeg

Registered: Jan 16, 2007
Review Date: Mar 26, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Solid build, superb image quality, fast shutter speed, sensor cleaning
Cons:
Red light illuminates on back of camera during exposure (not great for long exposures)

I recently upgraded from the 350D to the 40D, and there were so many dramatic improvements it was incredible. When I first picked up the 40D the immediate thing I noticed was the solid build. I was even further impressed after playing around with the camera for a while: I was incredibly impressed with the fast shutter speed, and the image quality was such a step up from the 350D there really isn't even a comparison.

Before I purchase the 40D I was in the - what seems like - common dilema: 40D or 5D? Given I shoot a lot of birds and wildlife, the fast shutter and 1.6x crop were the deciding factors and I don't regret it in the least. Of course I wouldn't mind the full frame for landscapes, but that's what the 10-22mm lens is for right? As for those extra 2+ megapixels...I'm guessing that difference will only be just barely noticeable in a 20x30 (or bigger) print.

Mar 26, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add copeg to your Buddy List
neridah

Registered: Jul 16, 2006
Review Date: Mar 25, 2008 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 1

Pros: bigger screen
Cons:
Poor LCD Screen resolution awkward sounding shutter mechanism plastic cf card compartment

I upgraded to this from a 30-D and will be selling it to get another 30-D (Back-up) Very disappointed with this so called upgrade.

Mar 25, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add neridah to your Buddy List
Panthera

Registered: Feb 20, 2005
Review Date: Mar 24, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $995.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Low noise high iso, solid build, feels good in your hand, sensor cleaning
Cons:
buttons on the rear are too low (under the big lcd)

I like this camera very much. Only big con is those buttons on the rear that are too low on the body. When the camera hangs on your neck they easily get pressed by your waist belt. It's not fun when you are to take a picture very quick and notice that the camera is switched off by accident. Grrr. I solved this problem buying a battery grip, but that one makes it a little more havy.

Otherwise this is a very nice camera to have, specially the (partially) weather sealing and sensor cleaning.
It has everything I missed in the 20D and I allready liked that one very much.

Highly recommended.

Mar 24, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Panthera to your Buddy List
Angelo Gallo

Registered: Dec 5, 2007
Review Date: Mar 21, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,269.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Low noise, fast shutter, live view, sensor cleaning, 14 bit capture and easy navigating menu.
Cons:

Great camera! I moved up from the CANON EOS RebelXT (350). Quite a difference in build and performance. The 6.5 shutter speed is awesome. As well as the low noise and high shutter speed (1/8000). You just can't get a better for that kind of money. Nikon's D300 is a great camera - but for the money - again - you can't go wrong with the 40D.
To repeat - the menu navigation is great. I've tried the D200 it's menu is loaded - with stuff that I'd never really use.
I highly recommend the 40D.

Mar 21, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Angelo Gallo to your Buddy List
Mark Cullenane

Registered: Dec 26, 2007
Review Date: Mar 6, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Brilliant camera I changed from Nikon to get this camera, my reaction the first time I tried one, "I Gotta get me one of these"
Cons:
Apart from needing to rebuy all new canon L lenses to replace my Nikon ones, NON

I changed form using Nikon digital cameras to the 40D after trying one, I have abolutly no regrets even taking in to account needing to buy all new lenses.

PS I still have my old canon Film cameras canon A1 35mm 1981 Vintage still working perfectly if the Digital does half as well I will be very satisfied

Mar 6, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Mark Cullenane to your Buddy List
tanglefoot47

Registered: Oct 12, 2004
Review Date: Feb 19, 2008 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Fast for sports, feels great. love the large LCD, great keeper rate
Cons:

Love this camera I have moved up from the Rebel, 20D then the 30 now the 40 and imo it's the best yet. I get so many more keepers with this camera compared to the others I have owned and love shooting sports with it

Feb 19, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add tanglefoot47 to your Buddy List
marcel w

Registered: Aug 21, 2005
Review Date: Feb 11, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Looks and feels like my 20D, no need to learn new tricks with this camera. Great pictures, good saturation and colour depth. Large screen, silent shutter. Better value for money than 20D when purchased.
Cons:
Was expecting more "newness" compared to previous cam. Preview on rear screen not as sharp as I wanted.

I was quite excited to open the box and hold this brand new piece of equipment for the first time. It took me only a few minutes to dial through the menu, get it all set and start shooting! Feels just like 20D, only picture quality makes the big difference. Shooting indoors proved easy, fast AF even on low contrast surfaces, low noise levels up to iso 1000. More colour depth gives some more playroom at post processing. Overall, after about 800 shots I'm very happy.

Feb 11, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add marcel w to your Buddy List
tqli07981

Registered: Jan 10, 2006
Review Date: Feb 9, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,150.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Quieter shutter sound, 3 in LCD, ability to adjust ISO in 1/3 of stop, price and picture quality
Cons:
I can not think of in this price range

I used to have a 20D and love to use it very much and it is always produce reliable results with the right glass. Now upgrade to this 40D body which comes at lower price point than the 20D I bought 2 years ago. It is a better camera period. You do not quantum leap in tern of picture quality, but that is only because 20D is already so good (again in this price range). It is a better camera in term of controls, ability of adjustment, software that comes with it. I feel the adjust of ISO setting in 1/3 is particular useful if you shoot indoors alot. It is not like you have to choose either 800 or 1600 on the 20D, but you can set at 1000 or 1250 which is sentitive enough to get cleaner shot compare to the picutre at ISO 1600 of 20D. Still has the same fill and same reliability of my 20D. So I am very satisfied with my upgrade.

Feb 9, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add tqli07981 to your Buddy List
big country

Registered: Nov 27, 2006
Review Date: Feb 7, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,000.00 | Rating: 9

Pros:
Cons:

I have used a rebel xt, 20D, 30D, 5D, and the 40D. This camera is my favorite. Even though i have the mighty 5D, I always grab this camera. Something brings me back to it every time.

I have printed images at 20" x 30" from this camera and they have been superb! If i were in the market to move up from the rebel series, I would probably get this over the 5D, and the 5D is a nice camera!

I love the live view and look forward to future generations of DSLR cameras that have this feature as it evolves.

I also love the 6.5 fps. This thing sounds like a machine gun when it gets going. It is noticably different than the 30D in tihs respect as well.

I start to see a little bit of noise around ISO 1600, but the images are still very good.

I wish Liveview was a little more advanced.

Feb 7, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add big country to your Buddy List
davidmarsh

Registered: Oct 26, 2004
Review Date: Jan 20, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 7

Pros: Great build quality, well thought out controls, crisp images, good feel, good pric ein the UK, 700
Cons:
bad noise levels

I have always been a big Cannon user and use these for our work as both web designers and photographers. Having been lucky enough to have had every DSLR model that Canon has produced we have gained a good insight to the product.

Whilst the 40D has some advantages over the 30D, we have been very disappointed with its noise levels. In reality most 40D users will probably not have an 'L' lens attached which probably means they will have a lens that starts at f3.5 upwards. Thus they will probably be looking to keep their ISO around 400-500 as a minimum, particularly if you live in northern Europe.

Whilst the colour reproduction is good and the megapixels are OK, at anything over ISO 1500 we found the images to be poor particularly if you have a dark background. Even when using the Canon 50mm 1.2 L lens, we still got a lot of noise. The images were crisp but certainly unusable in a commercial world!

Jan 20, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add davidmarsh to your Buddy List
2bruce

Registered: May 18, 2005
Review Date: Jan 14, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Super IQ with good lenses ,Fast shooting! great dial and menu access, nice screen size,silver-metal flash shoe so no scratches! live view, feels great nice grip.
Cons:
none for this price!

love the feel of this camera after my xti and its menu access options are great easy to navigate.
Super IQ with good lenses ,Fast shooting! great dial and menu access,
nice screen size,silver-metal flash shoe so no scratches! live view,
feels great nice grip.

Jan 14, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add 2bruce to your Buddy List
Eddie Konno

Registered: Dec 30, 2007
Review Date: Jan 4, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Easy-to-navigate menu, C1-C3, View finder as good as Elan7NE.

Jan 4, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Eddie Konno to your Buddy List
Andrew Welsh

Registered: Jan 19, 2007
Review Date: Jan 3, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,145.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: FPS, 14-bit RAW files (big deal for astrophotos), live view, etc.. basically all the new features vs the 20/30D are a plus here. A superior camera next to the 20D, and makes the 20D look like a toy.
Cons:
RAW files sometimes are flaky.. Canon's DPP sometimes can't read them... I'd heard reports of this from others too and I forget the solution. The copy I bought also had a backfocusing problem and had to be sent to the factory repair center for service.

It's very unlike me to go and buy the latest years' model. I prefer to buy a used item at a lower price... which I did in the case of this camera. 14 bit raw files, live view and PC exposure control with the Bulb setting ON (i.e. remote shooting with longer than 30sec exposures) are tremendous astrophotography advantages. Thank you Canon! I couldn't pass up these features for this hobby of mine.

14-bit raws and highlight tone priority will be helpful for weddings as well. The FPS hands down makes this a sports and wildlife camera for enthusiasts and advanced amateurs, esp. with the 1.6x crop. Affordable for mere mortals!

AF improvements are TBD for me, but the spec sheet from Canon sounds great.. I'll have to try it out once I get my camera body back from the facotry to repair my backfocusing problem.

Already these can be found used with very few clicks for $1100ish being sold here on FM and photo.net... and the camera has only been out since September.

I like the feel of this camera better than the 20D. Just beefier. The shutter sound is less obtrusive but also less film camera like. So it will be less disturbing in situations where you need to be discreet. There are so many new features and upgrades in comparison to the 20D it's crazy not to upgrade if you have the funds.

Oh and the camera will cook toast and pour a bowl of cereal for you for breakfast if you ask nicely. It's that great. Buy it now, you won't regret it!

Jan 3, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Andrew Welsh to your Buddy List
deriscal

Registered: Dec 5, 2005
Location: Poland
Review Date: Jan 1, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very well build, good grip-for those with larger hands, quick menu/picture style, great buffer, exchangable fucusing screen, 6.5 FPS and very quiet mirror mechanism.
Cons:
Legendary PRINT button...No comments...

Jan 1, 2008