144 145406 Jul 12, 2012
9.2
40d

Superb image quality: 10.1 Megapixel CMOS Sensor, extensive noise reduction technology, and 14-bit conversion for outstanding color tones and gradations.

Outstanding performance: 6.5 fps, burst rate up to 75 consecutive JPEGs or 17 RAW images and DIGIC III Image Processor.

Strong, rugged build quality: magnesium-alloy exterior, shutter durability-tested to 100,000 cycles, top speed 1/8000, top x-sync speed 1/250.

New AF system with 9 cross-type sensors, and world's first diagonal high-precision cross-type AF at center point with f/2.8 and faster lenses.

EOS Integrated Cleaning System, Picture Style settings, Spot metering, and Highlight Tone Priority for advanced in-camera image control.

Large 3.0-inch LCD monitor and advanced Live View Function with new options for reduced shutter time lag and quiet operation.

Wide range of accessories, including interchangeable focusing screens, extensive remote control options, new battery grip BG-E2N, and new dedicated wireless file transmitter WFT-E3A.

Type: Digital AF/AE SLR
Recording Medium: CF Card Type I and II and external media (USB v.2.0 hard drive, via optional Wireless File Transmitter WFT-E3A)
Image Format: 0.87 x 0.58 in./22.2 x 14.8mm (APS-C size sensor)
Compatible Lenses: Canon EF, EF-S, TS-E, and MP-E lenses
Lens Mount: Canon EF mount
Lens Focal Length Conversion Factor: 1.6x

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9  next

mach250

Registered: Mar 22, 2008
Review Date: Sep 13, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Good if you are just starting out with DSLR's, half beginner modes and half advanced modes on the dial so you can take your time learning.
Cons:
Starting to feel the crop sensor squeeze, 5D is *only* a couple thousand more :P

Sep 13, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mach250 to your Buddy List
Terrence Credl

Registered: May 27, 2007
Review Date: Sep 13, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,035.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: love everything about this camera
Cons:
non that i see

Sep 13, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Terrence Credl to your Buddy List
John Korduner

Registered: Jan 5, 2008
Review Date: Sep 12, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $825.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Cost-Benefit analysis is second to none
Cons:
This seems to be the Canon model where body size starts to become noticeable to those around you.

Although I just acquired this camera yesterday, I think it's amazing. I had a great deal of fun learning the ropes with my XTi, but after only a few hours with my 40D, I've immediately noticed the expanded capabilities.

I won't go into excessive details, but it seems like every option in this model is an improvement. Discussing specifics, there doesn't seem to be any individual function that is monumentously better than my Rebel, but I feel the cumulative upgrade results in an exponential improvement.

I have no idea what bells and whistles the 50D can claim over this camera, but I can't imagine they are significant enough to warrant nearly twice the price of the older model. For those willing to wait, I'm sure the price savings will increase significantly over the next month or two...which will only change this from a great buy to a must buy.

Sep 12, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add John Korduner to your Buddy List
Nezza

Registered: Nov 24, 2005
Review Date: Sep 9, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Liveview. Big LCD. Fast.
Cons:
Noise at high ISO

I bought this as a second digital body after using the 5D for a couple of years. It handles well and liveview is great for astrophotography. I like the big LCD on the back as well, but the noise performance is nowhere near as good as the 5D.

Sep 9, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Nezza to your Buddy List
WakeTurbulence

Registered: May 8, 2006
Review Date: Aug 28, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: 6.5 FPS, Faster AF, 10MP
Cons:
ISO performance

Overall I love the 40D. There are things I wish Canon made better, but I feel I got a great camera for the price. The AF speed and accuracy are great as well as the frame rate. The only thing I am not a fan of is the noise (especially in the shadows) from ISO 400 and higher. After 800 it is not usable to me. All in all I don't think I will be upgrading to the new 50D because I am still happy with the 40D's performance.

Aug 28, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add WakeTurbulence to your Buddy List
abam

Registered: Apr 25, 2005
Review Date: Aug 24, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: build quality is nice; ergonomics much better than the drebel series; coupled with a quality lens, the combo lends a good amount of heft to quell a shaky shooting hand (think steadicam); feature-packed; fast continuous shooting great for moving targets; long shutter life almost garantees that an anthusiast will trade up before the camera wears out; IQ from this camera is potentially on par with the 5D -- the DOF however isn't...
Cons:
with 1.4 primes, the camera gets rather confused and doesn't hit the correct focus plane as much as i would want -- i'm not looking for perfection in an 800 body, but a 40% miss rate in tripod tests is discouraging; no micro-AF adjust; the 9-AF points aren't at all useful for vertical shooting; spot metering is 3%, not 1%;

firstly, i am very happy with this camera, AF issues with ultra fast primes aside. for 800, you get quite a bit of camera for your money.

to put this into perspective, i paid 800 for a 350D in 2005. that an enthusiast can get such a well-built, feature-packed, ergonomically-correct camera for the same price a mere three years later, is very encouraging when one considers the future.

it is a prosumer camera, so it's not without its foibles, crippled sections of firmware (micro AF adjust?), and the auto focus points/lock problems. the camera will not be everything to everyone, especially for people who have tried higher end equipment, or like me, own a 5D (or something "better", for lack of more fitting terminology).

this will most likely be my last 1.6 crop body, as full frame prosumer offerings will themselves only become more and more accessible to enthusiasts, and cheaper and cheaper as well. even so, this is the best 1.6 body that i've shot with/owned, and i can imagine that the announced 50D, with it's micro adjust, ISO increase, MP increase, and other improvements will - as has rightly happened with the 40D - become very popular.

cheers.

Aug 24, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add abam to your Buddy List
michiphoto

Registered: Aug 22, 2008
Review Date: Aug 22, 2008 Recommend? | Price paid: $1.30

Pros: Variable ISO, very nice IQ even at higher ISOs, AF speed!, usability.
Cons:

The perfect reasonably priced camera body for gymnastics or other sports under difficult light conditions.

DigicIII processor is impressive!
Came from a 20D body - you can see/feel much more difference than from the 10D to the 20D.
AF speed is in a new league, and it is very silent - might also be interesting for street photographers.

See some results under the mentioned light conditions here:
www.pbase.com/turnbilder

Aug 22, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add michiphoto to your Buddy List
michiphoto

Registered: Aug 22, 2008
Review Date: Aug 22, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Compared to 20D: Variable ISO settings , IQ in general - especially at ISO 1000+, speed (!), also handling not only due to larger LCD
Cons:
Used to the 10 and 20 D, one tends to accidentally hit the menu button when changing lenses. ;)

I had used the 10D and 20D for several years, but needed better IQ at high ISOs as well as a bit more resolution to get decent print results even if I have to crop a (gymnast; hence the need for higher ISOs) picture.

What I didn`t expect and got "for free" was: speed!

Wow - you can almost "feel" the DigicIII processor, I had never thought about that when buying the body.
Thought it would be like changing from a 10D to a 20D - but the gain is beyond that! Starting up and (especially!) focussing is so much faster - very helpful if you do sports
photography.

With this price, you won`t go wrong if you`re looking for a nice camera body for sports shots under difficult light conditions - e.g. gymnastics.

Perfect companion: 135mm 2.0 L - check some results of this duo here: www.pbase.com/turnbilder

Cliffee

Registered: May 19, 2005
Review Date: Aug 22, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Coming form 20D many needed improvements. ISO displayed in viewfinder and top of body. LiveView, larger LCD, AF On button DigicIII, 14bit, faster and quieter.
Cons:
Had to send to Canon for front focus issues. Best Buy exchanged two bodies. All of them had the same problem. Unreal! Finally decided to send it into Canon Irvine, CA. Now focus is perfect.

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Cliffee to your Buddy List
paknip

Registered: Dec 28, 2005
Review Date: Aug 12, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Performance, liveview, fast AF, great image quality
Cons:
Low res LCD

Great image quality but high ISO noise is more less the same as 30D. Liveview is great for still life/studioworks but thats it.

My greatest disappointment is the LCD resolution. Canon should have known better when they produce 3" LCD, the resolution must be higher...simple logic.

Aug 12, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add paknip to your Buddy List
philber

Registered: May 20, 2008
Review Date: Aug 8, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Very good IQ in simple P&S auto mode for beginners, as well as RAW for experts. Very good ergonomics, grip. Good viewfinder, autofocus. High frame rate. Reliable, solid feel. Access to the vast range of Canon lenses.
Cons:
On/off switch needlessly finicky. Depth of field tester is awkward. Light measuring can sometimes be wrong-footed by high contrast situations.

I have owned my 40D almost a year, with a variety of lenses, zooms as well as primes. To me, it is exactly what a prosumer DSLR should be: very easy to use and producing fine pictures in full auto mode, which is fine for beginners, as well as allowing its many possibilities to deliver great IQ for experts.
It may not outshine competitors on a paper list of features, such as pixel count, but to start to use one is a very satisfying experience. It just "feels right", starting with the grip, the the viewfinder, the autofocus, the 2 wheels and joystick. There is a reliable, solid feel to this camera.
Another indirect benefit is the access to an unparalleled line of Canon lenses.
Even though there are more recent models from all the competitors, I would buy it again in a heartbeat.

Aug 8, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add philber to your Buddy List
klosz007

Registered: Aug 5, 2008
Location: Poland
Review Date: Aug 6, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Rewarding photographic tool. Very high image quality (even though only 10 Mpix). Superb, crisp pictures, especially with good lens used, when shot RAW and then postprocessed. Reasonably priced. Very high build quality although better weathersealing could be applied.
Cons:
Requires some knowledge how to take good pictures, no P&S dSLR ! REALLY misses high res LCD (like alpha 700 / D300 have). Sometimes unpredictable exposure metering in worse than ideal lighting conditions (underexposure or blown highlights).

I am an owner of 40D for a few months now and have taken 7000+ shots with it so I think I can judge over this camera right now. Sorry but it will be long as 40D is not a kind of thing that gives comfort of simple review.

I also had a good occasion to compare it directly against SONY's Alpha 700 and NIKON D300. Recently I had a trip to USA with some colleagues who own these aforementioned cameras. We have been shoothing in same situations, same things attracted us, etc. I got all their pictures to compare against mine.

First of all, all good things told here about 40D are true ! This is great and rewarding camera which offers superb image quality. I do not think it is missing extra 2Mpix offered by 700/D300. Low noise, crisp, contrast pictures with authentic color replication. What else do we need ? But all of these if you need how to shoot good pictures. It is not a kind of tool that thinks for a human. Bad step and you are in the trouble (read ahead).

Personally I do not like JPEGs going straight out of the camera. I shoot RAW and than postprocess - this gives me more control and better pictures at the end of the day.

I must also mention that with my camera I do not have any of the front/back focus issues with, esp. with any of my four lenses.

Also 40D offers very good build quality (with some "pseudo" weather sealing) and reasonable price for what it gives.

But every rose has its thorns ! This camera really is missing high resolution LCD found on A700/D300. My colleagues could instantly tell if their pictures were sharp or not. I could not. What looked sharp on 40D's LCD, was not sharp on computer screen anymore.

Also light metering subsystem is poor. Everything is OK in good lighting conditions (eg. sunlight on the beach with clear blue sky). But if lighting is not so good eg. sky completely covered with gray clouds. If such kind of sky appears on your pictures things go wrong. For unknown reasons some pictures are heavily underexposed. Even worse they look pretty decent on LCD ! Some pictures are overexposed (sky is blown out), which in contrast is easily detectable on LCD thanks to flashing areas. I really could not find a rule when exposure wil be good or when there will be over or under exposure. It is good when you have a second chance to tak the same picture with exposure compensation but what if not ?

Then I compare my pictures form the US trip agains my colleagues' pictures from theit A700/D300 I see that they are comparable. But then I discover that all my pictures were RAWs and post procesed - exposure was corrected if (frequently) necessary. All their pictures are JPEGs directly from their cameras with rare cases of over/under exposure Sad

To end this already too long review Smile...

I can surely highly recommend 40D to everybody who knows how to take good pictures with dSLR and how to handle this demanding but rewarding device. D300 is maybe easier to use and more predictable camera, has better LCD screen but at the other end is much higher priced than 40D so they both are not direct competitors. A700 is on the same price tag as 40D but personally I would not but it (at least for now) due to its limited popularity in my country where Nikon and Canon rule the dSLR market, not so wide selection of available quality lenses, etc.

Aug 6, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add klosz007 to your Buddy List
RikWriter

Registered: Jun 22, 2004
Review Date: Aug 3, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: AF speed and accuracy, frame rate, image quality.
Cons:
Lots of noise at high ISOs (much more shadow noise than the 5D I used to own). Long exposure noise reduction setting is useless.

I went with the 40D after using the 5D for a couple years because I wanted the crop factor and faster frame rate for wildlife/bird shooting. I have mixed feelings about the camera because while on the negative side it has much worse shadow noise at high ISOs than the 5D had, it also has very accurate and fast autofocus. If this camera had better high ISO performance and better weather sealing, it would be just about perfect for me.

Aug 3, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add RikWriter to your Buddy List
JustForFun

Registered: Jul 23, 2008
Review Date: Jul 23, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,300.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Extremely Good Balance of Ergonomics, Build Quality Speed and Image Quality. Huge Canon Lens line-up and Accessories support.
Cons:
Price....Paid too much as I bought it a year ago.

Got myself back into digital photography after a 5-6 years break and this was my first DSLR since the Nikon D1. Got a 24-105 f4L IS USM and Sigma 10-20 lens to go with it.

Considering that it's only a prosumer grade DSLR, the standout for me is its speed and responsiveness. Fast start-up, minimal shutter and viewfinder lag, a very competent AF and 6.5fps burst rate. On paper, although its 9 point AF seems not a big wow factor but in practice, it is brilliant. The cross sensors, the overall area coverage in diamond shape and lower EV sensitivity is a great combination. I subsequently owned a 30D as a backup and the real difference is in indoor shooting. 30D will hunt a bit while 40D is much faster locking on.

Image Quality is also pretty good and I usually use it up to ISO 1600. Performance of ISO 3200 is generally useable but not consistent depeding on lighting situation. Usually have to make sure I use RAW at ISO 3200 so that there's more latitude for post processing.

BG-E2N which I got subsequently is a bad fit for the 40D. Works better with the 30D. It does not give me the feeling of a solid tight fit and I think its because the bit of extra weight gain as compared to the 30D.

Jul 23, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add JustForFun to your Buddy List
4allens

Registered: Sep 28, 2004
Review Date: Jul 22, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Image cleaning system, AI, shutter speed, image size, size and weight
Cons:
The 3" LCD is nice but it is still limited by low pixel count. Also, help me understand why live view is such a big deal. Finally, what is up with the goofy print button???

I started with film in the 70's and in recent years, I've converted to digital photography. A 10D, 30D, and now the 40D. Every generation seems to improve over the predecessor ... guess that is how it works ... sometimes.

The 10D was tough to beat ... provided you did not need to shoot fast moving subjects. The 30D was a nice camera, but, it's AI was a bit slow for sports. The 40D is a fine body that offers a cleaning system (that actually works), an AI Servo mode that accurately predicts the next frame, and all at a reasonable price. It is my favorite ...

I still do not understand the direct print button nor do I understand why anyone would use live view ...

Fitted with a good lens (24-70) or two (24-70 and 70-200), this camera will work well for most users.

Jul 22, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add 4allens to your Buddy List
arehnius

Registered: Jul 16, 2008
Review Date: Jul 16, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: nice build quality, very handy, 6.5 fps, liveview, very good viewfinder, lightning fast boot
Cons:
heavy (quality or weight, you choose), no fast way to chose jpeg vs raw, would have appreciated 12 MPix.

This is my first SLR. Previously, I owned a FujiFilm S9500 (S9000 on American market), which is a bridge.
Basically, it's a whole different world. If you're considering buying a SLR after owning a bridge, prepare for a huge gap.

So far, I'm using it for nearly 2 months now, and more than 2000 pictures taken. (I bought the package with the 17-85, which is decent (but not great))
I must say I've never been disappointed. Colors are vivid and nice, through in inside, white balance is often wrong.
It is very usable up to 1600 ISO. I would not recommend 3200 since noise begins to be very high and makes picture hardly usable.
Battery life is good, through you should definitely consider buying an extra pack.
I've bought a SanDisk Extrem III 8 GB (30 MB/s) : it's incredible how many shots it can take @ 6.5 fps.

Now, if you're taking shots of people : the sound the shutter (and mirror) makes is great. Adding this to the 6.5 fps, you're guaranted that people you shoot will be pleased, as they feel like being models.

Anyway, I definitely recommend it for an amateur. From inside to outside, for portraits or landscape, even for fireworks, it's just incredible how nice the pictures it takes are. At least, you won't be able to blame the camera for missed pictures Wink

Jul 16, 2008