Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 EX DC HSM APO

Page:  1 · 2  next

nianys

Registered: Apr 24, 2006
Review Date: Sep 6, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: My copy is extremely sharp, even wide open. Good contrast, HSM is fast and silent. Vetsatile range.
Cons:
Physical length of the lens makes it tricky to shoot steadily handheld.

I had a first copy in Canon mount, which gave excellent results with a 20D. Recently I was looking for a fast zoom with reliable focus to make indoor portraits of my 2 year-old. I found an incredible deal on an unused factory demo and took a chance with it. Well I'm glad I did, this lens is insanely good on my D90, actually 99% as good as my 70-200 DG Macro, which is the very best lens I own. Sharpness of the 50-150 is on par, only background blur is lesser and not as pleasing (the 70-200 is buttery smooth). This lens actually makes me reconsider my desire for FF, as it offers pretty much everything I expect from a lens.

Sep 6, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add nianys to your Buddy List
cool9

Registered: Jun 25, 2009
Review Date: Jun 25, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast focus. Internal zoom. Not too heavy.
Cons:
Can't think of any.

This lens exceeded my expectations by a lot. I only have one Sigma lens (70mm) and it is not 100% reliable concerning focusing. I rented 50-150mm for 2 professional ice hockey games and a concert and it worked perfectly. Focus was fast, it felt great to hold. the internal zoom was very nice and all photos turned out great even under very low light. I can't wait to buy one.

Jun 25, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add cool9 to your Buddy List
JohnLangdon

Registered: May 29, 2009
Review Date: May 29, 2009 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 5

Pros: Very solid contruction. Smaller than equivalent full frame lens. Very good image quality. Silent autofocus. Comes with hood and case.
Cons:
Quality control poor.

I have this lens in the Canon fit.
This lenses autofocus motor broke twice on me, very early on. The first time within maybe the first 500 focuses, the next within the next 200 focuses. I was very dissapointed by this. Both times I sent it to Sigma repair (postage paid by myself to them), the lens was returned promply by them. Whether or not I was unlucky buying a bad copy is immaterial - I spent my money to take photos, not have all the hassle of posting my lens back and forth. I won't be buying a Sigma product again - it's Canon (or maybe Tokina) for me from now on.
A shame really, as the build materials are professional grade, the optics are very good quality. It comes with hood and pouch. It should be a winner.
But at the end of the day for me it was let down by very poor quality control at Sigma. I would expect them them to be testing each EX lens thoroughly before being sent out, as they claim these are professional tools. Either they are not doing this or there is some flaw in the design or materials of the lens.

May 29, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add JohnLangdon to your Buddy List
Billhansen2003

Registered: Mar 12, 2003
Review Date: Feb 4, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 2

Pros: Decently sharp up to about 70mm. Light, unobtrusive. It would be okay for non-critical work, if stopped down to 5.6 or lower.
Cons:
Beyond 70mm, it front focuses badly enough at f 2.8 so it couldn't be used for any critical work. Sent it back to Sigma for repair, but it was no better after repair!

I had high hopes for this lens. I really wanted to like it. I knew from the beginning that I might have to send it back to Sigma for repair of front-focusing, and that was okay with me. However, I thought it was pretty cheap for Sigma to require me to pay shipping charges *both ways*for the repair.

When the lens was returned to me from the Sigma service center, still front-focusing, that was the end for me. The service center people were nice enough on the phone, and they were willing to pay shipping charges for a second look at the lens and attempt at repair. Unfortunately for them and for me, that second trip back to Sigma would have put the lens beyond the date at which I could return it to BuyDig.com. So it goes back today. I just couldn't risk the possibility that the lens would not be repaired on its second, or third, trip back to Sigma.

I'm really sad about this. If I'd gotten a good copy, or if the lens had been repaired the first time around, it would have been nearly perfect for my uses.

Feb 4, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Billhansen2003 to your Buddy List
Geoff_K

Registered: Jan 13, 2009
Review Date: Jan 13, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $700.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: appears sharp to me, does not extend when you zoom,
Cons:
lens cover is not internal pinch

I have had the lens about a year. I dont have any complaints. I shoot for fun, not for resale so that will allow you to balance my numbers.

I dont seem to have a problem with front or back focus (yeh i wanted to see when i heard about that lens issue)

Jan 13, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Geoff_K to your Buddy List
wg-racing

Registered: Jan 1, 2009
Review Date: Jan 1, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Fantastic image quality, good price, great handling, reasonable weight, fab build quality.
Cons:
Non that I've found yet

This is quite simply a great lens. The image quality is fantastic. Good wide open and stunning a couple of stops down. It handles really well, is built to last and yet its not so heavy that you leave it at home when facing a day out or a long walk. It perfectly compliments the 18-50 F2.8 to give a top notch two lens kit to cover 90% of photographic needs. Focussing is really quick and quiet and so far really accurate too. Every bit as good as Id hoped.

Highly recommended.

Jan 1, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add wg-racing to your Buddy List
jharris_dobe

Registered: Mar 13, 2006
Review Date: Sep 15, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $650.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, great range, fast autofocus, small and relatively light
Cons:
front-focused out of the box, no IS

Note, this is version II of this lens.

After 2 trips to Sigma for service (they are very fast and easy to deal with) this lens no longer front focuses. It does seem to have some issues with accuracy near MFD at 150 though, but I would probably manually focus in these circumstances anyways, and it is rarely used this way. The combination of f/2.8 in such a useful range at this size/weight is nothing short of wonderful. I can get images that rival the 70-200 f/2.8 in a lens that is much smaller and much lighter. It has been good for both wedding/event work and sports. Autofocus is fast, contrast is good when not shooting into the sun, and color is sigma but very excellent. In addition, I find the bokeh more than acceptable. The size of the zoom and focus rings is also very large, which makes use a joy.

All in all, I am very happy with this lens. If it had IS, it would be better. I will probably end up purchasing the 70-200 2.8 IS at some point, but may end up keeping this lens, just because of it's small size and great focal length.

Sep 15, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jharris_dobe to your Buddy List
RCicala

Registered: Jan 8, 2005
Review Date: Sep 12, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 7

Pros: Great concept, does well if you get a good copy, feels well built
Cons:
Went through 3 copies to get a good one. It started frontfocusing after a couple of month's use.

I really, really wanted this to be a great lens. Of 3 copies one frontfocused to the point of unusable, one had a defective zoom, out of the box. The third was just right - for a month, then started frontfocusing and the zoom became stiff.

If you get one that works its great. Getting one that worked wasn't worth the hassle for me.

Sep 12, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add RCicala to your Buddy List
Alexandru

Registered: May 17, 2008
Location: Romania
Review Date: Jul 14, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Speed, weigh, f2.8 , price, great portrait lens
Cons:
Front focus (as aspected)

Good lens, noticeable front focus when shooting tele end, 2.8 trough f5, some more testing required.
Excelent build quality, trepied ring not required, as is fairly balanced on my 40D.
Great bargain for the price, more comfortable compared to 70-200 f4, so i hope to make-it a keeper.

Jul 14, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Alexandru to your Buddy List
Ulan

Registered: May 14, 2008
Review Date: May 24, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, crispy and contrasy images, fast AF, light, easy to carry along, good build quality, not too expensive
Cons:
no IS (but you know it before buying it)

An underrated lens, yet I never had to complain about it, except in low light (indoor) when an IS would be so useful to allow higher speed. Everything works well : I never experienced front focusing, actually my sample is pretty AF accurate, silent and fast. Pictures are cristal clear. I took it on my trip to Yucatan instead of my Canon 70-200 IS 2.8, as the Sigma much lighter and easier to carry (yet I really love the Canon lens, images are fabulous). Bokeh is wonderful, colours are well treated, good contrast, very good sharpness.

May 24, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Ulan to your Buddy List
Peter twohey

Registered: Aug 21, 2007
Review Date: Feb 23, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Price,weight,bokeh,range.
Cons:
none.

I love the range on this lens-50mm at f/2.8 with the ability to get closer is so useful.The weight is a big plus-this lens is light particularly when compared to the Canons.The only time I need a tripod is when I add a 2x teleconverter-so I dont think the lens needs a collar.Build quality is excellent like all new Sigma EX lenses.IQ,colour and sharpness are also right on the money.This is a brilliant lens.

Feb 23, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Peter twohey to your Buddy List
pnorth

Registered: Sep 3, 2004
Review Date: Feb 15, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $800.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Very Sharp throughout range light and easy to hand hold very fast AF speed price
Cons:
very slightly front focuses on subject that are within 7 feet.

I purchased this lens to shoot basketball, wrestling, and volleyball, my prior lens was the Canon 70-200 f2.8 L and since changing over to the 40D camera from a 1Dmk2 I quickly realized the 70mm was just not wide enough for shots under the basket, and when the action got to close. I have to tell you I was a little nervous selling my Canon knowing the great performer it was! I am happy to say that the Sigma has performed great since day 1. The AF speed is equal to the canon, I can honestly say I have yet to miss a shot that I would have gotten with the Canon. the other great thing is this lens is light! and very easy to hand hold. With the Canon I found myself getting tired 1/2 way through a game, but with this sigma, I can go on for hours. I have the 2nd gen "II" of this lens, and don't know if it is better than the first release, so I can't comment on the other lens. If I had anything to complain about it may be that when a subject is very close, it seemed to front focus a tad, but not enough to cause a problem, but enough not to give this lens an overall rating or (10). With winter sports coming to an end, I think I will drop it off at Sigma to have a look over.

Feb 15, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add pnorth to your Buddy List
eanderson123

Registered: Nov 21, 2003
Review Date: Jan 15, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $700.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Compact, light weight, Sharp @ 2.8, internal zoom/focus
Cons:
None for me

I got this lens to shoot my kids basketball games. I was thinking of getting the Canon 70-200 2.8L for my new 40D till I found out about this lens. I had shot a couple of games with my 24-105 and found that zoom range just under what I needed for next to the court shooting so the 50-150 range would work nicely. I ordered the lens from B&H and tried it at a game the day after it arrived. I was very pleased with the results and found this lens a keeper.

The lens is light weight, compact and has a solid build. The focus is fast and sharp. I have been very pleased with the results and it is a good match with the 40D. The lens is nice and sharp at 2.8 and produces good color and contrast. I shoot with the BG-E2 grip and for me the weight and balance are perfect.

The internal focus and zoom design is great! The size of the lens does not change during zoom or focus. IS would be nice but I am sure would add to the size and weight of this compact lens.

Jan 15, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add eanderson123 to your Buddy List
aldiss

Registered: May 21, 2005
Review Date: Sep 17, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $700.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Build, bokeh, excellent flare resistance, razor sharp center on the whole range at F2.8, fast AF, light & compact. Range is excellent.
Cons:
Borders at 150mm F2.8 (not an issue for portraits though), bad aqua/magenta CA on strong out-of-focus higlights (fixable if you shoot RAW).

As usual with SIGMA lenses I had to send this lens for service as it was front focusing... and as usual the SIGMA service was excellent and a week after I had a razor sharp 150mm F2.8.

This lens is a keeper for me. I needed a small and light telezoom for trekking/travel and this lens is not a compromise on quality. Very high quality that is.

My major concern before buying this lens was the range (I use a Canon 20D)... I was afraid 150mm would be too short. But now I find the lens more useful than my 70-200 thanks to its 50mm wide end... and the reach is very good for a short tele.

Only real negative aspect is strong CA that can happen sometimes on out-of-focus highlights when you shoot wide open near 100/150mm. This magenta/aqua CA is not removed by default by software like LightRoom so you will see it. It's rather easy to remove in LightRoom though... as it's not common colors you find in nature (magenta/aqua) I simply cut those channels on the precise CA colors. Problem fixed.

At 135-150mm F2.8 borders are so-so which is not an issue for portraits... and if I shoot landscape I'm more at least at F4.0 (good borders) and F8.0 has excellent borders.

Sep 17, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add aldiss to your Buddy List
unityofsaints

Registered: Mar 11, 2007
Review Date: Sep 10, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: - creamy bokeh (esp. for a zoom) - sharp wide open - great zoom range on a DX body - sigma EX finish - good value for money
Cons:
- no tripod collar - crappy 'pinch' front cap design - weird filter thread size (67 mm) - HSM not as responsive as on my 100-300 or as quiet as on my 30 f1.4

Sep 10, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add unityofsaints to your Buddy List
Erik van Diest

Registered: Aug 25, 2007
Review Date: Aug 25, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp Lens, F2.8, Lightweight
Cons:
No tripod collar

I picked up this lens about three months ago. This lens is together with my 18-70 always in my bag. I use them about evenly.

I bought this lens at first for making portraits, which it does perfectly well, but also for other subjects it's very well useable. The images are very sharp, focussing is very fast and very nice bokeh. Also the weight is very low which makes that I can keep it in my hands for a very long time.

The only thing I miss is a tripod collar, especially when using it with my 2x converter. But this is the only problem I'm having with it. I recommend it to everybody who is looking for a lens in this range.

EvD

Aug 25, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Erik van Diest to your Buddy List

Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 EX DC HSM APO