Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 EX DC HSM APO

Page:  1 · 2

W Billingham

Registered: Apr 1, 2007
Review Date: Aug 18, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $579.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: tack sharp, very good AF, great focal range
Cons:
perhaps to sharp for portraits but that is a good problem to have

I ordered this lens the day it came out and I have been very happy with it.

It has become my walkaround lens for my 30D. I find the 50-150mm focal length to be fantastic

Aug 18, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add W Billingham to your Buddy List
pix-l

Registered: Aug 17, 2007
Review Date: Aug 17, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: f/2.8, size, weight, hsm, price, fmt.
Cons:
No tripod collar, soft wide open, minimum focussing distance.

For a long time I was in the market for a 70-200mm f/2.8 HSM etc etc. But then the 50-150mm f/2.8 came along. Picked it up second hand from a guy who wanted a 70-200mm.

Together with my 18-50mm f/2.8 it makes a nice alround combo. It's fast enough for motor sports, got a lot of keepers with this lens at the French Grand Prix, and the ones I didn't keep where due to lack op experience.

Definetly a keeper!

Aug 17, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add pix-l to your Buddy List
JohnClif

Registered: May 3, 2005
Review Date: Aug 6, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $600.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Compact, fast-focusing, very sharp in center at all focal lengths, very contrasty, very good flare control when shooting into the sun, easy to focus manually also.
Cons:
A little soft on the edges wide open (cleans up at f/4 and above).

I bought this lens to augment my Sigma 70-200/2.8 EX, so I could have something lighter to go along with the 18-50/2.8 EX for a versatile two-lens combination.

A very useful focal length range on APS sensor-equipped dSLRs, and it will resolve as well or better than your camera at f/4 and above... and at f/2.8 in most circumstances where the center/subject is in the foreground and the background is in the distance, the shallow depth of field will hide the very minor edge softness.

I'm very happy with my purchase. This lens is a great performer for the money, focuses fast and accurately, and works well with Sigma's TC14 1.4x teleconverter. Combined with a wide-to-normal zoom, like Sigma's companion 18-50/2.8 EX DG Macro and the TC14 1.4x teleconverter, you've got 99% of your lens needs covered.

Aug 6, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add JohnClif to your Buddy List
Ross Gould

Registered: Jul 25, 2007
Review Date: Aug 1, 2007 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 2

Pros: Focal length range, moderate weight and compactness, quick and quiet focusing
Cons:
Front focus problems, followed after fix by Sigma by tilted focal plane

I bought this lens to use on a Canon 30D body, because it covers a useful focal length range with good maximum aperture for use in theatre photography. I've been photographing theatre for 30 years, and photograph with the stage lighting to preserve the mood and "look" of the productions (flash isn't a solution).

The first problem with the lens was front focus - this was corrected by the Sigma distributors here in Australia. As I use the lens for shots beyond a few metres distance I haven't found the common focus errors at close range an issue.

Unfortunately, the lens a little after the first fix developed a new problem - a tilted focal plane. Pictures were sharper in one corner and least sharp in the opposite corner of the image. This was very obvious on A4 prints at f/2.8. I sent the lens in for a fix.

It was returned with the diagonal tilt of the focus plane corrected, but now with a new tilt - now the picture was very sharp on one side of the image (horizontal mode), and fuzzy on the other side, sharpness gradually decreasing across the image - similar to the previous problem, but the direction had changed. The sharpest part of the image is fine - but too much of it is very visibly unsharp. No, not pixel-peeping - an A4 print of the whole frame.

Sigma, after having the lens for over 5 weeks, now claim that it's "within specification". This suggests to me that they don't know how to fix it and don't want to replace it.

Obviously, a lens that's working properly will be sharpest in the centre, with some fall-off to the edges/corners of the frame at wider apertures. It won't show this tilted effect unless something's badly wrong with where the optical set is pointing in relation to the sensor.

My two Canon prime lenses don't show this effect, even when used at f/2.8 or wider. Therefore it can't be the camera body that's causing the problem.

So I'm very disappointed - I'd hoped this lens would be my much-used midrange zoom. Instead, it's not useable at wide apertures, and that means I'll have to find a replacement (a genuine Canon lens this time) once I've got Sigma to get real over the problem, and either replace the lens with a new one (which I'll sell) or refund what I paid.

The above details should explain why I've given the lens a very low rating. There are unacceptable optical issues which suggest lack of QC plus problems of support from Sigma.

Aug 1, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Ross Gould to your Buddy List
ron_9

Registered: Jun 16, 2006
Review Date: Jul 9, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $595.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: I sold my 70-200 F2.8 HSM to get this. I knew going in that the 70-200 was a great lens, but it's "big". I am thrilled with it's portability, sharpness(have had several HSM lenses, they all are sharp), quick focus, 50mm is good to have avaiable, and general O.A. quality and IQ
Cons:
This lens vignettes fairly significately at approx 135-150mm at F2.8-F4. This hasn't been to much of a problem, and maybe the trade off for the size. Lens cap, of course, immediately bought Nikon pinch cap

Jul 9, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add ron_9 to your Buddy List
clocksley

Registered: Mar 7, 2006
Review Date: Jun 25, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Light weight, f/2.8 throughout (obvious I know), Price, Range on a 30D (1.6x crop)
Cons:
Bearing in mind the price there really aren't any, but if you are expecting 1200 "L" glass then you will find the AF slightly slow but in real terms very fast compared to other non-"L" lenses.

I had previously owned a 70-200mm f/2.8 from Sigma and was expecting this to fall way short, bearing in mind the price is about 200 less. I was wrong. It is a good match, quick AF, brilliant IQ, and built surprisingly well - a lesson Canon might want to learn for lenses in this price range.
It is light, and hence very useable hand held, whilst the 70-200mm was quite heavy after a while, especially at weddings.
Basically you are getting a 80-210mm f/2.8 in FF terms on a 30D, and it is a combination I would recommend.
Well chuffed! Get yourself one now!

Jun 25, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add clocksley to your Buddy List
Jesse Evans

Registered: Feb 6, 2007
Review Date: Jun 22, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $630.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Lightweight, Fast Aperture, Decently Fast AF, Flair is almost nonexistent, Smooth operation, and high build quality
Cons:
Pretty bad CA in the near OOF areas, Initial front focusing problem, initial second lens group problem, general Sigma poor QC, high amounts of vignetting

This lens is around $620 and it gives an equivalent FOV of around 70-200 at f/2.8 (although it is more like 80-240 on a Canon body). I'd just like to point out that there isn't any other lens out there in this range that also offers HSM, USM, SSM, or whathaveyou.

I'd like to start out by saying that after about a month or two I ended up selling off the lens in favor of the 70-200 f/2.8L IS. There were two reasons for this but I will get to them later.

First off I'd like to say that this is an extremely sharp and contrasty lens, at least when you keep it under 135mm. After that things get a bit iffy and you need a lot more post to get contrast up.

The AF is really quite amazing, it is extremely fast and accurate (though honestly it is only about half as fast as the Canon L) though this comes with a pretty important sidenote: If you buy this lens, expect to have to send it back to Sigma for them to calibrate the focus on it. This isn't really that big of an issue as Sigma's customer service and turnaround time are really great. After they calibrated it with my test shots to assist them all was fine.

The bokeh on this lens when it is wide open is extremely soft, creamy and buttery. However if you stop it down to somewhere around f/4 you tend to get a lot of aperture effects by way of strange looking out of focus highlights.

The real problem that I had with this lens was a lot of horribly bright orange fringing that liked to appear in the transition area from in focus to out of focus. This normally wouldn't be an issue but when processing something like 500-600 shots and trying to get rid of it in each one it can be a serious hamper on productivity.

I know so far that I've said a lot of negative things about this lens, but in reality it is a real champ at it's price point and feature set. The 50mm side of the lens can be really useful as it's actually sharper than most primes at that focal length. I also had the feeling that the 50-150mm range was a lot more useful than the 70-200 range. But that turned out to be a tossup too as I needed the extra 50mm on the long end pretty badly at times.

Anyway, my advice would be this: This lens is AMAZING for a $600 50-150mm f/2.8. However, for the same price or less the 70-200 f/4L is better in most ways, and the 70-200 f/2.8L or L IS are both FAR better if you have the money. This lens is compact, sturdy and gives great images, but it has it's problems.

Jun 22, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Jesse Evans to your Buddy List
30DShooter

Registered: Jun 12, 2007
Review Date: Jun 20, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $565.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: very light & compact, sharp, contrast very good
Cons:
long end short for outdoor sports

I purchased this lens a week ago but just received it yesterday. Of course I had to test it out! What I noticed immediately is the compact, light weight, and rugged design. After some shots the next thing I noticed was how well this thing dealt with contrast. Contrast was almost perfect.

I rented a 70-200 f/2.8 IS two days ago and I was not impressed AT ALL with the IQ (shooting wide open). Every image shot was way too soft (AF super fast though). After playing with the 50-150mm f/2.8 I would take it any day over the 70-200mm f/2.8 IS. AF is just as fast as the 'L', but the images were not as soft wide open (had a little, and I mean A LITTLE, softness to the images). I shoot a lot of sports so I am really waiting to go indoors with this lens. The 50-150 range is perfect for any kind of "court-side" sport.

I spent a long time debating on whether to get the Canon 70-200 or the Sigma 50-150. I made a very good choice. Anyone who wants that fast f/2.8 but can't afford the Canon 70-200 f/2.8, this lens is a great alternative. For the price of the 70-200 f/4, you get 50-150mm f/2.8. For $1000+ I expected more from the 70-200mm f/2.8. I found it in this mid $500 (what I paid) Sigma lens.

Jun 20, 2007