Tokina 100mm f/2.8 AT-X 100 AF PRO D

(Based on image circle):
Focus Details: Internal with Focus Clutch mechanism and Focus Limiter
Front Element Rotation: No
Zoom System: n/a
Closest Focus: 30cm / 11.8 in.
Magnification Ratio: 1.0x / 1:1
Dimensions
(Length x Diameter): 95.1mm x 73mm / 3.74 in. x 2.9 in.
Weight: 540g / 19.0 oz
Notes: Available AF Mounts: Canon, Minolta, Nikon; Included Accessories: Lens Hood

kris416

Registered: Jun 21, 2011
Review Date: Sep 6, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $350.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharp and takes great pictures. auto focus is ok when it works. handling/ergonomics are great
Cons:
af/mf ring problem

This was a great lens that I bought second hand for only $350 nowadays and it takes great pictures. It handles well and I use it for portraits and macro photography.

Only problem is (literally just now in the middle of my shoot) the auto focus stopped working. I've checked the settings inside and out on the lens and camera and can't seem to find the problem, so I'm chalking it up to the af/mf ring malfunctioning.

I do recommend this lens otherwise.

Sep 6, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add kris416 to your Buddy List
Fraucha

Registered: Feb 27, 2011
Location: Ukraine
Review Date: Dec 19, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $525.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Easy to use, tough build, sharp as all get out.
Cons:
None that I can actually SEE

I use it as often as I can get away with it. For a macro it is all that you need, you don't have to get so close to your subject that you block light or scare it away. For macro the AF of course is useless, but for anything else AF is moderately fast but just fine. Not a sports lens by any means.

Sharp clean glass, I have no complaints. No IS/VR but then, we didn't have that in the old days either.

I would advise you to get one, this glass is way underpriced!

Dec 19, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Fraucha to your Buddy List
spokelse

Registered: May 9, 2003
Review Date: Sep 13, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: sharp, good in the hands, sharp, not very heavy compared to the Nikon, price is fine, not sure why one would get anything else in this range. I
Cons:
none so far, its a reasonably priced, super sharp lens

look people, if you think you need something better than this, then you probably don't. This is plenty enough macro glass for anyone, if this is a range you can use. And its a great portrait lens with standard issue nice background blurring. I've used the Nikon variant, its great too, but its double the price and its much heavier and the Tokina isn't a lightweight.

Sep 13, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add spokelse to your Buddy List
jgonzo

Registered: Dec 17, 2005
Review Date: Jul 18, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp, perfect bulid quality, comes with lens hood,
Cons:

I think it is one of the best in 100mm range.
The abiltity to reduce the focusrange is an fantastic option. The only point is the weight of this lens. But this can be an advantage too.

Jul 18, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jgonzo to your Buddy List
Foto_Munki

Registered: Jan 11, 2011
Review Date: Jan 11, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $270.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Takes great macro shots. Quality build.
Cons:
Slow AF limits its use in other areas. Lens is heavy.

Picked up on ebay. As others have said bokeh is very nice and macro shots are quite good. Other macros are also good but all are more expensive. Build quality and materials are excellent from what I can see. Appears one could crush a skull with it if such a crazy scenario presented itself!

Weight does shift the center of balance a bit more forward than I am used to but again that is due to the weight of the materials used. If you need a dedicated macro lens, this is best "Bang for the Buck".

Jan 11, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Foto_Munki to your Buddy List
---XR---

Registered: Oct 30, 2008
Review Date: Oct 1, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $300.00 | Rating: 9

Pros:
Cons:

quality build, great like every tokina i've owned to this point, sharp, easy AF/MF switch, great focal length. got mine for a great price too.

Oct 1, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ---XR--- to your Buddy List
Aerospace

Registered: Feb 8, 2006
Review Date: Jul 26, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp,built well, solid
Cons:

This lens works very well with my 1DMIII.

Jul 26, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Aerospace to your Buddy List
piet1966

Registered: Jul 16, 2009
Review Date: Jul 16, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharp; useful macro range
Cons:
Over-exposes on Nikon D90 when stopped down; filter ring screws loose

As a beginner in macro, I like this lens. It has a great price, is very sharp and fairly fast, although maximum aperture decreases in macro range. I did run into two issues, though. I have no idea why, but on my Nikon D90 pictures with this lens (only) come out over-exposed by 1 stop at all apertures except wide open. This is consistent and easy to compensate (but also easy to forget). Also, shortly after arrival the tiny screws around the filter ring loosened. One had came loose altogether and I was lucky to find it in the plastic bag I keep the lens in. A small QC issue, I presume, and after tightening they now seem OK.

Overall, an attractive lens for my purposes.

Jul 16, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add piet1966 to your Buddy List
Coleyfillet

Registered: Jul 8, 2009
Review Date: Jul 8, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, Exceptional Build Quality, Smooth and Buttery Bokeh and Non-existent distortion
Cons:
Higher than average CAs and a quite slow AF speed (not a problem with limit switch)

I found this lens on Ebay at a bargain price of £160. I was impressed from the start with the build quality and feel of the lens which isn't to heavy at 540g. I use it on my Canon 450D which gives me 160mm on the cropped sensor. I mainly use it for studio product shots, flower macro and head/shoulder portraits. I find the lens is sharpest at f/4 and f/5.6 and still not bad at f/11. This is one less I will not part with and can fully recommend it.

Jul 8, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Coleyfillet to your Buddy List
benka

Registered: Jun 8, 2009
Review Date: Jun 10, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Very sharp, good material quality (NOT build quality...see cons)
Cons:
tends to have purple fringing at f/2.8, build quality

Unfortunately I love the lens, although I had a few problems.

First sample was changed by Tokina due to aperture control problems. After that I had no problems for about two years. But now the second sample has a problem wit the focus clutch mechanism. In front of the golden ring you have some kind of cap, and when you change from AF to MF and back it loosens a little bit. It can't fall out but nevertheless it's quite annoying!

Jun 10, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add benka to your Buddy List
Don Olson

Registered: Sep 24, 2006
Review Date: Dec 28, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Low light AF on D1X excellent, Build is what I've come to expect from this line from Tokina = Tough, MF mechanism works very well. AF lock speeds things up very well in that area. It has exhibited VG IQ throughout it's range.
Cons:
I haven't found any yet.

So far I have used this lens for small product photography, head, head/shoulders and to waist portraiture, low light club shooting a band.
I was able to get tight in on the drummer back in the hole with VG results. Actually, I also used a Tokina ATXPRO 165 for the rest of the shots. The band loves the pictures as does the people I've used it to shoot product for and the parents of the student.

The OOF areas are creamy and not harsh. Color and contrast are VG. Though I've tried it has not exhibited any fringing. All in all it has done everything well. I got this at the recommendation of my camera shop guy and darn, he was right again.

Dec 28, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Don Olson to your Buddy List
inukshuk

Registered: Nov 27, 2005
Review Date: Apr 2, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Really Nicely Built, Sharp and rich. Pro Feel.
Cons:
NONE

I'm not going to get into details here. But only have to say that I love this lens.Feels real comfy in the hands, super smooth mechanism, Really a Pro feel. Images nice and sharp and love the color rendition. I had a Sigma macro before, but prefer this one by far.

Apr 2, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add inukshuk to your Buddy List
Jeroen Wijnand

Registered: Aug 29, 2007
Review Date: Mar 30, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Well build, sharp, nice AF/MF switch mechanism
Cons:
AF hunts a bit in low light/low contrast situations

I was looking for a macro lens in the 90ish mm range and I was on a rather tight budget. The tamron, the 105mm sigma and this tokina were on my short list. The sigma didn't feature the nice AF/MF clutch the tamron and the tokina had. (why doesn't nikon use this on it's primes?)

The tamron was almost 40 euros more expensive and I really couldn't see the point of that.

Took this lens home, mounted it and was immediately amazed. It focusses well, precisely and close. Even at minimum focus distance the AF still works well.

Wide open it's not at it's best yet but it's by no means soft, it will still give many consumer zooms a run for their money. Stop down a bit and at f4 things sharpen up, sharpen up pretty amazingly. I get the feeling this lens outperforms my D50. Color rendition is very neutral with a very slight tendency to warmer tones.
AF is reasonably quick for a screwdriver model and in decent light quite usable.

Build is excellent, especially for a lens in this price range. It's hard to tell which parts are metal and which are heavy duty plastic. Crinkly finish gives it a classy look.

All in all, if you're in the market for an entry level macro lens I really would recommend you look at this as well as the tamron.

Mar 30, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Jeroen Wijnand to your Buddy List
mh2000

Registered: Oct 6, 2005
Review Date: Jun 29, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $400.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: beautiful bokeh!
Cons:
not very sharp unless stopped down

Nice build, beautiful bokeh (really beautiful!), but not very sharp until stopped down. At f4, this lens is much softer than any Canon prime I can compare it to. I tried 3 copies and sent them all back, they were just too soft. Stopped down it will make gorgeous macro images though... much lovelier than my Canon 100 USM macro. I liked the push-pull AF-MF control... not as nice as Canon's FTM design, but intuitive and well thought out. Purple fringes pretty bad on digital too.

Jun 29, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add mh2000 to your Buddy List
Jamse

Registered: Aug 4, 2005
Review Date: Jun 21, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $575.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, bokeh, fari build quality, lightweight
Cons:
Not as fast and quiet as Canons USM

The lens is very sharp from edge to edge. The bokeh is excellent with creamy and smooth background blur.

Auto focus is on the slow side and will hunt in dim light. With focus limiter enabled the lens is somewhat faster. Noise isnít a factor although it is louder than USM of course.

The manual/auto focus mechanism works great.
In comparison to my fathers Tamron 90mm. f/2.8 DI I find this lens at least as good as the Tamron or better. This goes for the build quality as well as it is solid.

Jun 21, 2007