Tokina 50-135mm f/2.8 AT-X 535 AF PRO DX

Minimum aperture: f/32
Optical construction: 18 elements in 14 groups
SD glass: One elements
Coatings: "Water Proof” optical coating
Angle of view: 31° 3’ ~ 11° 8’
Minimum focus distance: 39.3 in. (1.0m)
Reproduction ratio: 1:5.89
Zooming system: Rotary type
Number of diaphragm blades: 9
Filter size: 67mm
Maximum outer diameter: 3.07 in. (78.2mm)
Dimensions: 3.07 in. (78.2mm) X L 5.32 in. (135.2mm)
Weight: 29.8 oz. (845g)
Lens Hood BH-671
Availability: November 2006

Page:  1 · 2  next

MacInFL

Registered: Aug 13, 2010
Review Date: Nov 27, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $530.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent sharpness and color rendition Relatively compact size (for zoom range) Build quality
Cons:
Not the fastest focusing Non detachable tripod mount collar

A spectacular lens that should be in the bag of anyone who uses a DSLR with an APS-C sensor, providing your camera is compatible with the AF (Nikonians take note - no built in AF motor). It is quite simply a bargain for the $$.

The images are sharp with good color and contrast even wide open and razor sharp by f/4. Due to the fast aperture and excellent image quality, images become almost three dimensional, similar to using quality primes.

My only real complaint is that the tripod collar cannot be removed. I set it at about 1 o'clock to get it out of the way.

On my D300, AF is reasonably fast and positive though an AF-S design would be preferable.

The lens is also a little sensitive to contra light. I don't particularly like the included hood and purchased collapsible rubber hood instead.

That's about it for negatives.

I have no idea why Tokina discontinued this lens. One of the very best on the market. Unlikely I would ever sell mine unless I migrated out of DX photography.

Nov 27, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add MacInFL to your Buddy List
andyjaggy82

Registered: Jan 25, 2006
Review Date: Aug 2, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $600.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp. Constant f2.8. Great guild quality. Great range for 1.6x camera.
Cons:
Won't work on full frame. Tripod collar doesn't come off.

After reading so many great reviews on this lens I picked up a brand new copy of this now discontinued lens on ebay. It's a tokina so you know the build quality will be outstanding, and it is. From my initial tests this lens is razor sharp across the frame at all zoom focal ranges. It's the only lens I have used on my 7D that I think gets the most out of the sensor. Focus is reasonably fast, good enough for me anyway.

My only beef is the built in tripod collar doesn't come off, in the default position it gets in the way of turning the focus rings, I have found I adjust it to sit on the right side of the camera and it works pretty well.

Aug 2, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add andyjaggy82 to your Buddy List
emoyeni

Registered: Jan 25, 2012
Review Date: Jan 26, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Optical performance, Build quality, Autofocusing, Manual Focusing, No fancy electronic gadgetry to fail in the future
Cons:

This lens is so good I had to register on FM to leave a review :-)

Things happen for a reason. Was hoping to buy a used Nikon 80-200 2.8D from a reputable UK used equipment retailer but by the time I transferred money to my credit card it was sold.

They had this in stock. Having never heard of it I proceeded to search for reviews. I truly rate the reviews here quiet accurate particularly as they are in line with my own views on lenses I have owned and/or used in the past and 20+ reviews is a good sample size. I had chickened out of buying the Tokina 11-16 or 12-24 for a Nikon 12-24 so gave this a try as I could return within 7 days if not happy (and also have warranty).

WOW. This lens has already made me a better photographer.

It's solid, sturdy, fast focusing, accurate focusing, no signification abberations, the colour rendition is stunning. Much better than any of my previous Nikons and only matched by the 12-24.

It does offer challenges to you at 2.8 in so far as it forces you to accurately focus. If challenges you to keep your hands steady. I am struggling to get good results below shutter speeds of 1/250 at ISO200.

I wasn't sure what to expect with regards to focusing. All my previous and current lenses are AF-S but this is almost as quick. I also tracked a bird in flight and was surprised that this could keep tracking focus.

I wasn't sure what to expect with the focus clutch but it's much more useful than manual over-ride autofocusing systems. Personally I struggle with manual focus on AF-S without turning to switch to full time manual. This is a lot more straightforward. The low light performance is also a lot faster than I was expecting. I imagine for 99% of us it's more than adequate and sufficient.

This is a far more versatile lens than the 80-200 would have been on my D90.Sub-consciously I was aware when I was hoping to get the 80-200 that I had a "Gap" from 35-80 this is now not an issue.

And it's doesn't have motors or complex electronics to fail in the future. It's all glass and metal and will last forever.

I don't know the history of this lens as to why it was discontinued but it's one of a rare number of 3rd party lenses that will hold their monetary value IMO.

Absolutely outstanding.

Jan 26, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add emoyeni to your Buddy List
Fraucha

Registered: Feb 27, 2011
Review Date: Dec 19, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp! Easy to use ...
Cons:
Easy to use but heavy, so it does take a bit of practice. No IS/VR!

I love this glass, but it does take some getting used to. If you are used to VR or IS on a lens get ready to learn how to stand still. It is heavy, and you will have to learn how to hold it comfortably. I usually leave the tripod mounting foot in the down position and place it in my palm of my left hand and finger the zoom, but I can do this because I have large hands. May not be so easy for everyone. So, simply bring a tripod along!

I can use it for just about anything, but when it gets down to it, I would say 25% of the time I will use a tripod.

Crisp sharp images and I have noticed almost no CA at the corners, as such, I no longer keep my Nikkor 18-200 handy and would rather use this instead. Build quality is excellent as is the 11-16mm and the 100mm Macro. I have not gone wrong with this company yet.

Dec 19, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Fraucha to your Buddy List
fujicanon

Registered: Feb 11, 2006
Review Date: Mar 31, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $995.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharpness, buildquality, size.
Cons:
AF is fairly quick but not for action.

I use this lens on Canon 50D an 7D.
This lens features very high quality construction, with a rugged all-metal casing and exceptional fit and finish. The zoom and focus rings are well-damped and move with buttery-smooth precision, and the included (but not removable) tripod collar is also a plus.
2.8 all the way through, an as sharp as my 70/200/4L.

Mar 31, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add fujicanon to your Buddy List
Dirk Hiemstra

Registered: Nov 22, 2007
Review Date: Jan 25, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp en good contrast, even at 2.8 ! Light compared to 80-200mm 2.8. Small. Built like a tank. Closest focus 1 mtr.
Cons:
No SWM. Hard to get, discontinued ?

On a DX camera I tried the Sigma 70-200, Nikon 80-200 AFD, Nikon 80-200 AFS and allthough perfect lenses, they didn't match my style of shooting. Looking for a portable, zoom portaitlens with very nice bokeh, this is it. Sharp from 1 mtr onwards. Usable in home. The 70-200 for DX (only) ! Should have bought earlier.

Jan 25, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Dirk Hiemstra to your Buddy List
kaldanner

Registered: Nov 15, 2010
Review Date: Dec 11, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great focal length. Sharp - very sharp!
Cons:
Heavy.

Sharpest lens I own.
Beats any canon L lens I owned.
Better than any Nikon lens I currently own.
Received on Friday. Used for a wedding yesterday (Saturday). I'm amazed at the quality. It's going to stay on my Nikon D300. Can't wait for my Tokina 11-16!

Dec 11, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add kaldanner to your Buddy List
china2k

Registered: Nov 8, 2005
Review Date: Aug 19, 2010 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: all that good I noted above
Cons:
focus somewhat slow; sharpness degradation noticeable at 2.8

After half a year of use, I have to admit the lens' drawbacks:
-Focus is somewhat slow. A miss in autofocus make the focus travel towards infinity and back and it takes a while. If you are shooting moving subjects or catching a moment, this often may mean a missed shot. If you are shooting still it is not critical but you want it faster...
- Although fine and acceptable, the sharpness and contrast at 2.8 is noticeably lower. You often want to shoot at F/4 for stellar results (really, stellar!).

Aug 19, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add china2k to your Buddy List
skywalker11

Registered: Mar 30, 2010
Review Date: Mar 30, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: very sharp IQ even at F2.8, fast AF, great color, nice focal range, internal zoom, good for candid and portrait. It is the best lens compare to its quality and price range.
Cons:
no VR, a little shaky at above 100mm but it can be compensated at fast shutter.

This is main len for my EOS 7D since the day one i purchase it.
like it very much. never think of selling out unless Tokina will lauch the newer model with VR function. =)

Mar 30, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add skywalker11 to your Buddy List
strongest2004

Registered: Feb 23, 2010
Review Date: Feb 23, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $535.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: very nice build, sharp and fast (f/2.8)
Cons:
a "little" heavy,

Feb 23, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add strongest2004 to your Buddy List
wilco54

Registered: Feb 21, 2009
Location: Luxembourg
Review Date: Feb 22, 2010 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Quality of build, price, speed (F2.8) - really useful range
Cons:
Very little, view changes when it auto-focuses but this is less noticeable on 7D for some reason.

As previously suggested I have now been fortunate enough to put my 535 on an EOS7D. As hoped , the image quality, particularly clarity, is amazing. I found it difficulat to take this lens off teh 7D on a recent trip to Switzerland, for me its an extremely useful focal range. I really recopmmend giving it a try! Still thinking about the 11-16 wide angle..........

Feb 22, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add wilco54 to your Buddy List
blassox

Registered: Jan 31, 2008
Review Date: Feb 18, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $499.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp @ f/2.8 at all focal lenght (yes, 135mm too!), fast and accurate aufocus. Built like a tank! This is what I call 'a lovely lens'.
Cons:
Too heavy? No way to take out the collar? A little bit too loud AF? I can leave with all this issue and this lens is always a 10 for me.

I love this AWESOME portrait lens just as I put it to my canon 7D. No way to take it out Smile
A little tip: I'm using a 430 ex II in DISABLE MODE when I shot in low light to help the lens to find the correct focus... but this works for every lens with not 100% precise AF drive...
FOR TOKINA: please consider to achive knoledge to build your own IS/OS/VC/VR stabilizer..

Feb 18, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add blassox to your Buddy List
nick53097

Registered: Apr 19, 2008
Review Date: Feb 13, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $518.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Build like tank, fast AF, excellent image
Cons:

Received my lens from Amazon 2 days ago. Much better than Sigma 70-200 HSM, better than Nikon 80-200 AF-D.
Fast, sharp and light.

Feb 13, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add nick53097 to your Buddy List
wilco54

Registered: Feb 21, 2009
Location: Luxembourg
Review Date: Nov 3, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Quality of build, price, speed (F2.8)
Cons:
Very little, view changes when it auto-focuses

I too did a lot of research and read every review available! I had already bought the stunning Canon 200mm f2.8L as the UK price was so good in Euro terms. I wanted a fast zoom lens but could not justify Canon 70 - 200 2.8 (with or without IS!) on my 450D (soon to be 50D or maybe 7D!) due to price and weight plus it is a truly professional lens and I am truly not ! I like the 50 to 135mm focal range. I can make up the gap from 135 to 200mm by walking the 4 to 5 metres or so! Absolutely delighted with it. Its a little heavy but thats the build quality. AF is quick enough and the manual focus clutch system is quick and clever - there is no hunting around for a little button (I have big hands!). Next stop is the 11-16 maybe!

Nov 3, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add wilco54 to your Buddy List
Lane48

Registered: Sep 3, 2008
Review Date: Nov 3, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $650.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Build Quality, Exceptional Image Quality, Out-of-Focus Blur (bokeh), Nice Focal Range
Cons:
Non-removable Collar

This lens is an excellent example of a third party lens manufacturer getting it right. I purchased this lens in January 2009. I purchased this particular lens based on test results and reviews that I had read. I originally wanted a fast zoom in the 70-200mm range that was not white. I am not a professional, and I don’t want people thinking that I am. I found that there were not a lot of choices available that would meet my criteria. So, I started looking at the 50-150mm range and found two; the Sigma and this lens. I really wanted the extra 15mm that the Sigma provided on the long end, but in the end the data and the reviews led me to choose the Tokina.

I have not been disappointed. The focus is always right on and the color and contrast is excellent. And, the out of focus blur is exceptional. I have found the images to be extremely sharp at all focal lengths and apertures. Shooting with this lens is pure pleasure. The build is exceptional. The balance is good. And, it comes with a hood and tripod collar. It would have been nice if the tripod collar was removable. I find that I have to rotate it up and to the right when not mounted on a monopod or tripod.

Nov 3, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Lane48 to your Buddy List
china2k

Registered: Nov 8, 2005
Review Date: Sep 27, 2009 Recommend? | Price paid: $780.00

Pros: build quality, zoom & focus fings handling, sharpness, focus range, bokeh blur
Cons:
MFD too long (1m could be better for e.g. 50mm lens), focus limit bang sound, a bit softer at 135/2.8, AF is slow to recover if you miss the target once

Hi, got this awesome lens this week, based on FM, SLRGear, Optychne, and Photozone reviews. Many thanks to all, the recommendations are just fair!

Overall impressed with the lens. I wish it would focus closer, cause over 1m at 50mm limits the creativity a bit. In particular, my intention is to use the lens as all-round portrait.

AF is casual but fast enough, no worries here. Ofc it could be better with USM, I wish it was. I wish the IS would be there, too - at 100-135mm this quite heavy combo challenges the steadiness of handheld photography. When it comes out, it could be an ultimate one.

Nothing moves or rotates, including MF focus ring during AF. I was searching for this aspect before, and it is not covered anywhere over internet. My 5 cents then.

The field of view changes a bit with focusing - not sure if this is good or bad. Just noticed this phenomenon.

The AF buzzes a little but nothing critical. When the AF hits the limit on both close and infinity ends, it bangs the limiter quite loudly - that is more important and can be irritating at times.

Overall I feel confident and I'm looking forward to real shots!

Sep 27, 2009