Tokina 12-24mm f/4 AT-X 124 AF PRO DX SD

73 154306 Jul 31, 2014
atx124afprodx

Mount availability: Canon and Nikon Digital Only*
Recommended Sensor size: APS-C Sized (23.7 X15.6mm)
CCD or CMOS sensor (w/1.5-1.6x magnification factor)
Zoom Range: 12-24mm
Maximum Aperture: F/4
Minimum Aperture: F/22
Optical Construction: 13 Elements / 11Groups
Coatings: Multi-layer Coatings
Zooming System: Rotary-type
Minimum Focus Distance: 11.8 in. (30cm)
Macro Ratio: 1:8
Number of Diaphragm Blades: 9
Dimensions: 3.3 in. (84mm) X 3.5 in. (89.5mm)
Weight: 20.1 oz. (570g)
Included Accessories: BH-777 Dedicated Lens Hood
Optional Accessories: Fitted Case
Suggested List Price: $899.00

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5

FiveForm

Registered: Dec 4, 2005
Review Date: Jun 27, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $499.99 | Rating: 8

Pros: Very solidly constructed of quality materials, wide, sharp field of view and good integration with Nikon F-Mount system, autofocus, etc.
Cons:
Quite high contrast lens. Some compensation is usually required to pull needed detail in shadows

A recent shot with the Tokina 12-24: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/548315/0#4760889.

I like this lens which is a great compliment to my Nikon 18-200 VR.

Jun 27, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add FiveForm to your Buddy List
breenj

Registered: Sep 24, 2005
Location: Marshall Islands
Review Date: Jun 24, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharpness, build quality, constant aperture, price
Cons:
Flaring (not unusual for WA)

I had this lens for over a year, and was very happy with it. It is sharp, has good colors, and is well built. Despite it's build, dropping it from seven feet onto a boulder wasn't a smart thing to do. After the plunge, the AF didn't work, but everything else was fine. Most lenses in this price range would have shattered.
I ended up trying out the Canon 10-22, which is also a good lens, for the additional 2mm on the wide end. I would recommend either, it just depends on the focal length range you want, or if you want f/4 over the whole range.

Jun 24, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add breenj to your Buddy List
jejphotobug

Registered: Sep 27, 2003
Review Date: Jun 23, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $499.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharpness, Color Rendition, Build, Focusing Speed
Cons:
None yet. But if I had to choose a couple of negatives then I would would have to say the CA and proneness to flare (with sun in front of camera) that have been reported in some reviews. CA is easily correctable in many photo editing software programs.

I must begin by stating that, although I had debated between this lens and the Canon EF-S 10-22mm lens, I had actually decided to buy the Canon because I had rented it 6 months ago and was happy with it. But, as luck would have it, B&H was out of the Canon lens when I went to purchase it a week ago. I had read some good reviews on the Tokina and decided to purchase it instead of waiting a couple of weeks. In the back of mind, I figured that I could always sell the Tokina and get the Canon if I wasn't happy with it.

But I am quite happy with this lens so far. It is built, as someone else had commented, like an L lens. It provides you with sharp photos. Color rendition is accurate and can be quite vivid depending on the subject matter. And I have been quite pleased with its autofocusing speed --- even if it doesn't have USM or HSM, the Tokina focus quite rapidly and accurately.

Would I have liked the extra 2mm at the wide end? Sure, without a doubt. Aren't we always looking for a lens with the most that it can give us? But, I am not certain that I will need it, or at least not often enough for me to have said that I will just wait for the Canon 10-22mm or to give the Sigma 10-20mm a try.

I did have to exchange the first copy, which had a slight soft right side even when stopped down to f/8 or f/10. I do not have that issue with my second copy. (In case anyone is curious, B&H was still out of the Canon 10-22mm lens but, in any case, I still wanted to give the Tokina another try.)

Here are a few samples that I took down the block from B&H Photo in midtown Manhattan (NYC) as soon as I picked up my second copy (fresh out of the box):

Overall, I am quite pleased with this lens and am looking forward to trying it out during the months of July and August when I will be on vacation and am especially looking forward to taking it with me to Disney World in August when I go with my wife and two daughters. I gave it an overall rating of 9 only because of the reports of CA and flare in reviews.

Jun 23, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jejphotobug to your Buddy List
rjanota

Registered: Sep 17, 2005
Location: Kuwait
Review Date: Jun 23, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $450.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: built like a rock, great focal range for crop bodies, constant f/4,
Cons:
none for this price

Very nice lens. Useful focal range. For crop bodies this lens is a must!

Jun 23, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add rjanota to your Buddy List
mrvile7734

Registered: Sep 1, 2005
Review Date: Jun 22, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $430.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, constant F/4, decent AF, good colors/contrast, built like a rock, great focal range for crop bodies
Cons:
12mm still not as wide as 10mm, CA may be a problem in harsh lighting conditions

Had this lens for a while, it was an excellent UWA. It is a very unique lens being the only one available for Canon with a fixed aperture. It's a sharp lens, autofocuses pretty fast (although not surprising for an UWA), very few distortions, and has great colors and contrast. The one big thing I noticed was the build...it's even more solid than the Sigma 10-20 and obviously much more substantial than the Canon 10-22, I wouldn't hesitate to use it as a weapon if I had to.

On the other hand, the CA can be a problem if you have very stark contrast edges in your photos. It can be fixed using Photoshop if you're shooting RAW, but can still be a pain. Also, 10mm is sooo much wider than 12mm, so in the end I switched to the Sigma 10-20 for those extra 2mm.

I do miss the Tokina a lot though, it was a great lens and probably better than the Sigma in every aspect except focal length.

Jun 22, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mrvile7734 to your Buddy List
camerapapi

Registered: Oct 15, 2002
Review Date: Jun 22, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $500.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, very practical focal lengths for digital capture, reasonably priced.
Cons:
CA but easily controlled with software and not much different from other wide angles.

I have owned this lens for about 10 months now. It is a great buy for the money. It is sharp and contrasty and the rendition of colors is pretty neutral.
It has CA mainly at the widest settings but nothing that a good software could not take care of and visible only at large magnifications. Flare is pretty well controlled for an extreme wide angle. Many times I use my hand to shade the lens even more. I do recommend to use the lens shade at all times.
This lens is in my opinion a special application lens. In my case, I do not use it every day but it is nice to have for those wide vistas and when compression of the background is a necessity, like shooting in tight places.
It is fantastically well built and I have found that at around f9 it exhibits excellent resolution accross all focal lengths. I have also used an earlier sample of the Nikkor counterpart and I believe the Tokina is better at widest apertures. Nikon does very well at 24mm.
In short, if you need these focal lengths you will not go wrong with Tokina.
William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

Jun 22, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add camerapapi to your Buddy List
dougsmit

Registered: Nov 26, 2003
Review Date: Jun 16, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Build; image quality; constant f/4; very useful zoom range
Cons:
Zoom/focus rings work backwards from Canon - can be confusing

Tokina was started by Nikon people so their lenses are designed for Nikon people and rings work backwards from Canon. This has cost me some shots. 12-24mm is a very useful zoom range to me since my shortest regular lens is 24-105mm leaving no gap and I own fisheyes to cover the really, really wide range. It is very useable at f/4 and extremely sharp stopped down a little. The lens has very solid feel. I'd prefer full time manual focus as offered by Canon but the slip clutch used on this lens is a close second. Highly recommended for any 1.6x crop body.

Jun 16, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add dougsmit to your Buddy List
Lasse Bruhn

Registered: May 30, 2007

Pros: Build. Sharp. Fast focus. Great lens. Not that cheap.. GREAT!
Cons:
Zoom-ring driveway different from canons lenses.
Jun 16, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Lasse Bruhn to your Buddy List
claudermilk

Registered: Jan 15, 2003
Review Date: Jun 14, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $470.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp images, excellent build, includes hood
Cons:
Not wider, backwards zoom ring

One of the top UWA zooms available. This lens produces excellent, sharp images. The image quality rivals that of the popular Canon 10-22 while the build leaves it in the dust. There is the expected edge distortion of a lens this wide, but it is fairly well-controlled and is no worse than the competition. This lens has a constant maximum aperture of f4, which is nice.

The lens build is reminiscent of Canon's famed L-series lenses. It has a nice textured black paint with an overall substantial feel. The zoom and manual focus rings turn smoothly and are well-damped. The lens includes a nice hood, so you don't have to spend more for one. The AF-MF clutch is a nice design in which you push the MF ring forward to engage MF and pull it back to engage AF; nice. The only drawback is the zoom works in reverse from Canon's so takes getting used to and can throw you when lens-swapping between this one and a Canon lens.

Overall I am very pleased with the lens and it's earned a permanent spot in my bag. Highly recommended.

Jun 14, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add claudermilk to your Buddy List

Tokina 12-24mm f/4 AT-X 124 AF PRO DX SD