Nikon D50

12 16119 Sep 13, 2014
d50

Effective pixels: 6.1 million

Image sensor: 23.7 x 15.6 mm RGB CCD; 6.24 million total pixels

Image size: L (3,008 x 2,000) / M (2,256 x 1,496) / S (1,504 x 1,000)

Sensitivity: ISO equivalency 200 to 1600 in steps of 1 EV

Storage media: SD Memory Card

Color setting: 3 modes available

LCD monitor: 2.0-in., 130,000-dot, low-temp. polysilicon TFT LCD with brightness adjustment

Exposure metering: TTL full-aperture exposure metering system; 3D Color Matrix Metering II, Center-Weighted, and Spot

Exposure control: Digital Vari-Program (Auto, Portrait, Landscape, Child, Sports, Close up, Night portrait), Programmed Auto with flexible program [P], Shutter-Priority Auto [S], Aperture-Priority Auto [A], and Manual [M]

Interface: USB 2.0 (Hi-Speed)

Power source: Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL3, AC Adapter EH-5 (optional)

Dimensions (W x H x D): Approx. 133 x 102 x 76mm (5.2 x 4.0 x 3.0 in.)

Weight: Approx. 540g (1lb 3oz) without battery memory card, or body cap

johnmh

Registered: Feb 26, 2008
Review Date: Sep 13, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Even now in 2014 this is a good entry level 'learner' body. Inexpensive used and able to use AF lenses (not requiring AF-S like newer Nikon 'consumer' bodies)
Cons:
Biggest negative is 2G limit to SD cards - they'll hold a good number of shots but these smaller cards are harder to find these days.

I've been using this for teaching the photography Merit Badge in our local Troop. They're more versatile than newer 'consumer' level bodies - paired with a 28-105mm lens you've got a very good and inexpensive beginner's setup. IMO the D50 is far more useful than later bodies like the D40 and D60.

Sep 13, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add johnmh to your Buddy List
MVSchenk

Registered: Jul 18, 2011
Review Date: Sep 9, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $340.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Can be used in full auto or full manual. This camera also accepts all lenses, even ones that will not auto-focus on D40/D40x/D60, etc. I've even used this at ISO 1600 with use-able results (I got paid for the 11x14 print). Love this camera, and especially now, since you can get them for much less price. Also, if you use the sync connection, or use a another flash (not a dedicated Nikon Flash), you can sync it up to 1/2000th of a shutter speed. NOW THAT'S AWESOME!!!!
Cons:

Buy it!!!!! You will love it.

Sep 9, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add MVSchenk to your Buddy List
robeede

Registered: May 9, 2008
Review Date: May 9, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $550.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: reasonable price, excellent quality, tremendous amount of features for the price plus the Nikon name, quality and number of lenses available for use.
Cons:
One could always use more ISO for low light photography, or hand holding telephotos

I've used the Nikon D50 for over a year now in all situations- in church last night w/ no flash, bird photography, nature/beach and macro flower photography, etc. It is a great all around camera w/ few flaws, especially considering the price.

One could ask for more ISO, but then the D3 is about $4500 more! I find the D50 over exposes a little, so i set it to a -0.3 or -0.7. I find the color and saturation to be great.

My friend steered me to the 50 instead of the 40 as he said the 50 could use lenses the 40 couldn't- he gave me a 70-300 to prove it. Thanks Art!

May 9, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add robeede to your Buddy List
ray_lam5

Registered: Sep 18, 2005
Review Date: Jan 30, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $320.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: great looking images out of camera, low noise, full functionality
Cons:

bought a well used camera for next to nothing and think I will keep this for a while. Images are always sharp and punchy straight out of the camera and 6mp is plenty for most applications. I have used this alongside a d200 and always preferred the size of the files from the d50. Files are always well exposed are colourful, even more so than the d200 images which required a lot of pp to be acceptable. Comparing to the other cameras i have used so far (canon 1D, 30D, 400D, 350D) and the d200, I think apart from the 1D i am enjoying the images from this camera the most. Pick one up for backup or as a lightweight dslr for next to nothing.

Jan 30, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ray_lam5 to your Buddy List
chrisnyee

Registered: Aug 13, 2006
Review Date: Dec 14, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $650.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Price, Good quality, Relatively low noise, Decent build quality, Good for a consumer/first or possibly a travel camera
Cons:
For what it is intended for and the entry price of it, very little.

I've had this camera for a little over two years now and it was my first DSLR. I was still learning a lot of the basics of photography with it and was a very good camera to learn on. The price of it is affordable, especially now, two years later. The body has stood up to the abuse I have put it through quite well. I have taken probably around 20,000 images with the camera so far and had no major issues.

For a beginner camera it is very good. It has just the right level of options and quality. The ergonomics of the camera are very good as well. For travel it is a very light camera that can get the job done as well.

I eventually found myself wanting something with a better auto-focus system because I found it lacking a bit when it came to shooting indoor sports. I just "upgraded" to a D1h which for the better auto-focus.

The biggest gripes that I have with the camera are not really valid because for someone learning they are not really that big of an issue. There is no second command dial in the front to control the aperture separately. Instead a button must be held down, but isn't that problematic. Also if you are shooting at night it can be difficult as well because the top screen is not illuminated.

Over all it is a very good camera for the money and has served me very well over the past two years and will continue to do so.

Dec 14, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add chrisnyee to your Buddy List
emandavi

Registered: Feb 15, 2005
Review Date: Nov 30, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 7

Pros: Price
Cons:
Too much red in skin color - not a good camera for portrait work

I used it to photograph 32 families over a weekend. The skin-tones came out too red. No matter what I did, they came out too red. If the photo was underexposed, or overexposed, the skin tone came too red.

I think this is a good-priced camera for a beginner, but I just don't see any professional using it for professional work. Not like the Canon cameras, where professionals use even the Rebel digital cameras with great results.

I purchased the D40, and we'll see if they've fixed the issue with the D40. Otherwise, I'm selling it, too.

Nov 30, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add emandavi to your Buddy List
Thang

Registered: Jan 25, 2004
Review Date: Oct 8, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: cleanest high ISO DSRL from Nikon; price; IQ; hot buttons; 1/500 flash sync; built quality; AF accuracy
Cons:
shutter lag; low mp count

This is a great carry-around camera. After using the d40 and d50 for over 3 months, I decided the d50 is a better choice, especially for use with Nikon fast primes. I was also looking at the d80 for its higher pixel count but I need the clean high ISO performance of the d50. This is by far, the best consumer DSLR I have ever used. It leaves the Canon 300d, 350d, 400d in the dust.

Unlike Canon's which are plaque with front/rear AF issue, the D50's focus is spot on. Built quality is much much better than Canon's equivalent. It feels solid and not plasticly.

The 1/500 flash-sync is a welcome bonus. Not sure why Nikon doesn't provide this feature in their latest models. This is ashame.

I paid $350 for mine and it's the best investment I have ever made in digital photography. Biggest issues I have with this camera is the low mp count, as mentioned before. The other is the shutter lag. Wish it was as quick as the d40.

Oct 8, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Thang to your Buddy List
firewireguy

Registered: Feb 20, 2006
Review Date: Jul 28, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Good size, ergonomics, ISO performance, build quality, price, battery life is insanely good
Cons:
lots of menu diving to do occasionally. No decent grip available with controls like the 300D. Viewfinder is small but not bad for this level of camera. The built in flash does not work well at all with close subjects but is ok at a few feet

I've had mine for about 18 months now and for the price these days you can't go far wrong with this camera. It takes great pictures has a lot of decent features. It can take AF-D lens' too which makes it better than the D40x for me as I can use the nikon primes with it. The high ISO performance is good, the resolution is more than enough for what I do and I've made great prints at 12"x9" without even getting close to a resolution issue. It fit in your hand very nicely, although I would like it if it were a bit bigger like the D70/200. Good all round entry level DSLR which will serve most newcomers to the field very well indeed. I think the lack of a grip is a big pain as I would love one for portrait work.

It's hard to criticize the camera really as all my gripes with it are gripes that I'd have with any other camera of this entry range. It isn't really fair to compare it to what I now want from a camera because I'm now looking for more pro level features and ergonomics.

Jul 28, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add firewireguy to your Buddy List
kool100vr4

Registered: Apr 23, 2004
Review Date: Jul 28, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $330.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Great price for a DSLR, it does the job for less cost.
Cons:
I dont think D50 has custome white balance?, if anyone know how please show me. thnxs.

To follow up with my Nikon D50 review, I got a chance to test out both of my Sony A100 vs Nikon D50, I used both with the same Tamron SP 28-105MM F2.8 (retail for 1,000$), I got 2 of this same lenses because I like it a lot, I shot both at the same cropping and subjects, both set at 200iso, both with f8.0, pretty much the same settings. It was a partly cloudy day.
My conclusion is:
Nikon D50 has a bit better in sharpness, but for that you gained abit more noise in sky or smooth surface, or in 3/4 shadow end. D50 neutral is more leanning toward reddish(pinkish) or bluish cast, the greys come out of D50 is alomost never grey, people fleshtone seem to lean toward reddish, seems to blout out highlites in the whites, D50 got nicer contrast and brighter.I like the shutter snap better on D50, both feel good in my hands, both are fast shooting, both got battery grip.
Sony A100 has less sharpness, but smoother images, the neutral is better than D50, the whites and the greys seem to be on par, but in overall images it got warmer cast to it..After all Sony made sensor (CCD) for Nikon.
Both are good, its really what you want.
I personally pick my 2 Fujis S2 & S3 PRO over these 2 cameras for its final products. Fuji has much better Dynamic range with its Super CCD, and beautiful Fuji colors.
Looking to buy Fuji S5 Pro when the price drops, and waiting to see all new Sony DSLRs coming out soon.
JV

Jul 28, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add kool100vr4 to your Buddy List
Jesse S

Registered: Sep 22, 2006
Review Date: Jul 26, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $550.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Light, excellent quality, accurate colors, great entry-level or backup camera.
Cons:
No ISO 100, No front wheel command

My first dSLR. I'm still using it. Awesome camera.

Jul 26, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Jesse S to your Buddy List
Ruben Silva

Registered: Jul 19, 2007
Location: Argentina
Review Date: Jul 20, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $900.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: image quality, precision, low noise, robustness
Cons:
no direct controls for W/B, ISO, lack of commander mode flash

The D50 is an amazing camera, robust, all perfection for its functions, and has a great sensor 6.1 MP Nikon DX Format (23.7 x 15.6 mm) which has larger pixels size (less noise) than the more dense alternatives, yet a quite good resolution.
Sooting in RAW is brutal sharp if paired with good optics. All the necessary functions are installed for capturing great RAW files at exceptional quality.

Jul 20, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Ruben Silva to your Buddy List
Billy the dude

Registered: Jul 12, 2007
Review Date: Jul 18, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros:
Cons:

Jul 18, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Billy the dude to your Buddy List

Nikon D50