Nikon D80

9.2
d80

Effective pixels: 10.2 million

Image sensor: RGB CCD, 23.6 x 15.8 mm, 10.75 million total pixels

Image size: L (3,872 x 2,592) / M (2,896 x 1,944) / S (1,936 x 1,296)

Sensitivity: 100 to 1600 (ISO equivalent) in steps of 1/3 EV, plus HI-0.3, HI-0.7 and HI-1

Storage media: SD memory card, SDHC compatible

LCD monitor: 2.5-in., 230,000-dot, low-temp. polysilicon TFT LCD with brightness adjustment

Exposure metering: 3D Color Matrix Metering II, Center-Weighted and Spot Metering

Exposure modes: Digital Vari-Program (Auto, Portrait, Landscape, Macro Close up, Sports, Night Landscape, Night Portrait), Programmed Auto [P] with flexible program; Shutter-Priority Auto [S]; Aperture Priority Auto [A]; Manual [M]

Interface: USB 2.0 (Hi-speed) (mini-B connector); SD card slot

Power sources: Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL3e, MB-D80 battery pack (optional), AC Adapter EH-5 (optional)

Dimensions (W x H x D): Approx. 132 x 103 x 77mm (5.2 x 4.1 x 3.0 in.)

Weight: Approx. 585g (1lb 5oz) without battery, memory card, or body cap or monitor cover

labradford

Registered: May 16, 2009
Location: Turkey
Review Date: May 30, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $500.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: good colours, handy, light and mobile
Cons:
Pictures taken at 400 and above ISO's goes directly to the recycle bin. no exposure meter on the upper LCD...

I tried two copies of D80. Both are beautiful. Colours are wild but in the vivid modes you cant get true skintones. After getting Nikon d90, i nver look back to the days i was with the d80. I reccomend d90 in the same class. D80 was a good camera but now we have nikon d90 with th great ISO performance.

May 30, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add labradford to your Buddy List
Teru Kage

Registered: Oct 29, 2007
Review Date: Jan 2, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $800.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Great ISO range and high ISO performance, Commander Mode wireless flash, 11-area focus, larger viewfinder, larger and more resolving LCD
Cons:
Overexposure of high contrast environments, slower flash sync.

Been using the D80 for over a year now. I upgraded from the D70 and aside from the slower flash sync, I definitley prefer the D80.

PROS:

Larger Viewfinder - The image is larger and brighter, which makes a big difference when composing my shots.

Great high ISO performance - I like to minimize the amount of post processing as much as possible. Sure, you can get good results with a D70 + Noise Ninja, but the D80 delivers clean images straight out of the camera. Some people have nitpicked about Watercolor effects, etc. but I've been very happy with my D80. I rarely ever went higher than ISO640 on my D70 but I confidently shoot at ISO800-1000 on my D80. Even 1600 is very useable. Samples can be found here:

www.fotop.net/teruphoto/D80

Delayed exposure - Not quite Mirror Lock Up but still better than not having anything on the D70.

Larger resolution - I need to make large prints, and the 10MP of the D80 really does show.

ISO100 - The ISO200 of the D70 was pretty clean, but I still prefer the ISO100 of the D80. Plus, it allows me one more stop for long exposure shots (like waterfalls, trailing lights.)

Commander Mode wireless flash - I loved the wireless i-TTL flash of my D70, but the D80 goes one step further by allowing the built-in flash to contribute to the flash output, essentially giving me an extra light source.

11-area focus - Lets me track moving subjects more easily.

Larger Continuous Buffer - I sometimes need to shoot a sequence of shots to capture an action, and the 23 frames of the D80 is nearly double that of the D70.

Larger, more resolving LCD - Makes a difference when shooting models because I get to show them their photos more clearly. Nothing helps a shoot better than when a model is happy with how her photos are coming out.

MB-D80 - At last, I can use a Nikon brand vertical grip!

CONS:

While my D70 tended to expose on the conservative side, the D80's Matrix Metering tends to overexpose when shooting in high contrast environments (eg: outdoors on a bright sunny day). The histogram is vital in these situations (or better yet, use Spot Metering and Manual Mode exposure).

Here's a wishlist:

1/500s flash sync (really miss this from my D70)
True Mirror Lock-Up
Dedicated ISO/WB buttons like the D200

Jan 2, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Teru Kage to your Buddy List
Mats Oun

Registered: Sep 24, 2007
Location: Estonia
Review Date: Sep 24, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Handy, very good at high ISO settings, big LCD, quick
Cons:
It EATS battery twice as quickly as D70. I must carry instead of 1 additional battery with me now 2. Thinking seriously about getting a battery grip.

I'm not pro, but from time to time I shoot for newspapers - mainly to accompany my own articles. I upgraded onto D80 from D70 what I was 3 years quite happy with. The main reason was actual size of the file as I make sometimes 60x90 cm and bigger prints. D70 files were not good enough sometimes. Of course there are far better cameras, but the best I could afford now was D80. I really liked the camera from the very beginning. It has many common features with D70 - so getting used to it took only some hours. First you notice - LCD is much bigger - for my eyes (slightly over 40) it has become important feature. The canera body is a little bit smaller, but still extremely handy. I don't use or care about software bla-bla possibilities - D-lightning, sepia etc. (I use for that Photoshop). The menu is in my opinion better than D70's one. Otherwise it is the same D70 I was very happy with. Oh, yes - I forgot the image quality..........THAT HAS IMPROVED A LOTTTTTTTT...... It seems that D80 ISO 1600 has the same noise as D70 ISO 800-1000 - and still quite few. Believe or not - you can use even ISO 3200 pics made in dim lihght for newspaper pics...and even 12x18cm. As I shoot often concerts (you are not allowed to use flash there!) in very poor lightning conditions the D80 is really useful camera. Maybe I am one of the Nikonists... ;-))))) With Nikkor 70-300 VR it makes miracles - 1/3 s. and the image is SHARP.....from hand.

Sep 24, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Mats Oun to your Buddy List
deepimpact

Registered: Aug 9, 2006
Review Date: Jul 27, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $750.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: low noise in iso 1600, compatible with the old lens, built in flash commander.
Cons:
Plastics like body

I use both Canon 20D and Nikon , D80 is my second digital camera , comes with 18-200mm and 50mm f/1.8. I like the colorful and contrast from nikon lens and ISO auto. Something from D80 likes 20D -> low noise in iso 1600 , human skin tone. 20D is my son and D80 is my daughter. Smile:):)

Jul 27, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add deepimpact to your Buddy List
Jon Capozzi

Registered: Jul 19, 2007
Review Date: Jul 21, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Ergonomics, Great Firmware, Fast focusing, Great Meter, Great LCD, Image Quality.
Cons:
High ISO performance

I've had this Camera for about 6 months. It was my first DSLR, and what a way to start out! My uncle had a D70 and I had used it many times. It turned me onto the Nikon system with their ease of use and the excellent picture quality. Now, after using my D80, I wouldn't be able to go back to the D70 just because of the many features and upgrades the D80 has. Even something as small as multiple exposure mode has opened up my ways of shooting that much more. The only thing I wish the D80 had over the D70 is the 1/500th flash sync. The 1/200th is a bit of a limitation when shooting action with flashes during the day. That is my only complaint with the D80. Great job on Nikon's part for following up the D70 with an amazing product.

Jul 21, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Jon Capozzi to your Buddy List
ghamden

Registered: Aug 10, 2005
Review Date: Jul 21, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: THe D80 is a very capable camera i suggest shooting a ;ot to get used the camera
Cons:
No so far just shoot until yuo get used to it's feel and capablities

I used canons for years even the 5D -- i switched to nikon because of ergonomics and consumer lens that shhot like pro lens
My experince so far is that the D80 is a very capable camera also exellent selection of third party lens

Canon has its advantages but i think NIkon has not closed the prosumer gap but has set a standard that even it will really have trouble improving on....

Jul 21, 2007