312 487709 Sep 3, 2014

A highly practical medium telephoto lens with superb delineation and portability. Images are sharp and clear at all apertures. Through computer simulations, the lens has been designed to give beautiful background blur. Since the front lens group does not rotate during focusing special filter effects are not affected.

lord_malone

Registered: Oct 9, 2005
Review Date: Sep 25, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $349.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Focal length on both full frame and APS-C sensors, image quality more than matches the 85 1.2L I & II, AF speed, large max aperture (sadly not 1.4 or below, but fast nonetheless, cost vs. the 85 1.2L, lightweight, inconspicuous, sharp, sharp and sharp! Does sports, weddings, portraits, household pets, ducks... This is an L lens in disguise.
Cons:
lens hood is bit weak, lens hood sold separately, AF is a tad noisy, doesn't have that L quality build (obviously for the price)... Honestly I really can't pick this lens apart. This is the best prosumer lens I've ever used PERIOD.

BLUF, this isn't a very technical review. Most everything good that can be said about this lens has already been mentioned and repeated. I'll just hit on a few points that are important to me. I once owned the mighty 85 1.2L and it was truly a stellar performer. I used to long for the days I could go back to having that ultra-fast 1.2 aperture, but the 85 1.8 pretty much mitigated the need. The 85 1.2L is now at the very bottom of my lens priority list, and I don't even feel that it's a necessity any longer. Yes, the 85 1.8 is THAT GOOD. How can a $350 lens possibly match its more expensive faster brother(s) for IQ? I don't know, but Canon has done something right and this is absolutely to best bang for buck non L glass you can buy. If you're in need of a lens for indoor sports, this lens fits the bill. Fast aperture is a plus, but the faster auto focus puts the 1.2 version to shame. If you're in need of a lens for portraits, this lens is arguably among the best Canon has to offer, and ranks right up there with the 85L and 135L. I've used this lens for weddings and environmental portraits and it does not disappoint at all. This lens is sharp across the aperture range, and out performs some L's I've owned. If you're considering the 85L, I strongly recommend you try this lens before you plunk down all that hard earned cash. Yeah, this lens may not have a red ring, but it deserves one.

Sep 25, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add lord_malone to your Buddy List
kingoftheapes

Registered: Mar 9, 2006
Review Date: Sep 25, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $320.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Fast, good price, fast focus, light
Cons:
purple fringing, contrast suffers when wide open

This lens is excellent for portraits and low light situations.
Focus speed is fast and tracking moving subjects is easily done.

Contrast seems a bit poor at f1.8 and purple fringing is obvious in high contrast situations.

The hood is cheaply constructed and could fit more snugly.

This lens and the 50mm 1.8 are very close in range but the 85mm f1.8 is a much better performer in focus speed and bokeh.

Overall, a very good lens for the money.

Sep 25, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add kingoftheapes to your Buddy List
Daniel Hwang

Registered: Mar 18, 2007
Review Date: Sep 6, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $329.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp @ wide open, creamy bokeh, FAST AF
Cons:
I hate the hood

This lens produces some amazing pictures.
It somehow makes my ugly friend look pretty/handsome.

Mine was sharp out of the box at all aperture even @ 1.8.

AF was fast and dead on.

CA wasn't noticeable in real life shooting unless you shoot a sheet of crumpled foils.

Only thing I don't like about this lens is its hood.
It won't fit tightly.
I can hold the hood and spin the lens freely.
Come on canon, even sigma makes better hood/fit.

Sep 6, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Daniel Hwang to your Buddy List
bubbles55

Registered: Jul 13, 2005
Review Date: Sep 5, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $325.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great portrait/headshot lens. Excellent quality for the price. Colors pop.
Cons:

I'm constantly amazed that I use a $325 lens for professional portraits. For any other type of professional photography I'd have to spend at least a grand to start up. Wild life? Sports? Wedding? Forget about it. But here I can show up with a lens that costs about the same as my session fee and produce amazing beautiful results.

The colors this lens produces are second to none. They just seem richer and fuller than the colors on my mid-range zoom lens.

My one complaint is the lens doesn't look very impressive on my camera. From 10 feet away I can't tell if my 50 1.8 is mounted on the camera or the 85 1.8. I've yet to get confused and shoot a session with the wrong lens, but it's not really going to impress a client like the 85 1.2 will. This isn't a real complaint, it's just an observation.

Sep 5, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add bubbles55 to your Buddy List
Don Farra

Registered: Sep 4, 2007
Review Date: Sep 5, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $280.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Super sharp images, clear, clean and free of distortion. Fast focusing that is dead on.
Cons:

Compared to my 85 1.2 L lens this lens is a speed demon and for images shot beyond 3 feet and above f/4.0 they appear nearly the same to me. This lens can track my 3 year old daughter running around and playing, indoor or outdoors, while the 85 1.2 L cannot. Great value when you consider the price.

Sep 5, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Don Farra to your Buddy List
mordonio

Registered: Nov 25, 2005
Review Date: Jul 28, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: price, fast autofocus, weight
Cons:
CA, no hood (again), min. focusing distance, weight (what a relief)

this should be in every photographer's (amateur/advance) kit ... usable, although CA is evident on objects with shiny surface or fabric, at 1.8 and very sharp from 2.0 onwards ... USM works great in those dimly lit locations ... wish it can focus a little more closer (3 ft. is minimum focusing distance) ... bokeh is very good considering its a 'cheap' lens and not an 'L' lens ... basically this is a 'portrait' lens ... you cannot ask for more for this lens except maybe the incredibly expensive hood ... get it and be amazed ...

Jul 28, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mordonio to your Buddy List
tom s

Registered: Jun 3, 2007
Location: Croatia
Review Date: Jul 26, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 7

Pros: price, size, fast focusing (ring type USM), sharp from f/2.5-f/11
Cons:
not very sharp between f/1.8-f/2.5, not good for close ups, nasty purple fringing wide open (f/1.8-f/2), average bokeh

This lens is a nice inexpensive lens. It's an improvement over lowly 50 f1.8 and 50 f1.4 USM. It has better bokeh (although still in the average category, it's not as creamy as 135 f/2L or 70-200 f/2.8L), and ring type USM. But, it has pretty low magnification ratio, so forget about close-ups with this lens (you can buy extension tubes, tho'; the results can be really nice)...Also, purple fringing is the real problem with this lens...This is a special type of CA, and not that easy to correct...It appears when there are shiny objects in your pictures (water, lamps, jewels...) and large apertures are used (f/1.8-f/2.8).

The lens is somewhat soft wide open, so I don't use it that much for natural light portraits, but it gets really sharp by f/4 and remains sharp up to f/11. The best setting for portraits is f/5.6.

Overall, it's good, but there are better portrait lenses around (135 f/2 is much sharper at f/2, it has better colors and microcontrast, and bokeh is so creamy).

But, if you shoot portraits in studio at f/5.6-f/8 and need an occasional indoor sports lens, 85 f/1.8 will be the perfect choice for you. It's cheap, so why not?

Jul 26, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add tom s to your Buddy List
dimitris77

Registered: Aug 28, 2005
Review Date: Jun 18, 2007 Recommend? | Price paid: $350.00

Pros: Price, Image Quality, Size
Cons:

This is THE lense to beat at the price. I am getting amazing results on my 20D with creamy bokeh and very sharp pictures overall. Its size and internal focusing makes this a really nice lense to drag around. I shot this mostly in the f2.2-f2.8 area and it really gives very nice colors, sharpness and bokeh. I have tried it sometimes on f1.8 but the in focus area is so shalow that areas go out of focus. Generally speaking its an amazing lense and delivers better results than a 70-200mm L in a smaller package. It also holds its own against my old trusty Nikor 85mm F1.4.

Jun 18, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dimitris77 to your Buddy List
Per Zangenberg

Registered: Jan 17, 2007
Review Date: Jun 14, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp wide open, excellent on fullframe, no vignetting @1.8 on 5D, very acurate focus, excellent for portrait and low light, IQ/sharpness equal or better than 70-200L f4 IS, sweet bokeh.
Cons:
No red ring ;)

I used this in a model session a long with 24-104L and 70-200L f4 IS on 5D. The 85mm 1.8 impressed me the most and gave the best images. I was amazed at the sharpness even at f1.8. Also no vignetting like on the 24-105L.

Shots @ f1.8

f2.0

Jun 14, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Per Zangenberg to your Buddy List
LotsToLearn

Registered: Jan 12, 2006
Review Date: Jun 4, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp. Great DOF. Fairly solid build.
Cons:
None yet.

This is another lens along with the 50 f/1.4 that I wish I would use a little more. I picked up my copy second hand at a good price for my area from a fellow FMer.

For most of what I find myself shooting, it's a little long indoors at home and a little short outdoors. Also, I usually have my 135L on my camera. However; since I've recently upgraded and added a second body with a different FOVCF, I hope to get more use out of this apparent little gem.

The times I've used it on my 20D, it has produced really sharp images with superbly rendered colours. The bokeh is beautiful and the focus is quick and accurate. It's too bad it's a little long on the 20D for my cramped indoors because it's f/1.8 has been great for low light.

Although similarly built to the 50 f/1.4, I guess because it's a little larger it doesn't feel too flimsy in my hands.

Jun 4, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add LotsToLearn to your Buddy List
Aaron Hogsed

Registered: May 31, 2007
Review Date: May 31, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $350.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Razor sharp. Great color and contrast
Cons:
doesn't have the prestige of the 85 1.2L

This is likely the most lens I have ever got for the money. Incredible sharp and contrasty. Similar performance to my L series lenses and sharper than some L zooms. Very good performance at 1.8 even better at 2.8-5.6.

May 31, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Aaron Hogsed to your Buddy List
Andrea1975

Registered: May 26, 2007
Review Date: May 26, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharpness, fast and silent AF, bokeh, size, price
Cons:
Backfocusing

This lens is amanzingly sharp from f2.0 on. Its build quality is not up to the L lenses standard, but perfectly adequate for the price. Apart from that, it meets all the requirement of a professional grade portrait lens.
I found backfocusing when using it on a 5D and I had it calibrated under warranty.

May 26, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Andrea1975 to your Buddy List
Breach

Registered: Apr 7, 2005
Location: Bulgaria
Review Date: Apr 12, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $330.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Very fast AF, good IQ, good build quality
Cons:
CA in certain situations, could be sharper, bit too long on a 1.6x

That was my third lens, with the 70-200 2.8 IS now locked on budget allowing.

I was using the EF-S 60mm for portraits, but then figured, all positives aside, I needed the 85mm. It's f/1.2 brother is in a league of its own. So as far as FL was concerned it had to be the 85mm f/1.8.

The good: A compact prime, good build quality. I really enjoy the AF speed, especially in low light. AF is very accurate, very fast and generally superb. The bokeh you get is superb for this FL. Since this lens if about 135mm on a crop (equivalent that is), I've been using this lens heavily for stage photography with excellent results. This lens could be almost sharp to very sharp -- still don't quite get when it decides to behave better than average. It's usable at f/1.8 (which usually goes hand in hand with ISO 1600). It gets really good from f/2.2 onwards with f/2.8 being the aperture at which it really starts to shine.

The bad: It's not as sharp as my EF-S 60mm or even my EF-S 17-55... Guess I am spoiled :-) Seriously, it's an old design and costs $300. Don't get me wrong IQ is generally good to excellent, but sometimes it just sucks, even at high shutter speeds and f/2+ apertures... The hood is flimsy too -- I got the ET-65III hood which has some sort of textile padding, but clipon hoods are hopefully dead as far as I am concerned. Every time I put the hood on it feels as if it will break off the next second :-) Next -- CA can be a BIG problem with this lens... it only shows in certain high contrast situations and truth be told I only rarely experienced it, but when CA shows it SHOWS. On another note, 85mm on a crop could be a bit too long, so think again if you intend to use it on a 1.6x crop in a studio -- you'll need the distance.

Generally, I am quite happy with this lens. Sure, the f/1.2 II is way better in terms of sharpness and low light capability, but I hear its AF is slower for one, plus it costs BIG. I never played around with the 50mm Canon primes, but I never missed them either (since I have the EF-S 17-55 :-) 100mm is too long for portraits IMHO. So there you have it -- another happy user.

Apr 12, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Breach to your Buddy List
Greg Feldman

Registered: Mar 14, 2005
Review Date: Apr 10, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $320.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Size, weight, fairly solid build, image quality
Cons:
CA wide open

Surprisingly sharp wide open. It does improve at f/2.8, and even just stopped down a third to f/2, but this lens defines the often-heard "usable wide open." The only issue is prominent chromatic aberration at high-contrast areas. This is probably not an issue for most intended uses of the lens.

It's really nice to be able to shoot at 85mm indoors with ambient light.

The size is perfect, and the focusing ring is quite comfortable--and very "nudge-able," which is important when working with such small DOF.

I wasn't sure if this lens would be redundant, since I already have a 70-200 2.8 and the 100 2.8 macro. And a 28-75, come to think of it. It's not redundant; the zoom is literally too big to use in cramped quarters, and the extra 1.3 stops make a big difference in low light. Moreover, this lens is probably sharper wide open at f/1.8 than the zoom is wide open at f/2.8.

For someone who's used only zooms before--even if they've been good ones--this lens would be the perfect introduction to primes. The price-to-performance figure is fantastic. For someone who's used only a kit-lens zoom that needs to be used at f/8 for decent photos, this lens would be a revelation.

Apr 10, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Greg Feldman to your Buddy List
b3n08

Registered: Apr 23, 2006
Review Date: Mar 27, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: incredibly sharp, strong build, great price, excellent colour and contrast
Cons:
none that I have encountered

It took a while to get the feel of what this lens was capable of, but since then, my best shots have come from this lil baby.

A definite must have for portraits.

Mar 27, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add b3n08 to your Buddy List
samnz

Registered: Feb 1, 2006
Review Date: Mar 24, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Compact | Quick and Sharp
Cons:
None yet

Its size and weight is comparable to the 28-105 f3.5-4.5 so it's very compact and light.

The optional barrel hood is quick to mount/dismount with 2 quick release tabs on the side. Can be reversed on your lens for easy storage. Not the best of lookers but, you get over it pretty quickly when you see the results.

Operation: AF is very quick. Very similar to the speed of 17-55 f2.8 IS - which is damn quick! Silent and accurate operation allows this lens to sit on my 30D alot longer than any other lens...17-55 included!

The rest you've heard before: sharp wide open...contrasty and sharp all round...great in low light...great in low light!

Portrait shots of 2-3 people (head and shoulders) = amazing! You're not in their face - unlike the 30mm 1.4 or even 50mm 1.4.

Mar 24, 2007