311 486649 Mar 4, 2014

A highly practical medium telephoto lens with superb delineation and portability. Images are sharp and clear at all apertures. Through computer simulations, the lens has been designed to give beautiful background blur. Since the front lens group does not rotate during focusing special filter effects are not affected.

rndman

Registered: Apr 10, 2009
Review Date: Jul 21, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $330.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp wide open. Bokeh...
Cons:
What?

Best bang for buck. With this performance, how can you justify 85mm L which is 5 times the cost of this, just for F1.2 and red ring?

Jul 21, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add rndman to your Buddy List
hatch1921

Registered: May 12, 2005
Review Date: Jul 16, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $370.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Super sharp! Fast focus! Bokeh isn't bad... nice focal length.
Cons:
CA in some situations.

For the price to performance ratio... this lens is a winner! Super fast to focus... super sharp!
Looking forward to using this lens more than the first copy I bought and sold.
Well worth the $ IMO.

Nice little prime!

Hatch

Jul 16, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add hatch1921 to your Buddy List
erikburd

Registered: Feb 3, 2010
Review Date: Jun 21, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $375.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp, excellent bokeh, fast focus, gives excellent pictures even at f/2. Lightweight - don't even know it's attached.
Cons:
You will see some CA at f/1.8, but goes away from f/2.2 onwards. Not a problem for me, as a rarely (if ever) use f/1.8.

I use this as a medium telephoto, largely for portraits and as a walk around lens. It's a bit on the long side on 1.6 crop cameras (I have an XSi) when using it as a walk around lens, but it works pretty well.

The 3 foot minimum focusing distances takes some time to get used to, since some of my other lenses have much shorter focusing distances.

Simply put - no complaints and an excellent lens for the price. Excellent bang for the buck.

Jun 21, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add erikburd to your Buddy List
Annapurna

Registered: Dec 29, 2004
Review Date: Jun 21, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Right on every time. Wish all lenses were as goo as this.
Cons:

Everytime I use this lens I am surprised how good it is.

Jun 21, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Annapurna to your Buddy List
tororo

Registered: May 26, 2010
Review Date: May 26, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Nice bokeh, sharp, light-weight, fast USM
Cons:
CA at wide open

Focus is fast and very accurate. Sharp and nice bokeh.
85mm 1.2L was too heavy and also wide open was not very good so I kept this one.
At wide open, you have to be careful with what you shoot since CA at wide open can get hefty depending on the subject.

May 26, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add tororo to your Buddy List
kkroeker

Registered: Feb 3, 2009
Review Date: Apr 20, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $379.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp wide open and beautiful bokeh
Cons:
none so far.

Sharp, sharp & sharp...even wide open @ 1.8 this baby is sharp! The bokeh is oh soooooooo creamy too Wink I don't know why I waited so long to get it. If your're considering buying this lens just go & buy it... you'll love it Wink

I am shooting it on a 7d.

Apr 20, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add kkroeker to your Buddy List
Trevor Sowers

Registered: Aug 14, 2009
Review Date: Apr 14, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $550.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp wide open. Good build. Light. Fast and accurate AF.
Cons:
Would prefer a bayonet hood although the clip on one has not been a problem it's just finickier to attach.

I don't hesitate to shoot wide open. I love this lens for portraits indoors and out. I also use it for sports where it's wide aperture and fast AF rock!

If you think you want a short telephoto prime don't waste your time thinking about it, just buy it.

Apr 14, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Trevor Sowers to your Buddy List
Marc de Wit

Registered: Apr 3, 2010
Review Date: Apr 7, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Fast AF , usable 1.8 , very sharp starting at 2.5 , colors , bokeh
Cons:
To much CA , very poor hood (very loose clampsystem ) , Canon's arrogancy in not changing this and still asking a lot of dollars / euros is unbelievable.

Top IQ ,
the hood is a disaster and not Canon worthy

Apr 7, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Marc de Wit to your Buddy List
supergrandma

Registered: Apr 1, 2010
Review Date: Apr 1, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $350.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Fast autofocus, good build quality, sharp, affordable, f/1.8
Cons:
Purple fringing, slightly soft wide open

The Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 is a superior and affordable prime. I use it primarily for portraits on a 450D, and it functions superbly. The autofocus is fast and accurate, and the build and image quality exceed the price of the lens. Wide open, center performance is relatively impressive, and stopped down to f/2.8, images are incredibly sharp across the frame. The lens' only real downside is its tendency to produce purple fringing, which generally isn't problematic. As a whole, the lens is fantastic, especially considering its low price.

Apr 1, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add supergrandma to your Buddy List
Phil UKNet

Registered: Oct 20, 2007
Review Date: Mar 27, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Cheap, light weight, great low-light performance, very good image quality, pleasant bokeh, good reach on a crop body
Cons:
None really

This lens is a real bargain. The image quality is indistinguishable from my L lenses and it is a lot faster than any of my L lenses.

The construction may not be to L standards, but it feels quite solid. Not being an L lens, it doesn't come with a lens hood but I haven't really found a hood to be necessary.

The shallow depth of field and smooth bokeh makes it a good portrait lens. It's particularly good for street photography and candid photos. It's not much bigger than a 'standard' lens; it's not white; and it therefore doesn't attract attention.

The reach is good on a crop body camera and for portraits you have a comfortable working distance from your subject.

Compressed landscape scenes are also good. The closest focusing distance isn't that close so there are limits with macro-type work.

Considering the image quality and price, I can't criticise any aspect of this lens.

For some sample images see:

Mar 27, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Phil UKNet to your Buddy List
fusionphoto

Registered: Apr 16, 2005
Review Date: Mar 2, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $379.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Cost, quick AF, good DOF, sharpness across the board
Cons:
Some CA wide open

I bought this lens a few days ago for a great price. After some initial testing I have found it to be a pleasing lens to use, usable wide open at 1.8 but get even sharper stopped down a little.
I had considered the L 85 f1.2 but the extra price did not warrant the purchase so I went with this, and I'm glad I did it will surely become one of my favs.

Built quality although no L is still very good and the lens feels solid and well built.

It does, as has been reported in other reviews, suffer from some vignetting when used wide open and some CA is apparent but nothing that will cause me a problem. A good lens I would recommend to a friend.

Mar 2, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add fusionphoto to your Buddy List
Keith Broad

Registered: Aug 14, 2007
Review Date: Feb 17, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Razor sharp, fast, responsive AF, very nice contrast, colour and bokeh, value
Cons:
Lens hood is a clamp style - not very secure

I finally bought this lens after considering the 'L' version. The 1.2 was very tempting, but I heard really good stories about the 1.8. The thing that swayed me most was the focus speed. I tried a 1.2 in the shop and found it was pretty slow. The 1.8 is no speed demon, but it is acceptably fast. I have tried the lens on both my 1DIII and 5D2 and it doesn't need to be micro-adjusted.

My first outing with the lens (portraits of my very active grandchildren) produced shots with beautiful bokeh, contrast and outstanding sharpness. This may be my favourite lens for a while.

Feb 17, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Keith Broad to your Buddy List
denoir

Registered: Feb 11, 2010
Review Date: Feb 17, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $700.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp, nice bokeh, fast
Cons:
CA

This is my favorite prime lens. Exceptionally sharp, excellent in low light and it produces a great creamy bokeh. It's probably the best value lens you can buy. Build quality is OK - not up to 'L' standard but better than for instance the 50/1.4. The auto focus is very fast.

The only negative aspect is the purple fringing that you get in high contrast areas.

Overall a fantastic lens with probably the best value for money that you can get from Canon.

Feb 17, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add denoir to your Buddy List
ajt36

Registered: Dec 15, 2008
Review Date: Feb 15, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $339.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Solid; nicely balanced on my 30D; Sharp stopped down a bit; Beautiful bokeh
Cons:
Low light focusing; Minimum focus distance, at least initially

I bought this lens used a few months ago. I've used it off and on and I was initially not thrilled with it, but not hugely hating it either. As I've used it more and more, I started liking it more and more. I would not sell the lens. It is a nice focal length, especially on a crop camera, like my 30D.

My copy does not seem to have the chromatic aberrations (CA) at wider apertures that others have complained of. On the other hand, unlike others, my copy doesn't seem to be very sharp at 1.8, but by f/2.5 - 2.8 it is very nice. I don't shoot often at 1.8, so no big deal. My copy also seems to hunt in low light, especially below f/4... maybe it needs a calibration and that is why it was put on consignment at my local shop.

It took some time to get used to the longer minimum focal distance. It is a portrait lens, but coming from the 50mm/1.8, it was initially a bit of a turn off. Once I got used to it, however, the lens really began to grow on me.

It has a nice weight to it... feels very balanced on my 30D. Overall, I like it more and more every day and am looking forward to using it this spring when the flowers start blooming.

Feb 15, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add ajt36 to your Buddy List
cauchy

Registered: Jan 15, 2008
Review Date: Dec 12, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: image quality (very good even wide open), nice bokeh, good construction and feel, fast AF, price, USM
Cons:
some CAs wide open (was worse on the 40D, on the 5D Mark II it is not really an issue)

This is a fantastic lens. I really liked it on my 40D and I absolutely love it on the 5D Mark II. On the crop sensor it showed quite a bit of CAs up to around f/2.8 but on the fullframe it is not an issue. The EF 85 f/1.8 USM has an excellent image quality and a pleasant bokeh - which makes it a great portrait lens! It is quite sharp even wide open and the AF is fast and accurate.

I have never used the 85mm f/1.2L lenses (and I bet they are very good) but if f/1.8 is enough I bet you will be very happy with this lens! Especially for the relatively low price it is actually a no-brainer, get it if you have a Canon body!

Dec 12, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add cauchy to your Buddy List
Fr3d

Registered: Nov 28, 2008
Review Date: Nov 14, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Small, light, fast, cheap, sharp.
Cons:
Need to buy hood extra. Some CA wide open.

I'm using this lens on a 5DII ... it is alot of fun to play with the shallow depth of field. I usualy stop down to f2 for sharpness but f1.8 too isn't bad at all. It's a lot of lens for the money. Highly recommended!

Nov 14, 2009