311 486584 Mar 4, 2014

A highly practical medium telephoto lens with superb delineation and portability. Images are sharp and clear at all apertures. Through computer simulations, the lens has been designed to give beautiful background blur. Since the front lens group does not rotate during focusing special filter effects are not affected.

kel3at

Registered: Jul 9, 2004
Review Date: Feb 10, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $380.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Do not buy this lens. Why? Because after you buy this lens you will never be satified with your cheap inexpensive lenses any more. You will have to go out and replace them with new L-glass in other focal lengths to match up to your 85 1.8. It's a Canon conspiracy. Don't tell me I didn't warn you.
Cons:
Way too good image quality, unless you're one of those people who actually likes sharp, constrasty and excellent color images with lots of creamy bokeh.

Feb 10, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add kel3at to your Buddy List
judhi

Registered: Feb 9, 2005
Review Date: Feb 9, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharp, budget friendly
Cons:
Crop too tight for DSLR with APS-C sensor size. Minimum distance of 85cm is too far.

Just as the 50mm f/1.8 this lens provide you great sharpness at longer focal length.

Composition might be too tight for DSLR with 1.6x cropping factor (APS-C) and the minimum distance on 85mm is too far for most macro photography situation.

Recommended for SLR user but not DSLR with APS-C size sensor.

Feb 9, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add judhi to your Buddy List
jmardy

Registered: Dec 9, 2004
Review Date: Feb 4, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $330.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Amazingly sharp, superfast AF, great bulild quality, beautiful background blur, inexpensive, FAST.
Cons:

All the hype is true. Every time I use this lens I'm impressed by how good the images look. Wish I'd bought it a long time ago.

Feb 4, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jmardy to your Buddy List
adnan76

Registered: Feb 3, 2005
Review Date: Feb 3, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Great optics, silent focus, smoooooth out-of-focus areas
Cons:
Longish minimum focus distance (standard for this focal length?)

Don't have any complaints about this lens. I was considering the f1.2L, but I'm glad I saved my money. The dof at f1.8 is a substantial challenge if you like to work close up... I have no idea how I would handle f1.2.

This is the first time I've had a lens this long, I mostly like wide angle, but its got lots of advantages. I have the 35/1.4L. I bought that lens so I would have an easier time blurring out the background compared to the f2, but its nothing like this. Outdoor photos of family and friends come out beautifully, with excellent OOF areas. Buy this lens and your family may soon try to avoid due to the amount of time you want them to spend in front of this lens. Its a gem.

Feb 3, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add adnan76 to your Buddy List
DEvianT

Registered: Jan 2, 2005
Review Date: Feb 2, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp and great contrast Fast focus Compact Fast wide open
Cons:
No lens hood included Not weather sealed Not designed for digital so can give chromatic aberration sometimes

This lens is superb for reportage and portraits on a crop DSLR like a 10D. It's fast and silent. Small enough to be descrete. The image quality is superb, sharp with good colour and contrast.

I think this lens is one of Canon's little gems. Could well be an L lens but the price is very good. I think it's a must have in your camera bag.

Feb 2, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add DEvianT to your Buddy List
teglis

Registered: Aug 31, 2004
Review Date: Jan 26, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, useful focal length, aperture, focus speed
Cons:
To nit pick: separate hood and the way the hood attaches

Probably my favourite lens; certainly my favourite prime.

On a 1.6x factor DSLR, I find it the ideal focal length for individual portraits and candids. Quiet, fast focusing and not too large, it is very unobtrusive (not only to my subjects, but also to me). It just works.

Produces consistently sharp images with good bokeh. I love the perspective it gives.

One tiny downside has to be the hood. You must purchase it separately and it is clumsy to attach.

Otherwise, an outstanding lens.

Jan 26, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add teglis to your Buddy List
mdwhaley

Registered: Oct 17, 2002
Review Date: Jan 22, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $360.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Superior image quality. AF speed
Cons:
minimum focus distance (nit picking)

I wish all of my lenses were like this one! It is a joy to use. I'm even happier when I get the images on the computer. Fantastic image quality. Great color, contrast, and sharpness. The images have that extra punch since it is a little longer of a focal length (136 on a 10d). I usually don't shoot this or any lens wider than 2.8. It can do it, I just don't think there is enough depth of field for people shooting wider than 2.8. The biggest negative of this lens is that you will want more prime lenses after using this one.

Jan 22, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mdwhaley to your Buddy List
shlomi

Registered: Oct 11, 2004
Location: Israel
Review Date: Jan 21, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $320.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Great colors and bokeh, sharp, light, small, cheap
Cons:
Not as sharp as the f/1.2 version, long minimal focusing distance

This might be the best non-L prime. I find it much better than the 35/2 and 50/1.4. The colors are perfect. The bokeh is the best I've seen on an under $1000 lens. Contrast is excellent. Sharpness is very good but when you see the results of the 1.2 verion you realize there is a reason for the price difference. I mostly stop it to 2.8 but I can't say the sharpness is perfect - still better than any zoom I know. The USM is excellent - very fast, quiet and accurate, no hunting.

The balance on the camera is excellent. Build quality is evry good - feels solid; I dropped it once on concrete and nothing happened. This lens gives tremendous value for money. If you intend to shoot portraits and don't want to spend $1400 for the 1.2, this is an almost perfect lens.

One shortcoming is the not so small minimal focusing distace. This lens is not very useful for product and macro shooting.

Jan 21, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add shlomi to your Buddy List
cladnin

Registered: Sep 8, 2004
Review Date: Jan 20, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $275.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Light, F1.8, Cheap, Fast focusing
Cons:
Not super pleasant bokeh in my opinion, clip on hood doesn't fit great.

Great lens for the money. Super fast, quiet focusing.

Jan 20, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add cladnin to your Buddy List
EmaJon

Registered: Jan 10, 2005
Review Date: Jan 14, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp (ouch cut meeself), good bokeh, nice balance and construction, fast AF, common 58mm filter size.
Cons:
CA, a little soft wide open

Aside from the above pos aspects, this is nice glass. Its quiet USM can be used in many a sensitive areas, has good contrast range and was nicely priced for what has become a fav of mine, eventhough I have L glass. (its not as heavy as these lenses)

However, on a Dig SLR with a cropping factor, this lens displays CA wide open, though this is quite easily overcome (longer and slightly wider lens hood, polariser - where highly reflective subjects exist, ND filter and of course PS, if the others fail).

If you aint got one, cant afford or justify the L version or the 180, then get this..... and laff ur hed off.

Jan 14, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add EmaJon to your Buddy List
moondigger

Registered: Jan 6, 2005
Review Date: Jan 13, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $250.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, contrasty, good bokeh, fast USM focusing, full time manual focus capability
Cons:

I got a well-used copy for $250. Sharpness is good at f/1.8, and excellent at f/2.8 and above. If it fell off a cliff today I'd buy a brand new one tomorrow.

Jan 13, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add moondigger to your Buddy List
Fer1

Registered: Jan 3, 2005
Review Date: Jan 3, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp from 2.8, ultra sharp from 4.0. Fast focusing. Well built. No CA to speak of. No distortion. Quite small and light. Ring USM with full-time-manual correction.
Cons:
Quite soft at f/2 (but still very useable), occasional front-focus on my 10D (only in low-light and at short distances; and even then, only in a small percentage of the shots).

An excellent lens. I use it for rock concert shots, so it has to be sharp at least from 2.8, and has to work reliably with low light levels. Has to focus fast, too (subjects move fast).
This lens does it all, and then some! I'm very pleased.
Other good things: it's small and light, so you don't get tired after 2-3 hours of shooting and the camera+lens doesn't get in the way while shooting in crowded places.
Has a very nice bokeh, excellent for portraits.

It's a bit soft up to f/2.8, but still very useable with some USM. From f/2.8 is sharp, and from f/4 is very sharp.

Jan 3, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Fer1 to your Buddy List
trsqr

Registered: Dec 24, 2002
Review Date: Dec 30, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $380.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp when stopped down a little bit, usable wide open, wide max aperture, good focal length for portraits when on a non FF DSLR, fast and silent auto-focus, solid construction, 58mm filter size common with many other lenses.
Cons:
None I can think of

I once owned a EF 100/2.0 lens, which I sold about a year ago. I later had regrets of doing so, and since 85/1.8 is very much alike the 100/2, I bought that. Already listed the pros, this is a great lens. If all the Canon non-L primes were as good as this, I sure would have more of them...

Dec 30, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add trsqr to your Buddy List
howiemudge

Registered: Nov 29, 2004
Review Date: Dec 3, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: What can I say about this wonderful portrait lens. Excellent detail, wonderful bokeh and sharp as a razor. Outstanding value.
Cons:
None that I can think of :)

Dec 3, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add howiemudge to your Buddy List
brn68

Registered: Sep 17, 2004
Location: Austria
Review Date: Nov 27, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast!! Sturdily built, compact; really a nice one. Quite fast USM. Cheap.
Cons:
Not optimized for digital fotography

Well, this one is not so easy to comment on. I should admit that I bought this lens because the many positive reviews on this forum made me curious. I love to shoot at available light and I also like to shoot with very narrow depth of field, so this lens should be pefectly suitable for my purposes. I bought this lens in mint condition on eBay. I also want to state that I buy a lens for using it to capture images. I'm not the guy who shoots resolution charts or color checkers, though I'm glad other people do so :-)
When I unpacked the little fellow I was quite surprised how weighty it was. They really stuffed this one with glass. I never had a lens this fast, so I was struck by the size of the rear lens. The build quality is very solid for the price, too.
The focussing behavior is very good. The lens focusses quickly and accurately (well, when you shoot with a 10d, the reason for missed focus points is rarely the lens)

Now for the dark side of this pal. If you go for portraits, nature, graffiti and the like, this lens will suit you fine. If you're after chrome-polished Harleys, jewelery or other highly reflective items, save your money. This lens was put to the market twelve years ago, it is certainly not built for digital photography. If you shoot wide open, you can get moderate to severe purple fringing and other bad surprises. The bokeh is really nice, but if you have highly contrasted elements in the background, they won't get blurred evenly, but might get some greenish halo. I don't know if this can be improved by stopping the lens down, I'll check that out. Anyway, I want to use the lense wide open, so I'll have to avoid extreme highlights.

All in all this is a great value for money lens but it has its weak points. Sharpness and color rendition are excellent, it's surely a bargain; but it's not an 'L'
Keep it up, Bernhard Peball

*update*
After two weeks of walking around with this lens, I have to give it a 5/5. The lens still has it's weak points, but I am simply stunned by the look of all the images I got with it.

Nov 27, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add brn68 to your Buddy List
traveler

Registered: Jan 8, 2002
Review Date: Nov 8, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $329.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Super Fast Autofocus Nice Build Great Background Blur (Bokeh)
Cons:
Hood is extra cost

After all I had read about this lens for portrait work I just had to try one. I've found it to provide extraordinary bokeh and is lightning fast to autofocus when asked. I like the build as it's not cheap and doesn't feel plasticky like say the 50mm 1.4 does. I've not witnessed any of the bad habits (CA wide open) that I saw reported by a few. The color and contrast out of this lens often needs none or next to no post processing. That is a real treat for me. When I shoot with it wide open I can get a shot that for many clients has been preferred due to it NOT being TOO overly sharp and enhance any facial defects they might have. It's become my "go to" lens for portraits thats for sure.

Nov 8, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add traveler to your Buddy List

311 486584 Mar 4, 2014