311 486653 Mar 4, 2014

A highly practical medium telephoto lens with superb delineation and portability. Images are sharp and clear at all apertures. Through computer simulations, the lens has been designed to give beautiful background blur. Since the front lens group does not rotate during focusing special filter effects are not affected.

Gorham

Registered: Jun 1, 2002
Review Date: May 18, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Best images of any lens I have. Clear, sharp, neutral color. Good mount. Nice weight. Good, solid workhorse. USM is quiet and fast.
Cons:
None. I tried, really but couldn't come up with any cons.

I wish every lens I have were this pleasing. I consider it one of my pro lenses and thank Canon oh so much for not pricing it that way. This one along with the 50/1.8 (I) are my main primes with any camera and I try to fit them in my kit whenever I'm not sure what circumstances will befall me on a shoot.

Guess you might say this is one of the lenses I'd choose if I were stranded on an island with my camera and only one or two lenses. Smile

May 18, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Gorham to your Buddy List
Kancy

Registered: Apr 22, 2005
Review Date: May 9, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros:
Cons:

May 9, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Kancy to your Buddy List
Another Stefan

Registered: May 3, 2005
Review Date: May 8, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharp, Small, fast AF, good build, light, cheap
Cons:
the hood is a bit anoying to put on, closest focusing distance could be shorter (but than again it's a tele)

This is the first lens I bought along with my 20D and it's great, especially for portraits. But also for wildlife and theather in low light conditions. Highly recommanded for the quality and the price

May 8, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Another Stefan to your Buddy List
IraGraham

Registered: Oct 30, 2004
Review Date: Apr 27, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Great lens on a 10D or 20D. Sharp as hell, fast,quite auto focus. Great for portraits. Awesome background blur. This lens is "L" quality for sure.
Cons:

This lens is almost as sharp as the Canon 135mm 2.0. You just can't beat this lens for portraits on a 1.6x chip. You can really seperate your subject from your background. Just a wonderful lens you cannot ask for more!!! Buy it today!

Apr 27, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add IraGraham to your Buddy List
fStopJojo

Registered: Jun 4, 2004
Review Date: Apr 26, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $330.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: A cracking lens, period.

Only lens I've ever rated a 10 overall. [www.pbase.com/fstopjojo/lenstests]

Apr 26, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add fStopJojo to your Buddy List
Canis

Registered: Apr 19, 2005
Review Date: Apr 19, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Very Sharp, very cheap, very fast focus.
Cons:

This has to be Canon's best ever value in a lens. I love it, razor sharp, fast response, excellent build quality. At twice the price it would still be very good value.

Apr 19, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Canis to your Buddy List
godfreyz

Registered: Feb 3, 2005
Review Date: Apr 7, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast focus, excellent, sharp lens.
Cons:

Very sharp lens. Met all my expectations. One of my best lens.

Apr 7, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add godfreyz to your Buddy List
dhphoto

Registered: Feb 15, 2003
Review Date: Apr 4, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent lens, one of the best I own
Cons:
None at all

In a previous life I owned the FD series 85 1.8 and it paid my wages by shooting concerts. Those days are long gone but it's replacement, the EF 85 1.8 is probably even better. It's one of the sharpest lenses I own (mainly L lenses) and has THE best contrast.

I really love the thick focusing ring and the build quality. It is the equivalent of a 135 f1.8 on my 20D - brilliantly fast.

Excellent lens, excellent value, hard to fault in any way

Apr 4, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews View gallery Add dhphoto to your Buddy List
normski

Registered: Oct 24, 2004
Review Date: Apr 1, 2005 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: well built - feels like an L. behaves like an L. wide open it's fast with sharp images, it has quick accurate autofocus, and it's ridiculously cheap.
Cons:
some obvious purple finging wide open in strong backlight (it's not alone in this).

this lens is good - really good. IMO it's canon's best value lens. i have several L's and i would suggest the 85mm f1.8 deserves the red stripe. It's obviously not as "amazing" as the f1.2 (from what i've seen of that lens it is truly fantastic - and if you've got the dosh go for it) but the f1.8 is 4 times cheaper! if this lens cost twice as much as it does it would still be good value and i would still buy it. i don't think you'll be disappointed. it's impressively sharp wide open and the colour is also very acceptable - almost L. (in comparison, the much vaunted 50mm f1.4 feels cheap and nasty and is no big deal wide open. get the 50mm f1.8 instead - it has no pretentions).

Apr 1, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add normski to your Buddy List
normski

Registered: Oct 24, 2004
Review Date: Apr 1, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: end results are quite superb and as an added bonus the build quality is very good and when you take the price into account it's almost a gift.
Cons:
some purple fringing wide open against strong backlight (and this lens is not alone in that)

let's not beat about the bush here. this has got to be canon's best value lens: think about it - the quality of its build with a proper USM ring motor with full time MF and an autofocus that snaps into action. It's fast, it has stunning definition and very acceptable colour - not quite L colour but pretty close. ok so there's obvious purple fringing wide open in strong backlight (this lens is not alone in that) but otherwise i've noticed no gremlins. the f1.2 version according to all accounts is superior because it's 1 stop faster and the bokeh blows you away, and yes if you've got the cash go for it but remember it costs 4 times as much (which is always the case when seeking the holy grail!). bottom line - if canon charged twice as much for this f1.8 lens it would still be a bargain.
p.s. the 50mm f1.4 (which is supposed to be another fab non-L lens) feels really cheap and nasty in comparison. IMO stick with the 50mm f1.8 - it has no pretensions.

Apr 1, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add normski to your Buddy List
d10d

Registered: Nov 29, 2004
Review Date: Mar 25, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast and sharp even in very low-light conditions!... 'comforatable' to use.
Cons:

I recently got this lens and... WOW! Last night I had a chance to use it in a very dark club on my 20D @ ISO 3200, no flash... after checking my images this morning I was blown away!... I did not think it was possible to get clean shots in such an environment! The AF was bang on and the images (though grainy) caught a fair bit of detail. I am thoroughly impressed!

Highly recommended!

Mar 25, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add d10d to your Buddy List
vince

Registered: Mar 18, 2002
Review Date: Mar 21, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Blistering fast AF, excellent optics, well built and sturdy.
Cons:

First off, I don't own this lens any more, but use it quite often from our common "lens pool". Any time I get sick and tired of using heavy or slow zooms, and need a reminder on just how excellent canon's optics can be, I put this fellow on my SLR and shoot. No more dark tunnel vision thanks to f/1.8, no more slow focusing and no more misfocused shots.

Every single one of the images I have shot with this lens have been flawless in terms of optical quality. This lens is wonderful with a 25mm extension tube... great macro performance. No, it is not as good as the 100/2.8 macro USM which I also have (that lens produces corner to corner sharpness at 1:1 magnification, not something most other lenses can do). But, it is as good as other lenses can get.

The AF is so fast that I've never had the opportunity to miss a shot due to slow response. In all, there's not a single bad thing I can think of about this lens. It's superb.

Mar 21, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add vince to your Buddy List
PaulMdx

Registered: Mar 20, 2005
Review Date: Mar 20, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $340.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: VERY sharp, and practically L quality. Good lens to use along with a 50/1.8 for indoor sports and portraits.
Cons:

I've had this lens for about a year and use in a lot for shooting indoor sports. The aperture is very handy when I'm shooing in dark conditions, and produces stunning results for portraiture with excellent bokeh.

For all intents and purposes this may as well have a red L band. It really is incredibly sharp, and probably better than my 70-200/2.8L. In fact, an example shot from the Canon 1Ds mkII on Canon.co.jp used this lens - and that's to show off Canon's flagship camera.

As well as my own review, I've heard a number of other professional photographers using this lens for indoor sports. It really does kick ass.

I was actually considering buying a 85/1.2L instead of this, but having checked out the reviews on this site, the lens seems much too slow and soft for sports. I'm not a bit disappointed with this vs. the 1.2L.

Mar 20, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add PaulMdx to your Buddy List
zonkola

Registered: Feb 9, 2005
Review Date: Mar 9, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $275.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: A great portrait lens, excellent value for money.
Cons:
It doesn't have a red stripe?

This is a great portrait lens. The build quality is excellent for the price range, the USM is nice, and the pictures it takes are more than sharp enough for portrait photography. For better or for worse, every eyelash and pore is crisply defined. (Thank god for Photoshop.)

I'm keeping mine.

Mar 9, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add zonkola to your Buddy List
inov8iv

Registered: Dec 8, 2004
Review Date: Feb 15, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $295.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, contrasty, very good bokeh, fast USM focusing, full time manual focus capability!
Cons:
None - except this lens makes you expect better results out of your other non "L" Lenses.

I absolutely love this lens, I use it for Baseball Batting shots and it is one remarkable lens for that sole purpose, I have also used it to capture pitching sequences, 14 shots on 1 pitch extremely fast.

Quality equivelent to "L" Glass for a fraction of the cost. Just wish canon would make all their lenses this good. Would not need to pay the extra $$$ for "L" Series Glass.

Feb 15, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add inov8iv to your Buddy List
kel3at

Registered: Jul 9, 2004
Review Date: Feb 10, 2005 Recommend? | Price paid: $380.00

Pros: Sharp, silent AF, Fast, light weight, nice build
Cons:
addictive

Do not buy this lens. Once you use this lens you will never be satified with your other cheap inexpensive lenses anymore. You will have to replace them with all new L-glass to get the image quality of this gem. It's a Canon conspiracy I tell ya. It's an L lens disguised as a lowly plastic USM. Don't be fooled by the low price.

You're going to buy it anyway ain't ya? Well don't tell me I didn't warn ya!

Feb 10, 2005