311 487122 Mar 4, 2014

A highly practical medium telephoto lens with superb delineation and portability. Images are sharp and clear at all apertures. Through computer simulations, the lens has been designed to give beautiful background blur. Since the front lens group does not rotate during focusing special filter effects are not affected.

amsdesign

Registered: Sep 22, 2005
Review Date: Sep 22, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $375.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Very sharp, awesome bokeh, weight, build.
Cons:

Wonderful lens, sharp at all aperatures above 2.0, great color and background blur. This lens feels so great, it is sturdy, fast, and quiet, and so cheap! I would definately feel comfortable paying 500 for this lens, all it needs is a red stripe around the front.

Definately pick up this beautifuol lens if you want a medium telephoto for a great price. This lens on a 1.6x sensor is about 135mm, which is really nice for street photography or portraits where you want alot of background blur.

Sep 22, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add amsdesign to your Buddy List
Dean Treml

Registered: Aug 9, 2004
Review Date: Sep 6, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, fast aperture, great af.
Cons:
Not much springs to mind...

A terrific piece of glass, I'm often looking for an excuse to use it. Very sharp throughout aperture range. Great for portraits obviously, good for indoor sports, and generally useful. For the money it's a lens well worth considering even if you have a zoom in this range.

Sep 6, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Dean Treml to your Buddy List
Teppo

Registered: Apr 10, 2003
Review Date: Aug 25, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast aperture, excellent picture quality, good build, fast focus
Cons:
None for the price

This was my first prime lens. I used it extensively at concerts, and for some available-light portraits, among other things. Overall it's a fantastic lens, a real keeper, especially for the price. Focuses VERY fast, and takes excellent and sharp pictures even at full aperture. Build is very solid, even though it's not an L lens. I just wish my 50mm was built this well.

Aug 25, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Teppo to your Buddy List
sandisk

Registered: Jul 16, 2005
Review Date: Aug 22, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: sharp, fast focusing, light, everything you can expect at this price

Aug 22, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add sandisk to your Buddy List
JL77

Registered: Dec 20, 2004
Review Date: Aug 10, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, fast lens, usm AF, great colors, contrast, great for portraits.
Cons:
some serious CA wide open against backlight.

One of my favorites lens. Great for portraits.

Aug 10, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add JL77 to your Buddy List
troutmask

Registered: Sep 22, 2004
Review Date: Aug 10, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Great lens, great price, best all round value for a Canon lens
Cons:
Nothing at this price

For portraits, street, stage etc. this is hard to beat unless you are prepared to spend serious money.

Aug 10, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add troutmask to your Buddy List
MARTHIN

Registered: Apr 18, 2005
Location: Brazil
Review Date: Aug 9, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Ultra sharp, Fast focusing. Well built. No distortion. Very very good lenses

Aug 9, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add MARTHIN to your Buddy List
hcoo

Registered: May 11, 2005
Review Date: Jul 20, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $393.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Smooth; 1.8; solid built
Cons:
LOng...

Great for low light! I love to bring this lense during concerts;

Jul 20, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add hcoo to your Buddy List
afred

Registered: Mar 19, 2005
Review Date: Jun 25, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $330.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: F/1.8, fast and quiet focus.
Cons:
Soft at 1.8.

The 85mm f/1.8 would have to be one of my favored lenses. The focal length makes for great portraits on a 1.6x body. My lens is a bit soft at 1.8, but stopping down to 2.5 or 2.8 and this thing is like a tack. I use this lens indoors and outdoors, as the aperture is wide enough to let all that light suck right in. The autofocus on this lens works great. IT'S SILENT TOO! As far as i can tell anyway. Great lens, like the manual focus ring. One can't have canon gear without the 85mm f/1.8 somewhere in their collection.

Jun 25, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add afred to your Buddy List
jazzy17

Registered: Apr 3, 2005
Review Date: Jun 21, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Good build, price compared to 85L, focus speed, size, bokeh.
Cons:
Not a single thing :-)

I test both the 85 f1.8 and the 85L on my 20D and the 85 f1.8 won as far as I am concerned.

I mainly use this lens for low light music and dance gigs, never really missed the wider aperture on the L. The f1.8 wins over the L in terms of speed to focus, value for money. In fact, I found that the 85L was only better in terms of out of the camera, contrast and colours. Not worth the extra $$ in my opinion.

I would class myself as an photographer who only had amateur ambitions but now moonlight and make some money from photography (semi-pro?). I would strongly urge anyone who is not a serious pro to consider this lens instead of the 85L. The f1.8 is a fantastic lens usable at all apertures, great focus speed, bokeh and easy to use.

Jun 21, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jazzy17 to your Buddy List
gwhitegeog

Registered: Jun 16, 2005
Review Date: Jun 16, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Very sharp, excellent full aperture performance. Excellent optic surfaces and finish. Generally good build quality, very fast focussing and FTM; reasonable price for a fast prime lens: becomes an equivalent jaw-dropping 135mm f1.8 on an EOS 10D/20D/300D etc...!
Cons:
Slightly wobbly front element (hence only 9 for build quality), Otherwise, nothing

This has been on my EOS 10D a lot and makes a great portrait lens or medium telephoto. One of Canon's best lenses. Very low CA when used with a digital camera - a good choice for an APS sensor sized digital camera

Jun 16, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add gwhitegeog to your Buddy List
drfrank

Registered: Apr 2, 2004
Review Date: Jun 11, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $330.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very Sharp, Fast, cost
Cons:

I rate this lens right up there with my 70-200 FL4 and my 100mm 2.8 Macro for quality and sharpness. It has become one of my favorite lenses. The best low cost lens from Canon. A must have.

Jun 11, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add drfrank to your Buddy List
smpetty

Registered: Feb 20, 2005
Review Date: Jun 7, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Price, sharpness, color, contrast and bokeh to die for. On 1.6 and 1.3 crop cameras, it's the perfect lens for portraits. Best bang for the buck in the Canon lens line.
Cons:

I have most of the Canon L lenses, and strongly believe that in terms of camera lenses, you usually get what you pay for. There are several exceptions to this rule in the Canon lens line. Notably the 50mm f/1.4, the 100mm f/2, the 15mm f/2.8 fisheye, and most of all the 85mm f/1.8 are great buys and in many or all ways equal to the L lenses.

To make a potentially long review short, out of all of my lenses, I'd rank the 85 f/1.8 better than most and just below the 135 f/2 and the 500 f/4 IS. For what I paid, it's got BY FAR the best bang for the buck of all of my lenses.

Buy one and you won't be dissappointed!

Jun 7, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add smpetty to your Buddy List
M-E-P

Registered: Jun 6, 2005

Pros: fantastic wide open. great bokeh, sharp, very sharp. Price is right!
Cons:
none I can think of....

:This is A GREAT Lens! Iborrowed this from afriend of mine and will be buying one soon (after I recover from my 70-200 2.8 L purchase) I have an all dog (lab mix) and I shot about 20 exp of him in a dim lit room at 1.8 and I can not believe the detail this lens pulled. The fur detail was amazing opposed to the usual black blob i get when I shoot him. This lens is well worth the price, and will have a happy home in my bag soon!

Jun 7, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add M-E-P to your Buddy List
Kancy

Registered: Apr 22, 2005
Review Date: May 22, 2005 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Large aperture, sharp wide open and get sharper when stop down, Good color and bokeh, USM which is very silent, FTM
Cons:
Front element is large so a lens protect is required, No hood is included, A bit heavy when compared with the 50mm f1.8

Before I buy this lens, the 50mm f1.8 II is my main lens for portraits. However, I don't satisfied with it for its color and bokeh.

Then I buy the 85mm f1.8 USM. The first feeling is heavy but the build is good. The color and bokeh is great and can satisfied me. It is a partner with the 50mm f1.8 II for my portrait works. High price/performance ratio!

One of the negative aspects of the this lens is about its accessories. I need to spend extra $$ for the lens hood and filter!

May 22, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Kancy to your Buddy List
SheepDog

Registered: May 7, 2005
Review Date: May 18, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: SHARP SHARP SHARP! Excellent color, excellent focusing motor, excellent value, excellent construction
Cons:
NONE (the first lens I cannot find any negative aspect of it)

Perhaps price is slightly too high as a "consumer" lens, but this one is definitely the closest to a L lens. In that sense, you are really getting a good deal. Resell value was unbelieveable. I got 95% of my money back after owning it for one full year.

Even at f/1.8 I was able to get some good shots in low light. It gets sharper and sharper as you stop down. Photos consistently come out great. I thought I would keep this lens for as long as photography remains as my hobby. But it became too long all of a sudden when I switched to a digital body. Nothing's wrong with a "136mm" lens, but my daily shooting don't go to that range. I had to get some cash for a L lens too, so this lens was sacrificed. You can't imagine how painful it was handing over my favorite lens to a buyer.

Anyways, words are cheap. Try this lens yourself. If you are not fully satisfied with its sharpness or any aspect of it.... I can't offer you a full money back guarantee, but you will end up paying few hundred bucks more (or even a grand more) for a L prime.

May 18, 2005