313 490188 Sep 26, 2014

A highly practical medium telephoto lens with superb delineation and portability. Images are sharp and clear at all apertures. Through computer simulations, the lens has been designed to give beautiful background blur. Since the front lens group does not rotate during focusing special filter effects are not affected.

Rob_rebel

Registered: Sep 6, 2005
Review Date: Oct 4, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $339.95 | Rating: 10

Pros: Tack sharp, Fast focusing, very pleasing bokeh, Not to heavy-but a strong build.
Cons:

I have researched this lens for about 4 month before purchasing it last month. I am really fussy, but L glass is not in the budget. It had incredible reviews, so I finally purchase this lens for taking picture of the kids. The first day I got it I headed out with my daughter to Botanical Garden in Northern IL...I could not be happier with the results. This lens not only met, but exceeded my expectations. For me $350 for a lens is still a lot, so L glass is out of the question. But I do not feel I am missing anything and feel very confident using it. I also have the 50mm 1.8 and was wondering about it being to close in focal length, but there is much more difference (1.6 crop factor) that I feel that they compliment each other nicely. Sharpness is my main criteria on a lens and this one did not disappoint at all. I find myself rarely even PostProcessing-Unsharp mark in Photoshop on any pics taken with the lens...incredible. It feels great while focusing and it seems instantaneous. When I first got it I purposely manually focused it as far out of focus as I could just to see how fast it could focus in...is was so fast and hit it dead on (both indoors and outdoors). If you are looking for something in this focal length, this lens

Oct 4, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Rob_rebel to your Buddy List
caveman_lee

Registered: Sep 12, 2005
Review Date: Sep 25, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Very sharp, relatively light weight, inexpensive (when compare with the "L" lenses), fast focus, F1.8
Cons:
slightly soft at F1.8 (but still rather sharp)

I worked with this lens for over 6 months. It is a very fast and sharp lens with rather good bokeh. Given the price, it is a very good lens for portrait and low light conditions. You need to go for those famous "L" primes (like the 85 F1.2L, 135 F2L and 200 F2.8L) to beat the sharpness of this lens.

Caveman

Sep 25, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add caveman_lee to your Buddy List
amsdesign

Registered: Sep 22, 2005
Review Date: Sep 22, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $375.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Very sharp, awesome bokeh, weight, build.
Cons:

Wonderful lens, sharp at all aperatures above 2.0, great color and background blur. This lens feels so great, it is sturdy, fast, and quiet, and so cheap! I would definately feel comfortable paying 500 for this lens, all it needs is a red stripe around the front.

Definately pick up this beautifuol lens if you want a medium telephoto for a great price. This lens on a 1.6x sensor is about 135mm, which is really nice for street photography or portraits where you want alot of background blur.

Sep 22, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add amsdesign to your Buddy List
Dean Treml

Registered: Aug 9, 2004
Review Date: Sep 6, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, fast aperture, great af.
Cons:
Not much springs to mind...

A terrific piece of glass, I'm often looking for an excuse to use it. Very sharp throughout aperture range. Great for portraits obviously, good for indoor sports, and generally useful. For the money it's a lens well worth considering even if you have a zoom in this range.

Sep 6, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Dean Treml to your Buddy List
Teppo

Registered: Apr 10, 2003
Review Date: Aug 25, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast aperture, excellent picture quality, good build, fast focus
Cons:
None for the price

This was my first prime lens. I used it extensively at concerts, and for some available-light portraits, among other things. Overall it's a fantastic lens, a real keeper, especially for the price. Focuses VERY fast, and takes excellent and sharp pictures even at full aperture. Build is very solid, even though it's not an L lens. I just wish my 50mm was built this well.

Aug 25, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Teppo to your Buddy List
sandisk

Registered: Jul 16, 2005
Review Date: Aug 22, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: sharp, fast focusing, light, everything you can expect at this price

Aug 22, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add sandisk to your Buddy List
JL77

Registered: Dec 20, 2004
Review Date: Aug 10, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, fast lens, usm AF, great colors, contrast, great for portraits.
Cons:
some serious CA wide open against backlight.

One of my favorites lens. Great for portraits.

Aug 10, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add JL77 to your Buddy List
troutmask

Registered: Sep 22, 2004
Review Date: Aug 10, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Great lens, great price, best all round value for a Canon lens
Cons:
Nothing at this price

For portraits, street, stage etc. this is hard to beat unless you are prepared to spend serious money.

Aug 10, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add troutmask to your Buddy List
MARTHIN

Registered: Apr 18, 2005
Location: Brazil
Review Date: Aug 9, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Ultra sharp, Fast focusing. Well built. No distortion. Very very good lenses

Aug 9, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add MARTHIN to your Buddy List
hcoo

Registered: May 11, 2005
Review Date: Jul 20, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $393.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Smooth; 1.8; solid built
Cons:
LOng...

Great for low light! I love to bring this lense during concerts;

Jul 20, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add hcoo to your Buddy List
afred

Registered: Mar 19, 2005
Review Date: Jun 25, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $330.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: F/1.8, fast and quiet focus.
Cons:
Soft at 1.8.

The 85mm f/1.8 would have to be one of my favored lenses. The focal length makes for great portraits on a 1.6x body. My lens is a bit soft at 1.8, but stopping down to 2.5 or 2.8 and this thing is like a tack. I use this lens indoors and outdoors, as the aperture is wide enough to let all that light suck right in. The autofocus on this lens works great. IT'S SILENT TOO! As far as i can tell anyway. Great lens, like the manual focus ring. One can't have canon gear without the 85mm f/1.8 somewhere in their collection.

Jun 25, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add afred to your Buddy List
jazzy17

Registered: Apr 3, 2005
Review Date: Jun 21, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Good build, price compared to 85L, focus speed, size, bokeh.
Cons:
Not a single thing :-)

I test both the 85 f1.8 and the 85L on my 20D and the 85 f1.8 won as far as I am concerned.

I mainly use this lens for low light music and dance gigs, never really missed the wider aperture on the L. The f1.8 wins over the L in terms of speed to focus, value for money. In fact, I found that the 85L was only better in terms of out of the camera, contrast and colours. Not worth the extra $$ in my opinion.

I would class myself as an photographer who only had amateur ambitions but now moonlight and make some money from photography (semi-pro?). I would strongly urge anyone who is not a serious pro to consider this lens instead of the 85L. The f1.8 is a fantastic lens usable at all apertures, great focus speed, bokeh and easy to use.

Jun 21, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jazzy17 to your Buddy List
gwhitegeog

Registered: Jun 16, 2005
Review Date: Jun 16, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Very sharp, excellent full aperture performance. Excellent optic surfaces and finish. Generally good build quality, very fast focussing and FTM; reasonable price for a fast prime lens: becomes an equivalent jaw-dropping 135mm f1.8 on an EOS 10D/20D/300D etc...!
Cons:
Slightly wobbly front element (hence only 9 for build quality), Otherwise, nothing

This has been on my EOS 10D a lot and makes a great portrait lens or medium telephoto. One of Canon's best lenses. Very low CA when used with a digital camera - a good choice for an APS sensor sized digital camera

Jun 16, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add gwhitegeog to your Buddy List
drfrank

Registered: Apr 2, 2004
Review Date: Jun 11, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $330.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very Sharp, Fast, cost
Cons:

I rate this lens right up there with my 70-200 FL4 and my 100mm 2.8 Macro for quality and sharpness. It has become one of my favorite lenses. The best low cost lens from Canon. A must have.

Jun 11, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add drfrank to your Buddy List
smpetty

Registered: Feb 20, 2005
Review Date: Jun 7, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Price, sharpness, color, contrast and bokeh to die for. On 1.6 and 1.3 crop cameras, it's the perfect lens for portraits. Best bang for the buck in the Canon lens line.
Cons:

I have most of the Canon L lenses, and strongly believe that in terms of camera lenses, you usually get what you pay for. There are several exceptions to this rule in the Canon lens line. Notably the 50mm f/1.4, the 100mm f/2, the 15mm f/2.8 fisheye, and most of all the 85mm f/1.8 are great buys and in many or all ways equal to the L lenses.

To make a potentially long review short, out of all of my lenses, I'd rank the 85 f/1.8 better than most and just below the 135 f/2 and the 500 f/4 IS. For what I paid, it's got BY FAR the best bang for the buck of all of my lenses.

Buy one and you won't be dissappointed!

Jun 7, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add smpetty to your Buddy List
M-E-P

Registered: Jun 6, 2005

Pros: fantastic wide open. great bokeh, sharp, very sharp. Price is right!
Cons:
none I can think of....

:This is A GREAT Lens! Iborrowed this from afriend of mine and will be buying one soon (after I recover from my 70-200 2.8 L purchase) I have an all dog (lab mix) and I shot about 20 exp of him in a dim lit room at 1.8 and I can not believe the detail this lens pulled. The fur detail was amazing opposed to the usual black blob i get when I shoot him. This lens is well worth the price, and will have a happy home in my bag soon!

Jun 7, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add M-E-P to your Buddy List

313 490188 Sep 26, 2014