Canon Speedlite 580EX II

56 159978 Dec 28, 2011
580exii

Further development of Canon's flagship Speedlite has led to the production of the 580 EX II. This is the premier Speedlite for all photographers, including professionals. Newly designed to match with the EOS-1D Mark III in terms of improved dust- and water-resistance, body strength, and the ability to control flash functions and settings from the camera menu (EOS-1D Mark III only). Other features include improved communication reliability through its direct contacts, and recycling time is both 20% shorter than the 580EX and is completely inaudible.

Approx. 20% faster recycling time compared to 580EX

Superior build quality, including a metal foot for higher rigidity

Max. Guide No. 58 at 105mm setting (GN 190, feet)

Auto conversion of flash coverage with compatible digital SLR cameras

White Balance info communicated instantly to compatible digital SLR cameras

Full swivel, 180 in either direction

AF-assist beam, compatible with all AiAF points on every EOS SLR

Dust- and water- resistance to match the EOS-1D Mark III

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4

philip-gowdy

Registered: Nov 16, 2004
Review Date: Jun 4, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Fantastic workhorse gun,great update to the 550ex. New charging rate is very fast mine is less than 3 seconds full power with 2700ma batts
Cons:

Just got my 580ex 2 from hongkong via ebay.
Here in England they are still not available,its a fantastic flash gun,with better colour than my 550ex however this one came with a chineeze manual,can anybody explain how I turn the sleep mode off.
please please help.
If anyone knows where the manual can be downloaded let me know. Thankyou so much in advance as I have a wedding on Saturday and the flash keeps turning off the quantum turbo pack.......

Jun 4, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add philip-gowdy to your Buddy List
stits

Registered: Jun 25, 2006
Review Date: Jun 2, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $499.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Best built Canon flash I've ever used. Actually starts to compete with Nikons mid range models in terms of wireless capabilities.
Cons:
Still needs infared, no side sensors on the body. Price simply isn't justified except for the weather sealing.

Pick one up a little while ago at stroblists recommendation and it's defiantly the only flash someone using a canon setup should consider from their manufacturer. The recycle time is impressive but it's still a few years behind nikon in terms of their mid range flashes that frankly do everything this one does except recycle as fast for a fraction of the price. Also I wish they would have included IR sensors on the sides for semi-indirect shooting and perhaps an ad-hoc mode for chain lighting and a more detailed custom function system.

hit me up with questions, stits.org

Jun 2, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add stits to your Buddy List
XAOC

Registered: May 29, 2007
Review Date: May 29, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Great quality, fast recycle time, long battery life.
Cons:

I decided to upgrade from 420EX and what a great decision. The exposure is great the recycle time is fast. I took around 500 photos and the batteries were still full. The metering system is great and I love that is weather sealed. Great product

May 29, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add XAOC to your Buddy List
Jerren

Registered: Oct 24, 2005
Review Date: May 29, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $499.99 | Rating: 10

Pros: solid battery door, the metal mounting plate, the mounting lock mechanism, super fast recycle (especially compared to sigma flash), and the lack of whine during recycle.
Cons:

I needed something that was a little more consistent than my 2nd hand Sigma EF-500 DG Super. Up until my most recent purchase, my flash photography was heavilly based on Spray and Pray. Some pictures would be Over exposed and some Under exposed. There was never any rhyme or reason for either extreme. So I finally decided to upgrade to the 580 EX. Well I couldn't find any one that had one in stock on any of the online stores or local stores. what I did find was a brand spankin ne 580 EX II. I quickly purchased it from a local store, set it on auto, tossed it on my Custom Bracket, and ran off to my first (main shooter) wedding.

Result:

This thing delivered. I was amazed at how consistent it was. It seemed like it was made to be fitted with the 5D. Every picture I took with it, the exposure was dead on accurate. The colors were beautiful and the picture was bright. Every group photo picture was awesome and well exposed. At first, I was like most and said I couldn't see myself paying $500 for this flash. But after the results, It may have been most impactful purchase that I've made since purchasing my 5D.

I'm not familiar with the 580 EX I, but a few things that stood out to me about this flash is the solid battery door, the metal mounting plate, the mounting lock mechanism, super fast recycle (especially compared to sigma flash), and the lack of whine during recycle.

As usual not the most technical review, but a real life hands on, tried and tested reveiw. And I'm a happy customer.

May 29, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Jerren to your Buddy List
AngusM

Registered: Feb 13, 2007
Review Date: May 28, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent build quality. Dust and weather sealing. PC socket.
Cons:
Same custom functions as the 580EX but in a different order. No 2nd curtain sync function when used to remotely trigger slave flashes. The Compact battery pack CP-E4 not released at the same time as the speedlight.

The 580EX II is certainly a superior build to my 580EX. The more solid battery compartment door, weather sealing, metal hot-shoe, PC terminal and improved on/off switch are vast improvements on the previous unit.

Given the brief explanation it gets in the manual I am still trying to get my head around the flash's external metering and will be curious as to how it works in practical terms.

But overall a vast improvement on an great speedlight.

May 28, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add AngusM to your Buddy List
lspoden

Registered: Oct 2, 2004
Review Date: May 28, 2007 Recommend? no | Price paid: $471.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Quiet
Cons:
Wireless mode switch removed. Hot shoe mount doesn't secure as well as 580EX.

I have a 580EX and the 550EX. The 580EX II is very similar to the 580EX in size and weight. Two major things they changed were not for the better. The wireless mode switch is gone and you have to hold down a button on the flash for it to prompt you to change wireless mode. The new hot shoe mount is a sliding clamp. I cannot use this flash on my 1DS MKII because it does not mount securely and flashes intermittently. Apparently my 1DS shoe mount has a very slight bend in it. I never noticed it before, and the 550EX or my 580EX work fine on this same camera.

Unless you need the external metering or the flash sync features of this flash, stick with the 580EX.

May 28, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add lspoden to your Buddy List
Jonathan Wong

Registered: Apr 21, 2007
Review Date: May 20, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $450.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast recycling time, powerful, built quality.
Cons:

Imported mine from Hong Kong. Even including the P&P and had to pay import tax it was still considerably cheaper faster than getting it from within the UK.

Simply the best Canon flash money can buy.

Jon
www.thewrongun.com

May 20, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Jonathan Wong to your Buddy List
Tony Brooks

Registered: Nov 26, 2004
Review Date: May 18, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $499.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast & silent charging, metal foot & locking system, battery door. General build and quality feel.
Cons:
Catch-light panel (?)

I just got my 580EX MkII and have had a play with it.

I don't have the Mk I to compare with, but this is a big improvement on my old 420EX (which I'll keep as a slave).

I love the battery door, it doesn't feel as though it's going to break off in your fingers like the 420, and the quick-action system on the metal foot is just great. No more wriggling/shoving/twisting/pulling to get it on/off the camera.

It's really quick to cycle, and absolutely silent. Dog-shooters will love the fact that even dogs don't appear to hear it charge (at least mine don't!)

I have yet to play with the custom functions, and I think the catch-light panel/wide diffuser might be a bit of a gimmick, particularly as I use a Stofen.

Recommended, brethren.

May 18, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Tony Brooks to your Buddy List

Canon Speedlite 580EX II