Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM

121 343764 Mar 26, 2014
16-35II

The EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM is a high performance, water-resistant, and ultra wide-angle Canon L-series lens. It has been specifically designed for improved edge-to-edge image quality that will meet the strict requirements of professional and high-end amateur photographers. It features 3 high-precision aspherical lens elements, each of a different type: ground, replica and GMo for even better image quality than the original EF 16-35mm f/2.8L USM. The circular aperture produces a beautiful and natural background blur when shooting at wider apertures. Other features include internal focusing, a ring type USM (Ultra Sonic Monitor), and new AF algorithms for fast and quiet autofocusing.

Focal Length & Maximum Aperture: 16-35mm f/2.8

Diagonal Angle of View: 10810'-63

Filter Size: 82mm, P=0.75mm/1 filter

Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 3.5 in. x 4.4 in./ 88.5mm x 111.6mm

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8  next

JKhoo

Registered: May 19, 2003
Review Date: Jul 29, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,449.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Built. Optical quality.
Cons:

I did not think the difference would be so apparent compared to a 17-40 but it really is. Contrast and color is just lovely. Environmental portraits are a lot of fun with this beauty. Wide enough to suck in the surrounding and quick enough in low light. I like it!

Jul 29, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add JKhoo to your Buddy List
hahr

Registered: Sep 30, 2004
Review Date: Jul 25, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,479.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: this lens is corner-sharp at f/11 on my 1DsII -- something i wasn't expecting from an ultrawide zoom lens.
Cons:
the size takes some getting used to as it's the length of a 135L but the width (at the top) of an 85L.

Jul 25, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add hahr to your Buddy List
Zac Thomas

Registered: Jun 9, 2007
Review Date: Jul 19, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: An amazing lens in all respects
Cons:
Non as yet except that I am still waiting for the 60 cash back from Canon :-)

I must agree with all the positive comments posted in this forum to date.
It is indeed an amazing lens which produces sharp beautiful images attached to my 1D mark111
An expensive lens but in my experience without rival.

Jul 19, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Zac Thomas to your Buddy List
RCicala

Registered: Jan 8, 2005
Review Date: Jul 15, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,390.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Superb sharpness to the edges, low distortion, flare resistance is very good.
Cons:
None, within reason.

I've had the Mark I and it was a good lens in the center, weak outside of that. I'm one of those who adapted a Zeiss 21mm to get good edge sharpness on my full frame bodies, the Mark I 16-35 just didn't cut it.
The new version is a totally different beast - far sharper out from center, good sharpness to the edges. Not quite Zeiss 21 sharpness, but close and the Canon has less distortion, and, well, it zooms! This is an expensive lens that is worth every single dime. Finally a full frame wide zoom that's as good or better than anything else out there.

Jul 15, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add RCicala to your Buddy List
EveningSky

Registered: Feb 6, 2006
Review Date: Jul 13, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, excellent contrast, excellent colors
Cons:

I am very impressed with this lens. It appears to do what it is supposed to do, very well. It is opening up new possiblities for WA photography for me.

Jul 13, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add EveningSky to your Buddy List
Rob Webster

Registered: Jul 1, 2007
Review Date: Jul 8, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: A positive improvement in terms of edge definition, particularly wide open, over the original version. Contrast is superb and distortion is not worth mentioning. Very pleased with the copy I have.
Cons:
None really. Would like to see it lower in price.

Bought this lens new as I am a fan of wide angle photography.
Thought originally about getting the Canon 14mm, but decided
that the 16-35mm was more suited to my needs. Very pleased with the purchase and consider the les to be a keeper.

Jul 8, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Rob Webster to your Buddy List
Leo Somers

Registered: Jun 23, 2007
Review Date: Jun 23, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Superb image quality, beautiful bokeh, very well build.
Cons:

Congratulations Canon, you did it!! Finally this widezoom provides me the professional images I was hoping for. The 16-35 L II produces really superb images of exceptional quality, in every way: sharpness, color, contrast, everything is so great about this lens.
I sold my 17-40 L to get this lens. Yes, it is very expensive, but worth every penny. I was a little bit disappointed about the 17-40, because it wasn't really tack sharp. I even sent it to Canon to calibrate it. After that calibration it was much better, I really liked this lens, but yet I decided to go for the 16-35 II.
I use it on a 5D and the images are just outstanding, crispy clear, very sharp. Even at F2.8 this lens is amazing. The bokeh is so lovely. If you view the images on a 22" screen, be aware: sometimes you can't believe your eyes anymore Smile This lens is just fantastic!
The only minuspoint could be the 82mm filter size. I was using an expensive B&W 77mm slim circ. pol., which became useless, so I had to buy a 82.
For those who still hesitate to buy this lens I would say: wait no longer, but run to your supplier and buy this masterpiece. You won't regret your purchase, not even for a second.

Jun 23, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Leo Somers to your Buddy List
veroman

Registered: Aug 19, 2005
Review Date: Jun 22, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Edge-to-edge sharpness Low distortion Color and contrast Build
Cons:

This new 16-35mm is everything everyone says it is.

I had rented the original 16-35 f/2.8L for a couple of weeks or so in order to have a reference point. Aside from what I'd considered quite minor and expected edge distortion and softness, I thought the rented lens was pretty terrific. It had far less barrel distortion than I had anticipated or was expecting. Edge softness, though, was pretty apparent as was edge "stretching." Still, I liked that lens a lot and couldn't help but wonder in what ways the Mark II version could be an improvement.

Well, it's definitely an improvement and worth every one of the few extra dollars over the Mark I.

FYI: the Mark II was recently tested and compared to two all-time favorite wide angles (Olympus 18mm & Leica 19mm primes). The new Canon came out ahead in every respect, but particularly in the areas of edge distortion & edge softness. The review can be found at http://www.16-9.net/lens_tests/canon1635ii_a/c1635ii_a1.html

Jun 22, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add veroman to your Buddy List
nickminers

Registered: May 17, 2005
Review Date: Jun 17, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Full frame IQ, bokeh
Cons:

What Canon have achieved with this lens is nothing short of spectacular. To get a 16mm lens so sharp right to the edges of a full frame image (on an EOS 5D) with almost no CA is extremely impressive. Of course this comes at a high price but given how desirable this is it's worth every penny (or cent). The 82mm filter size may bother some but in my case I was replacing a Sigma wide angle lens with the same size so it's subjective. Possibly the ultimate wide-angle zoom.

Jun 17, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add nickminers to your Buddy List
nivenu

Registered: Jul 16, 2005
Review Date: Jun 6, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Super optics, very sharp, excellent contrast. Ive not noticed any flare. CA very slight at full aperture, but hardly noticeable. Highly recommend this fine lens.
Cons:
Usual 82mm filter size moan.

Jun 6, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add nivenu to your Buddy List
XAOC

Registered: May 29, 2007
Review Date: May 31, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Great sharpness, color and bokeh. Great built quality. Fast focus.
Cons:
Price and 82mm filter

This is my first high quality lens that I own and the photos I get with this lens are great. It is fast and the photos are sharp. I just don't like the filter size, everything else is great.

May 31, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add XAOC to your Buddy List
EyeBrock

Registered: Dec 3, 2005
Review Date: May 29, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Build, speed, bokeh, sharp, as well as the bloody good pictures I get from it.
Cons:
Price, price of filters, price of gas and Stella Artois,world peace.

Well, bit the bullet and shelled out my retro cheque on this very nice lens.
I got the 24-70 ten months ago (which I love dearly) and I toyed with the idea of buying a 5D to replace/add to my 20D. Change of plan.
I nearly bought the 17-40 but Ive got well used to 2.8 and my previous Tamron lens purchases have taught me that the cheaper option isnt the way for me. No disrespect to Tam owners but photography is all about personal choice. This lens is a porsche to Yamrons 17-35 2.8-4.

I choose Canon L lenses.

The 16-35 gives me the same kind of sharpness I get with the 24-70 at the real wide end. The 1.6 crop really was limiting me on the 24 end but 16 mm of ths lens makes a huge difference.
Great build quality (should be for $1840 Canadian!), and an easy transition from the 24-70.
Its about the same size and weight as the 24-105 but the 82mm filter size means I have to get another expensive cir pol and the Rodenstock UV filter cost more than my mates new Kodak point-and-shoot!
Great bokeh, fast, well built and sharp. What more could you want? Cheaper would have been nice!
No second guessing on this one. Great lens and my bag is complete. For now.

May 29, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add EyeBrock to your Buddy List
Film_Ruled

Registered: Oct 20, 2005
Review Date: May 23, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,450.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Much better than the old version, better sharpness overall, especially from 16-22mm. Fantastic flare control, even better than Nikon's 17-35 2.8.
Cons:
82mm front filter size, but that is what step up rings are for.

I think what has happened in the digital and internet age is that we now have a bunch of cat and bird photographers who work in the software development field by day and do lens tests by night. So it is no surprise that everyone seems to be an expert when they do not know squat about optical limitations. Any ultra-wide 2.8 zoom is going to have limits and this one is no exception. But....the performance is indeed exceptional, well worth the price in my line of work. I would have paid $1,800 for this lens. Canon is the world leader in the digital photography world and this lens is yet one more reason why. Nikon simply can't touch the great lineup that Canon has. All the anti-full frame hype is just that: Hype. In real world use, this optic is outstanding. The color saturation, contrast and sharpness are only second to primes in the same range.

May 23, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Film_Ruled to your Buddy List
D.K. Owens

Registered: May 6, 2007
Review Date: May 8, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,199.95 | Rating: 10

Pros: Used outdoors, the sharpness of the lens stands out. Colorful landscapes are a bonus background.
Cons:
None.....

This lens is a fantastic ultra-wide angle tool. I've been able to shoot everything with crystal clear clarity and precision. SO much has been said about the "dark-cornering," but at f/9 there's no visible fall-off. I purchased this lens, refurbished by canon and so far, I've taken several printable lansdscape shots.

I was reluctant to purchase this lens because several reviewers had posted comments about "dark cornering." Used indoors, there maybe some, however, with flash and beyond the f/2.8 aperture, this lens is truly worth having.

I surmise that with the EOS 1Ds Mark II, this lens has greater capabilities. Using it with a full frame camera should alleviate any trepidation on the part of a prospective buyer.

My suggestion: go ahead, get it if you can afford it. The results, with the right settings are sure to produce some gems.

May 8, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add D.K. Owens to your Buddy List
Harvison

Registered: Apr 26, 2005
Review Date: May 4, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,579.99 | Rating: 9

Pros: Constant wide aperture - A nice match for a full frame - Good color and contrast
Cons:
Slightly soft at corners wide open at 16mm.

I really like this lens overall. The soft issue mentioned above really isn't an issue, wide open is most often used in conjunction with a blurred background, so edge quality doesn't matter.

May 4, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Harvison to your Buddy List
Sam Edwards

Registered: Oct 31, 2006
Review Date: Apr 27, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: f2.8 16mm Awesome Quality
Cons:
Price!

A good copy of this lens is as good as a super-wide-angle zoom is going to get for full frame. The corners are practically as sharp as the center at f4! Chroma aberation is hugely reduced compared to previous efforts. Canon has finally done it. I would postpone purchase if possible until the price comes in line with usual discounts.

Apr 27, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Sam Edwards to your Buddy List

Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM