Canon EOS 1D Mark III

140 184013 Mar 27, 2014
1DmkIII

Canon's flagship EOS-1D Mark III is the most advanced EOS Digital SLR ever produced. It has a new 10.1 megapixel CMOS sensor (APS-H size) with Canon's EOS Integrated Cleaning System and a 3.0-inch LCD monitor with Canon's Live View technology. The 1D Mark III has a redesigned 100% viewfinder, a new 45-point AF system, and can shoot up to 10 fps continuously with a maximum burst of 110 shots. Dual "DIGIC III" Image Processors work in tandem to speed up every process while refining image quality; a new, lighter body has improved weather sealing and shutter durability. Every facet of the EOS experience has been enhanced with the 1D Mark III. It's the new standard.

- Entirely new 10.1 Megapixel Canon CMOS Sensor (APS-H size, 1.3x lens conversion factor), featuring the EOS Integrated Cleaning System

- World's fastest digital SLR: shooting up to 10 fps, with a burst rate up to 110 full-resolution JPEG images or 30 RAW images
- All new high-precision AF system with 19 user-selectable AF points and 26 additional "assist points"; superior low-light performance and faster operation

- New lighter body with enhanced weather resistance and outstanding reliability: featuring a shutter that's durability-tested to 300,000 exposures

- Dual "DIGIC III" Image Processors work with new CMOS sensors to produce superb image quality; new Highlight Tone Priority option adds control of bright highlights

- Large 3.0-inch LCD monitor, featuring Live View function

- Fully compatible with over 50 EF lenses and a wide range of EOS System accessories

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9

mdurisseau

Registered: Nov 9, 2005
Review Date: Jun 23, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $4,600.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Excellent ISO range, at least 3 stops better than a 1D, and very low noise, even compared to my 20D. 10fps, lighter, stronger, long battery life (more than 1,800 frames on the initial charge June 1), easier-to-use controls and menus.
Cons:
None yet, but I will update this as time goes by...I have less than 2K frames shot on mine. The batteries in the new camera are NOT compatible with the previous 1D series cameras. Now I have to carry two types in my pack.

This is one of the best tools, depending on your type of photography, bar none. If photojournalism/sports is what your primary work is, this is definitely the tool for you. If you predominantly shoot portraiture, this may not be the tool for you.

The build quality is solid, but there is an issue with the cover for the WFT-2A being lost. Just make sure it stays tight.

The menus are MUCH easier to use...not so much of the two-finger controls that the previous 1D bodies required, but some of the menus work backwards from those cameras as well. For example, the erase function requires the control dial to be turned left on the Mark III, but right on the previous cameras.

The 'silent' shutter feature is nice, but it does preclude using the multiple-frame capabilities of the camera.

The ISO button on the top right deck is wonderful, another one of those 'two-finger' items from the previous cameras that is now gone. The viewfinder displays the ISO now, too.

Jun 23, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add mdurisseau to your Buddy List
jmaio

Registered: Feb 26, 2005
Review Date: Jun 18, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $4,499.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: A lot of small steps lead up to a big improvement. Image quality, focus speed, sensor cleaning, highlight tone priority, lighter, better battery with overall weight reduction, better ergonomics, bigger LCD, and more. This camera meets the promises Canon made for it and then some. Mine worked perfectly from the first click and is in productive use nearly every day. Its what a pro tool should be.
Cons:
None. It just works.

After 3 weeks of nearly daily use, all I can add is that it's the most trouble free new offering from any maker I've ever owned.

Jun 18, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add jmaio to your Buddy List
nick williams

Registered: Oct 11, 2004
Review Date: Jun 17, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Handling and IQ straight out of the camera, low light focusing LCD is very good with true colours
Cons:
Flash exposures no improvement at ALL!!!

In day light, the IQ straight from the camera is fantastic and will save me a lot of time. The handling is so much better than the MKII which i had before. It all makes sense, they must have been listening (ISO button at last). In low low light my MKII two would struggle and i often put it away to get out my 20D / 30D which was always better. Not any more the MKIII is a huge step forward in low light.

The main downside is the flash exposure. Why rebuild the camera from the ground up and then stick the old system in. It is no better than my old 20D or the MKII. If you have time and can do a pre flash yes it hits the mark. This can mean missing the moment. If someone is wearing black it will over expose and white it will under expose ( again if you have time dial in the exposure compensation and it's fine). The rest of the time it's a bit hit and miss

Jun 17, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add nick williams to your Buddy List
Zac Thomas

Registered: Jun 9, 2007
Review Date: Jun 9, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Great bit of kit! Fast ---comfortable to use ---beautiful image quality --- amazing lack of noise at high ISO. Silent shutter function very useful
Cons:
Non yet -- well maybe no fast and easy mirror lock up.

Mine arrived last week. I have a 5D and 20D and found the transition a piece of cake.
As I shoot jazz musicians in clubs and theatres the very effective silent shutter function is a big plus.

Top marks Canon a fabulous machine.

Jun 9, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Zac Thomas to your Buddy List
Don Merz

Registered: Sep 6, 2006
Review Date: Jun 8, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $4,525.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Everything you've heard about how good this camera is--is true. Light weight. Much improved control layout and user interface. Simply marvelous picture quality. Fabulous array of customization options let you configure the camera to the way you want to work.
Cons:
Expensive--cost more than the first car I bought new. Adobe Photoshop CS3 is required to process RAW files. No upgrade to any Adobe product is available that fixes this--you must purchase CS3. Nit pick: That line of info underneath the viewfindr image is getting awfully crowded. Long term wish: Move the meter to the LEFT of the viewfinder image. We read left to right. It makes sense to have the meter on the left. Another nit: Gee, there sure are a lot of little plastic hole-cover doo-dads on this thing. Design enhancement wish: Make the mount on the side for the wireless transmitter more universally useful for pocket-wizards, FreeXwire, Budweiser cans, etc. Too many lose-able plastic covers like the two on the battery charger. Canon needs to look at how the handheld radio makers build battery charger docking stations for their batteries and radios and then emulate that. You've got USB, but it's a clumsy cable connection. We should be able to drop the whole camera into a docking station and have the battery charging while the camera off-loads its images over the USB connection--all with no wires and without removing the battery. That dual battery charger with its' two plastic covers and incredibly inconvenient power cord is an absurdly user-unfriendly design.

Love the new ISO button.
Love the new AF-ON button.
Steve Jobs is rumored to have said that "the most user-friendly quality any technology can have is speed." By that measure, this camera is VERY user-friendly.
Adobe CS3 is currently $629 at Amazon. Add that cost to your purchase price for this camera because CS3 is required.

Jun 8, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Don Merz to your Buddy List
Leehman

Registered: Mar 29, 2005
Review Date: Jun 8, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Canon said it is an improved autofocus system and it is. The camera is comfortable to hold, vertical or horizontal. The LCD consumes a large part of the back of the camera. I can appreciate the size of the screen as I am in my mid sixties, bigger is better for changing eye sight. The view finder is a dream for me coming from a 20D, 5D. I thought it would be difficult to learn to operate. Not true buttons and wheels are easy to use. Already purchased a spare battery, force of habit from previous cameras. The live view is very useful especially macro. If I were a studio photographer it would get plenty of use. The frames per second are incredible. The high ISO settings with lack of noise will be put to the test at night football season. I can see how easy it will be to reach that 300,000 shutter actuations. Ten frames a second add up fast. Bigger media cards are a must.. Have had the camera for a week and am very impressed. Everything works as advertised. My 5D came with a lifetime supply of dust in the viewfinder. No dust anywhere with the 1DMK111 To early to pass judgement on the sensor cleaning feature. Only time will tell. There are many more features with this camera to be explored by me.
Cons:
Picture styles, and print directly from camera are not the way I use a camera.... Others may find these features handy. I would like a MLU button instead.

This is a very refined camera. Features to serve the style of any photographer. Speed to stop action. Portrait, Landscape, Macro, Wedding, you name it this camera can do it...........

BEWARE. IF YOU TRY ONE YOU WILL WANT ONE.

Jun 8, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Leehman to your Buddy List
SoundHound

Registered: Jan 14, 2006
Review Date: Jun 5, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $4,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast accurate focus, moderate weight with good "Skin," Hi ISO, 10 Fps, versatile menus and features, long batter life, really big buffer, a fine big LCD and viewfinder.
Cons:
Makes me wish for a Hi ISO FF (15Mp) sensor.

Really a bargain considering the features and capabilities. More than I expected. Canon could probable sell these for $6K. Compared to my 5D it has, apparent, lower IQ (but only above 100%). The buffer outlasts both of my 5Ds. Hi ISOs (3200/6400) are new freedom.

Action shots in very dim light are all sharp if I do my part (I have to MF my 5ds). Ten Fps for 2/3 frame bursts capture dancer's pose variations-so far no buffer overruns. The 1.3X Crop is a useful compromise between FF and 1.6X. Everything is first class. I feel like someone peeked into my head to see what I really needed in a camera and then added some features for later.

Jun 5, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add SoundHound to your Buddy List
Alistair Watson

Registered: Mar 21, 2005
Review Date: Jun 4, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Almost a perfect upgrade from the 1D2N. New AF system great and easy to use, seems to drive prime lenses even faster. High ISO capabilities are staggering, very very impressive. Changing ISO is now a one finger affair! Typical Canon 1D build.
Cons:
Software/Menus are a big step forward but Canon could have gone further. Otherwise none that I have found so far.

A wonderful upgrade to the 1D2N, which itself is a great camera. 10MP and 10FPS is brilliant, a useful increase. High ISO capabilities have to be seen to be believed. The new AF system works well and when I use my big telephoto primes I have the feeling that the lens really snaps into focus, it really does feel like a snap, it is that fast. Anyone who uses a big prime handheld will know how painful it used to be to change the ISO on the fly, now it is simply a case of move your first finger from the trigger just behind to the ISO button, press it, twiddle dial, and shoot, a simple yet really really useful feature, all without the camera leaving your eye. The menu system is also easy to understand and being able to create your own 'My Menu' is very useful though Canon could have gone much further with this. Not being able to name groups of functions, but I only use 2 and this is just me nitpicking if I cannot remember the difference between Set 1 and Set 2.

Does this camera justify the price? 3000 GBP. In my opinion yes, it really is that good and you get what you pay for, every penny.

Jun 4, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Alistair Watson to your Buddy List
Russ Fill

Registered: Jun 3, 2007
Review Date: Jun 3, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: All around better feel than my 1DM2N. Lighter, better grip feel, seems thinner. Finally a better button setup. The ISO button next to the shutter release to cool. Better batt's. Small and don't weight a ton.
Cons:
Will take a little while to get use to the new menu and button layout but already know it will be much better when I get use to it.

I seem to be one of the lucky few. I don't normaly shop local for gear, but no cameras are to be found online. I just walked in to my local shop and happened to fall in to a missing persons spot in the waiting line. I was told to come back next week and they would have a few more cameras coming from Canon and I had a good chance to get one because there are some orders that are not serious. Got a call on monday and their you go. New camera in hand. Good for me bad for all who now wait. I guess the moral of the story is to keep checking your sorce and others you might have not considered or walked by. I did the same with my 1DM2N right after it was released when there were none to be found in other places.

Jun 3, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Russ Fill to your Buddy List
jazzman777

Registered: Mar 17, 2005
Review Date: Jun 3, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $4,495.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Lighter weight, better layout of controls, tremendous high-ISO capabilities, better colors and processing with the dual digic processors, great review screen, faster rapid fire ability, lighter and longer lasting batteries, different focusing points, consolidated and completely better Customized Functions, Overall a joy to use.
Cons:
Radically different layout if switching from 1D MkII, (but only takes a day or two to get used to the logiclly better layout). Price up slightly from previous models. Different batteries than my MkII, so I can't swap out on location. Still too new to have RAW drivers for Aperture, Lightroom, or CS2. (but worth the wait).

I am coming from a 1D MkII, not the "N", so there will be a more dramatic difference in screen size, etc. for my review comparison than those that went to the N. I skipped that upgrade.

I purchased mine a few days ago on a trip to Alaska and cannot say enough good about this model. I was hesitant to change from my MkII which has served me well for the last few years. I had a 20D as a backup camera. The first thing you notice (other than the ginormous screen) is the control layout. Although a lot different than the MkII, if fixes most of my MkII pet peeves. No longer do you need to use two hands and three fingers to change the ISO!!!! On touch with your trigger finger on the conveniently located ISO button and it is activated -- a quick turn of the tiny wheel and a gentl press on the shutter button to set up your shot and go, go, go!!! Why so much about the ISO?? You will be constantly changing it as you train yourself to push the ISO further than you ever have before! I am constantly surprised how good pictures taken at 1600 and even 3200 look on my 17" PowerBook. Haven't tried 6400 yet, but I am THRILLED with pictures taken inside our cruise ship at 1600 and 3200. The colors are great and lighting works fine. I was using a 16-35, shooting at f8 to get better room depth, and everyone I've shown them to could not believe they were at such high ISO's.

As mentioned, the battery change is double edged - they are lighter by just under half a pound and supposedly last longer (only have about 800 on my first charge, but still showing full bar). However, they are not interchangeable with my 1D MkII, so using the MkII as my backup, I'll need to carry a couple of those batteries as well. Oh well - progress, eh? I'm assuming that the new 1DsMkIII (whenever it is released) will use this new battery and I can pack lighter again.

Having the 20D did keep my memory banks used to using the back wheel in combination with the top wheel, so it was not a tough transition. I have since given my 20D to my brother now that I have two "pro-bodies" to use.

This was an unexpected purchase when it became available to me, but after the first download and viewing, I have absolutely NO REGRETS!

You won't either!

Jun 3, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jazzman777 to your Buddy List
TheKrowe

Registered: Feb 18, 2006
Review Date: Jun 2, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: 10 Megapixels. 10 FPS. Typical Canon pro body build. Reasonable weight compared to 1DMkIIN. Almost noiseless at 1600 ISO.
Cons:
Somewhat expensive. No battery substitute to allow you to power from an external battery.

Other than a little faster shooting speed and twenty five percent more megapixels, you won't notice a lot of difference between the MkIII and and the MkIIN. The buttons are moved around a bit and the screen is a bit bigger, but the cameras behave about the same. Under the hood they're worlds apart (two digics vs one) but the user is unaware. My MkIIN came with a battery sub unit that allows me to connect the camera to a Quantum or other external battery. There's no such piece of hardware in the box with the MkIII. I guess that's okay since the battery weighs about a pound less than the MkIIN (feels like it anyway) so the load on your neck is less. The camera overall is lighter than the MkIIN.

My MkIIN will continue to see service, but the MkIII is now my primary camera.

Jun 2, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add TheKrowe to your Buddy List
dcmiller

Registered: May 21, 2002
Review Date: May 31, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $4,500.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Af improvement in low light. Af points well distributed and easy to assign. Additional stop of sensitivity. More customization options. Great LCD. Improved JPG. Refined and easy to use. What Canon says this camera does, it does very well. Everything about the camera is quick, quick, quick.
Cons:
Multicontroller could be better physically and in software assignment. No MLU. Wifi not integrated in the large body. English manual not clear, and often technically incorrect in exact phrasing of specifics. Still can't name custom groups of settings. Buffer size with high ISO noise reduction may be too small. (Although with real action shooting, it's difficult to catch the red write light on, much less hit the buffer limit)

A significant but still incremental improvement in Canon's high speed camera. 'Refined' is the term that continually comes to mind. For the experienced digital photographer it's not only the finest action camera ever produced, it's simple and a pleasure to use. The camera is very quick doing everything. It's always ready. Perhaps to the point of making it clear that the photographer has become the slow one in the 'relationship'.

May 31, 2007