Canon EOS 1D Mark III

140 188448 Mar 27, 2014
1DmkIII

Canon's flagship EOS-1D Mark III is the most advanced EOS Digital SLR ever produced. It has a new 10.1 megapixel CMOS sensor (APS-H size) with Canon's EOS Integrated Cleaning System and a 3.0-inch LCD monitor with Canon's Live View technology. The 1D Mark III has a redesigned 100% viewfinder, a new 45-point AF system, and can shoot up to 10 fps continuously with a maximum burst of 110 shots. Dual "DIGIC III" Image Processors work in tandem to speed up every process while refining image quality; a new, lighter body has improved weather sealing and shutter durability. Every facet of the EOS experience has been enhanced with the 1D Mark III. It's the new standard.

- Entirely new 10.1 Megapixel Canon CMOS Sensor (APS-H size, 1.3x lens conversion factor), featuring the EOS Integrated Cleaning System

- World's fastest digital SLR: shooting up to 10 fps, with a burst rate up to 110 full-resolution JPEG images or 30 RAW images
- All new high-precision AF system with 19 user-selectable AF points and 26 additional "assist points"; superior low-light performance and faster operation

- New lighter body with enhanced weather resistance and outstanding reliability: featuring a shutter that's durability-tested to 300,000 exposures

- Dual "DIGIC III" Image Processors work with new CMOS sensors to produce superb image quality; new Highlight Tone Priority option adds control of bright highlights

- Large 3.0-inch LCD monitor, featuring Live View function

- Fully compatible with over 50 EF lenses and a wide range of EOS System accessories

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9  next

Numfar

Registered: Aug 29, 2005
Review Date: Oct 24, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $4,500.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Absolutely the best pro-series camera to date in all but one (significant) way. Lighter, faster, well laid out, beyond-excellent battery life, fantastic low-light/high ISO results.
Cons:
Wonky auto focus pretty much limits the usefulness until Canon's just-announced fix is seen to be effective. Choosing a single AF point could be easier, and takes some time to get used to after working with the joystick on the 5D/xxD bodies.

Hard to add anything to what everyone's said. The Focus Issue (tm) is the big bugbear of this body. Everything else is top notch.

I moved from the 5D and 30D combo to this body, and did so with some worry/trepidation about the size/weight issues. But after 5 months, I can say that the transition was not nearly as difficult as I'd worried. It is a bit heavier, and the added size will take up more room in your kit bag, but the differences are not as great as I had heard/feared.

People talk about how solid the 1 series bodies are. They're right. I was (and to some extent remain) a skeptic when others spoke about not being able to moved to the 5D or other prosumer bodies b/c even despite superior image quality (compared to 1DIIn, for example), the prosumers just felt 'cheap'.

I don't think the 5D feels cheap at all. But I must concede, it doesn not feel as good in hand as the 1 series does.

The image quality is great, all the way to ISO 1600. And ISO 3200 is usable. Shadows are much improved thanks to 14 bit processing and increased dynamic range.

To 5D users, the increased buffer size will be liberating if you shoot rapidly. I've noticed a dramatic difference even in studio environments of fashion shoots.

Battery life is stunning. Regularly shoot an entire day with one charge. Even entire weekends. To compare, the 5D would require 3-5 battery changes over the same time.

My score of 8/10 above is only not a 10 because of the focus issue, which is way too significant to ignore.

When it is fixed conclusively, I will heartily recommend this camera. Until then, it is a very guarded recommendation.

Oct 24, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Numfar to your Buddy List
shrink1

Registered: Sep 18, 2007
Review Date: Oct 9, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $4,500.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: solid, Liveview, quiet and fast, easy controls
Cons:
lack of easy 'reset' function, price, Histogram has no visible borders, conspicuous

Coming from a 20D I like the feel fo the Pro-body a lot more, reminds me of past experience with an F1N. Liveview is actually very useful in some situations: I was shooting a stage production (cabaret), rather than squinting for long periods through the finder I put the camera in liveview mode after focusing (note: only works if performer remains static) then I magnified in to 10x and had just the head of the actor in view. Relaxedly waiting for some drama in his/her expression, I would then click off. Similar to working with a camcorder, I should think.
Focus seems to work as long as I do it right, high ISO is fantastic compared to 20D, and I can actually read the menus on the LCD. Somebody more knowledgable than me pointed out that Nikons have an easy way to reset ISO, WB and similar stuff which is easily forgotten from the previous day's shooting. I agree completely. Also, that histograms are not properly bordered is not my revelation, but I strongly agree.
Price should be about $500 to $1000 lower, I think Canon is milking us.

Oct 9, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add shrink1 to your Buddy List
DavidHall

Registered: Mar 6, 2004
Review Date: Oct 5, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $4,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent build quality, features and performance. I haven't been able to find one thing I don't like about this camera.
Cons:
Too heavy, too expensive and too black. Hey, I love the whole thing, but wanted to say something

I am so sorry some people think their MK III doesn't work well. Mine is tremendous. I had a 10D, a 1D MK II and now this. Each one was an improvement on the other. Certainly the new lcd is a big improvement. But, I also have a 400D with the new lcd and it isn't close. It is not fair, in my humble opinion, that the review for this camera is not at least 9.5.

Oct 5, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add DavidHall to your Buddy List
SlickT

Registered: Dec 9, 2004
Location: Slovenia
Review Date: Oct 4, 2007 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: ISO performance, IQ overall, new button layout, lighter than mk2, superb colors, sensor cleaning.
Cons:
No joystick af selection, AI servo problems, shutter not working, design problems?

I am using my third copy, first one died out of the box without a frame fired, second one worked for a month and stopped working, error99 shutter just died, dont have much hope for my third body to work?!?
Its a love/hate relationship for me, on one hand image quality is superb, rich saturated colors, clean 1600 iso, outstanding battery life, new button layout works great and on the other hand ai servo in certain conditions is yerky and hunts?!?, ive used previos 1 series servo and hands down just doesnt work as well. Ive had shutter failure twice with new body. Canon doesnt admit any problems. At our official service center they told me that camera isnt build acording to specification?!? As a long time Canon user i fell like ive been kicked in the balls.

Oct 4, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add SlickT to your Buddy List
apdieb

Registered: May 28, 2006
Review Date: Sep 29, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $4,499.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Fast, significant improvement in ISO performance. I am a real fan of the new button layout as well. Live view is nice (particularly when tethered). Battery life is stellar
Cons:
LCD Sharpness, joystick cannot select AF point, Canon's lack of response to AF complaints.

By all accounts, my copy seems to be working fine. I am using the MKIII nearly every weekend for weddings along side my 5D. My servo and single-shot have both been working well.

I find the LCD to not be as sharp as I would expect. The 5D LCD is much sharper and easier to judge focus when zoomed in. I do get the occasional series of OOF shots in servo...but I blame that on technique at this point. Typically, my results improve throughout the session.

All in all, compared to my Mark IIN, I am very pleased with the results I am seeing. Since I predominately shoot in high ISO environments, my IQ has increased significantly.

Sep 29, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add apdieb to your Buddy List
Aberdeen Photo

Registered: Mar 9, 2006
Review Date: Sep 21, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $4,500.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Very good ISO to 3200 and decent @ 6400. AF works great on my camera and improved IQ over the 2 and 2N. One touch to change ISO.
Cons:
I am not crazy about the live view or print button. I also wish the camera had functions similar to the 5D.

This is a very good product. I have great experience with af and ISO to 3200. It is however, evolutionary, not revolutionary. It has great build and a great feel. The improved ISO and IQ over the 2 and 2N make it a worthwhile investment. It will be interesting to see how the IQ hold up to the 5D replacement next year.

Overall, a very good performer.

Sep 21, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Aberdeen Photo to your Buddy List
gbee

Registered: May 21, 2004
Posts: 1951
Review Date: Sep 12, 2007 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 6

Pros: A nice refresh, but perhaps too much moved for those who work twins. Very nice menu but then more things are menu only accessible to make room for the big screen. New battery is a winner.
Cons:
The focus is just a joke, Canon have had problems in all their 1D class machines but the MK3 seems to have collected them all and enhanced them all. I have no tracking, no noticeable improvement in low light or low contrast, soft focus is normal, but this thing jumps anywhere. LCD screen is bad ~ it is bigger and easier to see but it's bad out of the box, unable to determine the correct exposure and the colours are unbelievably horrific. The AWB has a blue cast in daylight. I own the 1D, 1DMKII, 2x 1DMKIIn now an MK3

A nice upgrade if it worked correctly. There are many improvements which will become second nature soon enough but it just highlights the bad ergonomics previously employed by Canon.

Possibly the worst improvement is the rear LCD review screen, it is dreadful. It is easier to see in daylight and the menus is bright and clear but as for reviewing the images it can, so far, only be used as an aid to composition as it is proving impossible to judge the exposure and people look blown out when in fact they are not, it's extremely difficult to ignore this and make adjustment that ruin the picture.

I would not actually class this camera as an upgrade, Canon don't think so either, it a natural progression for anyone retiring their beloved MKIIn after a hard working life, it is not the new nirvana and working pros may completely dismiss this offering as it only reintroduces all the old 1D series problems and concentrates them in one shell. Wait for the N version, for those who know, it's the 1DMKII syndrome again, only worse.

Sad to say, I'm not impressed. It works OK, but I'll not be buying two of them, like I did with the 1DMKIIn ~ IMO the MKIIn is STILL the beast.

My opinion as of September 13th 2007 after one week ownership. My opinion may change, Canon may fix this thing, and pig might actually fly.

Have a nice day.

Sep 12, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add gbee to your Buddy List
Jack White

Registered: Nov 12, 2006
Review Date: Sep 12, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $4,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Camera Ergs, new and improved menu layout, IQ outstanding (better than 1D MKII), No AF problem yet, custom function give you ultimate control, battery life, lighter than previous 1D cameras, Live View for macro or elevated work
Cons:
Canon doesn't make lenses designed with the 1.3X FOV in mind, it's either 1.0X FF or 1.6X (EF-S), the middle child always gets neglected, a slightly more rounded/robust/contoured grip would be appreciated, a mode that allows one to take advantage of EF-S lenses as well as EF lenses (Nikon did it with their D3). CS2 doesn't support 1D MKIII RAW files.

I sold the 1D MKII and picked up a 5D. With the 40D coming out I thought about picking one of these up as the 5D does not do sport photography well. It then occurred to me that the perfect middle ground for speed and IQ would be the 1D MKIII. The 1D MKII was no slouch but there was room for IQ improvement. Images coming out of the 1D MKIII require very little post processing in CS3 PS. I got lucky because no AF issues have surfaced yet. When shooting in AI servo mode I use custom settings suggested by Arthur Morris and Les Zigurski. To be honest, even before using these custom settings I was getting 70-90% success rate but now it is even more consistent. Change your custom settings: AF sensitivity to high and focus to 'off' when AF is lost. Pre-focus manually then allow the AF system to take over. I still have to explore the Live View feature but my initial impressions are of amazement. I wonder how this feature will perform during macro work. In 10X Live View mode I find it very easy to manual focus the lens and obtain a sharp image. The ISO button on the top of camera and you can now configure mirror lock-up to be the 'set' button on the dial. Canon 1D MKIII is the new flagship until the 1Ds MKIII arrives and still the top dog for sports shooters. The D3 will be impressive if it lives up to the written specs but if you own Canon glass there is no need to make the switch.

Sep 12, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Jack White to your Buddy List
John Daniel

Registered: Jun 6, 2004
Review Date: Sep 10, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Speed speed speed, image quality, the colors, large LCD, speed (did I mentioned it?), the focus (I have shot I could not match with my 5D and my 1D2)
Cons:
Very complicated setup for custom functions that make the focus system hard to setup.

I am just impressed with the quality and acuracy of the war machine.

Sep 10, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add John Daniel to your Buddy List
Desert_Watcher

Registered: Jun 15, 2006
Location: Kuwait
Review Date: Sep 9, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $5,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast amazing AF, Frame Sequence is mighty, Live preview is amazing for macro and closeups, High ISO exceptional image Quality, and high Quality AW sealed
Cons:
Non, except 2 frame is miss focused in high temperature atmosphere 37C and up

After my experience with the old mighty 1d mark II N, this model is exceptional and a true innovation in photography. i just love it Smile and I'm considering a second body after i pay back my Credit card Smile
i Have faith that the AF issue will be solved with Version 1.1.1 , canon never disappoint it's pro customer. Smile

Sep 9, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Desert_Watcher to your Buddy List
Keith Broad

Registered: Aug 14, 2007
Review Date: Sep 7, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Speed, responsiveness, build, IQ, DR, noise, handling.
Cons:
None, so far.

I've had the body for nearly a month now. I've shot a wedding (in very harsh light), kids on the run, macros and portraits; at no time has this camera mis-stepped. The razor-sharp AF is fast and responsive, DR is extraordinary, the lack of noise is exceptional and I am getting 3,000 shots+ to each battery charge. I still find it difficult to resort to ISO 1600+ (old habits die hard), only to realise that I WILL get a clean image. As well, I have hands and fingers that suffer from pain and numbness, nevertheless I find the controls and handling of this camera comfortable and intuitive. I have yet to find any fault with this camera . . . so I won't.

Sep 7, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Keith Broad to your Buddy List
neridah

Registered: Jul 16, 2006
Review Date: Sep 6, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Rugged Build quality - A real handsome looking machine - Ergonomically enhanced feels good in the hand.Outstanding responsiveness image quality improved battery output.A more user friendly design and menu interface
Cons:
Wish it was a Full frame (FF)...The price is justifiable based on how it is built & for what it does...Highly recommended !

Outstanding camera it is everything that it says it is.
If it was a full frame with 15mp then it would be an absolute dream machine.

Sep 6, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add neridah to your Buddy List
cwphoto

Registered: May 23, 2005
Review Date: Sep 2, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Very low noise at high ISO, live-view, battery performance, sensor cleaning, highlight tone priority, 14-bit, sRAW.
Cons:
AF inconsistency, not full frame, no UDMA write speed, no built-in wireless, RAW files much larger (you'll need more memeory).

Notwithstanding the AF issues (don't insult us pros who actually push our gear to the limit TimesUP - the focusing problems are real and demonstrable), the camera is nonetheless a welcome evolution to the EOS-1D series - albeit a little of the gloss has rubbed off with the recently announced Nikon D3.

For me it's the many little improvements which make it a worthwhile upgrade. The revised menu structure and one-touch operation, the way the camera just feels more responsive in the hand, the 3" screen is useful, flash exposure seems more consistent.

It would have been a perfect 10, but it loses marks for the AF problems and the fact that it is not FF. Apart from that it is highly recommended.

Sep 2, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add cwphoto to your Buddy List
TimesUP

Registered: Feb 6, 2006
Review Date: Aug 31, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $4,350.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Design, looks, functionality, flexibility, IQ, built like a tank....the list goes on and on.....
Cons:
Haveing to sift through the whining about the auto focusing issues that just are not there.......or reading about it's too heavy, it's too expensive.....

This camera is a work of art and should be treated with respect.

Why should you but this camera? - because it just feels great in your hand, because the IQ - though less pixels - is still better than the 5D. Because when I have gotten my shot you and your 5D will still be hunting for focus.....and so on and so on.....

This thing is built like a tank - thats why it's heavy, and thats why it is expensive - when compared to the 5D its like comparing a FORD Mavrick to a BMW.....yeah they will both grt you from point "A" to point "B" but, well, you know where I'n going with this.......JUST GO BUY IT, no worries.....

Aug 31, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add TimesUP to your Buddy List
jaclarkaus

Registered: Oct 25, 2005
Review Date: Aug 29, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Speed, larger picture than 1DIIn, Live View fantastic for MF lenses and taking pictures of the moon, ability to adjust the font/back focusing of lenses. New Battery and lighter, although not light. Size of screen.
Cons:
Stress of wondering if I got a good one (think I did) and the amount of time it took to get it. Yet another battery format ...

Was worried about all the negative reports, but when a survey of people actually having an issue showed it to be relatively low %, and the belief Canon will stick by their users (as they did continually with my original 10D) thought I'd go ahead anyway.

Immediately impressed with the new layout, button sequence and great big screen, even compared to 1DIIn and 5D.

Layout of the menus much more logical and can find things easily, and having personal menus is great, but not sure why you can't add more items and have it scroll.

Set the AF tracking one click slower than normal as suggested (for shooting rugby) and while it didn't seem to miss many shots, felt like it was a little drunk when the subject moved off centre and back. Was not as seamless as the 1DIIn, but much better than the 5D or 20D.

Did the head-on runner test and had 5 from 67 badly out of focus, and another 5 not tack sharp, so about 12% failure rate. First time out on the rugby field and it seemed to be about 5% failure - more than I'd like, but livable considering the ones I kept were really good.

Seems ideal for HDR - set to 10fps and limit to 3 consecutive shots and bracket +-2 stops. Don't know why they don't include this in the firmware so it doesn't drop the mirror between shots - surely 20fps would be easy to get if you only want 3 ... Anyway, they worked really well in Photoshop and Photomatix, so well I think most of my non-sport photos will end up being shot this way.

Live view is fantastic for manual focus lenses - with a 10 times zoom you can really see what is sharp. Live view is also great for moon shots as you can almost see what's going to end up with.

The ability to be able to micro-adjust for specific lenses is the big sleeper advantage - in my opinion, one of the big reasons shots become soft or out of focus is they are front or back focused. Instead of sending all your bodies and lenses to Canon, just dial in what you need. This item alone looks to save me hundreds of dollars and much more pain.

Lastly, a little whinge, I don't know why they had to change it so much that my RRS L bracket doesn't fit, and not quite sure why they couldn't simply keep the 1DIIn battery shape with a new LION ... might have sold some new batteries to old camera users at the same time.

Aug 29, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add jaclarkaus to your Buddy List
selwynroberts

Registered: Feb 18, 2006
Review Date: Aug 27, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: fantastic speed , great battery life, amazing low light performance, fast AF
Cons:
bit heavy, expensive in the UK

This is my first 1 series canon upgrading from a 20d. Serial no 522xxx, this camera seems to auto focus quickly and accurately in AF servo mode. The viewfinder is really easy to see through. The high ISO peformance is fantastic, I am planning to use this camera on a photographic trip to the arctic in november. I would have liked a mirror lockup button but canon seemingly are never going to give us one of those. I found the 1d very intuitive to use and in many ways similar to the 20d.

Aug 27, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add selwynroberts to your Buddy List

Canon EOS 1D Mark III