Canon EOS 1D Mark III

141 189235 Nov 5, 2014
1DmkIII

Canon's flagship EOS-1D Mark III is the most advanced EOS Digital SLR ever produced. It has a new 10.1 megapixel CMOS sensor (APS-H size) with Canon's EOS Integrated Cleaning System and a 3.0-inch LCD monitor with Canon's Live View technology. The 1D Mark III has a redesigned 100% viewfinder, a new 45-point AF system, and can shoot up to 10 fps continuously with a maximum burst of 110 shots. Dual "DIGIC III" Image Processors work in tandem to speed up every process while refining image quality; a new, lighter body has improved weather sealing and shutter durability. Every facet of the EOS experience has been enhanced with the 1D Mark III. It's the new standard.

- Entirely new 10.1 Megapixel Canon CMOS Sensor (APS-H size, 1.3x lens conversion factor), featuring the EOS Integrated Cleaning System

- World's fastest digital SLR: shooting up to 10 fps, with a burst rate up to 110 full-resolution JPEG images or 30 RAW images
- All new high-precision AF system with 19 user-selectable AF points and 26 additional "assist points"; superior low-light performance and faster operation

- New lighter body with enhanced weather resistance and outstanding reliability: featuring a shutter that's durability-tested to 300,000 exposures

- Dual "DIGIC III" Image Processors work with new CMOS sensors to produce superb image quality; new Highlight Tone Priority option adds control of bright highlights

- Large 3.0-inch LCD monitor, featuring Live View function

- Fully compatible with over 50 EF lenses and a wide range of EOS System accessories

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9  next

BA31Driver

Registered: Dec 24, 2004
Review Date: Jan 17, 2008 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Cons:
Clumsey AF point selection, extra card slot should be for another CF card, not SD.

After years of reading many of these reviews on many different cameras and lenses, I was never interested in posting one myself until my experience with the 1Dmk3. Years ago I was bit by the 1-series bug with my EOS-1s, and the side effects included wanting more L lenses to build the arsenal. I've owned two 20Ds, and a 40D, but they just didn't quench my thirst for a pro-build camera. Though no camera is perfect, this one I still consider the best I have ever used or owned. I had tried one out at the store (a pre blue dot machine), with a 35f1.4L, and after viewing the results at home, saw absolutely no AF issues. I later took a blue dot machine for a test flight, and bought it after reviewing the results on my monitor at home. The following weekend used it for my last wedding of 2007, and it performed flawlessly. AF was bang-on in lower light than I had used my 40D, and the keeper rate was better. On the 40D I couldn't trust the AF points (other than the center, and center-top); all the ones on the sides for holding vertically back focused almost every shot in brighter light than where the 1Dmk3 never missed a mark with any of it's AF points. ISO 3200 is as good as iso 1600 was on the 40D, maybe even better. I do a lot of photography for our church during services (so being flashless is necessary) with my 1Dmk3/70-200f2.8 IS, and this combo is perfect. My 24-70L is now more usable that on the 40D, gaining back some wide angle ability, and using f2.8 on these lenses looks better. Battery life per charge has been great, I've only charged my first battery once, and that was on the 21st of December; it's still going (today is 17 Jan 08). The sensor has only been cleaned once out of the box, and I've been changing lenses in places I chose not to with my 20Ds; I just hate dealing with dust!!! It's EVIL! Though I'm still carefull with how/where I change a lens, the Dust Removal system works great. Choosing other AF points is clumsier than the 20/40Ds, but not enough for me to lower my score below '10'. I have no interest/use in Live View at all. I've tried the AI Servo mode, only because I was curious. I'd never tried it on my 20/40Ds. It was on easy subjects, using 70-200f2.8L with 1.4x, the keeper rate was very high. Some other time I'll test it out in more demanding conditions. Despite Canon's blunder in how they handled the AF issue, both bodies I tried were perfect. Dynamic range is better than the 40D, and I wish Canon would do the same as Nikon in making both card slots for CF cards. After using this camera, it would be very difficult to settle for anything less, and I'm looking forward to getting my 2nd body.....which won't be soon enough!

Jan 17, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add BA31Driver to your Buddy List
gandini

Registered: Jan 11, 2002
Review Date: Jan 17, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: great design, well built pro-quality body; excellent ergonomics; all those custom functions! superb IQ, accurate focusing.
Cons:
Like marijuana: leads to more dangerous habits like purchase of L lenses. I've spent more on L glass that I spent on the body since getting the body.

I pondered getting this through all the AF issues, and held out for a 55.... body. I don't use AI much at all, but whenever I pick it up, it focuses perfectly. I must admit that it seems to reward buying high quality lenses. I now have 5 L lenses: the holy trinity and two great zooms, and they were just meant to be used on the mIII.
My biggest problem is finding a bag to carry it all in...

Jan 17, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add gandini to your Buddy List
BA31Driver

Registered: Dec 24, 2004

Pros: Build quality, ergonomics, high iso performance, dynamic range, low light AF performance, and more to discover. 3 stops of flash exposure compensation is nice. (haven't even opened the manual yet..... yes, I'm a man, and I can change, if I have too, ...... I guess)
Cons:

After years of reading many of these reviews on many different cameras and lenses, I was never interested in posting one myself until my experience with the 1Dmk3. Years ago I was bit by the 1-series bug with my EOS-1s, and the side effects included wanting more L lenses to build the arsenal. I've owned two 20Ds, and a 40D, but they just didn't quench my thirst for a pro-build camera. Though no camera is perfect, this one I still consider the best I have ever used or owned. I had tried one out at the store (a pre blue dot machine), with a 35f1.4L, and after viewing the results at home, saw absolutely no AF issues. I later took a blue dot machine for a test flight, and bought it after reviewing the results on my monitor at home. The following weekend used it for my last wedding of 2007, and it performed flawlessly. AF was bang-on in lower light than I had used my 40D, and the keeper rate was better. On the 40D I couldn't trust the AF points (other than the center, and center-top); all the ones on the sides for holding vertically back focused almost every shot in brighter light than where the 1Dmk3 never missed a mark with any of it's AF points. ISO 3200 is as good as iso 1600 was on the 40D, maybe even better. I do a lot of photography for our church during services (so being flashless is necessary) with my 1Dmk3/70-200f2.8 IS, and this combo is perfect. My 24-70L is now more usable that on the 40D, gaining back some wide angle ability, and using f2.8 on these lenses looks better. Battery life per charge has been great, I've only charged my first battery once, and that was on the 21st of December; it's still going (today is 17 Jan 08). The sensor has only been cleaned once out of the box, and I've been changing lenses in places I chose not to with my 20Ds; I just hate dealing with dust!!! It's EVIL! Though I'm still carefull with how/where I change a lens, the Dust Removal system works great. Choosing other AF points is clumsier than the 20/40Ds, but not enough for me to lower my score below '10'. I have no interest/use in Live View at all. I've tried the AI Servo mode, only because I was curious. I'd never tried it on my 20/40Ds. It was on easy subjects, using 70-200f2.8L with 1.4x, the keeper rate was very high. Some other time I'll test it out in more demanding conditions. Despite Canon's blunder in how they handled the AF issue, both bodies I tried were perfect; therefore my score of 10 still stands. I won't base my score on other peoples' experience with the camera, or any complaints I've read elsewhere. Dynamic range is better than the 40D, and I wish Canon would do the same as Nikon in making both card slots for CF cards.

Julius

Registered: Jan 26, 2002
Review Date: Jan 9, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,599.95 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent ground up redesign of the previous 1 D cameras. An outstanding camera from the functionality point of you with picture quality out of the camera unparalleled compared to previous models.
Cons:
None found so far.

It took me a lot of contemplation after all the initial AF issues to purchase this camera (Blue Dot version). Having 1D cameras before I was right at home with it from the beginning, learning the new features very quickly and the new Menu system really impressed me, it is a breeze and pleasure to use it. The fact that I can have (and I do) 10 custom setups stored on each of the CF and SD cards is an incredible bonus and convenience which can be loaded in seconds. I made setups for landscapes; birds in flight, bracketing, special flash applications, and mirror lock up with variations and naming them on an easily recognizable way. I store my setups (actually even more than 10) on my desktop and laptop in case when I reformat the card I can easily copy them back.
The "My Menu" is another incredible bonus which I really appreciate and enjoy that I can change and custom tailor parameters in an instant. As an example having the Mirror Lockup in My Menu takes 2 seconds to turn it on or off so I really do not feel like I have a need for a dedicated MLU button. The design and user friendliness of this camera is a dream come true for me.
The picture quality out of the camera is absolutely astonishing with at least one f/stop high ISO advantage compared to the previous 1d versions. The images require minimum post processing and the colors are stunning and very accurate, better than any camera I ever had which includes Canon D30, D60, 10D, 20D, 5D, 1D, 1D MK II and II N.
On This Blue Dot camera the AF is spot on and the AI servo gives me very good results, maybe a few percentage of less in focus images in a burst than the 1D MK IIN but very close. I found some inconsistent One-shot AF with my 24-105L lens at the 24mm end but this appears to related to this specific lens, both my 16-35L II and 17-40L are focusing perfectly well.
All in all I enjoy this camera more than any other camera I had before.

Jan 9, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Julius to your Buddy List
Tobers

Registered: Jan 23, 2007
Review Date: Jan 4, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Image quality, responsivness, solid, feels excellent in the hand, build quality.
Cons:
Vast number of custom functions making it easy to screw up your settings

I waited and waited until I could get one of the "good" serial number cameras well outside the faulty serial number range. I'm very impressed. Autofocus has been spot on in AI Servo mode - it focuses accurately and extremely quickly. The camera really is a joy to use. It is so fast and responsive, and makes my old 30D look and feel like a toy. Super bit of kit.

Jan 4, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Tobers to your Buddy List
recordproducti

Registered: Jul 11, 2005
Review Date: Dec 22, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Solid, robust, accurate, very fast, super fast to focus, brilliant medium to high ISO performance, 'look of the image', superb battery life. Overall, a superb camera.
Cons:
It shows up average lenses.

I bought the 'blue dot' with some concern after reading some comments posted about AF. I thought I'd take a minimum of 2,000 shots before posting any review so that I could be sure - and in my experience it's bang on. I am getting superb results.

I've used a good range of lenses with it and note that my 85L mk II is a bit faster than my 5D. 24-70L is quite a bit faster. I was a bit concerned after my first two shoots after comparing the images taken by the 5D, then I remembered I'd been using zooms on the 1D and the 35L and 85L on the 5D. After doing tests and follow up shoots with the primes on the 1D I could see just how good that the 1D mk III renders images. I was about to go and buy a 50L but my 50 f/1.4 on the 1D is superb.

AF issues? None here. It's super fast.

I paid not much more than I paid for my 5D (two years ago) and it surely is better value? I will not sell my 5D, it's great, the 1D is for different work. It's a great combination.

Dec 22, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add recordproducti to your Buddy List
simonella_viru

Registered: Nov 19, 2005
Review Date: Dec 20, 2007 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 5

Pros: LCD is bigger, weather sealing, 2 memory slots (CF, SD), long battery life, live view
Cons:
unpredictable AF, no auto-focus in live view

this camera is good when it feels like it- very schizo behaviour. i still haven't sent it in to get the fix, but canon thusfar has been so responsive (sarcasm), so to be fair i thought i'd write-up a quick review anyway.

i have this sneaking suspicion that even after the fix, things won't be at 100% anyway. regardless, owning this camera, with all the firmware and settings tweaks, felt like a work in progress, not a professionally finished flagship product. i'm very unimpressed and i think i would have been better off with a 1d Mk IIn, 1ds Mk II, 40d, or even some nikon camera. canon missed the mark on this one. i am definitely not one of the people who have a good mark III, if such a thing exists. definitely not worth the money or risk!

Dec 20, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add simonella_viru to your Buddy List
Matt Kerby

Registered: Jun 9, 2007
Review Date: Dec 16, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $4,499.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast, incredible in low light at high ISO's, improved layout over the mkII's, Live view real time WB and exposer review
Cons:

I know all about the AI Servo problem. My Blue dot is always spot on and never lets me down. I'm only a couple thousand shots into it but it is much better than my 1DmkII. For some this body has been a problem but the problem has been blown way out of proportion now that the fix is in. The ease of operation is a big step forward. The PP is very easy with this body and it takes cropping very well. Not much more to say...Well...Except, don't believe everything you read about this body, most who are complaining either haven't got it fixed, didn't buy a post fix body or simply don't own it and are mirroring what they read in the forums.
Best tool I've ever had for capturing any type of image...Period

Dec 16, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Matt Kerby to your Buddy List
larkinsg

Registered: Jan 25, 2005
Review Date: Dec 15, 2007 Recommend? no | Price paid: $4,500.00 | Rating: 1

Pros: If it functioned as advertised it would be fantastic -- it does not, apparently even post-fix.
Cons:
The AF (AI Servo Mode) on this camera was manufactured (in what appears to be about 45,000 cameras) defective! The fix is now being applied but it does not bring the camera into the realm of the 1D Mark II in terms of AF speed and tracking.

The AF (AI Servo Mode) on this camera was manufactured (in
what appears to be about 45,000 cameras) defective! The fix
is now being applied but it does not bring the camera into the
realm of the 1D Mark II in terms of AF speed and tracking.

Images that are in focus are fantastic ISO 400 on this
camera. Noise at ISO 400 is competitive or better than that of the 1D mark II series at ISO 100!

The hit-or-miss AF is a reall millstone around an action
photographer's neck and at $4,500 for a camera that Canon
claimed would be better than the predecessor in every way,
particularly autofocussing, this is a real deal breaker and
bitter disappointment!

Should Canon ever read this they might want to note the
As an engineer extremely familiar with optics I suspect that
the use of a concave submirror makes the AF inherently
unstable through the introduction of an aberation (spherical
aberation perhaps?) making the size of transmitted spot on
the AF sensor vary as it moves across the AF sensor's surface and leading to focussing errors. If this is the cause of the problem the problem will not be repairable unless and until
they re-design the entire assembly and replace the sensor
and the sub-mirror or add a correction plate to compensate
for the aberation.

Avoid this camera until an updated "N" version without bugs is
brought out!

Finally -- IF you do decide to purchase any fine camera I urge
you to buy it from B&H as they are easily the most reputable
and responsible mail order house that I have dealt with in my
20+ years of Wildlife and Nature photography. N0TE -- I am
in ABSOLUTELY NO WAY Assiciated or Affiliated with B&H
other than as a satisfied customer entering my 3rd decade as
a client!

Dec 15, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add larkinsg to your Buddy List
ward1066

Registered: Feb 3, 2005
Review Date: Dec 5, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $4,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: battery life, IQ, ISO noise, 10fps
Cons:
price :)

I got a BD version around the first of dec. and have prieviously owned the Mark2 N. I have used the servo and sofar have not noticed any issues compared to the N. This camera had some problems out of the gate and it will probably take some time for people to test the good versions.Then I believe you will hear people praising this wonderful camera. I wouldnt have any hesitations purchasing one again.

Dec 5, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add ward1066 to your Buddy List
moduli

Registered: Aug 27, 2007
Review Date: Nov 30, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: single point af has been reliable, outside of circumstances involving my own error. colour, wb and exposure has been great, as expected of a 1x. battery life is great.
Cons:
i cannot get multipoint af to work, hitrate is 50% whereas its closer to 90% with single, guess i need more practice

the thing about this camera is you dont realise what you hold until you go back to something else, as i did recently with a friends 40d. then it just feels like a cheap slow plasticy pos and the photos look 2nd rate by comparison.

camera died recently while using liveview, completely stone dead on a full battery with no lights or anything, so its back at canon. despite that i love it and wouldnt hesitate to buy it again.

Nov 30, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add moduli to your Buddy List
ivanshusky

Registered: Nov 7, 2005
Review Date: Nov 29, 2007 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 7

Pros: 1 series build, new battery, lighter wieght
Cons:
AF issue

To me 1D3 is not a big improvement from 1D2N. The AF is very inconsistant.

Nov 29, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add ivanshusky to your Buddy List
Matt OHarver

Registered: Sep 17, 2006
Review Date: Nov 23, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Battery life, High ISO performance, improved AF system, one button to push instead of 2 to make changes, more MP, more FPS, just amazing.
Cons:
None so far, camera has performed flawlessly so far.

After watching the AF issues with the 1DMKIII I hesitated to place an order for the upgrade from the 1DMKIIn I was using. However Dell came out with this great deal and I had heard they were shipping Blue Dots some in the effected SN range some out. I placed my order and recieved a BD outside the range and its just a amazing piece of equipment. It woke up the AF speed on even my slowest lens. I've shot over 1000 frames on the first battery charge and have chimped and played in the menu so much and I dont feel I need to recharge. I have had no issues with the camera at all to date and am glad I pulled the trigger to place the order.

Nov 23, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Matt OHarver to your Buddy List
leewoolery

Registered: Feb 27, 2005
Review Date: Nov 11, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: JPG's from camera are incredible, AF is lighting-quick, High ISO performance must be seen to be believed.
Cons:
Reported problems with AF and Canon finally admitting problem exists is vry troubling

Used camera this weekend for a gymnastics meet and images at ISO 3200/6400 were just amazing. Gym lighting was typically poor but camera performed as if it were in daylight.

Menus are easy to figure out but non anything like 1D Series
cameras from the past...much more like the 30D menu.

AF is fastest and most accurate I've ever seen and frame rate coupled with deep buffer takes action shooting to a new level...there are places that I could never have imagined getting useable, available-light photos...but now that's achievable.

Images taken with strobes are unreal.

I thought the 1D Mark II was a great camera but the Mark III
is so much better....in every way.

Lee Woolery
Speedshot Action Photography
www.speedshotphoto.com

Nov 11, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add leewoolery to your Buddy List
DavidI

Registered: Sep 6, 2004
Review Date: Nov 7, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $4,170.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Picture and build quality, ability to easily 'pick up and shoot'.
Cons:
Just the weight, a worthwhile sacrifice for the above.

I'm a keen amateur, using a 10D for a few years now, waiting for the right time to move to a 1-series for better sports shots, mainly soccer. I was planning on buying at B&H during a visit to NYC at the end of October but ended up getting a surprisingly good deal in the UK before my trip, and took the plunge with the AI issue looking as if Canon were about to get to the bottom of it.

The first thing to strike me was just how easy the camera is to use for someone familiar with the 10D. Although the button layout is a little different the logic is very familiar and I felt comfortable very quickly. The second thing was the quality of the pictures; I genuinely didn't expect the shots to be noticeably better out of the box - I thought focus tracking would be better and obviously low light shots would be improved, but just your everyday point and click shots are that much sharper too.

As an example, I'm a sucker for clicking away at seagulls. Alongside the Libert Island ferry, with the boat pitching around and a non-IS lens, every one of a dozen or so shots is perfectly sharp. I haven't suddenly become a decent photographer, and the lenses are the same, so I am confident that the improvement over my usual soft efforts is down to the camera. Some of the shots from the Empire State Building, at night, ISO 3200 and 6400 and handheld at F2.8, sold the low-light performance to me.

I spent a morning calibrating the lenses with Art Morris' excellent mkIII user's guide, and found every lens needed adjustment. My 85mm 1.8 is going into Canon this week as even at +20 (the end of the scale) it still isn't perfect - that would at least partly explain why I never took a good picture with it then....

After a week spent using the camera in NYC I came back with a stack of pictures, a far higher percentage of which than normal I consider keepers, and a fairly sore left shoulder from carrying my camera bag pretty much non-stop!

From an amateur's point of view, to anyone looking to make a similar upgrade I would say go for it - the 1DIII is simply a fantastic piece of kit, and the difference in output between it and the 10D more than justifies the cost.

Nov 7, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add DavidI to your Buddy List
KETCH ROSSI

Registered: Sep 11, 2007
Review Date: Nov 4, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $4,499.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Super Fast, Impressive built, Produces Fantastic images, Perfect design.
Cons:
Nothing about this camera is negative, nothing.

This camera is just nothing short of fantastic, I purchased just over a month ago, and now I know I will never again buy an other camera body other then the 1D bodies.

I have not experienced any issues with focus, great, great images this camera can produce, yes I do have a collection of L series glass (the latest) which sure helps but the camera is just a ground braking piece of machine, incredibly well build, better then the predecessors, lighter and with a gummy robberiesh fill to the external grip and bottom, you noticed when for the first time you put down the camera on a glass or marble desk.

I truly now can jump with no esitation in to the purchase of the new 1Ds III as I'm confident I will find the same unsurpassable quality I found in the 1D MARK III.

I do not list all the tectniacal aspects of the products I review as that is done extensively everywere by far more fitted professionals, I stick to give my able opinion, and my opinion is that this camera is just fantastic, buy one with no second guessing.

Nov 4, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add KETCH ROSSI to your Buddy List

Canon EOS 1D Mark III