Canon EOS 1D Mark III

140 188520 Mar 27, 2014
1DmkIII

Canon's flagship EOS-1D Mark III is the most advanced EOS Digital SLR ever produced. It has a new 10.1 megapixel CMOS sensor (APS-H size) with Canon's EOS Integrated Cleaning System and a 3.0-inch LCD monitor with Canon's Live View technology. The 1D Mark III has a redesigned 100% viewfinder, a new 45-point AF system, and can shoot up to 10 fps continuously with a maximum burst of 110 shots. Dual "DIGIC III" Image Processors work in tandem to speed up every process while refining image quality; a new, lighter body has improved weather sealing and shutter durability. Every facet of the EOS experience has been enhanced with the 1D Mark III. It's the new standard.

- Entirely new 10.1 Megapixel Canon CMOS Sensor (APS-H size, 1.3x lens conversion factor), featuring the EOS Integrated Cleaning System

- World's fastest digital SLR: shooting up to 10 fps, with a burst rate up to 110 full-resolution JPEG images or 30 RAW images
- All new high-precision AF system with 19 user-selectable AF points and 26 additional "assist points"; superior low-light performance and faster operation

- New lighter body with enhanced weather resistance and outstanding reliability: featuring a shutter that's durability-tested to 300,000 exposures

- Dual "DIGIC III" Image Processors work with new CMOS sensors to produce superb image quality; new Highlight Tone Priority option adds control of bright highlights

- Large 3.0-inch LCD monitor, featuring Live View function

- Fully compatible with over 50 EF lenses and a wide range of EOS System accessories

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9  next

dehowie

Registered: Oct 21, 2004
Review Date: Oct 10, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Pretty much everything..
Cons:

Had my Mk3 since just after release and it is imply the fastest focusing accurate camera ive ever used.
Blows my old MK2N away and every other camera ive seen in use.
Great buffer for action photography so unreservedly recommend this camera..

Oct 10, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dehowie to your Buddy List
d70svrider

Registered: Dec 16, 2004
Review Date: Sep 25, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $4,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros:
Cons:

I received my Mark III a few weeks after they started being delivered. I have a bazzillion clicks on this thing, but it keeps on clicking. I've never had the focus issues other have reported, in face, my Mark III always focuses great. The Microfocus Adjustment makes the AF even better.

Recently I was shooting with a 200 f/1.8 + 2.0x + 1.4x. The AF still worked on all AF points, although it hunted a bit on low contrast subjects. The results were outstanding. The focus was spot on even with all that glass in the way. Can't say enought good about the Mark III.

Sep 25, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add d70svrider to your Buddy List
Jack Sparrow

Registered: Apr 3, 2006
Location: Argentina
Review Date: Aug 18, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $4,500.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Fast, complete, longlife battery.
Cons:
I would like to take sharpener pictures, AI servo not too fast.

Im glad to have my Eos 1D Mark III, it is a great camera with lots of functions. I took more than 10.000 pictures, mostly sports, polo and rugby pictures. It is very strong.

Sometimes I looses focus.

I take some picutres with direct view but I cant get the sharpeness I though I would get with may EOS 1D Mark III

Aug 18, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Jack Sparrow to your Buddy List
Digital Fury

Registered: Jun 10, 2009
Review Date: Aug 18, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: SPEED (FPS, shutter lag), IQ, awesome construction, weather sealing, low-light AF, custom functions, battery life, high ISO, works flawlessly (at least mine does)
Cons:
LCD resolution, no auto ISO, very dim viewfinder compared to Nikon's, SD instead of CF for 2nd card, mostly useless AWB (like all Canons)

I moved from a 5D MKI to a MKII, but even though it's much improved over the previous model in both features and quality, I found its construction, speed and flexibility still limited.

After using a lot of Canon DSLRs over the years, I finally made the jump to a brand new (manufactured in May 2009) 1D Mark III as the price is now more reasonable - and I'm glad I did. Photographing moving objects is much better with this body than with the 5D MKII.

It's obviously showing its age, and given it's 10.1 Mpx APS-H sensor limitation the IQ is very good (using it mostly with a Sigma 50mm f/1.4). I was worried considering all the bad press it has received, but mine is working fine.

All-in-all an awesome camera.

Aug 18, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Digital Fury to your Buddy List
Breitling65

Registered: May 31, 2006
Review Date: Aug 17, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast, accurate AF, excellent IQ, perfect mpx per sensor size
Cons:
Some minor like, UDMA support, not as good LCD on colors as on 5D2.

I am really very happy with this camera and so far it is best I ever own list (20D, XTi, 40D, 5D, 5D2). Don't care about RG report and talks, what I do care is my own results and they are very good. Especially good for birding and sports. Get one and you will see yourself.

Aug 17, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Breitling65 to your Buddy List
GL Photography

Registered: May 7, 2009
Review Date: May 10, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Very responsive - amazing AF tracking even in low light-amazing dynamic range per pixal -hight ISO capabilties.
Cons:

Everything about this camera just feels right and it's just flat out gourgies, if your sceptical about buying this camera rent one for the weekend and I guarantee you will slap your plastic down Monday berfore I type the next word.

Glen

May 10, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add GL Photography to your Buddy List
ohyeah

Registered: Apr 10, 2004
Review Date: May 5, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,000.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Shutter speed, autofocus, dynamic range, IQ, etc.
Cons:
No UDMA support, low res display

I sold my 1D2

May 5, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ohyeah to your Buddy List
musclepics

Registered: Sep 4, 2008
Review Date: Apr 4, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $4,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Autofocus speed (especially in low light), new smart battery (3,000 shots per charge easily), bright sharp LCD, customizable, best HIGH ISO available, 1.3x crop, best per pixel sharpness, color, speed, too much to mention...
Cons:

Best DSLR available, period.

Apr 4, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add musclepics to your Buddy List
Victor Go

Registered: Apr 13, 2007
Review Date: Mar 15, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: A solid camera, never fails me and superb battery life.
Cons:
Can only select 19 out of the 45 AF pts.

I had this camera for like 1.5 years now. It is so reliable that I now become lazy to bring a backup camera during my assignment. Did not encounter any of the AF issues mention under hot temp and bright lighting.

Can check out some of my pics at : http://www.shutterbug.sg

Mar 15, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Victor Go to your Buddy List
R Longenbach

Registered: Apr 23, 2007
Review Date: Feb 22, 2009 Recommend? no | Price paid: $4,500.00 | Rating: 2

Pros: Very nice images (when it focuses correctly)
Cons:
Focus problems, lack of repair support, shoddy repairs, esp. for a professional level camera

I was a 10 year plus Canon user when I decided to go up to the 1D MkIII instead of waiting for the 5D's replacement. I needed a bigger buffer than what the 30D offered, and I needed more than the 3fps the 5D had. So I got the 1D MkIII.

And mine did have the AF problem. It went in for service before the recall, then it had the recall work done. The recall work did not fix the problem. I lost too many shots where the focus point was properly on my subject and the camera decided to focus elsewhere in the image. So in the end, while the pics it creates are beautiful (when they are in focus!), I decided to switch brands because I have to be able to trust my camera. If I wanted a manual focus camera, I would have gotten one. (Also I can swear that the images were focused in the viewfinder on the major ones it missed).

Canon didn't seem to care too much that their camera was broken, which is especially poor considering the "professional" designation that this camera has. After the recall repair, and then having continuing missed images, I sent it in again for another repair before switching. I finally decided to switch after Canon posted the blurb officially that the 1D MkIII's AF was the best of any previous Canon camera. This was a slap in my face, especially considering my own personal problems with mine, and the fact I had better results from my old EOS-3.

Feb 22, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add R Longenbach to your Buddy List
Bert 1969

Registered: May 13, 2008
Review Date: Jan 31, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Superb handling, ergonomics, great IQ needs little post processing, very fast AF, build quality, battery live is great. etc.
Cons:
Auto WB could be a litlle beter, but thats almost the case with every body. Is it a pitty that display only has 230.000 pixels which makes it sometimes hard to check the sharpness of details.

At that time is was coming from a Nikon D200 and I switched to Canon because of the far beter High Iso controle because I'm mainly shooting at low light conditions.

Read about the 1D MarkIII and its superb High Iso. Bought a 30D for the time being and ordered the MarkIII (which was not on the market yet). In August 2007 I got the call fom the store that the Mark III was in but at that time I heard and read a lot about the AF problems so I cancelled the MarkIII and bought the 40D in October of that year.

But coming from the Nikon D200 a was not happy with the 30D/40D body, it did not feel right in my hands (except from the much better High Iso). So when finally the AF problems were fixed I bought the 1D MarkIII in May 2008.

Now after 9 months I can say that I do not regraet it one day. I LOVE THIS CAMERA. I completly forgot the Nikon Bodies. They say once you have owned a 1D you never go back and I think that's no lie. Best camera I ever owned.

I can imaging the negative comments this cam got due to the AF problems and the long time it took to fix it. But it is a pitty now that this camera is fixed it is too "old" to review it again and many new cameras came after this cam.

But I honestly think it can still match the new camera's of today like the D3 and the D700.

Jan 31, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Bert 1969 to your Buddy List
krobatshov

Registered: Jan 22, 2006
Review Date: Dec 30, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: handy, reliable, accurate in low light situations
Cons:

Being a semi-professional wedding photographer, a device with a large sensor and precise/accurate AF mechanism is essential.

1.3x is a good compromise between 1.6x and full frame - if you need a reliable camera, the 1D3 is the right choice.

High Iso noise is on par with the "newer" full frame cameras recently announced by nikon/canon, the only downside is the AF when shooting sports - yea, it comes up to the negative hype - but that's just 5% of the case.

Other than that, I'm quite happy with the results.

Dec 30, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add krobatshov to your Buddy List
Leehman

Registered: Mar 29, 2005
Review Date: Dec 27, 2008 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Fast frame rate, great color, low noise with hight ISO,
Cons:
The time it is taking me to learn to operate.

Had a lot of issues with the camera at first but we all know that. Since the trip back to Canon the camera is flawless.

This was my first camera of this caliber. The learning curve is very steep. All the pages of my manual are worn thin and dog eared. In the end it is one incredible camera.

Dec 27, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Leehman to your Buddy List
epphoto

Registered: Apr 24, 2005
Review Date: Dec 20, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,700.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: IQ is awesome ,fast,battery life,build like a tank,size,weather selling,ISO,and Build Quality
Cons:
cfn settings ! to many and some time to confusing :)

Man!!! what a camera , I'm shooting it for year and six months now and i love it ,It's fast and the IQ its unbelievable,
I shot late night football , bull riding, and Polo with 6400 ISO and my 500mm IS and i got some super pictures
Photographers complaining about the focusing issues , but i did not experience any.Then I cant give you any feedback on that issue SmileI will buy this camera again without any questions, I'm working as a photographer for the Beaver County Travel and Tourism Center in Pennsylvania, and i use this camera in lots events and sport events also
with out any problem at all, It gets my 10 any day in any type of shooting situation, rain or dry, cold, or hot my 1D mark III it will be with me until the new mark IIII comes out
you will find some pictures i took with the camera in my website www.epphoto.net

Dec 20, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add epphoto to your Buddy List
Bruce Sawle

Registered: Sep 26, 2006
Review Date: Dec 17, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $4,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: IQ, Build, Auto focus, Hogh ISO,
Cons:
All the bad press this camera has recieved

This is one of the best Cameras on the market today. All the bad press from the infamous auto focus issues has left many people with a bad taste in there mouth. This IMHO is the best all around camera. The Images this camera produces are magical. Combine that with its incredible High ISO ability 1.3 sensor, and lighting fast and accurate autofocus in low lowlight makes this camera the perfect camera for Sports, wildlife, weddings and studio.

Dec 17, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Bruce Sawle to your Buddy List
AFC168

Registered: Oct 21, 2008
Review Date: Nov 1, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $4,048.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Crisp, clear shots of moving objects!
Cons:
Cost

Great camera. I've only had this and a 5D, and this camera blows away the 5D when photographing moving objects.

Nov 1, 2008