Canon EOS 1D Mark III

140 188045 Mar 27, 2014
1DmkIII

Canon's flagship EOS-1D Mark III is the most advanced EOS Digital SLR ever produced. It has a new 10.1 megapixel CMOS sensor (APS-H size) with Canon's EOS Integrated Cleaning System and a 3.0-inch LCD monitor with Canon's Live View technology. The 1D Mark III has a redesigned 100% viewfinder, a new 45-point AF system, and can shoot up to 10 fps continuously with a maximum burst of 110 shots. Dual "DIGIC III" Image Processors work in tandem to speed up every process while refining image quality; a new, lighter body has improved weather sealing and shutter durability. Every facet of the EOS experience has been enhanced with the 1D Mark III. It's the new standard.

- Entirely new 10.1 Megapixel Canon CMOS Sensor (APS-H size, 1.3x lens conversion factor), featuring the EOS Integrated Cleaning System

- World's fastest digital SLR: shooting up to 10 fps, with a burst rate up to 110 full-resolution JPEG images or 30 RAW images
- All new high-precision AF system with 19 user-selectable AF points and 26 additional "assist points"; superior low-light performance and faster operation

- New lighter body with enhanced weather resistance and outstanding reliability: featuring a shutter that's durability-tested to 300,000 exposures

- Dual "DIGIC III" Image Processors work with new CMOS sensors to produce superb image quality; new Highlight Tone Priority option adds control of bright highlights

- Large 3.0-inch LCD monitor, featuring Live View function

- Fully compatible with over 50 EF lenses and a wide range of EOS System accessories

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9  next

Andre Goli

Registered: Feb 20, 2007
Review Date: Apr 7, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: No more bulky grips Amazing AF for moving object Battery life (wow) Lots of customizable functionnalities 1.3x nice to have for longer lenses when you already got another FF Fast (120 frames/seconds) File not too heavy because only 10Mp Built like a rock
Cons:
Considering the new Mark4, would have loved to be 12mp because too close from the 1DII (8Mp) and far from the 1DIV (16Mp) No videos Noise after 3200 iso

After owning several FF like 5D and 5DII, wanted to try something faster and more professional... Got that one with a good price, and I am still amazed by its speed to focus, and to track moving subjects. Even the 85L I became very fast, even in low lite. Although I will keep my 5Ds for portrait, this one is becoming my walkaround. Perfect match with the my 85L and my 70-200L 2.8 for bokeh and IQ...
To make it short, even coming from the 5DII, this one is impressive... Will be perfect as a couple with the 5DII with eveything which is missing in the MarkIII from the MarkIV (low lite noise, big files and video) and which is into the 5DII. So I highly recommand it to anyone who already own a 5DII !

Apr 7, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Andre Goli to your Buddy List
joshkrause

Registered: Oct 8, 2009
Review Date: Mar 28, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,150.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Feels great, picture quality is astounding, 10fps, focus problems have been corrected and you can purchase one for cheap
Cons:
Heavy when paired with a big zoom lens, 10 fps eats up memory cards if you use it.

I love this camera. I had a 50D and a 7D and I sold the 50D to purchase a used 1D m3 and now I'm preparing to sell my 7D to get another. This camera is amazing.

The focusing is so fast, I love the 2000+ photo battery life, it fits my hand much better than a 7D with a grip, that's for sure.

I'm still figuring out the best setting for the AF servo, as it has many options and it does tend to jump around with focusing if you have the wrong settings. But when set properly, it's beautiful.

The best way to describe it:

"After driving a Ferrari, even a Porsche feels cheap."

Mar 28, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add joshkrause to your Buddy List
buddyRoland

Registered: Oct 30, 2008
Review Date: Mar 22, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,699.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Super fast and low noise, clean shots.
Cons:
Coming from normal SLRs, you must read before you use it but maybe that's not a negative. Heavy is the price for excellence.

Being a relative newcomer to photography I read alot about this camera being taking the dive. I purchased it from Adorama refubished to save some money instead of buying new but also for peace of mind because it came with a one year Adorama warranty (yes I know it sells cheaper used instead of refurbished) and because I also purchased a 5DMK2 blemish-free refurb.

This camera was not 100% blemish free but it is 98% blemish free and the functionality is perfect. I had to get adjusted to using it initially because of the mostly manual functions compared to my other cameras. Thanks for the the smart-aleck members that gave prior 1DMK3 members a hard time when they asked for help because I lurked in the background and used the good, bad and the ugly advice to help me learn how to use this beast or rather get started using it.

It is a beast but the usable shots it produces compared to my 5DMK2 and 50D are on another level. It is heavy but I am over-joyed when I pull the pictures from the card. My suggestions to those that want to get one is read, read, read and don't ask for guidance unless tou want to get ripped. There are some excellent members that give good advice, hence the reason I purchased this camera.

Last thing, get used to shooting manual because this is where this baby shines.

Mar 22, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add buddyRoland to your Buddy List
RikWriter

Registered: Jun 22, 2004
Review Date: Feb 27, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Focus speed and accuracy, durability, burst rate, image quality, high ISO performance, versatility.
Cons:
LCD is useless in bright light.

I bought the MKIII with a bit of trepidation, give the reputation it had for focus problems, but after using it for over a year, I have had not one focus problem with it. It is definitely the best body I have used in every aspect. Its high ISO performance is as good as that of my 5D, which was excellent. Its IQ is tops and its focus speed is blazing fast.
Incredible camera.

Feb 27, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add RikWriter to your Buddy List
schristie11

Registered: Jan 12, 2010
Posts: 2082
Review Date: Feb 18, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,800.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Ultra Fast Shutter Action, Great AWB, Excellent AF, Auto ISO shift and limits, Shutter and Aperture limits for TV and AV modes, improved button placement and image playback.

The Ultimate DSLR!

Feb 18, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add schristie11 to your Buddy List
Icebird

Registered: Feb 11, 2010
Review Date: Feb 11, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,700.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Build,easy handling,IQ,battery life,workhorse,weathersealing,viewfinder
Cons:
LCD screen resolution could be better.

I came from a 40D and that was also a very nice camera.
The build and the feels of the 1D series are awesome,even as the image quality.
The menu structure is easy and within a couple of hours you are familiar with the buttons and how this camera works.

I do aspect a lot of fun and great pictures from this camera.

Feb 11, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Icebird to your Buddy List
pjbuehner

Registered: Jan 10, 2010
Review Date: Feb 7, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Solid, dependable, very good ISO performance. Great IQ.
Cons:

I have upgraded to a mark IV but am keeping my mark III because it is still a fantastic camera. Mint bodies are going for around $2,000 now and IMHO is the best deal on a camera out there. An absolute steal.

Feb 7, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add pjbuehner to your Buddy List
lpazxxsh

Registered: May 31, 2005
Review Date: Feb 6, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Professional bulid quality, Image quality, long battery life, 10fps
Cons:

I shoot mostly weddings with this camera and with all the AF servo tracking issues related to this camera , is a none factor for me since i shoot one shot and no AF servo. 10mp is easier and faster to process and takes up less storage space. So upgrading to a MK4 is really not advantagious. I absolutely love this camera! i loved it so much i bought another one. I also own a 1D MKIIn, it's collecting dust now.

The images from the MK3 compared to my MK2n is night and day. Its just blows away the Mk2n. Both my MK3's are yellow and blue dot. The only problem i'm having is part of the rubber from one camera was lifting off just under the delete button, but i used some contact cement and it hasn't given me any problems since.

I expect to keep this camera/s for a long time so i'm going to be investing more into lenses now.

Feb 6, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add lpazxxsh to your Buddy List
sinbad747

Registered: Sep 4, 2007
Review Date: Dec 27, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,250.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Solid build, image quality, fast AF, battery life, custom functions.
Cons:
Takes some getting use to.

I am coming to this camera late in it's life, which is fine with me since I got a fantastic price on a GREAT camera. I traded my 7D and cash for this camera and could not be happier. It is build like a tank. For sports, it is still up there with the best of them at 10 fps. I know about the focusing problems, but for the most part, with the Canon fixes, that is a thing of the past, which unfortunitly has hurt it's resale value. That being said, with the MK 4 coming out people are giving them away. Give it a try, at $2K it is probably one of the best deals out there.

Marvin

Dec 27, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add sinbad747 to your Buddy List
Crossczechfoto

Registered: Jan 25, 2008
Review Date: Dec 27, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: AF performance is very good. Build quality (like a tank), High ISO, AF-on button,
Cons:
Having to listen to so many complain about it.

Go ahead and read all about this camera as you will hear either awesome or worst camera ever.

Well I have 2 of them and I am very happy. Both of them have been to Canon for all of the AF fixes and they both work wonderfully.

Go ahead as you can now get them for a song. Send em' in to Canon and get the updates and you will find out that this is actually a very good camera.

Dec 27, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Crossczechfoto to your Buddy List
misterphil

Registered: Jan 14, 2009
Review Date: Dec 2, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Solid build, image quality, fast AF, battery life, custom functions.
Cons:
?

This is one well built camera.
The custom functions need to be set up for your needs to get the most out of it. When set up correctly this camera produces. IQ is just lovely. The AF is fast and accurate. No doubt you will be aware of AF issues on some bodies, all I can say is don't let the minority be the judges for the majority. Try one for yourself and make up your own mind, I did and I couldn't be happier.

Dec 2, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add misterphil to your Buddy List
Fnurck

Registered: Feb 6, 2006
Review Date: Nov 27, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: where its all about: fast, IQ, build
Cons:
no fast preference switch like the newer ones, lcd screen

Very fast in different aspects, fast AF, fast shooting. Sometimes I don't know if he AF can keep up with the machine gun alike shutter speed.
The IQ can be outstanding. My old 5D doesn't seen the light anymore since I've the lucky owner of this 1D. (The IQ of the 5D is on a high level too I know, but...)
However, an important disadvantage is the lcd screen, you can't rely on it for judging the sharpness of a shot. At home I'm often surprised by the quality of a particular image.

Nov 27, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Fnurck to your Buddy List
AbramG

Registered: Jan 30, 2006
Review Date: Nov 22, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Brutally fast, awesome IQ, very usable high ISO, super rugged, great battery life
Cons:
low resolution LCD, Bad reputation ;)

I absolutely adored this camera, I only traded it because I wasn't shooting sports as much and I wanted to try the 5DMKII out.

That being said I plan on buying another one ASAP!

This camera is just fantastic, it's sad to see that it has such a bad reputation because some of the early models had buggy AF, the issue got blown up entirely too much.

With the Canon sanctioned fixes my mkIII was working like a champ. I miss it dearly and I can't wait to buy another one!

Nov 22, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add AbramG to your Buddy List
bluefox9er

Registered: May 10, 2007
Review Date: Nov 16, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: f-a-s-t, robust and the battery that lasts for ever..
Cons:
the lcd screen is cruddy, only good for checking histogram

wow...p-h-e-m-o-n-e-n-a-l

this is the mother of all cameras. this isn't a jack of all trades, instead it's a master of ALL.

don't listen to those morons who say that the 1dmkIII is for sports and wildlife only..it's also canon endorsed for weddings, and can take landscapes of such quality it will leave you gasping for breath.

this really is a seriously FAST camera..it focuses instantly and has so many,many,may customisable functions.

I am stunned that anyone would consider a camera that isn't the 1dmkIII...simplythe most versatile DSLR in the world.

buy one and you will become a convert, too.

my only gripe is that the rear lcd quality is poor, but IQ is the best I have ever seen, and usable at iso32000.

seriously. buy one.

Nov 16, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add bluefox9er to your Buddy List
kapytalyst

Registered: Jun 13, 2006
Review Date: Nov 9, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Autofocus Accuracy, Image Quality up to 3,200 ISO, Build, Functionality, Speed
Cons:
Negative aura

Fantastic camera which rivals the 1ds MII in image quality and bests it in speed. Simply a "can-do" everything camera. Amazing photographic tool.

Nov 9, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add kapytalyst to your Buddy List
tcgoh

Registered: Mar 28, 2005
Review Date: Oct 10, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $4,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Speed (fps and focus), egronomics, robust EOS 1 body, selectable focusing points, enough custom functions to satisfy most...
Cons:
Weight

I had this camera since it was launched. I traded up from its predecessor, the 1D2.

I don't seem to have much AF issues but I may just be lucky. However, I did send the camera back to Canon each time they issued a recall.

Exposure can sometimes be wrong with the EOS 580 II (under). I think this may be due to the limitations of the flash software (or me!). However, I get around this by snapping two shots and checking on the LCD before moving on.

Oct 10, 2009