Tamron 11-18mm F/4.5-5.6 Di II LD Aspherical [IF]

9 60591 Mar 31, 2012
8.4
11_18mm

Di II: Lenses are designed for exclusive use on digital cameras with smaller-size imagers and inherit all of the benefits of our Di products. These lenses are not designed for conventional cameras and digital cameras with image sensors larger than 24mm x 16mm.

This new super wide-angle zoom lens, designed for exclusive use with digital SLR cameras using a sensor smaller than full frame, provides the extended focal length covering 17mm (when converted to 35mm format) that is desired by today's advanced and pro photographers using digital SLRs. The lens features an entirely new optical system designed for optimal performance with digital SLR cameras.

Model A013
Lens Construction (Groups/Elements) 12/15
Angle of View 103-75
Type of Zooming Rotation
Diaphragm Blade Number 7
Maximum Aperture F/4.5-5.6
Minimum Focus Distance 0.25m (9.8")
Macro Magnification Ratio 1:8
Mount Canon AF-D, Sony/Maxxum AF-D, Nikon AF-D

E.Kase

Registered: Feb 12, 2012
Review Date: Mar 31, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $350.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Very sharp, very wide, distortion not bad from 15-18mm.
Cons:
Slow focus, CA. Alot of CA if you don't have a camera that corrects it.

I love this lens, it is definitely my most used glass, tho it does have its drawbacks. First with the good. It is very sharp at all settings, I really am shocked at the sharpness from such a wide zoom. The distortion is drastic at 11mm, but at 18mm it is VERY good, way better than any Nikon wide-zoom I've used. I find myself using it between 15-18mm alot because of the lack of distortion. I shoot alot of seascapes and distortion is critical for me. Flare is very controlled, I rarely see any at all. WAY better than my full frame Sigma 20-40mm f2.8 EX. Zoom is nice and loose as is the manual focus. No aperture ring, which I don't like. You can use this on film/fx as well, I get decent shots down to 15mm, so this doubles as an FX lens for me as well, which is a big plus.

There are a few pretty bad negative tho. First and foremost is the CA. It really gets out of had shooting sunsets. It was unbearable with my D80, but my D300 corrects most of them, tho some still sneak thru. Next is the focus which is terrible on my copy. Super slow and hunts quite a bit. This suprised me as most WA's are quick. Can be quite frustrating at times. Also, I use ND and NDGRADS alot and I do get some vignetting with this at the wide end. Definitely no stacking or it gets bad.

All in all, the sharpness and IQ are good enough for me to deal with the bad in PP and not worry about it. I do wish it went to 24mm as well.

Mar 31, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add E.Kase to your Buddy List
phreeky82

Registered: Aug 22, 2005
Review Date: Feb 12, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Wide, light-weight, cheap, very sharp in the centre.
Cons:
F/4.5-5.6, focusing is a little slow, a little soft at the edges, 77mm filters.

In value-for-money terms I am very happy with this lens. It's nice and light and relatively small (feels like about 1/2 the weight of my Tamron 28-75). Like most reviews I saw it is pin-point sharp in the centre even wide open, I was positively surprised.

On the negative side, it's a somewhat slow lens but you know that when you're buying, and it keeps it small and light. The focusing is a tad slow, but given it's an ultra-wide it doesn't cause an issue (still faster than canon kit lenses). The edges are not razor sharp, but not terrible either. CA towards the edges does show however.

In absolute terms I think it's a "good" lens. At over AU$200 less than any viable alternatives however (i.e. sigma 10-20) I think it's exceptional value.

Feb 12, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add phreeky82 to your Buddy List
stephen china

Registered: Dec 23, 2006
Review Date: May 26, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Excellent image quality,light and compact,good value.
Cons:

This is the first ultra wide lens I have used so I have no comparison s with other lenses but I am very happy with the results I have achieved.Colour rendition is very accurate and detail is sharply reproduced,also the lens is nicely built and finished.It is also worth noting that this lens will produce a better result on a Canon camera than on a Nikon because the optics are the same for both but the Canon has a 1.6 crop compared to 1.5 on the Nikon so the optically imperfect outer edges will not be used by the Canon (a nice bonus for Canon users!!)

May 26, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add stephen china to your Buddy List
Gaby Jalbert

Registered: Nov 23, 2006
Review Date: May 9, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Great price for a wide angle. Well built. Good image quality, reasonably low distorsion. Great for shooting home interiors. Excellent quality/price ratio.
Cons:
Would be nice if manual focus could overide the autofocus (like it does on the Canon 10-22mm). Focus can be slow and noisy depending on what usage you're planning (example: focusing from .28feet to infinity). For shooting home interiors focus is definatly not a problem AT ALL.

Great lens, received it today. I used a 10-22mm before (also a great lens), but for the price difference and considering the overall quality, I think the Tamron 11-18mm is an excellent choice. I can't say I see a big different between the 2 lens in quality except that the Canon's focus is quicker and more silent...oh and about 3-400$ more...I'm very satisfied with my purchase.

May 9, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Gaby Jalbert to your Buddy List
slinkybear

Registered: Jul 15, 2005
Review Date: Apr 24, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $400.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: light weight
Cons:

I have had this lens for 2 months now and have really enjoyed shooting with it. Landscapes are no problem. I have had very little problems inside of castles and palaces with out a flash. I have not tried any of the other UWA lens so I can not compare it with them. It is pretty solid but has the plastic feel,but that is why it weights next to nothing. If you can get it for the price I paid it is a great lens for the price.

Apr 24, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add slinkybear to your Buddy List
sdpaula

Registered: Sep 16, 2005
Review Date: Sep 9, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $569.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Very sharp, good color, build quality, light weight.
Cons:

I was looking for a wide zoom for architectural interior and exterior photography. I have a relatively long amount of time to shoot each image, so speed was not an issue. I first tried the Canon 10-22 but found it to be too soft overall. The Tamron has been a better lens for me.

Sep 9, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add sdpaula to your Buddy List
cresus

Registered: Jun 24, 2005
Review Date: May 15, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $400.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Image quality, color, sharpness
Cons:
distortions, slow focus

I've been happy with this lens. Some of my best photos have come from this. I've taken pictures with it and compared to the Canon 10-22 and not been able to tell any differences so I must have a good copy. Images were always very sharp and had great color and contrast.

May 15, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add cresus to your Buddy List
p5freak

Registered: Sep 26, 2003
Review Date: Apr 3, 2007 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 6

Pros: Lightweight, compact size
Cons:
Loose focus ring, corner sharpness not good, doesnt feel very solid

I wasnt very impressed with my sample of that lens, its not a even a x2 lens, and its kinda slow at f4.5-5.6. I dont think its worth the money i paid for it.

Apr 3, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add p5freak to your Buddy List
J-Simon

Registered: Feb 6, 2007
Review Date: Mar 4, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $350.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Unexpensive, light and doesn't have softness issue like the Sigma 10-20. Lines stay relatively straight, even at 11mm. 6 year warranty
Cons:
This lens is one stop slower than the Sigma 10-20mm. This is not an issue for landscape photographer who'll shoot at f8+ anyway, but for sport or low light hand held situation it is quite annoying. Since this lens is made mostly of plastic unlike its Sigma counter part, it feels cheap and fragile. The screw type focus motor is very slow, and sometimes the focus is slightly off, which rarely happen on my other lenses.

I got it brand new, on discount, for 400$ Can which is about 350$ USD. The suggested retail price is 800$ Can but I doubt anybody still sell those at that price.
For the same price, the Sigma 10-20mm is a much better deal if you can get a sharp copy.

Mar 4, 2007