Tamron 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical [IF]

189 386851 Dec 9, 2013
8.7
1750diII

Di II: Lenses are designed for exclusive use on digital cameras with smaller-size imagers and inherit all of the benefits of our Di products. These lenses are not designed for conventional cameras and digital cameras with image sensors larger than 24mm x 16mm.

The SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 is a lightweight, compact, fast standard zoom lens designed exclusively for digital SLR cameras, expanding the product concept of the popular SP AF28-75mm F/2.8 zoom lens.

In addition, portrait shots are made beautiful with the natural out-of-focus effect characteristic provided by the fast F/2.8 aperture. Additionally, a broader photographic expression through the use of faster shutter speeds as a result of the maximum aperture offers enhanced photographic pleasure. The lens boasts one of the best close-up shooting performances in the class of fast standard zoom lenses designed exclusively for digital cameras and featuring an F/2.8 maximum aperture throughout the entire zoom range, to ensure stress-free photographic shots at all focal lengths and distances.

Model A016
Lens Construction (Groups/Elements) 13/16
Angle of View 7845'-3111' (APS-C size equivalent)
Type of Zooming Rotation
Diaphragm Blade Number 7 (Circular apertures)
Minimum Aperture F/32
Minimum Focus Distance 10.6in.(0.27m)
Macro Magnification Ratio 1:4.5 (at f=50mm MFD 0.27m)
Filter Diameter 67
Weight 430g (15.2oz)
Diameter x Length 2.9 x 3.2in.
(74.0 x 81.7mm)
Accessory Flower shaped lens hood
Mount Canon AF, Sony/Maxxum AF-D, Nikon AF-D

marconis

Registered: Aug 12, 2008
Review Date: Dec 26, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $417.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp, constant 2.8 aperture, good focus
Cons:
slight focus buzz

First I compared it at 50mm against my Canon 50mm f1.4 at 2.8, 4 and 11 apertures and it was comparable. Slight softness zoomed in at pixels off-center at 2.8 but overall very sharp. Used tripod and spot focus on same detailed object.

Then I compared it at 20mm against my Canon 20mm f2.8 at 2.8, 4, and 11 apertures. It was as sharp wen zoomed in - looked even sharper - may have been increased contrast. Used tripod and spot focus on same detailed object.

I'm very happy with it. Mine says it was made in Japan. (Together with the Canon 55-250mm IS lens makes a combination that covers the range most amateurs want and both deliver sharpness.)

Small things - I don't lock the lens hood since it seems difficult to remove when that is done. I like the zoom lock for the lens and the front lens cover - can remove it easily even with a hood on.

Dec 26, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add marconis to your Buddy List
pikminsg1

Registered: Nov 14, 2008
Review Date: Dec 9, 2008 Recommend? no | Price paid: $409.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: Good image quality, lightweight, hood included, pinch cap design
Cons:
Very noise AF. I think this bargain lens is still over priced.

Good build, solid zoom ring feel, the zoom lock is nice. My copy seems to be sharper at the longer end then on the wide end. Colors are very warm and deep.

The noise of the AF is unbearable. It is way to loud! I bought the Tamron as my first lens and wanted a bargain price. A year later I have now purchased the cheapo 50 1.8 and my first L 70-200 f4 IS. Wow, picture quality has increased ten folds. Aside from the 50 1.8 I will never buy a lens for it's bargain price. For me the money spent on a quality lens is well worth it in the long run. Lesson learned.

In conclusion it's a good bargain quality lens but I'm just not satisfied with it's overall performance.

Dec 9, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add pikminsg1 to your Buddy List
joyz

Registered: Aug 31, 2008
Review Date: Nov 27, 2008 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Fast & cheap for constant f2.8
Cons:
Quality control is a Joke! Tested 4 copies and all bad

Went and bought this lens 2 months ago and gone thru 4 copies. (grrr)

1st copy: Front focus and deep scratch on metal mount
2nd copy: There's a black object (1mm long) inside lens (back)
3rd copy: Dust inside lens (front)
4th copy: Lens front focus badly

All prospect buyers are advised to check their lens thouroughly and always buy from local shop so you can exhange lens easily

Nov 27, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add joyz to your Buddy List
joyz

Registered: Aug 31, 2008
Review Date: Nov 26, 2008 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Cheap for constant 2.8
Cons:
Quality Control is a JOKE. Tested 4 Copies and all bad.

Believe it or not, I went and buy this lens months ago and went thru 4 copies and still no good. At the end I just asked for a refund. and the worst thing is that this is "Made in Japan". The next batch would be from China.
I really wish I can get a good copy with this lens.

1st copy: Lens front focus and deep scratch at the metal mount.
2nd copy: A big debris inside lens (back)
3rd copy: Dust inside lens (front)
4th copy: Lens front focus badly

I seriously ask for prospect buyers to check their lens thoroughly and buy from a local shop so you can exchange easily

Nov 26, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add joyz to your Buddy List
gberger

Registered: Apr 29, 2006
Review Date: Nov 25, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $370.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp lens, half the price of Canon.
Cons:
None really. It is a little noisier focusing than Canon, but to me this is nitpicking.

I had to return the first copy of this lens, it was out of focus in the top left 15% of the image. The second copy, however, is sharp as a tack. Just an incredible lens. I was ready to go for the Canon version after the first copy, I"m glad I didn't. I wouldn't mind spending the money if I thought I was getting something for it, but this lens leaves nothing to be desired. IS is great, I love it on my 70-200L, but for this focal length and size I don't feel I need it.

Nov 25, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add gberger to your Buddy List
vinke

Registered: Apr 8, 2004
Review Date: Nov 23, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $395.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Relative to its price, everything positive: sharp, fast w/ constant 2.8, minimum distortion, flare and artifacts. Relatively small and light. Build quality and AF noise could be better, but then I'd expect to pay more for it, too.

Nov 23, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add vinke to your Buddy List
jchopick

Registered: Nov 5, 2008
Review Date: Nov 21, 2008 Recommend? no | Price paid: $400.00 | Rating: 3

Pros: Price, Appearance
Cons:
Heavy,Slow,Not Sharp as Nikon Lens, Front Focus, F-- Errors

Problem:

A Colleague and I bought this lense and had nothing but issues starting with constantly getting F-- Errors on our Nikon D80's. We do not get those errors with our Nikon Lenses. Also both lenses seem to focus off target, Mostly much lower than where we were actually focusing. I am sure that we both got a bad copy, but if this is what to expect from other than Nikon Lenses. We have both agreed to stick to Nikon Lenses.

Sharpness:

The Images were also not as sharp as my 18-135mm stock lens by a mile.

Build Quality:

This lense was very heavy on the D80 compared to even the 70-300mm VR Lense. The Appearance and feel was nice, but it just didn't measure up.

Conclusion:

Gumbo Lens! We returned both the lenses!

Nov 21, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jchopick to your Buddy List
jcw1982

Registered: Sep 14, 2005
Review Date: Nov 14, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: nice build, sharpness, good color and contrast, price
Cons:
none really

I had pretty much stayed away from wide zooms, the Canons I could afford didn't impress me much, and a couple third-party lenses I had tried left much to be desired. I was using wide primes, a 24 and a 35 before deciding to give this lens a try, thanks mainly to the good reviews it had gotten here on FM.
After owning for awhile, I have to admit I like it. The lens has a nice build to it; to zoom ring is nice and firm with no play in it. The focus ring is smooth, and has a very short "throw"-going from infinity to the closest focusing distance with only a slight turn of the ring. It does not have internal zooming so the lens does get longer when zoomed out to 50mm but not too bad. The included lens hood attaches firmly and locks into place.
Some have mentioned the lack of USM on this lens and the noise of the motor. It is a little noiser than Canon USM lenses, but quieter than Canon-made lenses without USM from my experience. Also, the short throw of the focus ring when focusing means the motor isn't required as much when subject distances change.
Comparing the images from the Tamron to other Canon lenses I have owned/used(17-40, 20-35, 28-105, 24, 35) I find the Tamron images comparable, and in a couple cases superior. For the price of the lens and the performance I have seen from mine, I am glad I bought it and have no regrets picking it over the Canon product.

Nov 14, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jcw1982 to your Buddy List
skibum5

Registered: Jan 20, 2005
Review Date: Oct 13, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: ridiculously sharp, colors and contrast not bad, very compact, incredibly low CA on the long end, excellent build (it has survived things that would've destroyed some L's!)
Cons:
noisy AF, AF not good at AI servo

truly superb lens

it survived an 6' drop onto hard concrete with nothing more than the $3 front filter ring cracked and flew off the car seat to the floor with no issue and into the sand at the beach with no harm (otoh it seems to be sneaky and likes to fall! over my entire photography life this lens accounts of 3 of my 4 drops ever!)

sold the 17-40L with no regrets after getting this lens

Oct 13, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add skibum5 to your Buddy List
wuping

Registered: Sep 24, 2005
Review Date: Oct 10, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Lightweight, compact, fast and sharp
Cons:
Other than just a little noisywhen focusing.

I have been shooting with this lens for about 8 months now from news events, weddings and snapshots of the family. The image quality is amazing for the price and sharp at 2.8. No regrets buying the Tamron over the Canon equivilant.

Oct 10, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add wuping to your Buddy List
twistedlim

Registered: Oct 20, 2004
Review Date: Oct 9, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp at 2.8. Good contrast wide open. Edges are the best I have seen in this zoom range.
Cons:
Had to go back to tamron as it was soft on one side. Came back perfect. Can misfocus in low light.

Over all a very nice lens. After being sent back it came in sharp (sharper than 17-55) the entire zoom range. Excellent edge sharpness after fix. Reasonably light and compact. A very nice value.

Oct 9, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add twistedlim to your Buddy List
zakb7

Registered: Apr 25, 2005
Review Date: Oct 6, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: good zoom range, good image quality, hood included, f/2.8, accurate focus, pinch cap
Cons:
noisy focus motor, 67mm filter size, zoom twists opposite of Canon zooms, rear cap only screws on in one position

This is a good crop-sensor alternative to more fragile kit lenses. Of course, its best feature is that it opens up to f/2.8 across the zoom range. That fact alone would make me take a hard look at it.

It works well mechanically; focus is accurate and on par with non-USM Canon lenses speedwise. As many others have noted, it is rather noisy when hunting for focus, though not nearly loud enough to disturb a wedding ceremony or a recital.

It's sharp enough wide open, and very sharp stopped down. Some barrel distortion is present at 17mm. 67mm filter size is a small nuisance, just means you probably don't have any extra filters lying around that'll fit.

f/2.8 is a great feature, especially at the 50mm end. You'll get shots with this lens you can't get with slower f/3.5-5.6 models.

Overall, I'd recommend it to someone with a crop-sensor camera who was looking for a good walk-around zoom lens that opens up to f/2.8.

Oct 6, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add zakb7 to your Buddy List
ibizargak

Registered: Nov 19, 2004
Review Date: Oct 3, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $374.00 | Rating: 5

Pros: Fast focusing, light, reasonable price, solid build.
Cons:
Inconsistent AF. Lack of IS at this price DOES matter.

It took me a while to realize this lens was focusing inconsistently. In fact until I did some super zooming with the LiveView function on my new XSi I had no idea how sharp this lens could be - if properly focused. I had received the camera with the EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens kit lens. Which was a decent little lens, just too slow for me I believed. I also had no idea how much I have come to rely on IS after using the Canon 17-85 for years. Again I believed this lens was too slow for me. I thought long and hard about my lens choice for this camera body, and this was the best I could reasonably afford. The Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS is insanely expensive. I can say that even slightly out-of-focus this lens is as sharp as the EF-S 17-85 was. Colors are a little neutral but I've corrected that in camera functions. It focuses quickly and the noise you supposedly hear is so short in duration as to be scarcely noticeable. I'm going to have this lens re-calibrated and then I believe it's going to be my carry-around lens. But I am extremely disappointed I received a front-focusing copy and I hesitate to recommend this lens because of that. Other wise the sharpness is comparable to my cheap but tack-sharp EF 50mm f/1.8 II.

Oct 3, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add ibizargak to your Buddy List
bollywood1970

Registered: Jun 29, 2006
Review Date: Sep 22, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: A great bang for the buck! Good for lowlight photography. Nice wide angle! Great colour/contrast.
Cons:
Hunts in low light causing focus to not lock in on target, barrel distortion at 17mm. A little on the noisy side. Hood can cast a shadow when using external flash.

I recently used this lens to shoot a wedding in bright and low light conditions and the results were not bad! Here is a sample of the shots taken.

Sep 22, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add bollywood1970 to your Buddy List
MadPriest

Registered: Sep 18, 2008
Review Date: Sep 18, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $638.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Fast, lightweight
Cons:
not too fast when the light is poor

Sep 18, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add MadPriest to your Buddy List
enti

Registered: Nov 20, 2005
Review Date: Sep 14, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: fast, constant aperture, light, nice action, discreet, good lens-cap, excellent grip, lens hood included
Cons:

This is the first non-canon lens I have bought. I was slightly wary, but wanted a general lens for my cropped 450D and felt the Canon equivalent was too big & heavy...I already have a 5D & 24-105 so this is my "lightweight, walk-around" solution.

I have not been disappointed - even when comparing it to Canon lenses much more expensive, this lens feels quality & delivers sharp, accurate photos every time. The relatively small size/weight makes it an ideal match for the smaller EOS bodies.

The image quality is sensational, the manufacturing quality beats some of my Canon lenses and is first class - nice sticky grip, "damped" zoom action, accurate & quick focusing.

In terms of value for money, this takes some beating. I love my L's and will not try to compare this to them, but this tamron compares extremely well to the consumer Canons, yet delivers at a much lower price point.

If I were trying to be critical, the motor is slightly noisy (but not annoyingly so) and I'm so used to Canon zooms that I find the "opposite direction" zoom a bit fiddly (but that is hardly a major concern either).

All in all, an excellent lens, especially for the price.

Sep 14, 2008