Tamron 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical [IF]

189 396459 Dec 9, 2013
8.7
1750diII

Di II: Lenses are designed for exclusive use on digital cameras with smaller-size imagers and inherit all of the benefits of our Di products. These lenses are not designed for conventional cameras and digital cameras with image sensors larger than 24mm x 16mm.

The SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 is a lightweight, compact, fast standard zoom lens designed exclusively for digital SLR cameras, expanding the product concept of the popular SP AF28-75mm F/2.8 zoom lens.

In addition, portrait shots are made beautiful with the natural out-of-focus effect characteristic provided by the fast F/2.8 aperture. Additionally, a broader photographic expression through the use of faster shutter speeds as a result of the maximum aperture offers enhanced photographic pleasure. The lens boasts one of the best close-up shooting performances in the class of fast standard zoom lenses designed exclusively for digital cameras and featuring an F/2.8 maximum aperture throughout the entire zoom range, to ensure stress-free photographic shots at all focal lengths and distances.

Model A016
Lens Construction (Groups/Elements) 13/16
Angle of View 7845'-3111' (APS-C size equivalent)
Type of Zooming Rotation
Diaphragm Blade Number 7 (Circular apertures)
Minimum Aperture F/32
Minimum Focus Distance 10.6in.(0.27m)
Macro Magnification Ratio 1:4.5 (at f=50mm MFD 0.27m)
Filter Diameter 67
Weight 430g (15.2oz)
Diameter x Length 2.9 x 3.2in.
(74.0 x 81.7mm)
Accessory Flower shaped lens hood
Mount Canon AF, Sony/Maxxum AF-D, Nikon AF-D

cburdick1

Registered: May 4, 2009
Review Date: Nov 8, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $425.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Low price, good build quality, 6 year warranty, awesome customer service, great image quality
Cons:
No image stability in this model, but I find that I don't really need it.

I purchased the 17-50 in June of 2009 and I love this little lens. It is sharp, focuses quickly and provides me with great backgrounds at all focal lengths. This is a great step up from the 18-55 kit lens that comes with many of the Canon crop body cameras.

As for the noisy focusing, I can say that I do not find it a problem. Sure, it isn't as quiet as the USM in my Canon 10-22, but that lens is damn near SILENT when focusing. The Tamron isn't silent, but it's not like "Robocop" as one reviewer said. I take lots of candids of family and friends and no one has remarked at the AF noiso of the lens. Look at it this way: point and shoot cameras make a bunch of noise when zooming and focusing and this lens is no louder than any of those. Sure, during a quiet wedding ceremony it might be a nuisance, however if you are a pro, then you are going to have L glass and not this lens... if you are a guest at the wedding, put your camera down and enjoy the ceremony and shoot candids during the reception.

Nov 8, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add cburdick1 to your Buddy List
Fastkids

Registered: Jul 17, 2010
Review Date: Oct 19, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Nice selective focus. Very good in low light (F2.8)
Cons:
Small AF/MF switch

I bought this lens to replace my Nikkor 18-55 kit lens. I should have done that earlier.
It's a great lens which gives you very nice images in low light situations. It has a very nice DOF (see my 2 first shot examples)

I see lot's of people compaining about the noisy AF. I can't say it's noisy.... Yes it's not completly silent, but it does not make that much noise to me. I can use it during weddings without people really 'hearing' it.

Its razor sharp and the focus just as fast as the kit lens.

Only down side until now (just 2 days my property): Very little AF/MF switch. I have big fingers Wink

Oct 19, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Fastkids to your Buddy List
wadefr

Registered: Oct 6, 2010
Review Date: Oct 6, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Incredible sharpness and detail. f/2.8 aperture. Great Contrast. Solid build. Excellent Warranty (7 years). Light and compact
Cons:
AF hunts in low contrast - lacks accuracy. Short focus ring movement.

I bought this lens to replace my Canon 17-85 IS, which I found lacked sharpness. I was not disappointed. This Tamron lens can take immensely sharp and detailed images, and to date I have not found a sharper more detailed lens.

I also own the Canon 50mm f/1.8 II and 70-200 f4 IS. Some claim the 70-200 is the sharpest zoom lens ever produced. While this lens produces more "keepers" than my Tamron, has faster more accurate focus, and better ergonomics, the Tamron can produce sharper, more detailed photos.

This has been especially true since I upgraded to the Canon 7D (18mp) from the 30D (8mp). In it's sweet spot, the Tamron can keep up with the 18mp resolution - the Canon lens cannot. I'd say the charts at SLRgear.com pretty much exactly match my experience in this regard - and they back up what I say here.

The trick with the Tamron is to focus manually in low contrast scenes. However with a bright contrasty target, the Tarmon AF is deadly accurate.

The Tamron is always on my camera. I only change to other lenses in special situations. It is light, compact and well built. I don't treat my lenses particularly well, and the IQ on the Tamron has not suffered from its many bumps and bruises.

My father has also bought one in pentax mount to replace a whole bag full of lenses and has been similarly impressed.

For amateurs looking to catapult their photography to the next level, or for pros who don't rely on an "L" badge to find customers - I'd highly recommend this lens.

Oct 6, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add wadefr to your Buddy List
marp001

Registered: Aug 23, 2010
Location: Czech Republic
Review Date: Aug 23, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $460.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: image quality, constant max aperture 2.8
Cons:
noisy autofocus, some vignetting on the wide end fully open

I bought this lens as a replacement for the Canon kit lens. I am perfectly satisfied with it and can recommend it to everybody. You would hardly find better lens in this price range.

The lens is sharp and has great image quality, the only downside is that there is some vignetting visible on the wide end when wide open (but that is not a big deal, see for example http://www.flickr.com/photos/martinpilat/4905305533).

The 17-50 range together with the maximum aperture of 2.8 make this lens almost ideal for indoor shots without flash.

I have some pictures taken with this lens in this set on Flickr
(taken with Canon EOS 1000D (Rebel XS)).

Aug 23, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add marp001 to your Buddy List
LPrimeFreak

Registered: Jul 29, 2010
Review Date: Jul 29, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $300.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharp, f2.8, fast AF, cheap, recommend above cheap kitlenses!!!
Cons:
Loud AF (like Robocop that moves)

I started with a 40D + Tamron 17-50 2.8 + Canon 55-250 IS + Canon 50 1.4.

My both friends now bought this same beginners set and are very happy with this for the price.

It's ideal if you're on a budget, the best you can get for the money. Don't buy lousy kitlenses like the Canon 17-85 and definitely no superzoom lenses if you're a bit aware of image quality, but immediately buy this Tamron 17-50 2.8 as your standardzoom.

Most important : it's f2.8 + supersharp + fast AF.

Most "startersmistake" is that people want to have only 1 lens, then you don't need a dslr, buy a 18-270 or something then, a dlsr is made for changing lenses to maintain quality!

If you have more cash, get the best : a second hand Canon 17-55 f2.8 IS. This is the best standardzoom for crop cameras!

I replaced my Tamron with this Canon cause I found a good priced 2nd hand Canon. The only negative point about the Tamron was the loud AF, it reminded me of Robocop walking around :-)

Jul 29, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add LPrimeFreak to your Buddy List
rideklein

Registered: Apr 2, 2010
Review Date: Jun 9, 2010 Recommend? no | Price paid: $375.00 | Rating: 3

Pros: Good-looking lens. Zoom lock.
Cons:
AF is consistently off, hunts a lot, and is very loud.

I own a T1i. The Tamron 17-50 was my second lens purchase, following the 50mm f/1.8 II. I was drawn to it by its performance likenesses (on paper) to the Canon 17-55 and its price. But I was sorely disappointed with the Tamron.

1. It mis-focused probably 75% of the time. I suppose I could have had it calibrated, but there were other issues with the lens that calibration would not have fixed...

2. Its AF hunts a lot in low light. I bought the lens primarily for use in low light situations, not for shallow DOF outdoors.

3. Its AF is very loud. So loud that there are you tube videos capturing how loud it is. Ouch. I mainly shoot family and friends, and candid shots are uncomfortable when the lens is super noisy.

4. It's a good-looking and heavy-constructed lens. In the end though, I think that's all it has going for it.

Jun 9, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add rideklein to your Buddy List
Kurt777

Registered: Jun 7, 2010
Review Date: Jun 7, 2010 Recommend? | Price paid: $400.00

Pros: Sharp, great value, good build, excellent colors
Cons:

I bought this lens to replace kit lens on 20d. I was very surprised by the good quality pics. this is a great alternative to the Canon 17-55 IS with the price about $700 less. Enough to buy a 50mm 1.4 and an 85mm 1.8. Now that's value.

Jun 7, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Kurt777 to your Buddy List
Kurt777

Registered: Jun 7, 2010
Review Date: Jun 7, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros:
Cons:

Jun 7, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Kurt777 to your Buddy List
wassphoto

Registered: Mar 27, 2008
Review Date: Jun 4, 2010 Recommend? no | Price paid: $500.00 | Rating: 5

Pros: Optical quality. Sharp when focus works. fixed f/2.8
Cons:
Focus is very unreliable/hit and miss and very noisy too

Not recommended for serious shooters. Focus on this lens could become a nightmare unless you're only using it for landscapes with very small apertures. Already sold my copy.

Jun 4, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add wassphoto to your Buddy List
Schuit

Registered: Mar 9, 2008
Review Date: Dec 21, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, great colors, light, 67mm filters are relatively cheap, although made of plastic it feels solid
Cons:
Sometimes AF hunts

I bought it together with a Canon 30d and it's been my main lens. I use it for almost 2 years now and I'm very happy with it. Colors are great and sharpness is picobello. Want some examples?

Dec 21, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Schuit to your Buddy List
tonyliau

Registered: Jul 5, 2009
Review Date: Nov 10, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $410.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, lightweight, consistent f/2.8, great focal length for a crop body (27-80mm equivalent), great IQ for the price.
Cons:
IQ (understandably) does not quite compare with the Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS which is nearly three times the price.

This is the lens I grab when I don't feel like lugging my heavy L-glass around. I am willing to sacrifice the slight IQ for the convenience of this light, fast zoom. 17-50mm is perfect on a crop body to walk around with.

Nov 10, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add tonyliau to your Buddy List
Guidenet

Registered: Mar 23, 2008
Review Date: Oct 18, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $299.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very fast, sharp and contrasty.
Cons:
The build quality doesn't match Nikon, but it costs considerably less. The built in motor models whine, chirp and tend to hunt, while the older screw drive models are perfect.

With the screw drive for Nikon F mount, I believe this is the best DX crop camera lens in this particular range. I had a Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 for around six months and was dissapointed in the optical quality. It was soft all around. I sold it and purchased this Tamron because I did want this range and had heard wonderful things about it optically.

I tried several copies of the built in motor with its micro motor instead of sonic ring motor as found that they whines, chirped and hunted focus. I then found a left over brand new screw drive model that they heavily discounted to me. Boy was I happy. This lens performs superbly in all ways. It's fast, doesn't hunt, and is incredibly sharp and contrasty. The only negative if it is, is that it has a warmer cast than the Nikon. If I don't like it, it's easily fixed during processing.

I consider this lens to be a couple notches below the 17-55 f/2.8 Nikon with respect to build quality but a couple of notches above that Nikon in optical quality, at least in my experience. I wish that Tamron would embrace sonic ring type focusing motors like Nikon, Canon, Sigma and others.

Promaster rebadges this lens and can be a real bargain with screw drive models still in stock. They are the same lens.

Oct 18, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Guidenet to your Buddy List
transoptic1

Registered: Apr 1, 2005
Review Date: Oct 12, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Good walkaround for the price, good contrast/saturation, decently sharp
Cons:
AF, tiny manual switch, kind of plasticy

I think this is the best lens in this zoom range, at 2.8 for the price.
I'm ready to upgrade to L glass, but I need to sacrifice a little reach to save bank. I'm thinking the 17-35 2.8L

This lens has served well for a few years, though. Really sharp in the center, stopped down of course; wide open near the edges things get a little fuzzy but nothing hugely disappointing. The colors and contrast are nice, especially on higher-end image sensors.

Auto focus is the Achilles Heel on this lens. It's noisy, searches in low light, and could be faster. It has a tiny switch to switch from auto to manual, which takes a few seconds to find, which can be costly in fast environments. I'm wanting to upgrade to a lens that has full-time manual USM.

But, well worth every dollar I paid.

Oct 12, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add transoptic1 to your Buddy List
stactum

Registered: Jun 5, 2009
Review Date: Aug 26, 2009 Recommend? | Price paid: $409.00

Pros: sharp-sharp-sharp even wide open, fast at 2.8, useful focal length 17-50mm, lightweight
Cons:
build quality could be better, very noisy, fungus-prone, works only on cropped sensor

I had this lens for over a year now and what can I say - no regrets buying it! It is a GREAT lens for the money.

At some point I wanted to switch to Canon EF 24-105mm L IS USM lens as my general purpose that cost about $1000 and I used one from work to do a comparison tests between my Tamron and Canon. No question Canon L have IS, quite and much better build quality, but honestly, when it comes to images I think Tamron was on par or sometimes even better. Colors and sharpness wise it is a great lens for the price you pay.

I had to send mine for service since fungus started to develop on the rear element that cost me $155 to repair and I read on some forums that Tamron lenses are somewhat fungus-prone so you may want to keep that in mind when buying Tamron.

Aug 26, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add stactum to your Buddy List
Janika

Registered: Oct 17, 2005
Review Date: Aug 17, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $400.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Decent price / performance ratio, It is very sharp, built well for the class it's in, Relatively small n light.
Cons:
Front filter ring is lose, where the hood attaches and I see other folks have the same issue.

Got this lens second hand, replacing my 3-year old Sigma 17-70 DC. The Tamron is so much sharper for almost the same price. The build quality and the AF sound are comparable to the Sigma. Noticed, the front filter ring is lose on this lens, where the hood attaches and I see other folks have the same issue. It just wobbles and you can hear it too, but it does not effect image quality. Tamron should fix this issue at no charge!

Aug 17, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Janika to your Buddy List
mattr762

Registered: Mar 3, 2006
Review Date: Aug 16, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $380.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Price. Quality of images. Weight. I love this lens so much I had my work buy one for their camera.
Cons:
Front ring where the hood attaches to rattles and is lose on both my and my works.

I bought this lens several years ago and have taken thousands of photos with it. I haven't taken it off since I got it. It's the perfect walk around lens. I've used it for several weddings, senior pictures family events and vacation and I've never been disappointed with its performance.

Aug 16, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add mattr762 to your Buddy List

Tamron 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical [IF]