Canon EOS Rebel XT (350D)

72 54256 Nov 11, 2011
8.8
rebel_xt

For convenience, ease of use and no-compromise SLR performance, look no further than the EOS Digital Rebel XT. Featuring Canon's Digital Trinity - an 8.0 Megapixel CMOS sensor, Canon's own DIGIC II Image Processor and compatibility with over 50 EF Lenses-the new Digital Rebel XT has an all new lightweight and compact body, improved performance across the board and the easiest operation in its class, simplifying complex tasks and ensuring the perfect shot every time. With intuitive simplicity, powerful performance and unprecedented affordability, the Rebel XT is the EOS digital camera for everyone.

--------------

* High-performance digital SLR with 8.0 Megapixel CMOS Sensor and DIGIC II Image Processor
* Smallest and lightest EOS Digital SLR to date (as of February 2005)
* Fast 3 frames-per-second shooting with a 14 frame burst and 0.2 second startup time
* High-speed, Wide-area 7-point AF with superimposed focusing points
* User-selectable metering patterns, AF modes, custom functions and flash exposure compensation
* Direct Print support with PictBridge compatible printers
* USB 2.0 Hi-Speed interface for quick downloads
* Compatible with more than 50 EF and EF-S Lenses and most EOS System accessories including EX-series Speedlites and a dedicated Battery Grip

Peacefield

Registered: Jan 23, 2008
Review Date: Jan 24, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Light weight, price, overall good quality/functionality
Cons:
8mp, 1.6 crop sensor, plastic body

This was my first digital camera after decades of shooting 35mm film. Though I've had many SLR bodies over the years, my favorite and most reliable was my Pentax k1000 so you know I'm manual-minded and like a lot of control.

I bought my 350D with the 18-55 kit lens for about $750 a couple of years ago. I've been really delighted with it.

My negatives: I could do without some of what I'll call the amateur grade features that Canon includes to make the camera accessible to the point and shoot crowd. Instead, I would have prefered more control over metering and an easier way to manage settings in full manual. I have had no issue with the plastic body. Just recently, though, I bought a 100-400 L zoom lens which is very heavy and I worry about stressing the lens mount. Not a fan of the 1.6 crop sensor, but you know that's what you're buying. The kit lens is not worthless, and I've kept mine for when I'm going to places that are hostile to camera gear like the beach, but a good replacement should be your next purchase.

My positives: The camera is wonderfully light and a pleasure to take on long trips. Image quality, when not compared to pro-grade Canon bodies, is excellent. I find myself fumbling to get my desired settings in Manual mode, but the camera is otherwise very easy to operate.

In sum, this is an EXCELLENT first digital SLR. And depending no your level of interest and available funds, this may be the only DSLR you will ever need, want, or buy. I enjoy the art/hobby aspect of photography and after a couple of years, found the camera limiting and am stepping up, probably to a 5D.

Jan 24, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Peacefield to your Buddy List
William Baker

Registered: Dec 21, 2007
Review Date: Dec 28, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $350.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Price. Easy to use.
Cons:
Small size. Focus points can be unreliable. Kit lens is horrible.

This is an excellent entry level product. I am not a pro and this camera meets my basic needs. It is easy to use. My wife uses it on full auto mode and comes up with good results. We use this for business and personal use. I have done a number of portraits with this camera and achieved excellent results.

It has several settings for amatuers such as the portrait, landscape, etc. I have never used these but I can see how they would be useful for a beginner.

I have had some difficulty with the focusing. My solution was to switch to the mode where you choose your focus point. This seems to work quite well. Also have difficulty seeing the screen outdoors. I believe that others have mentioned these things also.

I recommend buying body only instead of fooling with the abominable kit lens which you will just ended up selling.

In all I am glad that I made this purchase about a year ago. I suspect that in the future I will be passing this camera along to someone else and purchasing something more in line for an advanced amateur maybe the 40D or 5D.

Dec 28, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add William Baker to your Buddy List
Wil Fry

Registered: Nov 19, 2007
Review Date: Nov 19, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $900.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Image quality, ISO performance, perfect entry-level dSLR
Cons:
small LCD, slow burst rate

The way the price has come down on the XT, it's now a perfect buy -- $500 or less for brand new versions. When I paid $900 for it two years ago, it was worth it.

With few disadvantages, and tons of advantages, this can be the best camera for a first-time SLR user.

Despite the oft-bashed plastic exterior, mine was dropped more than once onto hard surfaces and lived to shoot another day. I had over 40,000 exposures on it before I upgraded and gave this one to my wife. (She's now added about 3,000 more exposures.)

Yes, it could have had a better metering system, I hated that mine was silver (when I bought it, I didn't know there was a choice of black!), and the lens included in the kit wasn't all I'd wished for, but overall owning the XT was a wonderful experience.

Nov 19, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Wil Fry to your Buddy List
Sea Dragon Rex

Registered: Oct 28, 2005
Review Date: Oct 5, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $590.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Very good IQ, price for value, ease of use, lightweight and compact.
Cons:
LCD menu hard to read in sunlight unless you scroll down on the menu; no spot metering; easy to inadvertently change drive mode.

I've had this camera of 2 years and have taken about 8000 shots with it. I have used this camera for several trip including Mexico, Canada, the Southwest and Hawaii. The image quality is very nice even when shooting in JPEG mode. I've been quite happy with the detail of prints up to 12x18.

For shooting sports, I've found 3 fps is not fast enough but the AI Servo seems to work fine (just not enough fps).

In other situations, the Center weighted metering just doesn't compensate enough for backlighting and other such situations. Spot metering would be nice to have but for the price, you can't have everything.

Contrary to what others have reported, I've found that the ergonomics seem fine to me. The grip seemed a little small when I first got the camera but it feels fine now and I haven't had any issues using the camera over long periods of time. I appreciate the size of the camera when travelling (we'll see how things go with my new 40D).

Oct 5, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Sea Dragon Rex to your Buddy List
Prashanth R

Registered: Jul 30, 2007
Review Date: Jul 31, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $650.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Image Quality (also low light image quality), Startup speed, small size, variety of lenses available, battery life
Cons:
Confusing metering modes, No spot metering, small LCD screen, No ISO indicator on status panel, plastic finish, Dust problem

I have about 3500 clicks on the camera. Maybe it's just me but I find the very few metering modes quite confusing and not particularly helpful. There is no spot metering which would have helped in many situations. I like the picture quality and the speed. I don't have too many complaints about this product however. I should say that I am very satisfied overall.

Jul 31, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Prashanth R to your Buddy List
NealeF

Registered: Jun 5, 2005
Review Date: Jul 18, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $900.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Lightweight, small, relatively inexpensive, very fast startup.
Cons:
Focus / limited number of focus points. No real ability to manually focus.

First step into DSLR, did have a T70 with about 6 lenses, most bought used.

Bought without kit lens - bought 17-85is instead. I use this for work sometimes (industrial) and have brought it to China several times and shot great photos inside dimly lit mills.

My only gripe is the limited number of focus points and no real ability to manually focus when I want to (viewfinder dark, no "screen" to manually focus with), have gone to center focus only as it appeared many people on forums had. I did look briefly at the Katz eye focusing screens, but with the XT you loose the red focusing points then.

Never having used a 1 series camera the light weight doesn't bother me - and for relatively compact lightweight travel I now take 17-85is, Sigma 30 1.4 and 70-300 DO is.

Highly recommend the camera to start into DSLR. Being a bit of a gear head I've also picked up 24-70L, 16-35L, 100-400L is, 50 1.4 Tamron 90 Macro, Sigma 70-200 2.8.

At this point I'm looking at second DSLR, leaving the XT for "easy" travel. Was going to go full frame with 5D, but the 1DMK2 really intrigues me - looks like for twice what I initially paid for XT I can get a used one with ALOT of life left in it. 1.3 crop gives me wider with 16-35, but still a bit extra "reach" with 100-400. Better focusing, ability to manual focus (better / brighter viewfinder).

Jul 18, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add NealeF to your Buddy List
nico_p

Registered: Jul 15, 2007
Location: Angola
Review Date: Jul 16, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Cheap. Small. Lightweight. Amazing potential. Solid. Great image quality.
Cons:
Ergonomics, but you get used to it. Kit lens is awful.

This was and still is my (first) DSLr.

I don't do sports so for me there was no point upgrading to either 10D, 20D or 30D. Megapixel count and noise performance are identical or too close to call (it's the same CMOS and DigicII processor, so it should be expected).

Upgrading to 400D/xTi made no sense either considering the identical image quality and noise performance, and the uneffective sensor cleaning feature.

The viewfinder could be brighter and bigger, and the ergonomics more user friendly. These two points are the only real world difference with 10D, 20D and 30D in my opinion.

JPEG out of camera is quite good, but RAW files give more post processing flexibility.

I am thinking about upgrading to full frame 5D for other reasons, but if I had to buy a new non full frame canon DSLr today (july 2007) I would pick up a rebel xT again witout any hesitation.

Owning this camera the quality of your image will only be limited by your eye, technique and lenses. Excellent!0

The kit lens is crap, but for the first shots it's alright. If you want better quality buy the 17-85 IS instead.

Jul 16, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add nico_p to your Buddy List
Oven82

Registered: Dec 21, 2005
Review Date: Jul 9, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $650.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Small Size/Weight, Range of settings.
Cons:
Small Size, battery life, lack of settings wheel, lower end shutter.

This was my first SLR coming from a 2mp tiny P&S Sony cam. The 350d was a great starter camera, perfect to learn on. Plenty of settings, pretty much everything you need to learn about the technical side of photography can be found on this cam. It's size/weight is a benefit, but at the same time it can feel small in large hands without a battery grip. The grip is also very beneficial in that you can use 2 batteries. The batteries for the Rebels are half the capacity of 30d's. My single 30d battery will outlast my 350d with battery grip with dual batteries.

This camera is great for travel and even medium use. However, for weddings, and high amounts of use, it would be wise to consider a 30d. I have yet to find documentation from Canon stating how long the 350d's shutter will last. Having less focus points than the higher end cameras or the lack of spot metering won't make much difference to a new user. The biggest differences between the Rebel series and the XXd series to me are the thumb wheel, and compatibility with a standard large cap. Canon battery.

Jul 9, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Oven82 to your Buddy List
Scott Grassel

Registered: Jul 4, 2007
Review Date: Jul 7, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $900.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: great beginner camera for digital SLR, Image quality, Nice features, Excellent Image quality.
Cons:
NONE

I've had the Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT for over a year now. I upgraded from a Canon EOS Gll (35mm film camera) and a Kodak digital point and shoot. After learning this camera i was glad i upgraded. It has taught me so much that i now take it everywhere i go just incase theres a shot out there that i would miss if i didn't have it with me. The Auto setting are good for the beginner like i was. I took great pictures with the auto settings. But i became more courious about the other settings and learned how to use them. I now shoot in P program mode so i can set my own settings.

Also the kit lens was a great beginner lens and i still use it for my wide angle lens. How ever if you can upgrade i would highly recommend it. I upgraded to the Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM as my main lens. My image Quality is great on this camera now. I used to get somewhat soft images with the kit lens and when i put this lens on, my images are now sharp, with good contrast and color. I never thought lenses would make that much of a difference but it does.

The XT takes great pictures with proffesional quality. From other reviews that i have read this camera rivels the bigger and more expensive cameras, with image quality equal or close to theirs. For this reason this will be my main camera untill i am forced to upgrade.

This is a great entry level Digital SLR with Image quality equal to profesional cameras.

Some people grip about the camera size and screen size. Thats all personal preference. As long as i get quality shots with ease of use, thats whats important to me. This camera is still for sale even though the XTi is out in the stores, and its still a good investment. I have tried the XTi and i will be keeping my XT. I don't think the 10 megapixles or the larger display screen on the XTi is worth upgrading yet. We will have to wait and see what Canon does for future upgrade models, so maybe in 5 more years ... if then.

Jul 7, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Scott Grassel to your Buddy List
selwynroberts

Registered: Feb 18, 2006
Review Date: Jun 17, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Good value compact size great travel camera
Cons:
fiddly ergonomics nasty kit lens

This was my first digital SLR. It re kindled my interest in photography. I have taken this camera to the rainforest and the sahara desert and it has performed very well . Its a great first dslr but...for a bit more money you can have a 20d or 30D Canon. I have a 20d which is much nicer to use, it handles better, the menu is more intuitive and I would never use this camera in preference.
I am upgrading my 20d soon and will give the 350d to my daughter. With a decent lens it won't dissapoint

Jun 17, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add selwynroberts to your Buddy List
Craig Rose

Registered: Apr 17, 2007
Review Date: May 31, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $740.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Ease of use, features, and overall image quality with appropriate lenses.
Cons:
Small for me (large hands) even with the BG-E3 battery grip. Placement of drive mode button is problematic resulting in inadvertent switching between single shot, continuous shooting, and self-timer.

As a professional photographer that relies on equipment to really come through at critical times (emergencies), this camera does a great job for the price. I now use it as a capable backup to pro-level camera bodies, but I am absolutely confident in this little camera's ability to catch the shot when needed.

As an entry level DSLR, you simply can't go wrong! The price, especially now, is GREAT, and the images easily rival camera bodies twice as expensive. Of course you will get best results with decent lenses and sufficient practice. In combination, this camera body, decent lens, and shooting frequently, the results will leave you totally satisfied.

Great piece of gear!

May 31, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Craig Rose to your Buddy List
Louis Otto

Registered: May 25, 2007
Review Date: May 25, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 7

Pros: Great entry level, good quality, good range of lenses and accesories, cheap, great battery life
Cons:
VERY plasticky, too small, prone to sensor dust

For an entry DSLR this is a good choice, it has enough features to teach anyone the basics of DSLR photography.

The camera is small in comparison to most other models, but not too small. My experiences with this camera have always been positive and I couldn't put it down for the price it costs.

With such a wide range of lenses and accesories it really makes moving up to the 30D or 5D quite easy though you will notice the change in size.

The user-friendliness is also great, the controls are in just the right place. Except why have a print button!? No one uses it, I know I never even touched it lol

Overall, if you want an entry to DSLRs as a complete beginner then this is your tool, but experienced film users would be much better off going straight for the 30D or 5D instead.

May 25, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Louis Otto to your Buddy List
Clovermead

Registered: May 9, 2007
Review Date: May 19, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Outstanding image quality. Small and light body.
Cons:
No ISO 3200 option.

I have owned the XT for the past two years and I am still impressed with the image quality. It's simply outstanding. Camera body is light and yet I have found it to be very sturdy. For the price, the XT really can't be touched, especially these days given that the XTi is now out.

I have been happy enough with the XT not to upgrade to the XTi. Not a huge difference in resolution and to be honest, keeping my sensor clean has never really been much of a problem.

May 19, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Clovermead to your Buddy List
freddyb

Registered: Apr 9, 2005
Review Date: May 9, 2007 Recommend? no | Price paid: $550.00 | Rating: 4

Pros: Battery life,color,very fast start up,
Cons:
plastic....very light and small.....focusing points are not accurate,not recommended to put a heavy lens on wide or telephoto. The body is fragile

I had this camera for about a week and got rid of it. I did a model shoot and a bike shoot. I found that the focusing was not dead on. If there is just a little breeze and your hand holding it you will get soft images. Its just a very small and light camera to take on trips maybe. For someone starting out it will teach you alot about DSLRs.

If it was me I would go with the magnesium alloy bodies like the 10D 20D 30D and 1 series pro bodies. The used cameras work just as well as the new and you save alot of money.

I was very dissappointed in this camera cause I bought it to use it as a backup. If your use to using a heavy bodied camera then this will clearly be a step down on what your use to using.

May 9, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add freddyb to your Buddy List

Review Date: Apr 26, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $700.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Size, image qualities and cost.
Cons:
LCD screen could be larger. Battery life is somewhat limited.

This camera was to be carried with my 20D with a telephoto lens attached to avoid lens changes in the field.
In my opinion with the Canon 70-200L F/4 attached it was all that I hoped for. Light weight and the image quality equals my 20D.
I like the small size and have never had a problem using this camera with any lens.

Apr 26, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add  to your Buddy List
Daniel K

Registered: Feb 7, 2007
Review Date: Mar 9, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $399.00 | Rating: 9

Pros:
Cons:

I feel I should point out to any newbie's or people looking into this camera to ignore the very "personal" standpoints about this camera that "Jo Gallagher" has posted. Not meaning to pick a fight and I mean no personal insult but the "review" is very negatively biased toward what sounds like a 20D or 30D should have been purchased.

I'm used to large body cameras, from my film days of the EOS 5 (A2e) to my 10D with battery grip, to my 1D series cameras, I've always gone for the large camera body. but now I'm stealth and no one knows I'm a local Pro when I carry around my Rebel. Which means I can go where I once coulden't with my high end equipment.

This is an excellent camera and I bought it for its small size and small price so I can keep it in my car and not worry about it. All in all I built a "travel" kit for it including Expedition 3 backpack and lenses I need and it comes with me whenever I go hiking, as well as travel.

The fact that you can't the difference between the pictures taken with this camera or a 20D say a lot about overall "picture" quality. If you want to complain about the body being plastic, go buy it's bigger brothers. The cheap price comes with these little quirks.

If you're a budding photographer, or just want something a lot better than point and shoots but don't want to absorb the cost of the higher end cameras, this is a perfect choice.

I have been shooting for 16 years, I have a 1Ds MK2, 1D MK2 (soon to have the MK3) and a Expedition 8 filled with select large f/stop primes and I can still say I love this camera (350D) and I use it more than my pro equipment (cause I always have it with me) and if there's something in particular I need to shoot, I plan it out and bring out the big guns. I consider this a great camera, for what it offers at the price, the build quality can't be compared with its bigger brothers, but the picture quality sure can! I use the pictures for art gallery work.

Mar 9, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Daniel K to your Buddy List

Canon EOS Rebel XT (350D)

72 54256 Nov 11, 2011