Canon EOS Rebel XTi (400D)

98 119365 Sep 5, 2010
8.8
rebel_xti

The Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi offers an unbeatable combination of performance, ease-of-use and value. It has a newly designed 10.1 MP Canon CMOS sensor plus a host of new features including a 2.5-inch LCD monitor, the exclusive EOS Integrated Cleaning System featuring a Self Cleaning Sensor and Canon's Picture Style technology, all in a lightweight, ergonomic body. The Digital Rebel XTi is proof positive that Canon continues to lead the way with their phenomenal digital SLRs.

---------------

* High performance digital SLR with 10.1 Megapixel Canon CMOS sensor and DIGIC II Image processor.

* Large 2.5-inch LCD monitor with new user interface and wide viewing angle. Fast 3 frames-per-second shooting with 27-frame burst and a 0.2 second startup time. High precision, wide area 9-point autofocus system.

* Picture Style settings for a broad range of control over color, contrast and sharpening. Print/Share button featuring advanced camera direct capabilities for greater user control while direct printing.

* EOS Integrated Cleaning System featuring a Self Cleaning Sensor Unit

* Fully compatible with over 60 EF and EF-S Lenses and a wide range of EOS System accessories

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7  next

Peter Duffield

Registered: Feb 13, 2007
Review Date: Feb 13, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Ease of use...large clear LCD with large clear font. Most used shooting functions very accessible, just a really good camera i feel.
Cons:
A true spotmeter would have been really nice.

Moved up to this camera after happily using the original 300d for almost two years. I'd shied away from the 350 because of the size and had my heart set on a 30d, had in fact decided to buy one until i compared the 400d and the 30d side by side at the camera shop. What grabbed me right away about the 400d was that big white LCD. I need reading glasses and had a hard time seeing the menus on my first rebel but the screen on the 400d just blew away the one on the 30d. Not only that, most of the useful shooting functions are right under your fingertips and VERY visible in that same screen. I especially like the one touch access to "picture styles" from the "set" button.
So far i've found picture quality to be excellent, i have no complaints about noise at any ISO, focussing is great too. A word or two about the underexposure complaint in many of the reviews....It took me some time to realise that my original rebel underexposed by about a third of a stop in many situations, this camera does seem to be similar (i've seen many theories why). I now keep exposure compensation set at + one third and in backlit or bright snow scenes often go up between one and two stops. The trick is to know your equipment and compensate accordingly.
The other major complaint seems to be the grip size, as mentioned above i'd found the 350d grip too small when i'd picked it up in the stores but now having used the similar sized 400d i'm just used to it and in fact my 300d already seems big and clunky, i'll appreciate the smaller size out on the hiking trails too.
My lenses are the tamron 17-50 2.8, canon 28-105 and canon 70-200 f4, so i avoided the kit lens this time and went body only. My advice to the many people trying to decide between the 400d and the 30d is to buy the 400d and use the money saved towards a good lens which will allow you to take advantage of the potential this camera offers.
About the only beef i have is that it would have been soooo easy for Canon to replace that pretty useless partial metering with a true spotmeter but then i guess you can't make a good thing TOO good.

Feb 13, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Peter Duffield to your Buddy List
borderlight

Registered: Dec 6, 2004
Review Date: Feb 13, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $670.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Compact & quiet. 2 1/2" screen. Dust system.
Cons:
Small viewfinder, plastic body

A great backup/second camera, and an economical alternative to small sensor cameras like the Canon G7. In fact the price difference now between the XTi and the G7 is like $150. The XTi will easily fit in the side pocket of my small Domke Bag, unlike my 20D. It is very quiet and works great in candid situations. Compared to a 20D, or 30D the XTi is very quiet, not Leica M camera quiet, but good enough not to call attention to yourself.

Much has been said about the grip/hand grip. In my big mitts it seems to work, probably not if you are Lou Ferrigno, or if the last camera you handled was a 1D MKII. It's all about using the right camera in the right situations, and the XTi seems to fill a niche that larger cameras can't provide.

On the down side: the viewfinder is SMALL, the body is plastic and sort of flimsy, but again it's priced to sell. You can use this as a main camera for travel, backpacking, etc. - anywhere where weight is a consideration.

Feb 13, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add borderlight to your Buddy List
Aaron T

Registered: Dec 12, 2006
Review Date: Feb 12, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Conventional and reliable design, good build, very good IQ, built-in flash is decent for fill-flashing, love the 2.5" LCD, dust cleaning thing (not sure if it actually works but it's sweet anyways!), 9 focus points...this camera is great
Cons:
Buttons are a little too small (smaller than XT), wish it had a scroll wheel+joystick instead of a button pad...

Great "little" dSLR. Honestly, it's a good investment to start out with and you might not even need to change camera's. Has all the bells and whistles, good ISO noise control, highly recommended!!

Feb 12, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Aaron T to your Buddy List
abqnmusa

Registered: May 11, 2006
Posts: 2085
Review Date: Feb 7, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $700.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: great image quality at ISO 100, 200, and good quality at 400; lightweight, good focusing ability, sensor cleaning option does help with dust, back LCD display of preview better then other 1.6 crop camera displays,
Cons:
too much noise in image at 800 & 1600 ISO to use those settings (same as 20D/30D); size is a bit small but you get used to it

When I first bought this camera it seems too small & grip was not big enough. But I have become accustomed to it now. I prefer the size and grip of the 5D when using larger lenses.

The image quality at 100 & 200 is great. The image quality at 400 is good but noise can be noticable in the shadows and background of images. This is not much different then I saw with the 20D, or have seen in 30D mages. I feel the noise at 800 is a bit too much, and 1600 is noisy to the point of being unusable.

I use the camera as a teleconverter most of the time with the 70-200 F4L IS for a 112-320 equivalent, or with the 300mm F4L IS for a 480mm equivalent.

The buttons are well places and it is faster to make changes on this camera then on a 20D/30D. The LCD instantly confirms your settings, and the LCD can be shutoff with the display button.

Overall I have enjoed the camera and get great image quality at 100/200 and good quality at 400.

Feb 7, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add abqnmusa to your Buddy List
tolley

Registered: Jan 14, 2006
Review Date: Feb 1, 2007 Recommend? no | Price paid: $610.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: Lightweight and inexpensive DSLR
Cons:
Too small for some hands. I personally could never get the image quality from the XTi that I get from my XT, maybe just a bad copy.

When I first heard of the new release of this body I was stoked to get one. But, after playing around with it I found I wasn't getting the same high quality images that I was able to get from my XT. All shots seemed a little too soft and most shots taken with Auto WB looked overly blue.

The additional 2 mp more didn't seem to make much difference at all.

I suspect that I may have had a lemon, but I have read many similar reviews, so who knows.

Feb 1, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add tolley to your Buddy List
Aidan Dunbar

Registered: Dec 25, 2006
Review Date: Jan 29, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Just the right weight, very little dust
Cons:
Just ever so slightly too small, slow to connect to computer, quite noisy

Unfortunately my hands aren't as steady as they used to be so the size of this camera is just ever so slightly too small, however this may be an issue with the way I hold the body rather than a design flaw.

The menus are very intuitive and there are a few Custom Functions that can make life a bit easier (such as setting the quality to small when taking Custom White Balance photos by using the Set button to change quality).

Either there is very little dust in my house, or the anti-dust system is doing a good job as there are very few dust specks on my images so far with several lens changes. The ultrasonic vibration mechanism does seem to eat a bit of the battery though.

Overall very good, and for 499.99 pretty good value as well (but could be cheaper Wink )

Jan 29, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Aidan Dunbar to your Buddy List
sallad

Registered: Jun 9, 2006
Review Date: Jan 25, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $800.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: The LCD screen is really nice. Great auto focusing. Just fun to use
Cons:
The white balances aren't in order, and setting a custom white balance takes a few more steps then I think it should. Yea, I'm picky

This is my first DSLR but I learned the ropes with film so I am not a total newbie.

The first thing I noticed was that the photos were generally underexposed. I leave my camera on +1/3 EV all the time, it isn't a big deal at all. The next thing I noticed was that the XTi does a great job of getting facial grease off your face. The controls are very easy to get use to. At first I didn't really mind the small size of the camera, but sometimes I wish it was a little larger. I can see a battery grip purchase in the near future! The image quality is great, I can't wait to get some good glass for it though. I have no problem with using ISO1600, anyone moving from a P&S will love that.

Anyone looking for an entry level DSLR, don't forget this one.

Jan 25, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add sallad to your Buddy List
Photo Striker

Registered: Jan 23, 2007
Review Date: Jan 23, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Lightweight - sensor cleaning
Cons:
reduced pixel size

Hello all,

Speaking of 10Mpix introduction on 400D. Isnt it achieved at the costs of photo quality?

It is a common knowledge that Image quality doesnt depend on X number of megapixels but sensor size. The larger the sensor, the larger size of individual pixels. The pixel's larger area is more sensitive to light, resulting in better image quality. Evidently, reducing size of pixels we are automatically sacrificing quality of pictures. Lets compare statistics of some of the common Canon DSLR.

Model FOVCF Sensor Pixel Size Pixels/Megapixels
400D 1.6x 22.2 x 14.8mm 5.7m 3888 x 2592 10.1 350D 1.6x 22.2 x 14.8mm 6.4m 3456 x 2304 8.0 30D 1.6x 22.5 x 15.0mm 6.4m 3504 x 2336 8.2 20D 1.6x 22.5 x 15.0mm 6.4m 3504 x 2336 8.2
1D IIM 1.3x 28.7 x 19.1mm 8.2m 3520 x 2336 8.2 1D IIN 1.3x 28.7 x 19.1mm 8.2m 3520 x 2336 8.2 5D 1.0x 35.8 x 23.9mm 8.2m 4368 x 2912 12.8

I suppose we can tell why 350D might take better shots than 400D with the same lenses on. I was so looking forward to buying my 400D but now considering upgrading to 30D instead.

Any comments from the pros?

Jan 23, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Photo Striker to your Buddy List
d123

Registered: Nov 30, 2004
Review Date: Jan 14, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Size/weight, image quality, excellent rear LCD, handling, AF speed and accuracy, exposure (never blows the highlights, unlike 350D or 30D)
Cons:
if I'm picky, battery life could be better. I seem to charge it more often than my 30D (perhaps it's because I carry and use or more.)

This camera replaced my back up 350D, now my 30D is the back up. I cannot fault the 400D, I love the size and weight for every day carry and image quality is just excellent with a good lens. I threw the 18-55 away and use it with the Tamron 17-50 f2.8.

Highly recomended.

Dave

Jan 14, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add d123 to your Buddy List
G.M.S.

Registered: Jan 6, 2007
Review Date: Jan 14, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,049.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: 10MP'S, Nice clear images out of the box, ability to use all the other EF Canon Lenses, Onboard filters for B&W photos.
Cons:

Excellent Camera, I highly advise getting one if you want an entry level DSLR. EF-S KIT LENS not as bad as everybody says it is. I would suggest that it is the operators of the camera that are making the "soft pictures" etc... This camera will do what ever you want it to, so long as you know your stuff. Was out testing the no flash setting the other night and it worked absolutely perfect, no underexposing at all.

Excellent feel in the hands as well, I have very big hands and I have no problem holding it so I don't know what the others are talking about when they say it is too small. Again.....it's all about being able to adapt to the situation properly and you will always get superior results.

The Dust Vibration at start up and shut down is a great addition. I was looking at the 30D until this came out $1000 cheaper with more features on it plus all the 30D features I wanted.

Well Done Canon.

Jan 14, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add G.M.S. to your Buddy List
Lucas Toffoli

Registered: Jan 7, 2007
Review Date: Jan 11, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Takes good pictures! (my inexperience is the limiting factor here); intuitive, easy to learn operation; gorgeous LCD; fast operation (AF, etc.); relatively low noise; good price; far less "stripped down" than some other entry-level DSLRs
Cons:
Mostly little things: no 2 sec./custom timer; looking through images in playback mode is sometimes slower than I'd like; no auto ISO option in manual modes; AF-assist beam can be annoying (it quickly flickers the flash--no soft red beam as in Canon point and shoots)

After months of looking at reviews and comparisons, I decided to get this as my first DSLR. So far (I've had it for about 3 weeks, I've put about 3,000 shots through it) I am very happy. My main problem now is to develop my own photography skills so I can use this camera to the fullest.

I got it for $725 (lens kit) at beachcamera.com (the best price from a well-rated store--I had a very good experience with them: no problems, fast shipping, etc. The XTi is currently $718 there)

I bought this camera because I wanted a Canon or Nikon (they have the most experience in this sector, and the most--and best--lenses), for me, it was the sweet spot between price, quality, and features. I looked long and hard at the Nikon D40, but decided it had a few too many features cut out for me--no depth-of field preview button, only accepts certain kinds of lenses, only 3-point AF (though I've heard it works pretty well), etc. If you are a relatively basic user, though, and price is a big issue, I've heard and read mostly great things about the D40. If money is less of an issue, I would venture (from what I've read and heard) to recommend the D80 slightly over the Canon XTi. It's a few hundred dollars more, but if that difference is negligible to you, it may prove to be a slightly superior camera. (Of course, the biggest issue is what YOU make of your camera. Even a point and shoot can make amazing pictures.) I chose the XTi because of its price (I am a college student so I am perennially underfunded, and I got this camera at a very good price), and because I travel enough in various conditions that the dust-reduction technologies are useful and the portability is key.

I got this camera with the kit lens, because it was a relatively small increase in cost ($70), and when I get better lenses, this lightweight lens may come in useful as a backup. The kit lens, while certainly not the greatest in build, quality, and features, is not a plexiglass toy that will horribly distort your pictures. It is what it is--a basic lens--and for the price it's a decent piece of glass. That said, I will be upgrading in the next few months, but I won't throw out this lens or the pictures I took with it when I do. (I will probably get the 28-135mm IS; I have a 50mm f/1.8 on the way--apparently a great piece of glass for the $70 that it costs.)

As I noted, the few issues I have with this camera are mostly little things, though having an auto-ISO feature would be very nice (maybe Canon could included this and more timer options in a firmware update, though I doubt it). Spot-metering would also be nice, but shouldn't be expected at this price point.

Noise is not noticeable up to ISO400 and barely noticeable at ISO800; at ISO1600 it is noticeable but very much acceptable. Just by eye, I would say that there is less loss in image quality at ISO1600 on my XTi than at ISO 400 (the highest) on my SD400 (Canon point and shoot). (On a side note, the SD400 is still a great little camera--I've had one or a year and taken many thousands of shots with it; a great camera to keep wit me all the time.)

Battery life is pretty good. I've consistently better life than most reviews state. (600+ shots of normal use--that is, switching settings around, frequent power on and off, and using the flash from time to time--per charge.)
I would recommend getting some extra batteries. You can get TWO good 3rd party ones for about $30 at sterlingtek.com
I also recommend getting a tripod (I got a $10 Samsonite one that works fine more my purposes) and at the very least a 1-2GB CF card, and at least twice that if you travel a lot (I have a 1GB, a 2GB, and will probably get another 1-2GB soon). Large/Fine JPEGs are around 3.5MB, RAW files are about 11MB, so cards fill up fast.

I have average size hands, but I find the grip to be comfortable for the most part. I can see how it might not be for people with large hands (the best is, of course, to go to a store and try holding any camera you're considering to see if it's comfortable/you could spend hours at a time shooting with it). I wear glasses, but haven't had problems seeing through the viewfinder.

Overall I am very pleased with my XTi and would definitely recommend it if this is your price point. If you want something cheaper/more basic, go with the Nikon D40, if you want a half-step up, get the Nikon D80; or, for a full step up, get the D200 (I've heard only good things about it).
In the end, don't stress too much about the choice you make, because the most important factor in getting great pictures and having fun with your camera is to go out and take lots of pictures!

Jan 11, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Lucas Toffoli to your Buddy List
forestmage

Registered: Sep 9, 2006
Review Date: Jan 4, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent image quality. Great design in a small package. Perfect for photographers on the go. Dust reduction system has lessened the number of times I have needed to manually clean the sensor.
Cons:
Grip is on the small side, but workable.

I actually moved from a 30D to the 400D as I like to hike with my cameras and I also change lenses fairly often in the field. The 400D, thanks to its auto sensor cleaning system, has lessened the frequency with which I need to manually clean the sensor, but this would be meaningless if the image quality produced by the sensor itself wasn't excellent and I am happy to report the 400D is on a par with my previous 30D in this respect.

I have been shooting with this body for four months now and have gotten consistently excellent results. I use the 400D with the Canon 24-105 f4 L IS, 70-200 f4 L IS, 85 f1.8 and the EF-S 10-22 f3.5-4.5 lenses and all perform admirably on this camera body.

Anyone looking for a lightweight body with an excellent sensor should give the 400D careful consideration.

Jan 4, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add forestmage to your Buddy List
ewsmit

Registered: Sep 17, 2005
Review Date: Jan 3, 2007 Recommend? no | Price paid: $900.00 | Rating: 4

Pros: Price, Anti Dust feature, large LCD
Cons:
I have gone through 4 XTI's and every one of them had under exposure. I went back to my 350D or Rebel XT. I contacted Canon about the under exposure. They acknowledge the issue but had no solution.

I would not recommend an XTI until Canon has a software patch to deal with the under exposure issue. The is a huge difference between the Rebel Xt and XTI picture quality. The same difference is found between the 20D and the XTI. For that reason I went back to my 350D as a back up camera for my 20D

Jan 3, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ewsmit to your Buddy List
MARTHIN

Registered: Apr 18, 2005
Location: Brazil
Review Date: Jan 2, 2007 Recommend? | Price paid: $800.00

Pros: All fantastic this camera. Anti-dust feature is excellent .Great Camera for the price

NOTE 10

Jan 2, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add MARTHIN to your Buddy List
str8_up

Registered: May 23, 2005
Review Date: Dec 27, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $849.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Price, compact and light, Anti Dust feature rocks, Excellent AF, large LCD and great vibrance with the image. Camera is easily accessible through the buttons.
Cons:
Doesn't have the heavy build of the 20D and others. Highest ISO setting is 1600 and the most common complaint that the view finder is small.

I am extremely excited to say that this camera has been nothing but a great experience! I have the Battery Grip which makes the camera much easier to hang onto especially while taking portrait images. (one glitch at bottom of review)
This camera can be shot in complete auto...or completely
manually...as I choose to use it. Nearly ever function one
could want from a decent DSLR and BIG BANG for your buck.

I hear alot of "bull" being shot around that the quality
of the camera is not that great... but really folks.... there
is nothing wrong with this camera...and nobody that "looks"
at it even from feet away is going to know that it is made
of plastic. Put your money into a some "L" Glass and slip
it onto this camera and I can tell you that you won't regret it.

I would put this camera up against any 5, 20 or 30D camera
any day of the week. Just apply your knowledge of Photography to this camera...just like you would any other camera and the results will speak for themselves.

The Anti Dust feature is simply awsome. One second there is
visible dust on your pictures...and after turning the camera
off and back on...it is gone. This will save end users
hundreds of dollars sending them in to be fixed or cleaned.

I have shot a ton of lenses on this camera from a Canon 50mm f1.8 to a Canon 70-200mm IS. My favorite combo is the Canon 28-135mm IS. The combination is lightweight, effective for walking around and mm is there if you need to reach out and touch something.

The placement of buttons is easy to catch onto and after only a few weeks of shooting pictures with it...I do it blindfolded.
My last set of Wedding shots were claimed by close friends to be the best I have ever shot and I will attribute this mostly to the 400D and lenses used. Sample photos can be seen here.

Two Batteries lasted a 10 hour day and 1000 pictures plus although I don't like the fact that once the Battery level hits 50%, you better start looking for your replacement ones very soon.

I am pleasantly pleased with ISO 1600 on this camera and took
an entire Wedding series using it.... My best Wedding shoot yet.
There are a few cameras that do a better job with the same or
higher ISO Settings..but I would say I will use it more often
using natural light then with a flash.

If given the chance to choose the 400D or 20D again... I would
take the 400D simply because of the Anti-dust feature that truly
works. All the rest of it...is just a bonus!

There is a minor GLITCH with
the Battery Grip I purchased and its compatibility. Canon
is looking into the glitch which mainly has to do with the
selection wheels on both the camera and grip while the grip
is turned to the "ON" position. It at "freak" moments
decides that the Selection wheels, no matter which way turned,
move only counterclockwise until the Battery Grip is turned
off... Once this is done...it can be turned back on to
resume normal operations.
I simply turn it to the "OFF" position unless using the
Grip for Portraits.

If you have any questions or want feedback, feel free to email me.
Peace,
Str8

str8@digitaldimensions.biz

Dec 27, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add str8_up to your Buddy List
Peter Wirtoft

Registered: Sep 7, 2006
Review Date: Dec 26, 2006 Recommend? | Price paid: $1,000.00

Pros: Dust remover, nice lcd and some other features. Easy to handle.
Cons:
Bad image quality

I have used it for more than 2000 shots and I still haven't seen a clear picture coming out of it.

It produces dark pictures, darker than 350D, and not sharp enough.

Compared to my 350D it is not as good.

I have sent my 400D to a Canon service center.
They tested my 400D together with a reference camera and found nothing wrong with it.

I mostly see reviews celebrating its nice features, but not many that find it to produce superior quality photos.

I have also tried another 400D and I see the same patterns with it as my own. Not very sharp pictures.

Yet, I haven't recieved my 400D from the service center because they wanted to do even more test with it. But their first tests showed no difference with other 400D's.

I still have trust in Canon to make nice cameras, but it looks like I will get rid of the 400D and wait for the next version.

Dec 26, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Peter Wirtoft to your Buddy List

Canon EOS Rebel XTi (400D)

98 119365 Sep 5, 2010