Canon EOS Rebel XTi (400D)

98 117411 Sep 5, 2010
8.8
rebel_xti

The Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi offers an unbeatable combination of performance, ease-of-use and value. It has a newly designed 10.1 MP Canon CMOS sensor plus a host of new features including a 2.5-inch LCD monitor, the exclusive EOS Integrated Cleaning System featuring a Self Cleaning Sensor and Canon's Picture Style technology, all in a lightweight, ergonomic body. The Digital Rebel XTi is proof positive that Canon continues to lead the way with their phenomenal digital SLRs.

---------------

* High performance digital SLR with 10.1 Megapixel Canon CMOS sensor and DIGIC II Image processor.

* Large 2.5-inch LCD monitor with new user interface and wide viewing angle. Fast 3 frames-per-second shooting with 27-frame burst and a 0.2 second startup time. High precision, wide area 9-point autofocus system.

* Picture Style settings for a broad range of control over color, contrast and sharpening. Print/Share button featuring advanced camera direct capabilities for greater user control while direct printing.

* EOS Integrated Cleaning System featuring a Self Cleaning Sensor Unit

* Fully compatible with over 60 EF and EF-S Lenses and a wide range of EOS System accessories

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7  next
PJ Fish

Registered: Nov 24, 2006
Review Date: Nov 10, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: fast and very precise autofucus (same as 30D)good LCD and good metering a fine DSLR for a low cost on the pro level grade for low money! quiet noise from the shutter-small weight..works perfectly with the new 580 flash.
Cons:
lack of spot meter,better viewer..the pics is not as sharp as 350d or alike. i do not know why?too plasticky.

I think this camera is a bargain if you can find one which is without the focus probs such as front or back focus problems and alike.
The pics this canon 400d makes is very fine IF you have good L glass in front...for some reasons the files it produce is NOT as fine and detailed as the old 350 d or my older 10D?!
howcome? maybe the filter aliasing is too strong set.i dont know.
But the noise on high iso is formidable such as 1600 iso..which is on same level of the canon 5 D! ...insnt it strange.?!

I use the Canon 400D as a back up for indoors sports such as hockey and gymnastics and alike,even soccer the AF i super and better than 10D also in low light.
Thats how good it is.

Nov 10, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add PJ Fish to your Buddy List
Stephen Lilly

Registered: Aug 7, 2007
Review Date: Oct 30, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $600.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Image Quality, Size and Cost!
Cons:
Easy to change the ISO by accident.

I am amazed that in reading through the past reviews no one seems to have had my problem. I have on several occaisions inadvertently changed the ISO. Apparently when having it set to ISO 100 I have tapped the button with my thumb during shooting and end up with ISO 1600. Now I understand that the ISO is diplayed on the LCD and I have tried to pay attention to it but I think they made a mistake making is too easy to change. I would rather have a two step process or a change lockout like the 20D/30D/5D.

Other features of the camera are outstanding for the price. I am loving having no dust issues at this point. My 5D is a dust magnet!

Oct 30, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Stephen Lilly to your Buddy List
jam51

Registered: Oct 12, 2005
Review Date: Oct 15, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $530.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Light weight, good menu/control layout, excellent IQ, good AF speed, excellent LCD, relative low cost, small battery charger.
Cons:
Small viewfinder, slightly awkward grip, no spot metering, different battery than 30/40D line.

I purchased an XTi refurb and I am very pleased with it after a couple of weeks of shooting.

I am a 10D owner and I was getting tired of hauling the 10D to the park, family events and on trips. I have never been satisfied the P&S results so I was looking for something in between. My main priorities in a new camera were to upgrade the AF, upsize the LCD and reduce weight/bulk/obtrusiveness. Since the XTi has the same AF as the 30D but with lower weight/bulk, I thought I would give the XTi a try.

I was concerned about all of the comments about the small grip. The grip is a little awkward but I've adapted to it with my pinkie under the camera body.

The rear control dial is a plus on the XXD line but I don't miss it too much and shoot in aperture priority most of the time. I would have preferred spot metering, but partial metering works just as well as it does on my 10D. AF is relatively quick (better than my 10D) and accurate. The menus/controls take a little getting used to versus the 10D but are fine and become intuitive with some use.

It uses a different battery than the XXD line which is a little annoying if you want to use the XTi as a backup, but at least the included charger is light and portable and not the usual tangle of wires.

Overall, I'm very happy with the XTi.

Oct 15, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jam51 to your Buddy List
Christobel

Registered: Sep 26, 2005
Review Date: Sep 19, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent image quality, lightweight, large viewfinder, ease of operation
Cons:

The 400D was originally purchased as a back-up for my 20D and is fast becoming my choice for hiking/travel. I use it with Canonís 70-200 F/4.0L IS lens, which makes a fantastic, lightweight travel combination.

Image quality-wise, it can hold its own against its big brother. The large viewfinder is great, the controls well placed and user friendly.

I think it's a superb camera for someone starting out with a dslr. If you need a back-up or are looking for a lightweight travel camera, it's an excellent choice.

Sep 19, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Christobel to your Buddy List
perspective

Registered: Oct 10, 2005
Review Date: Sep 19, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $765.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Small, lightweight, inexpensive, works with all Canon lenses
Cons:
No spot metering

I happen to love the fact that the XTi is small and light and just barely big enough to hold in my hand. That was actually a selling point for me. When I travel with family, friends or just want to be free of major encumbrances I don't want something large and heavy or that garners the attention of thieves. In the past I have taken my 1DS2 with 24-105 lens (and others) everywhere I go, even on mundane family events. It digs into my shoulders, hits small children in the head and bangs against doorways, and one time I sat at a small table to eat with my wife and the camera/lens took up half the table top. All just so I can catch pictures of my wife and kids as it's the only camera I own - until now that is.

I decided I needed something small and light too and opted to just get a P&S camera and bought the Canon G9. I used that G9 for one day and took it back. Nice camera but I remembered all the things I hate about P&S cameras after using the G9: Too much higher ISO noise (even at ISO 100 there's noise galore in the shadows and noise is visible everywhere at iso 400 and the NR smudges details), shutter lag in low light, being stuck with the built-in lens (even though the G9 has an aspherical element) and I just never really know how to hold a P&S comfortably. I just couldn't grow to love that G9 although the G9 was the best P&S camera I have seen or used before. For $499 I got to thinking I could have another DSLR for the same price. The Nikon D40 sells for $499 too and I looked at that first. I actually got the XTi instead (it's the same size as the D40) mainly because I have Canon L lenses I can use with it

The gap between high-end point and shoot cameras and low end DSLRs is small, something like $100-$200 now and many of these low-end DSLR cameras are quite small. The XTi with kit lens is only marginally larger than the S5 IS and a lot better camera, as one example.

The only weakness I can point out with the XTi (keeping my frame of reference within the class of cameras where it belongs) is the kit lens. That kit lens is only any good at 18mm f/8. Any other setting is just so darn soft. I don't think people that are new to DSLRs would notice it as much as I do because I'm used to L lenses - it's hard to look at photos taken with that 18-55mm lens. A much better kit would include the 28-135 IS lens or the 17-85mm IS lens. I can understand Canon not doing this because it would drive the price up a lot. If you are reading this and trying to decide on what to buy, and you can spend another $200, get the 17-85mm IS kit instead because if you're buying a DSLR or thinking about it, it means you probably want better results than a P&S and the XTi is crippled with that 18-55 lens on it. It doesn't really shine until you put something of quality on it.

The metering works fine most of the time. My outdoors shots tend to need a +1/3 stop of compensation more than I'm used to having to do on the 1DS2. Focus is fast and accurate. I'm used to the menu now and find it easy to use. Get the black camera instead of the silver camera because it looks far nicer. High ISO noise levels are nice and low; very easy to deal with. This camera puts out quality pictures far above what you should fairly expect from a camera this inexpensive. It is lightweight and built with plastic mainly (I'm not complaining, I wanted lightweight). It doesn't feel like a camera that would hold up well to being dropped a lot or banged into doorways too often. I like the built-in flash - there are times when I just don't want to lug around my 580EX so it's darn handy to have that little snippet of a flash in a pinch.

Great camera. Perfect camera for people jumping from P&S. Also perfect for us DSLR diehards that need something small and light for less serious shooting.

Sep 19, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add perspective to your Buddy List
marty01_uk

Registered: Aug 15, 2006
Review Date: Sep 18, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: lightweight body ,image quality price
Cons:
handling/controls, noise at high iso, a little soft

I bought this little camera to replace my 10d as a back up to my 5d.I was surprised to find that the image quality at low iso's were very close to the 5d. This is a marked improvement over my 10d.
The build and handling isn't as good but for £400 with a vertical grip and lens i can't complain.
I've been using it with fast primes and l glass and the images it can produce are fantastic, but , the kit lens is Unbelievably poor if you are buying one steer clear!
The jpegs it produces can be poor but i shoot raw.
Also white balance in auto is often off, but again i shoot raw so it doesn't really matter.
It would be nice if it had spot metering but if anything i'm being picky.For the price it's awesome ....Just buy some good glass.

Sep 18, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add marty01_uk to your Buddy List
Peter twohey

Registered: Aug 21, 2007
Review Date: Sep 11, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Alround ability,ease of handling(with a grip),price and intuitive controls.
Cons:
None for the price.

Having just got my hands on a 40D I now realise what an awesome pice of kit its little brother is.For the money I defy anyone to find a better package.Sensor cleaning is a major plus.The on/off switch is simple and of sensible design-pretty much all the controls can be accessed by the right thumb and forefinger-which because of its light weight allows one handed shooting.I use it with a battery grip and palm strap and the balance(even with a 200mm lens) is superb.
For sure the build quality is not for assignment in Beirut and its size without a grip is a tad small--but that I feel is to miss the point-it is still a very well built pece of kit that provides professional capability in an amazing lightweight package.I love the new 40D but the 400D will always be in my bag--its a fun camera but with serious ability.

Sep 11, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Peter twohey to your Buddy List
twistedlim

Registered: Oct 20, 2004
Review Date: Aug 30, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Small, lightweight. Much, much improved features over the 300D. Kit lens was suprisingly good.
Cons:
None within the limits and design of the camera.

I am very impressed with this little camera. Bought as a backup and travel camera I was very pleased with the improvements over the 300D. Canon thought this camera out well. Controls are very well laid out and easy to use. The XTI will save me from having to lug around my 1D2 for travel and family events and will double as a nice backup for shooting sports. If it only had spot metering it would be perfect. The viewfinder is small but what would you expect with a 1.6 sensor and a tiny little camera.
Adding the grip will add comfort. I would not want to shoot all day with this body and a heavy lens. The balance and grip is just not there but for what it is intended Canon has nailed this one.

Aug 30, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add twistedlim to your Buddy List
Clovermead

Registered: May 9, 2007
Review Date: Aug 26, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Image quality, button layout, AF.
Cons:
None for me.

I really love this little Canon gem. The auto focus is precise and the image quality is top notch. Very clean through ISO 800 and perfectly usable for prints up to 8x10 at ISO 1600. I also appreciate the button/control layout on the Rebel. I can access everything I need to adjust very quickly. The rear status LCD works better than I initially imagined as all the information you need is logically displayed. Can't say I have had a problem with dust either, though how much this is owing to the XTi's dust removal system is hard to say.

Aug 26, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Clovermead to your Buddy List
James Roberts

Registered: Aug 25, 2007
Review Date: Aug 25, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: You get plenty of MP for your money, Ideal for the starter DSLR Photographer
Cons:
Having to put up with the plastic body, Grip could be slightly bigger.

There so many good points you can make about the 400D, first of all you cannot get a better deal on value for money and quality. Having bought it Christmas 2006, it has been a great Body for any aspect from Shooting fast cars to shooting buterflies on flowers.

I am most of all impressed with how easy it is to use for a first time buyer. Most of the controls are simple and easy to use, the 2.5 inch LCD screen makes it clear and is not hard to view in bright light.

The only dissapointing thing about the 400D is the plastic camera body, it makes the camera look cheap alongside most of the proffessional bodies like the 5D and the 1D MKIII, But after a while you adapt and get used to it.

Aug 25, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add James Roberts to your Buddy List
Badin Elvis

Registered: Aug 19, 2007
Location: Romania
Review Date: Aug 19, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Small, cheap, senzor cleaning
Cons:
small viewfinder, kinda soft or is it all in the lens

Well I'll start by saying I'm new to dslr... I previously own a Fuji FD 6500 which, I have to say, was fantastic in matters of all in one capabilities (lens quality,zoom...)

So... I bought myself a 400d and a 28-135 USM IS and started shooting... I fell in in love of the shutter sound and on the small TFT all seamed very nice. None of the problems I've read about on forums like buffer getting full when shooting sequential mode. Maybe it's because I bought the 4 GB Sandisk Extreme 4... (40mb/s)... Some problems with the busy screen when using flash (It happend only once) and I think is from flash recharge time... Whatever... I'm about to buy 430 flash anyway....

I downloaded the files on my computer and resized to fit my screen they looked ok in mater of contrast and color, but when viewed at 100% disaster. Freakin' SOFT. it took me 2 days to realize that canon setiings are not that sharp so I made my own settings... Now things are a bit better but still soft when viewed 100%... Maybe it's just my lens?!...

I don't see any major differences in Image quality from my friends 350d... My pics seamed resized to look bigger...

Anyway using RAW it's a GREAT IMPROVMENT IN TERMS OF SHARPNESS

I don't know If I got a GOOD one or a NOT SO GOOD one... but I could live with some postprocessing.

Aug 19, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Badin Elvis to your Buddy List
gripen

Registered: Jun 18, 2007
Review Date: Jun 19, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Cheap entry level dSLR, easy to use, lightweight, large display, cleaning system, 10 MP
Cons:

Buying my first dSLR the choice was either the 30D or the 400D. Since I have always been used to small SLR bodies the 30D was no longer the option as the 400D has everything the 30D has except a few less standard programmes and the heavier body. The 400D however has more MP and the sensor cleaning system the 30D doesn't have. The price difference is not justified unless you have really big hands or a snobby attitude.

The 18-55mm kit lens is not half as bad as some people say.

Jun 19, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add gripen to your Buddy List
Gerald Crum

Registered: Jun 6, 2007
Review Date: Jun 6, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: High detail, low noise. Logical user interface. Compact size and low weight for travel. Comprehensive controls.
Cons:
I wish there was a dedicated flash exposure comp button. The SET button can be programmed for that, but I'd prefer to save SET for Picture Styles selection instead.

This is my third DSLR starting with the canon 20D, downsizing to the XT, and now the XTi. I found the 20D too big and too heavy for travel-hey, I'm 69! The 20D and XT didn't have a broad enough range of paameter adjustments for direct print of JPEGS. I do shoot some RAW, but on trips I'll print 5-700 shots for albums. Post processing all those shots gets very tedious so I insist on a camera that can produce directly printable JPEGs. The 20D did a fine job on focusing accuracy, but the XT was seldom spot on. The result with the XT was that everything was slightly soft.

The XTi focusing accuracy is spot on with all my lenses. At least as good as the 20D and maybe a bit better. My XTi is quite recent and has no problems with exposure. I was concerned about that after all the furor over many reported under-exposure problems, but mine seems dead on.

I have large hands, but proportioned with short fingers and long palms. The grip on the XTi is fine for me and fits better than the Nikon D80. You might find it different if you have long fingers.

I do like the new "picture styles" and the ability to modify them. There is an ample range of sharpening and other parameters. The new large rear LCD has a great look for a status display and is very nice for review and menus. Lots of complaints about no top of camera LCD, but the 2.5' rear display easily trumps that. I don't need my reading glasses!

AF is fast and sure in all lighting conditions and with slow lenses.

It's a small point, but the on-off switch is much better positioned than on the 20D and 30D.

Control layout and logic is not perfect, but it's very good. fast and easy to change key settings. My only gripe in that area is the reprogrammable SET button fuction. You have a choice of Picture Styles or Flash Exposure Compensation, and I'd really like to have both available without menus.

Overall, a very nice and very capable camera. I'm hardly new to photography, I got my first 35 mm 52 years ago; but I'd have to say this is the best I've had since my Nikon FE-2's back in the 80's and early 90's.

Jun 6, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Gerald Crum to your Buddy List
Indy Iskandar

Registered: Nov 30, 2006
Review Date: Jun 5, 2007 Recommend? | Price paid: $899.00

Pros: size, lightweight, iso quality, price, easy of use, rich of features.
Cons:
None so far.

This is my second review.

My first review was on Nov 30 2006, until now I never found any major problem about this camera. It's easy of use, very light, rich of features, the size is great for my hand, all ISO quality are very good, even at ISO 1600 the noise still very low. Lcd is bigger and brighter than Rebel Xt and the price is so affordable.

Some people complained about the picture quality taken by this camera is not good. Well too bad...
I never regret to have this camera, the results always made me happy. I used Canon 70-200 f/4 L USM, 50mm f/1.8 MK I and now I just recently have Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 macro and sometimes I used the kit lens too, actually the kit lens is not really too bad at all.

Well, there is nothing much I can say but I love this camera very much.

Here are some samples taken by Xti:

Samples taken by kit lens:

Samples taken by Xti and Canon 70-200 f/4 L USM:

Samples taken by Xti and Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 macro:

So, I think regardless which camera you use, you must know and learn your camera to find out the "amazing" thing about it !
And next time there is no instant judgment again.

Jun 5, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Indy Iskandar to your Buddy List
tom s

Registered: Jun 3, 2007
Location: Croatia
Review Date: Jun 3, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: high resolution, accurate colors (in ''faithful'' mode), low noise up to ISO800, sophisticated AF
Cons:
no spot meter, small viewfinder, average battery life

Canon keeps rebelling against competition. Rebel XTi (also known as 400d here in Europe) is a fine entry level camera. It should not be compared to in-house cameras (like 5d) but to other entry level cameras (like Nikon D40x or Sony A100). Highly recommended!

PS.
Don't forget to get a nice lens for this baby.
Recommended lenses: 17-40 f/4 L, 50 f/1.8, 85 f/1.8, 70-200 f/4 L, 135 f/2 L, 200 f/2.8 L.

Jun 3, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add tom s to your Buddy List
jirok12944

Registered: Nov 22, 2006
Review Date: May 29, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Value, Image Quality, Size, Weight
Cons:
Size, Weight, Canon QA

I'm 1D, 5D user. Bought 400D to try `cutting edge` technology and as a substitute for 5D for my trip to Russia.
I bought it on amazon.co.uk, and first copy had major AF problems, returned it and get second one.
It does have metering problems time-to-time, but nothing serious... up to one stop very easy to fix.

It is small, and it helps a lot to reduce weight and size of your backpack... size and weight just a personal preference.

AF is less accurate and slower than I'm used to, it is very good for the camera price though.

Many beginners cannot understand the brilliant value of 400D, sometimes it's faulty and requires services.
I would definitely test it with few lenses with help of advanced photographer, to identify potential problems
and see if service required. The camera capable of delivering exceptional image quality in many situations and it's up to you understand it and use it.
Get rid of 18-55mm lens... if you can afford only one lens, get 17-55mm f/2.8, ask for help in testing body+lens, and you'll get exceptional value for around £1000.

`most cameras better that most photographers`, if they are not faulty Smile

May 29, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jirok12944 to your Buddy List

Canon EOS Rebel XTi (400D)

98 117411 Sep 5, 2010