Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM

178 328603 Sep 4, 2014
8.7
ef50lusm

The EF 50mm f/1.2L USM is a peerless new standard lens featuring an ultra-large aperture for a narrow depth of field and soft background blur so loved by photographers everywhere. The EF 50mm f/1.2L USM is suitable for any shooting situation; its lens coating and construction are optimized to minimize the ghosting and flare that frequently occurs when lenses are used with digital cameras. This high-performance, weather-resistant lens delivers all the superb image resolution and contrast you expect in a Canon L Series Lens.

-------

Focal Length & Maximum Aperture: 50mm f/1.2

Diagonal Angle of View: 46į (with full-frame cameras)

Closest Focusing Distance: 1.48 ft. / 0.45m

Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 3.4 in. x 2.6 in./85.4mm x 65.5mm 19.2 oz./545g (lens only)

pookipichu

Registered: Jul 13, 2004
Review Date: Jan 1, 2008 Recommend? no | Price paid: $1,400.00 | Rating: 3

Pros: The lens has nice quality finish, bokeh is nice and colors are vivid.
Cons:
It doesn't focus properly. Not very sharp.

Jan 1, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add pookipichu to your Buddy List
thedowling

Registered: Feb 16, 2005
Review Date: Dec 13, 2007 Recommend? no | Price paid: $1,259.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: build, 1.2
Cons:
focus issues. see my story below.

i know that some will roll their eyes when they see another post regarding backfocus on this lens. however: it is a very real problem.

i bought this lens for use on 5d. immeditaely experienced difficulty focusing at various apertures (not just 1.2) and various distances (not just closest focusing distance).

a canon tech rep in L.A. looked at the lens and found that, while it seemed to be fine on a mark III body, he could replicate my problem on a 5D. he suggested taking to canon for calibration.

i will keep my canon service center story short but will say that i was very, very unhappy with how my problem was handled. lots of driving back and forth and, finally, the lens returned to me in the same condition as when i dropped it off.

finally, someone head my complaint and i brought the lens back to canon 1 final time.

HERE IS WHERE IT GETS INTERESTING:

1. the technician DID find that it backfocused.
2. he said that 4 CM was "within the spec" for the product.

i found this preposterous and asked him to have a crack at calibrating it.
he did.

in 20 minutes he was able to get the lens focusing properly on my 5D.

this 20 minutes was the culmination of 2 weeks of persistance.

in short:
- my copy of the lens did backfocus (i actually tried TWO copies: both with this problem)
- it was correctable.
- it was a terrible ordeal
- i have yet to determine if it was worth the time and aggravation.

this lens may yet go back to the store.

i am not a pixel-peeper and i rarely put my lenses through precise testing. this lens had GLARING issues, to my eye. perhaps my "review" will spare someone else a bit of grief.

Dec 13, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add thedowling to your Buddy List
looscanon

Registered: Dec 16, 2005
Review Date: Dec 13, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,460.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Wonderful on 20D. Color, focusing speed in low light, beautiful blur in out of focus areas, sharp at f/1.2, lens quality top notch. Absolutely worth the money for me. My lens is one of the earliest copies. UU1000.
Cons:
None. No focus issues at any focal length or distance as reported by some. I've tried to duplicate focus failures at close distances from f/1.2 to f/4 without success on a tripod or hand held.

Dec 13, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add looscanon to your Buddy List
Martin Rudolph

Registered: Dec 10, 2007
Review Date: Dec 10, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: solid built, Sharp, fast AF, very nice transition from sharpness to blur, great color
Cons:
Price, some AF-problems, focus problems if shooting distant objects, heavy

Itís a great lens. Iím very glad I bought it. It works well with my 5D. Itís far better than 50mm 1.4.

But it has some AF problems. I usually shoot 5 times the same object and usually 1 only of the shots is sharp. Thatís not a flattering rate. But shooting digital makes this not a major problem for me. And on the other hand: If itís sharp - its not just sharp, its razorsharp, its marvellous, itís magic, the blur in the background very pleasing, nice colors, and you canít get a comparable shot with the 50mm 1.4 (let alone the 1.8).

If shooting distant objects (3m or more) the focus problems are even bigger - at least with my copy. Even if stopped down it can be hard to get the focus on the right spot.

It is a wonderful lens in poor lighting conditions. Af still works (with the 5 to 1 rate of succesfully. With it I never have to use flash, not even when shooting a jazz band in a dark club.

I would certainly recommend it for everyone who needs a good portrait lens or has to work in conditions where light is poor.

Dec 10, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Martin Rudolph to your Buddy List
remixity

Registered: Feb 21, 2006
Review Date: Dec 10, 2007 Recommend? no | Price paid: $1,400.00 | Rating: 3

Pros: 8-blade and f/1.2 wide circular aperture makes for great bokeh, great contrast and color, reassuringly solid build quality, relatively quick autofocus speed
Cons:
consistent backfocusing and focus drift

I tend not to harshly evaluate lenses, as I know that no lens will ever be perfect. However, this lens has been a very large disappointment for me (in addition to a waste of time and money). I heard plenty of talk about focus issues with this lens and how it's not much sharper than the EF 50mm f/1.4 USM lens. Still, I purchased it because I expected very good contrast and wide aperture effects (thin dof, pleasant bokeh).

I did experience the above characteristics, but the EF 50mm f/1.2L USM lens suffers from a design flaw: focus drift and backfocusing. The lack of a floating aspherical element means there will be depth of field aberrations when stopping the lens. That is, the depth of field will appear to shift back when narrowing the aperture.

I have evaluated four copies of the lens on two camera bodies (one old calibrated body and a relatively new body), and each copy exhibits backfocusing. Even after compensating for the backfocusing, the lens sharpness at the center of the image circle within the depth of field isn't too good. I compared it against the 50mm f/1.4 USM lens at f/1.4 and f/8. While the 50mm f/1.2L is the clear winner at f/8 in terms of contrast and sharpness, at f/1.4, the 50mm f/1.4 lens actually wins out in sharpness. I couldn't believe it so I exchanged the lens once in May. Same deal. When I decided to give the lens another chance in October, I was disappointed yet again.

People with a need for speed will buy the 50mm f/1.2L USM because of its strengths and in part due to a need for speed. But with severe issues in terms of the focusing and focus drift, I don't think any price, no matter how reasonable, can justify this lens' flaws. If you're looking for a great f/1.2 lens, the EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM will do everything you ask of it. But as for the EF 50mm f/1.2L USM, buyer beware.

Dec 10, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add remixity to your Buddy List

Review Date: Nov 29, 2007 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros:
Cons:

Sorry for the repeated posts below. Please disregard second and third posts that follow.

Nov 29, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add davidrwilliams to your Buddy List
jackgtr34

Registered: Nov 14, 2005
Review Date: Nov 28, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,300.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Superb contrast, excellent bokeh
Cons:
Price on the high side

Despite all negative comments on the backfocus issue, i went ahead and bought it. Sadly, my first copy backfocus was quite bad, but luckily an exchange with a newer production date code (UV06##) was good.

Highly recommended.

Nov 28, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jackgtr34 to your Buddy List

Review Date: Nov 27, 2007 Recommend? no | Price paid: $1,259.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: Superb optics and build.
Cons:
Less than satisfactory auto-focus.

This lens is like Jekyll and Hyde...

When it focuses on the subject, it's sharp, provides excellent contrast and beautiful bokeh. It's really well built and feels great on a 5D.

When it misses the focus on the subject ... which seems to be most of the time ... it's not sharp, and is intensely frustrating to use.

All 4 copies I've used demonstrate consistently inaccurate auto-focus with varying amounts of backfocus at all apertures - plus focus shift at f/2 - f/4 for close-in subject distances. My calibrated 5D which focuses just fine with 85/1.2L II, 100/2.8 USM Macro, 70-200/2.8L IS, etc...

I've tried everything I can think of to overcome this AF problem as the otherwise excellent optical and build qualities of this lens are hard to lose due to an AF problem. However, after hundreds of test images trying every possible combination of different focus points, servo vs one-shot, intentional front-focusing, etc., I've given up as I can't obtain consistently accurate AF.

Although manual focus can somewhat help to overcome the back-focus issue, manual focus still isn't accurate enough to shoot anywhere close to wide-open (even with an EE-S focus screen) and needing to focus manually means the lens can't keep up with my shooting requirements for this aperture and focal length.

Hopefully, others will find copies of this lens that don't have the general backfocus issue. After trying 4 copies that all perform identically, I'm giving up as I'm not prepared to pay this price for a lens that will not focus accurately.

Nov 27, 2007

Review Date: Nov 26, 2007 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Superb optics and build.
Cons:
Major AF problems.

This lens is like Jekyll and Hyde...

All 4 copies I've used demonstrate consistently inaccurate auto-focus with varying amounts of backfocus at all apertures - plus focus shift at f/2 - f/4 for close-in subject distances. My calibrated 5D focuses just fine with 85/1.2L II, 100/2.8 USM Macro, 70-200/2.8L IS, etc...

Although manual focus can somewhat help to overcome the back-focus issue, manual focus still isn't accurate enough to shoot anywhere close to wide-open (even with an EE-S focus screen) and the slow-down in MF vs AF means the lens can't keep up with my shooting requirements for this aperture and focal length.

With accurate AF this lens would be excellent, but with it's current AF performance, this lens is an intensely frustrating no-go for me. One word advice: beware.

Nov 26, 2007

Review Date: Nov 26, 2007 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Beautiful bokeh, very good contrast and sharpness wide open, excellent build.
Cons:
Major autofocus issues - consistent backfocus and focus-shift make this lens unusable for my general purpose use.

This lens is like Jekyll and Hyde...

All 4 copies I've used demonstrate consistently inaccurate auto-focus with varying amounts of backfocus at all apertures - plus focus shift at f/2 - f/4 for close-in subject distances. They were shot with my calibrated 5D which focuses just fine with 85/1.2L II, 100/2.8 USM Macro, 70-200/2.8L IS, etc...

Nov 26, 2007
2bruce

Registered: May 18, 2005
Review Date: Nov 15, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,259.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: superb lens
Cons:

love the lens love the bokeh, love the colors, love the low light possibilities did is say love to much ! rent one and fall in love if you don't send it back also Canon has $100 off this lens now

Nov 15, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add 2bruce to your Buddy List
nickstills

Registered: Nov 3, 2007
Review Date: Nov 3, 2007 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 7

Pros: Excellent build
Cons:
mis-focusing and too large, see below

I returned the lens because of repeatable mis-focusing/softness at about four feet, using an aperture of f2, that made purchase of the lens pointless. I have rated the lens at 7 but in truth I would not rate it at all-except as a paper weight(is that too mean?) Perhaps I was doing something wrong-but I don't think I was - I am a very experienced photographer. I may test a different 50mm 1.2 in the future. But should one have to do quality control on such expensive optics?
I find the 50mm 1.4 and the 85mm 1.8 superb lenses but I wish they had the build quality of the 1.2 lenses because they do let in dust between the elements-especially the 85mm 1.8. I know a bit of dust makes no difference but it is hardly a professional lens and colleagues are always remarking about my two dusty lenses, which is annoying!
I wish Canon would just make an L type 50mm 1.4 and also an L type 85mm 1.8/ or.4 lens. They would be much more practical than the 1.2's to many more people and would, I imagine, be the sharpest lenses on the planet.

Nov 3, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add nickstills to your Buddy List
jlafontaine

Registered: Dec 22, 2006
Review Date: Oct 27, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,250.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Focus is spot on most of the time. Very sharp.
Cons:
Price!

I ordered it from BH Photo after I dropped my 50 1.4 on the floor. On my 5d the focus is dead on most of the time, but it does mis-focus from time to time, as did my 50 1.4 and my 85 1.8. Did the AF test with a ruler I printed from the web at 1.2, 1.4, 1.6, 2.8 and 5,6 and AF was accurate. My belief is that there was a design flaw with the first batch, and fixed for subsequent batches.

Would I recomend this lens? Well, I would recomend my copy of this lens.

Oct 27, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jlafontaine to your Buddy List
Matt Kerby

Registered: Jun 9, 2007
Review Date: Oct 26, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,184.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Most everything
Cons:
Wish it was as sharp as my 35L wide open

This lens surprised me. i thought it would have the "focus shift" issues, it doesn't, I thought it might BF (both copies I rented did) It doesn't...This is a perfect 50mm lens for me. With fairly close focus and really shallow DOF (my kind of lens) On my 5d it makes a perfect walkaround lens. it isn't as sharp as my 35L wide open but by 1.4 it beats my 35L. Don't get me wrong, it is sharp and very usable at 1.2 just not as sharp. This lens is the low light king, it will literally focus in the dark. AF speed is somewhere between the 35L and the 85LmkII.
Love mine, will NEVER sell it for sure.

Oct 26, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Matt Kerby to your Buddy List
Huib Nederhof

Registered: Oct 17, 2007
Review Date: Oct 17, 2007 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 6

Pros: Build quality, F1.2
Cons:
Price!!!

Immediately after using the first time this lens (which I bought in Holland at KameraExpress) I saw that this isnít what I expected. I have 35L, 85LII and the 135L in combination with the 1DsII.
The lens still even have a lot of CA at f8. I went with the lens to service of Canon. After repairing it was a lot better but still much more CA then all other (zoom) lenses I have, including the cheap Sigma 50mm macro. You can see the CA at F1.2 but also at F8
I thing I have a very sample but after 2 weeks I am still waiting for a solution from the shop.

Oct 17, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Huib Nederhof to your Buddy List
jirok12944

Registered: Nov 22, 2006
Review Date: Oct 12, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: wide open performance, build, f1.2
Cons:
a bit pricey

85mm f1.2L was not an option for me, I've purchased 85mm f1.8 twice and sold both times, simple too narrow for me. I'm already happy owner of 35L (using on 5D and 1D) and was looking for something special on 5D for low light candid. And I found it Smile

99% of time I use 50L wide open. I do not see significant difference in focusing, 50L is a bit slower than other modern L lenses, but the keeper rate is high. I always use ST-E2 as AF assistant for low light and learned that keeper rate with it is very high and stable. Misses are only due to "operator-error" Smile

50L wide open is very similar to 35L and absolutely stunning!!!

1. I do not see any AF issues at any distance. Tested at minimal distance, at 1.5ft, at 2ft, at 3ft. All the same spot-on.
2. I do not see AF drifting/hunting more that any other lens in my arsenal (35L and 16-35L mkII). No hunting at all with ST-E2.
3. Wide open real-life photos show similar level of sharpness and contrast as 35L.
4. I've used 50mm f1.4 in past and remember high level of AF inconsistency wide open and low keeper rate as result (probably due to the AF design). 50mm f1.4 is difficult to use wider than f2 due to AF misses, contrast and sharpness.

IMHO half of the reviews here have done by people who simply don't know what is lens calibration... Smile

Oct 12, 2007