Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM

173 323466 Sep 3, 2013
8.7
ef50lusm

The EF 50mm f/1.2L USM is a peerless new standard lens featuring an ultra-large aperture for a narrow depth of field and soft background blur so loved by photographers everywhere. The EF 50mm f/1.2L USM is suitable for any shooting situation; its lens coating and construction are optimized to minimize the ghosting and flare that frequently occurs when lenses are used with digital cameras. This high-performance, weather-resistant lens delivers all the superb image resolution and contrast you expect in a Canon L Series Lens.

-------

Focal Length & Maximum Aperture: 50mm f/1.2

Diagonal Angle of View: 46° (with full-frame cameras)

Closest Focusing Distance: 1.48 ft. / 0.45m

Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 3.4 in. x 2.6 in./85.4mm x 65.5mm 19.2 oz./545g (lens only)

Review Date: Nov 29, 2007 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros:
Cons:

Sorry for the repeated posts below. Please disregard second and third posts that follow.

Nov 29, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add davidrwilliams to your Buddy List
jackgtr34

Registered: Nov 14, 2005
Review Date: Nov 28, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,300.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Superb contrast, excellent bokeh
Cons:
Price on the high side

Despite all negative comments on the backfocus issue, i went ahead and bought it. Sadly, my first copy backfocus was quite bad, but luckily an exchange with a newer production date code (UV06##) was good.

Highly recommended.

Nov 28, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jackgtr34 to your Buddy List

Review Date: Nov 27, 2007 Recommend? no | Price paid: $1,259.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: Superb optics and build.
Cons:
Less than satisfactory auto-focus.

This lens is like Jekyll and Hyde...

When it focuses on the subject, it's sharp, provides excellent contrast and beautiful bokeh. It's really well built and feels great on a 5D.

When it misses the focus on the subject ... which seems to be most of the time ... it's not sharp, and is intensely frustrating to use.

All 4 copies I've used demonstrate consistently inaccurate auto-focus with varying amounts of backfocus at all apertures - plus focus shift at f/2 - f/4 for close-in subject distances. My calibrated 5D which focuses just fine with 85/1.2L II, 100/2.8 USM Macro, 70-200/2.8L IS, etc...

I've tried everything I can think of to overcome this AF problem as the otherwise excellent optical and build qualities of this lens are hard to lose due to an AF problem. However, after hundreds of test images trying every possible combination of different focus points, servo vs one-shot, intentional front-focusing, etc., I've given up as I can't obtain consistently accurate AF.

Although manual focus can somewhat help to overcome the back-focus issue, manual focus still isn't accurate enough to shoot anywhere close to wide-open (even with an EE-S focus screen) and needing to focus manually means the lens can't keep up with my shooting requirements for this aperture and focal length.

Hopefully, others will find copies of this lens that don't have the general backfocus issue. After trying 4 copies that all perform identically, I'm giving up as I'm not prepared to pay this price for a lens that will not focus accurately.

Nov 27, 2007

Review Date: Nov 26, 2007 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Superb optics and build.
Cons:
Major AF problems.

This lens is like Jekyll and Hyde...

All 4 copies I've used demonstrate consistently inaccurate auto-focus with varying amounts of backfocus at all apertures - plus focus shift at f/2 - f/4 for close-in subject distances. My calibrated 5D focuses just fine with 85/1.2L II, 100/2.8 USM Macro, 70-200/2.8L IS, etc...

Although manual focus can somewhat help to overcome the back-focus issue, manual focus still isn't accurate enough to shoot anywhere close to wide-open (even with an EE-S focus screen) and the slow-down in MF vs AF means the lens can't keep up with my shooting requirements for this aperture and focal length.

With accurate AF this lens would be excellent, but with it's current AF performance, this lens is an intensely frustrating no-go for me. One word advice: beware.

Nov 26, 2007

Review Date: Nov 26, 2007 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Beautiful bokeh, very good contrast and sharpness wide open, excellent build.
Cons:
Major autofocus issues - consistent backfocus and focus-shift make this lens unusable for my general purpose use.

This lens is like Jekyll and Hyde...

All 4 copies I've used demonstrate consistently inaccurate auto-focus with varying amounts of backfocus at all apertures - plus focus shift at f/2 - f/4 for close-in subject distances. They were shot with my calibrated 5D which focuses just fine with 85/1.2L II, 100/2.8 USM Macro, 70-200/2.8L IS, etc...

Nov 26, 2007
2bruce

Registered: May 18, 2005
Review Date: Nov 15, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,259.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: superb lens
Cons:

love the lens love the bokeh, love the colors, love the low light possibilities did is say love to much ! rent one and fall in love if you don't send it back also Canon has $100 off this lens now

Nov 15, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add 2bruce to your Buddy List
nickstills

Registered: Nov 3, 2007
Review Date: Nov 3, 2007 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 7

Pros: Excellent build
Cons:
mis-focusing and too large, see below

I returned the lens because of repeatable mis-focusing/softness at about four feet, using an aperture of f2, that made purchase of the lens pointless. I have rated the lens at 7 but in truth I would not rate it at all-except as a paper weight(is that too mean?) Perhaps I was doing something wrong-but I don't think I was - I am a very experienced photographer. I may test a different 50mm 1.2 in the future. But should one have to do quality control on such expensive optics?
I find the 50mm 1.4 and the 85mm 1.8 superb lenses but I wish they had the build quality of the 1.2 lenses because they do let in dust between the elements-especially the 85mm 1.8. I know a bit of dust makes no difference but it is hardly a professional lens and colleagues are always remarking about my two dusty lenses, which is annoying!
I wish Canon would just make an L type 50mm 1.4 and also an L type 85mm 1.8/ or.4 lens. They would be much more practical than the 1.2's to many more people and would, I imagine, be the sharpest lenses on the planet.

Nov 3, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add nickstills to your Buddy List
jlafontaine

Registered: Dec 22, 2006
Review Date: Oct 27, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,250.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Focus is spot on most of the time. Very sharp.
Cons:
Price!

I ordered it from BH Photo after I dropped my 50 1.4 on the floor. On my 5d the focus is dead on most of the time, but it does mis-focus from time to time, as did my 50 1.4 and my 85 1.8. Did the AF test with a ruler I printed from the web at 1.2, 1.4, 1.6, 2.8 and 5,6 and AF was accurate. My belief is that there was a design flaw with the first batch, and fixed for subsequent batches.

Would I recomend this lens? Well, I would recomend my copy of this lens.

Oct 27, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jlafontaine to your Buddy List
Matt Kerby

Registered: Jun 9, 2007
Review Date: Oct 26, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,184.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Most everything
Cons:
Wish it was as sharp as my 35L wide open

This lens surprised me. i thought it would have the "focus shift" issues, it doesn't, I thought it might BF (both copies I rented did) It doesn't...This is a perfect 50mm lens for me. With fairly close focus and really shallow DOF (my kind of lens) On my 5d it makes a perfect walkaround lens. it isn't as sharp as my 35L wide open but by 1.4 it beats my 35L. Don't get me wrong, it is sharp and very usable at 1.2 just not as sharp. This lens is the low light king, it will literally focus in the dark. AF speed is somewhere between the 35L and the 85LmkII.
Love mine, will NEVER sell it for sure.

Oct 26, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Matt Kerby to your Buddy List
Huib Nederhof

Registered: Oct 17, 2007
Review Date: Oct 17, 2007 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 6

Pros: Build quality, F1.2
Cons:
Price!!!

Immediately after using the first time this lens (which I bought in Holland at KameraExpress) I saw that this isn’t what I expected. I have 35L, 85LII and the 135L in combination with the 1DsII.
The lens still even have a lot of CA at f8. I went with the lens to service of Canon. After repairing it was a lot better but still much more CA then all other (zoom) lenses I have, including the cheap Sigma 50mm macro. You can see the CA at F1.2 but also at F8
I thing I have a very sample but after 2 weeks I am still waiting for a solution from the shop.

Oct 17, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Huib Nederhof to your Buddy List
jirok12944

Registered: Nov 22, 2006
Review Date: Oct 12, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: wide open performance, build, f1.2
Cons:
a bit pricey

85mm f1.2L was not an option for me, I've purchased 85mm f1.8 twice and sold both times, simple too narrow for me. I'm already happy owner of 35L (using on 5D and 1D) and was looking for something special on 5D for low light candid. And I found it Smile

99% of time I use 50L wide open. I do not see significant difference in focusing, 50L is a bit slower than other modern L lenses, but the keeper rate is high. I always use ST-E2 as AF assistant for low light and learned that keeper rate with it is very high and stable. Misses are only due to "operator-error" Smile

50L wide open is very similar to 35L and absolutely stunning!!!

1. I do not see any AF issues at any distance. Tested at minimal distance, at 1.5ft, at 2ft, at 3ft. All the same spot-on.
2. I do not see AF drifting/hunting more that any other lens in my arsenal (35L and 16-35L mkII). No hunting at all with ST-E2.
3. Wide open real-life photos show similar level of sharpness and contrast as 35L.
4. I've used 50mm f1.4 in past and remember high level of AF inconsistency wide open and low keeper rate as result (probably due to the AF design). 50mm f1.4 is difficult to use wider than f2 due to AF misses, contrast and sharpness.

IMHO half of the reviews here have done by people who simply don't know what is lens calibration... Smile

Oct 12, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jirok12944 to your Buddy List
Adam Woodyatt

Registered: Apr 19, 2007
Review Date: Oct 9, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: DOF, sharpness.
Cons:
None yet

Upgraded from the 50 1.4 which I had been very happy with but you really do get what you pay for, the sharpness, DOF, bokeh is far better. I had read all the reviews and comments about back focus and was wary about this purchase but as it was a refurbished lens I figured any mechanical problems would have been corrected, but I honestly don't know if they have been as there were some focusing issues. Some shots using the outer AF focus points on a 5D may have been slightly out but the ones with the centre AF were pin sharp and much faster than I expected. I am very happy with this lens already and glad I upgraded.

Oct 9, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Adam Woodyatt to your Buddy List
shaunknee

Registered: Jan 2, 2006
Review Date: Oct 7, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 6

Pros: The best low light focusing lens I've ever used. Fantastic flare control. Beautiful build, size & weight.
Cons:
Well documented “focus drift”, horrible reviews making the 50L the Edsel of L’s

Well I have to admit that this lens was probably a bad decision for a few reasons. First let me say that in the field this lens performs very well. It easily focuses in near darkness, much better then my 35L. The auto focus on this lens is definitely a newer generation then any of my other L’s as it behaves much differently. Secondly the coatings on this lens control flare and coma again better then any lens I’ve ever used, significantly better then the 35L. The pictures seem much clearer with out the haze that the 50 1.4 is notorious for at wide apertures.

The focus drift is significant at 2.8. On my copy, with 5D, it extends from the closest focus distance to at least 6 feet. Shooting people, especially faces, never seemed to be affected. It showed up when shooting cars and other inanimate objects where a clearer references were in and out of focus.

In my opinion the biggest drawback to this lens are the endless bad reviews & tests. This is one lens that people are afraid of and this has a dramatic affect on the value of the lens. It is a terrible investment, probably the worst L lens you can invest in. Because of this I decided to return the lens to the dealer within the return time frame and was told that here in Canada, Canon’s considers this lens a “special order” item and they will not return or exchange – period. I sent 2 polite emails to Canon and only the first was returned. I found this level of customer service very discouraging considering that in the past few years I have purchased a 350D, 30D, 5D, 70-200 2.8 IS, 35L, 24-105 etc etc.

Definitely rent this lens first to determine if the “focus shift” affects your style. 85L quality pictures are easily found posted from other owners of the 50L so you could pick up a used copy pretty cheap and be very happy.

Oct 7, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add shaunknee to your Buddy List
menatwork

Registered: Apr 26, 2007
Review Date: Sep 20, 2007 Recommend? no | Price paid: $1,359.00 | Rating: 4

Pros: Nice quality build. Feel very solid on your hand. Focus speed is fast. F1.2 is awesome.
Cons:
Back focus is a real issue on my 5D... Even when I use manual focus or stop down.

This is my first time posting here. I was very happy when I first opened the box and feel the lens on my hand. It is solid and feel heavy. I can't wait to try it out.

Once I the first few shots on my computer monitor, the disappointment immediately set in. All pictures were consistently out of focus. It doesn't matter at what apertures or how far I am from the subject or whether I'm AF or MF. It came out blurry. Instead it seems to focus on a few cm behind the subject.

Not sure if this is a problem only on my 5D or on other camera as well. I actually knew about this problem from research on this forum and other well know forum. This problem is well documented by many reviewers however I also read about some positive reports from some other users and I wanted to see for myself (I love this standard focal length). Oh boy how I was disappointed.

The lens has since returned to B&H Photo (it's a good thing they have very good return policy... no question ask within 14 days).

I would not recommend this lens until Canon fix the problem.

Just to put things into perspective, I am current have the 35L, 135L, 24-105L and the 100-400L.

Sep 20, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add menatwork to your Buddy List
neridah

Registered: Jul 16, 2006
Review Date: Sep 6, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Build Quality - Buttery Bokeh - Sharpness/Contrast - Intuitive A/F speed...
Cons:
Definately overpriced for its focal range however is a specialty lens in low light therefore i highly recommend.

I have just sold my beloved 50 1.4 to upgrade to this one and have absolutely no regrets yes it is expensive however the extra F stop build quality and that Universally recognised Red Ring does make a substantial difference the general image quality at 1.8 upwards is similar to the 1.4 however in low light 1.2-1.4 this one really shines....Highly Recommended!

Sep 6, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add neridah to your Buddy List
sejanus

Registered: Jan 16, 2003
Review Date: Aug 26, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,496.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: great contrast and colour wide open. Excellent levels of sharpness. A good size physically, nice balanced and hefty - not like a normal 50mm.
Cons:
Fairly expensive for a 50mm

I was a bit apprehensive buying this lens. So many horror stories of AF issues that I deliberate over it for a long time.

Finally bit the bullet and was very relieved when my first pack of photos uploaded on the computer.

At f/1.2 they had superb contrast and colour, and the bokeh is absolutely superb especially when you are very close to the subject.

Sharpness levels are very reasonable at f/1.2 and pickup dramatically at f/2

It's definitely not as sharp at f/1.2 as say, the 85mm is - but still more than acceptable, particularly for weddings which is where I'll be using it.

Very happy I bought this lens now. Wish I'd bought it sooner.

Aug 26, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add sejanus to your Buddy List

Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM