Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM

177 329636 Sep 4, 2014
8.7
ef50lusm

The EF 50mm f/1.2L USM is a peerless new standard lens featuring an ultra-large aperture for a narrow depth of field and soft background blur so loved by photographers everywhere. The EF 50mm f/1.2L USM is suitable for any shooting situation; its lens coating and construction are optimized to minimize the ghosting and flare that frequently occurs when lenses are used with digital cameras. This high-performance, weather-resistant lens delivers all the superb image resolution and contrast you expect in a Canon L Series Lens.

-------

Focal Length & Maximum Aperture: 50mm f/1.2

Diagonal Angle of View: 46° (with full-frame cameras)

Closest Focusing Distance: 1.48 ft. / 0.45m

Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 3.4 in. x 2.6 in./85.4mm x 65.5mm 19.2 oz./545g (lens only)

nazdravanul

Registered: Jul 1, 2008
Location: Romania
Review Date: Jul 14, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Amazing colors/contrast, extraordinary look of OOF areas, excellent build, practicality.
Cons:
A little soft from 1.2 to 1.8.

The focus shift (visible mostly at MFD between 2.8 and 4) is there but you have to learn to deal with it. A lot of other 50s and various other lenses have it. It's nothing extraordinary. It's a design trade off for that incredible look of the OOF areas. It is so much better than the 85 and even a little better than the 135 in that department, for my taste. Only the 200 2 IS creates more spectacular background blur , for me Smile.
It is a lot easier to handhold and focus in poor light than the 85 L. I prefer it's colors/contrast to the 35 L, and also I prefer it for close portraits in tight/crowded spaces.
I just wish it was sharper between 1.2 and 1.6 (1.8), even though I will not hesitate to shoot it there, if needed.
Too much ignorant bad hype about this lens.
Probably initial copies from Canon were more problematic, as I've tested 3 copies in 8 months before ending up with this one, which was significantly better than all others. I would be reluctant to buy it if I didn't have MF adjustment on my camera Smile. Well, after discovering this feature on my late 1d3 I will not buy another AF camera without it, as it makes all my AF lenses look so much better Smile.

Jul 14, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add nazdravanul to your Buddy List
Bosman

Registered: Sep 7, 2008
Review Date: Jul 13, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,374.95 | Rating: 10

Pros: Bought it love it yum! Great color and contrast, fast focus, the answer to my 85 F1.2 woes.
Cons:
not negative but wish the lens cap was like the 85mm F1.2's

Still working on the confidence at F1.2 but will see about micro calibration on the Mark 3 when it gets back from Mack Camera Repair for a dead sensor. too bad the 5d doesn't have micro adjustment. That is one reason to buy Canon cameras after 2008-2009.

Jul 13, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Bosman to your Buddy List
EyeBrock

Registered: Dec 3, 2005
Review Date: Jun 24, 2009 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Great build, great bokeh, best 50mm Canon make, looks sexy and works very well with the 5D2.
Cons:
The shallow DOF makes it a bit of a learning curve to use at first. The silly reviews some people have made on it.

I originally gave a review of this lens on my 20D in Feb 2008. I have a 5D2 and the two make a very happy couple.

This lens is well built, fast and just a great bit of kit.

Because of the extreme negative chatter and the unfathomable low numbers some have given this lens I continually pixel peep and use the MA function to check it.
The lens is fine.
Although focussing is more accurate using live view MF at 10x on lens charts, if you want to mess around with lens charts.
I found the factory settings to be the best on my 5D2 and the 50L.

I’ve tried the Canon 1.4 and this is a better all around lens. Sure the 1.4 is a lot cheaper but that’s reflected in the build quality. This lens just feels right and I’m a big fan of the 50mm perspective on full frame. On a crop, this lens doesn’t shine.

On sharpness, at F1.2 it’s not as sharp as my other lenses at F2.8 and F4. (Nah, talk about stating the obvious!)
Those expecting a lens at 1.2 to be as sharp as an ‘L’ zoom at 2.8 have unrealistic expectations and should spend $6000 on a Leica MF lens instead of polluting the results for this lens review with ‘3’ and ‘4’ or ‘6’. Silly marks indeed.

At F1.6-1.8 it’s a lot sharper and it gives a kind of dreamy look at 1.2-1.4, great for portraits of people who are not looking for every crinkle and crease to be displayed.

F2 up it’s well sharp. The bokeh is just beautiful and this lens spends the most time on my 5D2, edging out my “L” zooms. Plus it looks very nice, (shallow of me eh?).

The average mark should be 9+ if the 1.4 get’s a 9.
This is the best 50mm Canon make and its worth a 10. Some people need to stop being silly.

Jun 24, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add EyeBrock to your Buddy List
cyberguru65

Registered: Dec 10, 2004
Review Date: Jun 22, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,400.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Build quality and L weather seal. Colors and contrast are oustanding. Small and light for a fast L Lens. focus is is fast and quiet. Able to focus in almost complete darkness. This an my 5D2 is ultimate combo for natural light and walk-around shooting.
Cons:
Image rendition was soft wide open in the begining until I calibrated my 5D2 with the micro adjustment for this lens. Then it was spot on wide open at any distance :)

As far as the canon ef 50L, I didn’t think it would be as sharp wide open as my 85L, but hoped I would get a decent copy since I’ve read a lot of reviews that it had focus shifts and very soft at f/1.2.

Well, it was soft wide open but colors and contrast was great and focused much faster and quieter then the 85L. focus speed was similar to the 135L.

I was going to return it and just keep my canon ef 50 f/1.4 until I started playing with the micro adjustment feature on my 5D2. And to my excitement, this thing started being spot on and super sharp @ 1.2 at any distance. I ended up having to adjust the focus +17 since it was front focusing.

I’ve read others had to adjust it at around +15. But when I put it on my 1DIIN with no micro adjustment feature it was back to average sharpness @ 1.2, but colors and contrast were very L quality. Made me regret selling my 1DIII with the micro adjustment feature for the IIN.

Anyway, I tested some of my other lens and the most were pretty spot on like, my 135L and 70-200IS. I’m not sure why canon chose to have it off so much, but I guess it’s part of the design.

In the end, I’m very happy with the 50L as long as the camera has the micro adjustment; coming close to the 85L wide open with the micro adjustment.

It will probably stay on my 5D2 90% of the time as my walk-around lens. Oh, it’s one of the smallest L lens I’ve owned and fairly light for an L. Smaller then the 24L, 35L and the front barrel doesn’t move forward when focusing making it more weather resistant when using a filter.

I wonder how many of my other medicre fast lenses would have been a great lenses with the micro adjustment...hmmmm

Below is a 50L sample taken @ f/1.2 Raw. No sharpening done, just curves adjustment for shadows and hightlights.

Jun 22, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add cyberguru65 to your Buddy List
Canonizer

Registered: May 21, 2003
Review Date: Jun 5, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,500.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: High build quality, sharp, lovely bokeh, excellent color rendition -- I love the way it draws.
Cons:
Some CA at widest apertures. To be expected at this speed. Nothing worth worrying about.

Fortunately for me, I didn't listen much to the critics of the uberfast 50/1.2 L and bought one for myself soon after they hit the market. I realized, as I should think others would, that this is a nearly no-risk investment. Buy it new and simply return if not satisfactory. Buy it used, and you'll sell it for very close to what you paid for it (and somtimes more).

I also own the Canon 85/1.2 II L and the Canon 135/2 L. The 50/1.2 L ranks amongst my favorite primes across all my camera systems, including Leica M, Leica R and Contax Zeiss.

The build quality is superb. It instills confidence when shooting.

I have had about a 98% success rate at AF accuracy on both my 5D and 40D, even shooting wide open. I have not experienced focus shift issues. Autofocus speed is relatively fast, much better than the 85/1.2 II.

I have always enjoyed the 50mm focal length over my 30 years of photography. On the 40D, it has an EFL of 65mm, which is also nice for portraiture or isolating subjects.

The 50/1.2 is light enough for me to carry as a walk-around lens. The 85/1.2 II and the 135/2 are a much bigger effort to lug about.

If you are finding yourself undecided on whether to go with the 50/1.2, be done with the overanalysis paralaysis, grab one and start shooting.

Jun 5, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Canonizer to your Buddy List
braindeadmac

Registered: Apr 29, 2003
Posts: 1973
Review Date: May 18, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,450.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Image quality, smooth creamy bokeh.
Cons:
Bulky lens hood. Although much better than most Canon AF lenses, manual focus is a bit mushy.

I've been very hesitant to buy this lens, perhaps from reading too many of the early internut reviews. With a 5d Mk2, this is a beautiful combination, balancing as nicely as any EOS camera/lens combination can. No autofocusing problems, minimal focusing adjustment needed (+1). There appears to be a bit of focus shift, but that is common-place for ultrafast lenses, and it hasn't created any real world problems. Wide open images are nice and crisp in the focus plane, with great bokeh.

I wish Canon lens had a better feel for manual focusing; this lens is certainly better than the 50/1.4, and the 85/1.2L in that regard, but manual focusing is still "squishy".

Folks complain about the price, but coming from the Leica system, this thing is cheap for the performance you get.

May 18, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add braindeadmac to your Buddy List
edoDK

Registered: May 11, 2009
Review Date: May 11, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,800.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Bokeh, sharpnes even at 1,2 - and just the general feel of the images
Cons:
Oddly camera hostile/friendly...

This is my first FM review - just wanted to give share my experiences with this lens.

Bought this lens to replace my 1,4 after having read more or less all available reviews online.

Obviously many people have experienced massive focusing issues, but I decided to risk it and hope for a good copy.

But the lens quickly showed serious issues on my 1Dsmk2. It brought it on a couple of jobs but quickly experienced all of the described focus issues. On my 1Dsmk2 it is simply unusable.

On my old 1Ds it performed better but still with a 'failure focusing rate' of above 20-30%.

I've spend a substantial amount of time driving back and forth to the local Canon repair shop. They have tried to adjust my camera, the lens and to calibrate the two to each other. Without any success.

So how can I possibly have rated this lens a 10 you may ask? The answer is Canon 5Dmk2.

These two pieces of gear appear to be the best friends in the world.

I've not encountered one episode of focus failure with this set (at least not caused by the gear - the shallow depth of field is obviously challenging to work with).

The lens have gone from being problem child #1 in my bag to being my preferred portrait lens. I've hardly used my 85 1,2L since I bought the 50mil - it's that good! I enjoy the shorter working distance to the subjects + the ability to use the lens for other things than portraits. The 85 1,2L is IMO a far more specialised lens.

To potential buyers: Do not buy this lens if you do not have a chance to test it thoroughly on your camera. You may end up with an expensive hunk of glass providing you with a constant source of remorse and grief.

On the other hand, if the two get along - you will have yourself one of the best portrait lenses available + a lens which is very versatile and usable for other things than portraits (at least on FF).

Cheers
-Emil

May 11, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add edoDK to your Buddy List
phatbaby

Registered: Apr 5, 2009
Review Date: May 3, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Everything, especially the manual focus.
Cons:
Price, possibly weight.

I hesitated forking over, over a grand, when I had a perfectly solid 50mm f1.4 lens, but after a dozen shots, I wish I bought this lens sooner.

The image quality is great and I've experienced none of the back focusing issues mentioned elsewhere. The best, and most frequently overlooked aspect of this lens is not the IQ but the ability to manual focus. The dampening in the ring is phenomenal. My 1.4 is hardly usable in comparison because there is so much play in the focus ring (i.e. if you pass the point of focus, there's some play before you actually start moving the lens again). That in conjunction with the narrower DOF, make focusing more precise through the view finder.

Besides the obvious downside of price, this lens is significantly heavier than the 1.4 to the point where I don't typically carry it around while playing with my two kids (just too much stuff along with the diaper bag, stuffed animal, blah, blah, blah ...).

I was debating this lens versus updating my Canon 5D. I've shot with the 5D II and while it's a great camera, I'm glad I invested in a lens that will maintain its value for many years to come.

May 3, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add phatbaby to your Buddy List
petr vokurek

Registered: Apr 16, 2007
Location: Czech Republic
Review Date: Apr 20, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: bokeh wide open, sharpness, relatively light and compact
Cons:
price...?

As the reviewer bellow wrote this lens has been unfairly dismissed by many. Even I was rather apprehensive due to so many unfavourable reviews. However, I was able to test the lens in a shop in Viena and found no focus problems with it whatsoever. I was very possitively surprised by its sharpness wide open. So I took the risk and found a used one on e-bay and had it shipped from the USA. I was lucky because I got a perfect copy of the lens and all is as should be.

This lens has quickly become my favourite - and I already own practically the whole "league of the best" -1,4/24, 1,2/85II, 2/135, 2,8/70-200, 2/100...I increasingly find that I can do much more with just this lens than I originally thought. I am not saying it repaces any of my other lenses but they are definitelly used less often now. 50mm is such a nice lenght and the wide apperture adds yet another dimension. I can get better bokeh from this lens than from say the 70-200/2,8. The background is all there but transformed to something surreal. With a longer lens you pick less of the background and consequently it can look less interesting, even if it is nicelly out of focus. I now use it for weddings and outdoor portraits and think it is more practical than the 1,2/85mm. It is smaller, lighter and the shorter focal length and close focusing ability make it more practical.

Although I love the 1,2/85mm I have not used it since I got the 1,2/50mm...The sharpnes is practically the same + it has all the above mentioned advantages. Unlike the 1,2/85mm this lens can stay in the bag as a general purpose lens. I even like its design better- nothing goes out of it when close focusing and the front part is not loosely rotating like it is with the 1,2/85mm (not to mention that when you have it close focused and taken off the camera there´s no way of getting the protruding front bit back other than putting it back on the camera and focusing on infinity...)

The 1,2/50mm lens is a very special tool and is definitelly ment to be used wide open- this is where it excells and the results are spectacular. I practically never use it stopped down and so I haven´t seen any shift focus issues. It is sharp wide open even at infinity...which is of no use to me but it´s rather nice:-)

Highly recomended- get this and a couple of 2,8 zooms and that´s all you need. (at least for some time:-))

Some exaples found on my web page: http://www.vokurek.cz/p/27

Apr 20, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add petr vokurek to your Buddy List
James Wei

Registered: Aug 12, 2007
Review Date: Mar 20, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $700.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Autofocus for f1.2!! Sharp and dead on accuracy, well built and good bokeh rendering
Cons:
Shift focus, weight

This lens has been unfairly dismissed by many. I am a owner of almost every single 50mm focal length lens with f1.2 aperture. Canon 50mm f1.2 L is the best one I feel simply because it autofocuses!

It is sharp in the area of fucus. What is more is its ability to quickly autofocus on the point of interest. This is my main portrait lens for many commercial work.

The focus shift tends to happen between aperture f2 to f2.8 with focusing distance of 1 metre under low light. This is not an issue for me as this lens still gets me decent excellent images!

Here is my Canon 50mm f1.2 L lens gallery

This is the lens to use for the years to come

Mar 20, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add James Wei to your Buddy List
edrodgers731

Registered: Feb 24, 2009
Review Date: Mar 2, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, bokeh, low light capability, color, contrast, compact, rugged
Cons:
expensive

The only downside I listed is the price, but this is a cheap lens compared to a Noctilux, and it reminds me of my Noctilux at less than 1/4 the price. Expensive is relative. I might even say this lens has what I like about the Noctilux, and one-ups it with easier focus, auto focus, and I think the color is much more accurate.

I was reluctant to buy this lens. In fact it was the last purchase in my latest prime buying spree. I used to have the 50 f/1.4, and it was nice, but not up to the L prime image quality. Based on my initial research, the 50L was similar to the 50 f/1.4, so I was reluctant to drop $1400 on it. I must say though that after using the lens for a while, my fears were un-founded. It easily has an obvious IQ edge over the 1.4.

The back-focus problem is not really a big problem for most people. Many Leica lenses also lack a floating element to correct back focus, but it's easy to work around, and if you can deal with it, you are using the finest optics in the world. I feel the same way about the 50L. I tested and re-tested the issue and was surprised at how minor a problem it actually is. Learn what it is, test extensively, and work with that limitation in mind. Otherwise you are forcing yourself to use either the 35L or the 85L, or the 50 f/1.4. If you need a normal perspective, this is the best normal lens Canon makes. All you have to do is use the outer focus points and your problem is solved.

I gave the lens a 9 for build quality. The focus ring is a bit narrow for one that is so stiff. Also, I have been spoiled by the click-on hood of the 85 f/1.2L II. I wish the 50 had the same hood type. Minor issues. I might even gripe a bit that this lens is front-focusing. That means that every time you go from MFD to infinity, you are sucking air into the camera body. With air comes dust. Another minor issue.

I mentioned that this lens is compact. Again, relatively speaking it is. It's much smaller than the 85L, and it's quite a bit shorter than the 35L. I was surprised to find that the front element is small compared to the lens diameter. The 85 and 35 are bigger on the business end.

If you like to shoot in the dark, like smooth bokeh, and prefer to work in a normal focal length, this is the best option out there.

Mar 2, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add edrodgers731 to your Buddy List
Spy-Glass

Registered: Dec 21, 2005
Review Date: Feb 11, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, Coulour, Contrast, Build Quality, Wheather Sealing, simply the most perfect 50mm lens on earth!
Cons:

As you can see, the 50L 's aperture is HUGE!

The point I'd like to make clear is that this is not just a regular 50mm lens that's been built heavier - it's a very specialised lens that's actually very good at certain specialist applications - portraits being one of them.

When super-shallow DOF shooting is your thing, then the 85/1.2L and the 50/1.2L are undoubtedly "The Daddies" of the genre - tricky to learn, but hard to beat when used well.

At minimal shooting distance and at open aperture the depth-of-field will capture a single eyeball, and most of its eyelashes but beyond that the focus drops away, even the other eyeball or the tip of the nose will be out of focus - so that's a working area of focus of perhaps 1-1.5cm at most.

Frankly in those circumstances I simply turn off auto-focus and focus manually and the results are always stunning. Since a face consists of relatively smooth surfacing and very few hard lines, auto-focus has little to work with and will tend to get confused. However, it's hardly an inconvenience to have to focus manually while shooting a person at such close quarters - for me it's all simply part of the intimate process of portrait work.

That's my opinion about shooting with this extraordinary-glass.

Feb 11, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Spy-Glass to your Buddy List
ToreU58

Registered: Jan 5, 2009
Review Date: Jan 7, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,350.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast, Build, IQ, Bokeh, AF, Color, Sharpness
Cons:

First I have to say that seeing this lens receiving a score of 2 is almost surreal to me. This is in fact the lens that sits on my camera 85% of the time. In the street, for portraits, for almost everything, this lens have become my favorite.

It's sharp as a battle axe, got the build of a tank, colors renders very nice, AF is fast and accurate and the bokeh is just beutiful.

The focus issues mentioned in some of the reviews is something I've seen nothing of at all, however, at close range and wide open it is not an easylens to use. But then again, most people who gets their fingers on the wheel of a Ferrari will say the car is absolutely useless if they survive their first ride. I the hands of a skilled driver however, well.........
My lens anyway focuses very accurate - all the time and I just love the way it respond.

The price in Norway is ridiculous! Anywhere else it's high. But, if you want the best, sometimes you have to bleed. Generally, you get what you pay for.

Jan 7, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ToreU58 to your Buddy List
akleo78

Registered: Nov 21, 2008
Review Date: Jan 7, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,450.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp lens.
Cons:
Haven't experienced any issues!

I am not a professional photographer and I have only been doing photography for less than a year. I wanted a nice prime lens for portrait work. So I got the 50 1.2L despite its ridiculus price. I was about to have a heart attack when I added this lens to my shopping cart and pressed the order button, but I have no regret about getting this lens. I have not exprerienced any backfoucusing issues with this lens mounted on my 40D. It takes some practice to learn to shoot with this lens but the results are amazing. 50 1.2 is the sharpets lens that I own.

-------------------------------------------------------

Jan 7, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add akleo78 to your Buddy List
Maggot

Registered: Jul 19, 2005
Review Date: Jan 6, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Color and contrast are excellent. Sharpness is excellent, but not superb.
Cons:
Wide open, sharpness is good, but no match against the 85L.

For years I was one of the the loudest critics of this lens and for good reason. The well known focus issues are indeed there and everyone should rightly chastize Canon for it. The omission of a floating rear element, no matter how much more it would have added to the price, is unforgivable. That being said, the lens is still usable as long as you remember the working distances/f-stops and employ the off center AF point. It's a lot to remember and I'm still "learning" this lens, but it is a good lens. I find the color and contrast to be so good, that it may just be the best of all my other L lenses. Build quality is everything you'd expect from and L lens. As is, the price is a little high. If you are willing to "learn" the lens, then it's a keeper, however knowing most don't have focus issues with their other lenses, I fully understand the lower rating of this lens.

Jan 6, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Maggot to your Buddy List
Chris Bennett

Registered: Jul 30, 2007
Review Date: Dec 17, 2008 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 6

Pros: Fast aperture. Good flare resistance. Good colour.
Cons:
Random focusing. Mediocre performance wide open (sharpness, CA, fall-off). Price.

I won't add any details to the many posts about the complex focussing issues of this lens except to say that you shouldn't expect too much when trying to autofocus with this lens. I have calibrated it to my 1Ds MK III and 5DMK II bodies multiple times. The best hit rate I can get from either camera at wide apertures, (spot on focus) is about 60-70%. That is if I choose an optimal working distance. In my case I mostly need to use it between 1.5 and 2 meters. Use the lens at a different distance at your peril. This is very poor when compared to my MK 1 85mm f/1.2L. That lens design is about 20 years old and at nearly twice the focal length for the same maximum aperture, it's much more impressive, (a beautiful lens). You would think that Canon could have actually produced an equal or better lens in an easier to design focal length after 18 years or so.

Your other choice is the EF 50mm f/1.4. Unfortunately this lens isn't perfect either. It's focus accuracy was no better in my tests. It is not capable of being quite so sharp wide open (neither are really sharp), and it is prone to flare. Having said that, it is about 1/4 of the price, half the weight and its image quality is actually better when stopped down past about f5.6. This is a lens that every serious EOS photographer should consider. It's a bargain. I use both lenses but when I need a sharp 50mm and can get away without autofocus I put on my old Carl Zeiss 50mm f/1.4 Planar. The difference wide open is night and day. This is much sharper than the Canons, albeit warmer.

I think Canon should have done the right thing by its "L" series customers and recalled the EF 50mm f/1.2L to fix the focus issues. The same could have been said of its predecessor, the 50mm f/1.0L but that's a different story . . . .

Dec 17, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Chris Bennett to your Buddy List

Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM