Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM

179 330775 Nov 16, 2014
8.7
ef50lusm

The EF 50mm f/1.2L USM is a peerless new standard lens featuring an ultra-large aperture for a narrow depth of field and soft background blur so loved by photographers everywhere. The EF 50mm f/1.2L USM is suitable for any shooting situation; its lens coating and construction are optimized to minimize the ghosting and flare that frequently occurs when lenses are used with digital cameras. This high-performance, weather-resistant lens delivers all the superb image resolution and contrast you expect in a Canon L Series Lens.

-------

Focal Length & Maximum Aperture: 50mm f/1.2

Diagonal Angle of View: 46 (with full-frame cameras)

Closest Focusing Distance: 1.48 ft. / 0.45m

Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 3.4 in. x 2.6 in./85.4mm x 65.5mm 19.2 oz./545g (lens only)

Gochugogi

Registered: Jun 25, 2003
Review Date: Mar 10, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,250.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: F1.2, killer bokeh and excellent build quality
Cons:
A little heavy and bulky AF isn't as good as most USM zooms

On full frame cameras, e.g., EOS 5D II or EOS 1V, the 46 degree coverage of the 50mm lens is equivalent to the sweet spot of the human eye. Hence, "normal lens," refers to the venerable 50mm prime lens. The natural perspective of this optic makes it easy to pre-visualize images.

One of the main reasons to own a 50mm lens is for available light photography. At F1.2, 1.4 or 1.8 you can use a hand holdable shutter speed to take pictures unobtrusively in low light. The fast aperture also makes for bright viewfinders, a useful feature if you shoot in dark conditions. Fast optics tend to have smooth bokeh (background blur). The soft whirl of an out of focus background makes your subject pop. Finally, a compelling reason to use a 50mm lens is size. Even fast 50mm primes are so small and light you'll hardly notice it in your bag.

Introduced January 2007, the EF 50 1.2L USM is an impressive feat of engineering: ultra fast aperture of F1.2, ring-type USM, beefy construction and weather resistant seals. It replaces the legendary EF 50 1.0L USM (available used at astronomical prices).

Build Like A Friggen Brick

For a normal lens, it's on the heavy side, 590g, but still petite and light compared to pro zooms. It feels solid and reassuring in the hand. Build quality is first rate but sports more plastics than L series telephotos. The black speckled finish is handsome and stealthy compared to the attention grabbing off-white of Canon's super telephotos.

This lens has the same degree of sealing as the EF24-70 2.8L USM and EF 24-105 4L IS USM: gaskets on the lens mount, under switches, and behind the focus ring. To complete weather sealing, Canon requires the use of a filter.

Like other L optics, Canon includes a hood (twist-on), storage bag and manual in a dozen languages.

Focus

A ring-type USM (Ultrasonic Motor) achieves focus by driving the front lens group. AF is reasonably fast and surefooted on my EOS 3, 5D II and 7D bodies. For example, it's faster and more reliable than my EF 50 1.4 USM but not as fast or reliable as my EF 24-105 4L IS USM. I suspect the razor thin depth of field (DOF) makes AF more challenging compared to slower aperture optics. Accurate focus with narrow DOF requires precise and thoughtful placement of AF sensors on subjects. For best results you need to control AF and not let the camera select AF points for you.

Sweeping landscapes and well lit situations rarely present AF problems. However, shooting at close focus (e.g., 1 meter) in low light is sometimes problematic for 5D outer AF points. Thus, it is best to use the center AF point for these situations. Fortunately the 5D center point is very reliable and accurate. My 50D and 7D were less troublesome in this respect as they have all cross-type AF sensors. Oddly the outter points of my 5D Mark II, with a similar AF array to the 5D, is a little better than the 5D in low light (tweaked algorithms?). I suspect older cameras with single axis outer AF sensors (10D, 20D, 30D & Rebels) will also be iffy under similar conditions. High end AF systems with all cross sensors work best with this lens.

The front element does not rotate and the barrel does not expand or contract during focusing. However, the front element group does move slightly within the barrel during AF. Of course, being an USM lens, it is silent during AF.

It has FTM (Full Time Manual Focus), allowing you to manually focus without switching out of AF mode. The focus ring is large, smooth turning and covered with ribbed rubber. It's not as silky as a manual Nikkor but above average for an AF lens. If you prefocus manually, the distance window in meters and feet is extremely useful. It also sports a DOF scale although spacing is too tight for critical use. Although not a macro lens, it focuses close enough for head shots and small details (.45m/1.5 ft).

There has been some concern on internet forums with back-focusing problems at 1 meter or less between F2 and 4. Some folks claim back-focusing is inherent to the design (no floating element). I was not able to duplicate these problems and close focus with the center AF point of my 5D was generally accurate, albeit a little less surefooted than my EF 17-40 4L USM and 24-105 4L IS USM. Nevertheless, I have reasonably accurate focus below a meter while stopped down or wide open. Perhaps all my cameras are defective and causing the lens to focus correctly.

Filters

Focus operation requires a small movement of the front element group within the barrel. The air space between element group and barrel is a potential point of entry for dust and water. Hence Canon requires a 72mm filter to complete weather sealing. The 72mm filter size makes for expensive filters, and is at odds with the 77mm size used for many L optics. Judging from the small diameter of the front element, Canon could have designed this lens with a smaller filter size (58mm?). I assume the extra space around the front element allows for use of a deeper hood and thicker filters.

The manual recommends removing the hood while using a polarizing filter. If you have long fingers it's not difficult to rotate the filter with hood intact.

Optical Quality

I can't say this is the sharpest 50mm prime I have used. That honor goes to the EF 50 2.5 CM. However the EF 50 1.2L USM is damn fine. It is sharp and contrasty from wide open all the way to F16 (smallest aperture). And, yes, it whips my old EF 50 1.4 USM and EF 50 1.8 senseless in terms of sharpness, contrast and bokeh at any aperture larger than F5.6. F1.4 on my EF 50 1.4 USM was terrible--utterly useless. The EF 50 1.2L USM is very good wide open but contrast and sharpness improve a notch at F1.4 and 1.8.

The contrast and snap of this lens is apparent even through the viewfinder. Compared to a zoom the optical design is simple, with 6 groups and 8 elements, although it sports an aspherical element.

Flare is well controlled and, unlike most zooms, I've had no flare problems with sunsets or bright lights in the frame.

Like all large aperture primes there is some light fall-off when used wide open. Stop down a little and it's gone or reduced considerably. I rarely noticed light fall-off even at F1.2 save white wall tests. However, DPP 3.6 and Aperture are very good at auto correcting light fall-off if it bothers you.

If you shoot with a APS-C body, e.g., Rebel, 40D or 50D, light fall-off is a moot point as 40% of the image circle is cropped out.

Bokeh

A lot of people will buy this lens mainly for the creamy smooth bokeh. The use of an 8-blade diaphragm maintains a circular shaped aperture even when stopped down. Of course, the melting of background shapes and hues is strongest at F1.2, but is still prominent and pleasant stopped down to F2.8 or even F4 if your subject is close and well separated from the background. At F1.2 the images take on a quasi painterly quality due to reduced contrast, a slight glowing quality and the ultra smooth bokeh.

DOF is so shallow at F1.2 focus must be absolutely perfect. Even being off a few millimeters renders the image useless. It took me weeks to get used to precisely picking the point of AF. I had to disable auto AF point selection for most subjects except those at infinity focus.

Normal Perspective

Like wide angle lenses, objects nearer in the frame, i.e., within a couple feet, appear slightly exaggerated in size. For example, full or upper body images look natural. But step closer for a head and shoulders portrait and the nearest facial feature--e.g., nose or chin--may appear unflatteringly broad and flat. The above mentioned is why the 50mm optic is generally not regarded as a portrait lens on full frame cameras. Instead it shows off your subject best when you step back a little and show it within the context of its surroundings. Such is both the strength and weakness of the 50mm lens.

Conclusion

This is the big daddy-o of normal primes. It's exceedingly well made, sharp at all apertures, contrasty and exhibits ultra smooth 'n creamy bokeh. I love the normal perspective, AF, sharpness and feel of this lens. It balances perfectly on my EOS 3, 5D II and 7D.

I bought the EF 50 1.2L USM during Spring 2008 and rarely remove it from my 5D. It's the ultimate walkaround for full frame cameras and I love the ready for any light potential of the F1.2 aperture. I didn't like it nearly as much on my 50D and 7D. On a crop camera the view is too tight for walkaround. However, I'm sure most wedding and portrait shooters will find the EF 50 1.2L USM a great portrait lens for crop cameras.

This is not a lens for everybody. It is for the shooter whom places extreme value on fast aperture, smooth bokeh and durability. Most photographers can be served well by the far less expensive EF 50 2.5 CM, 50 1.8 or 50 1.4 USM.

Highly recommended for hardcore available light hounds, bokeh lovers and the well-heeled. Not recommended for zoom lovers and those with a feeble credit card limit.

Mar 10, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Gochugogi to your Buddy List
Doug Vann

Registered: Dec 18, 2004
Review Date: Feb 25, 2012 Recommend? | Price paid: $1,400.00

Pros: Fast, quality build, sharp images
Cons:

Just adding to the previous review I did. After using this lens for about 3 weeks and closely examining shots on my laptop from various camera settings .... I can report the following...
The lens was built in October of 2011 and I bought it new in London Canada. I use a Canon 5D2. The lens did not require any micro focus adjustment by the camera and seems to be dead on. Every shot is sharp and in focus. Shooting at f1.2 is producing excellent useable shots even close up. I actually had the lens for 2 weeks before I even tried my Canon 580EXII flash with it. It is that good in low light. Not sure what to say to those who have reported focus issues. Maybe there was an issue and Canon has resolved it with newer production run models. All I can say is that I am getting perfect results with every single shot. I have used it indoors with and without flash. Also outdoors in below freezing temps and the results are consistant every time. I also own the Canon 70-200f2.8LISII and Canon 24-105 L and the 50 can stand with these 2 lenses no problem. The build quality of this lens is tops. I know this lens is mainly a portrait lens but I have done many outdoor shots shooting a considerable distance and the images are as good as with any other L lens. I also like the view using a full frame camera. I think with a full frame it would be a better indoor lens then on a crop camera. If you are thinking of getting this lens NEW - go for it. Can't speak for older model used ones.

Feb 25, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Doug Vann to your Buddy List
Doug Vann

Registered: Dec 18, 2004
Review Date: Feb 19, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great DOF, very well built, just seems to fit perfect with the 5D2, great portrait lens.
Cons:

After reading some of the reviews I was wondering if I should get the Sigma 50f1.4 (owned one previously) instead. I was a little concerned with the focusing issues I was hearing about. As soon as I bought the lens I had to do a photo session for engagement pictures so figured I would give it a workout. Did not take long before I had a photo that was blurry. However the issue for me (maybe this is the same issue for others as well) was that I had the AF set to Al Focus instead of One Shot. When I focused on the couple and then wanted to retain them as the focus point and re-position the shot so they were at the side - the camera re-focused on the new center point as I moved away from them. Anyway after changing the setting to "One Shot" I have not had any issues since then. Of course another thing to remember is that this lens is not a IS lens so there is a need to try to keep the speed at 1/50 second or faster which also helps achieve sharp images. The low light indoor shots without flash turned out amazing. Only had to bump the ISO up to about 800....

Feb 19, 2012
LeoJan

Registered: May 26, 2006
Review Date: Feb 15, 2012 Recommend? no | Price paid: $950.00 | Rating: 2

Pros: Nice to see and feel. Sharper at F1.2 then I thought.
Cons:
Focus is terrible, at least the copy I tried. Only at f1.2 the focus was good.

I bought a copy second hand. Was bought new in 2007. Looks like new. I was surprised by the sharpness full open. Not as good as the 85 mm F1.2L but better then expected. Some CA but nothing to be worried about. When the lens focussed the right way nice sharp pictures, nice bokeh. A little sharper at f1.4 then my Sigma F1.4. At F1.6 sames results, where the Sigma focussed 10 times better! I tested on to camera's. A Canon 1D mark II and a Canon 5D mark II. The backfocus was terrible. I corrected it on my 5D, but when I toke photo's at F4.0 the backfocus came back. I went really crazy with all the bad focussed photo's and I could give the lens back. Pfff, Canon must has makes the lens better, I can simply not believe the newer lenses are the same.

Feb 15, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add LeoJan to your Buddy List
twistedlim

Registered: Oct 20, 2004
Review Date: Feb 14, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Great colors and contrast thoughout the aperture range. Usable shap at 1.2. About equal in sharpness with the 50 1.4 at 1.4 but with much more constast. Solid feel, like a baby 85L.
Cons:
When comparing with the 85L it comes up short. On the other hand compared to other "normal" and wide primes it stacks up pretty well. Focus is adequately fast. Accuracy stumbles in flourcent light. Usually back focusing in this type of lighting.

Very nice lens. Really functions well except under flourecent lighting which seems to bring out the dreaded back focus.

More than solid build. Probably the best in canon's lineup. The feel and balance are perfect with a 5d.

Compared to the 50 1.4 it has more color and contrast. The sharpness is pretty much a draw which is not a bad thing since my 1.4 is very sharp.

Overall, as others have noted, the lens falls short of the 85L. But then again, what lens does not. The color and contrast at 1.2 is better than the 35L at 1.4 but it may not be sharper. Bokeh is all that you would expect.

Price is a tad high but pretty much in line with most L lenses. There are no bargains with a red ring around them.

Feb 14, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add twistedlim to your Buddy List
PIXEL_JUNKIE

Registered: Jul 1, 2008
Review Date: Jan 14, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,360.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Solid, phenomenal colors, fantastic bokeh
Cons:
Expensive, not as sharp as the 85L (should be!)

The first one I purchased from BH was a total dud. It wouldn't focus properly unless I used the outer focus points on my 5D Mark II. Sent it back and went to a local store and tested all 50Ls they had in stock and picked the best of that batch. It is awesome, I really like it. It feels ultra solid when you hold it. It produces some of the best colors I've seen from any lens (very comparable to the 85L). Contrast and saturation is about as good as it gets. Mine isn't razor sharp wide open the way my old 85L was but it is very usable, I wouldn't hasitate to shoot it wide open. Focus is reliable and accurate (obviously not all 50Ls are that way, but if you're set on getting one of these, find one that works well and you will be happy). I wanted a smaller, lighter, weather sealed 85L without the focus by wire, with internal focus and without the annoying rear flush element design in a little more versatile focal length - this is it. My 85L felt somehow fragile. The 50L feels like I can throw it against a brick wall, pick it up and start using it again. There's no focus shift that I can see on mine (and I looked for it, believe me) but again, the foes one I got from BH was a classic focus shifter and really severe at that (UZ10 date code) so no, the new date codes do not have the focus shift problem fixed - so you will have to search and find a good copy, there are out there. I think this is one lens I will keep for a very long time, glad I did not get discouraged but the first copy I received.

Jan 14, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add PIXEL_JUNKIE to your Buddy List
x0SiN0x

Registered: Jan 10, 2006
Review Date: Dec 5, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,350.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Pretty decent focus speed given the amount of glass that's being moved. When focus is dead on, its quite dreamy Built like a tank
Cons:
Wide open this lens is not for the pixel peepers but still quite acceptable (this being compared to the 85 1.2). Obviously the cost, its quite high for what it is but it is what it is.

Picked up this lens after the 85 1.2, loved the creamy bokeh on the 85 and figured ive always wanted to get the 50mm again so went all out and got the 50 1.2L. Its sorta hard to work with, but thats a known fact and seems it gets easier the more you use it. Overall though im quite happy with it, would only recommend to someone that either *needs* 1.2 or just has to have it (for whatever reason).

Dec 5, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add x0SiN0x to your Buddy List
Daniel Yee

Registered: Jun 3, 2009
Review Date: Nov 23, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,500.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: good IQ, nice balance on 1D3
Cons:
not really sharp at f/1.2 but that's just splitting hairs

creamy bokeh, waaaay too creamy. wide open is not that sharp (as an L that is) but still acceptable. Sharpness creeps in at f/1.4 and above.

But heck why get this gem to use it stepped down? Sheesh!

Nov 23, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Daniel Yee to your Buddy List
fotojev

Registered: Feb 13, 2010
Review Date: Nov 13, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Functions in low light, robust, weatherproof, nice warm glow.
Cons:
Bulky, heavy, pricey, a bit slow (with 5d mk2)

I had this lens for several months until I decided to sell all my Canon gear and switch to Nikon. This lens I liked a lot because it is so robust and gives such warm colors. It was somewhat less sharp than is possible I think. This can be corrected in post-processing.

If I start using Canons again this will be on my wanted list! 50mm fixed is a must have in my opinion and this is the most serious thing Canon has.

Nov 13, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add fotojev to your Buddy List
jojo100

Registered: Oct 7, 2011
Review Date: Oct 7, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,500.00

Pros: Looks nice attached to body
Cons:
Most everything else

Stupidly I purchased a second copy of this lens in hopes Canon has made improvements.
I was really hoping but no such luck.

How can anyone call this lens sharp when a zoom like the 70-200 2.8II is sharper ?

50L @ 2.8 vs 70-200 @ 2.8

Oct 7, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jojo100 to your Buddy List
Peter Kirk

Registered: Sep 25, 2004
Review Date: Sep 9, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great Bokeh, super sharp from 1.2 up, nice balance and size.
Cons:
A tad costly, you get what you pay for.

I was hesitant in buying this lens because of mixed reviews. I guess the best way to determine if something is good or not is to actually try it for yourself.

I have absolutely no regrets in this purchase. It is an invaluable lens which performs flawlessly at all apertures.
My copy is about 11 months old and is pin sharp and does not display the "focus shift" phenomenon.

The color is beautiful and the focus is quiet and accurate (similar to the 85LII).

I highly recommend this lens for any serious photographer or artist.
5 STARS all the way.

Sep 9, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Peter Kirk to your Buddy List
SandyP

Registered: Aug 8, 2010
Review Date: Aug 6, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: f/1.2 aperture, weather sealed (mostly), nice focus ring, build quality, bokeh (out of focus areas).... it just takes superb photos.
Cons:
None really... see review.

When I first started taking my photography more serious I decided to buy a 5D Mark II (It just JUST come out in North America) and a 70-200mm f/2.8 IS L, and a 27-70mm f/2.8 L. I was set. Or so I thought.

Eventually about a year ago, I realized I was bored of my big clunky zoom lenses, as nice as they were/are, I was just bored of them. I wanted low light abilities. I wanted crazy bokeh, I wanted quality that great primes can give you.

I sold my zooms and bought a 35L, 135L and a 45mm TS-E. I was happy, very happy. Soon I realized that there was no real middle ground for me, I shoot a lot of fine art portraits, and some weddings in the warmer months (that's Canada for you), I found that too often I was switching camera bodies because of another lens that felt very specialized. The 135L. It is such a nice lens, but it was very long, even on my 5D2.

So back to the 35L, well the 35L is sexy. But it's not really a portrait lens, not really anyway.

In comes the 50L. I borrowed it from a friend, and it blew me away. I didn't want to give it back.

A few weeks later, I bought the lens, I was so amazed at how dreamy and nice the lens was that I Just had to have it in my bag.

If you can nail the focus at f/1.2, it's pretty sharp, which is great. And let's be honest, you buy this sort of lens (like the 35L, 85L or 135L) to shoot a lot of stuff wide open.

I will echo what others have said, I think a lot of the bad press it got from people is what initially threw me off a year ago. I know three people who own this lens, besides myself, and they all have copies made after 2008, (Mine is late 2009), and they do not have any significant focus problems when stopped down from f/1.2, so I don't know what to say.

Yes I believe I've experienced this somewhat, but I also think that when shooting someones face, very close, at f/1.2, f/1.4, or f/1.6, getting focus perfectly on the eye/eye lash, is going to be very difficult no matter what, and possible people just believed it was a problem, or maybe in some cases that was what was happening, and in others... not so much. Who knows. I don't doubt there are/were problems.

I haven't had any real issues, and this is my #1 lens. I adore it.

Some of my favorite images have been shot with it. It sees what I do. The bokeh is killer, and the lens just feels like a very nice piece of gear.

Sorry for the big write up, but I figured my story would help those who might be looking at reviews trying to decide if this is the lens for them. This one is excellent on a Full Frame camera. It can do tight head shot portraits, full body, and still have dreamy bokeh/background blur, it's amazing for wedding/documentary style, and really great for portrait sessions and street stuff. One of Canon's ultimate "people photo" lenses.

Just the other week I shot an entire wedding on it, and was so impressed with the gem of a lens.

Try it out, make sure you're focusing techniques are up to the challenge of the razor thin DOF at f/1.2! This is one of Canon's best. GET IT.

Aug 6, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add SandyP to your Buddy List
mixedsg

Registered: Mar 22, 2011
Review Date: Mar 22, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: 1. Excellent build quality 2. Excellent image quality with beautiful bokeh wide open to sharpness when stopped down. The lens is paired with a 5DII and really does it all.
Cons:
Nothing.

Mar 22, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mixedsg to your Buddy List
fazz33

Registered: Feb 20, 2009
Review Date: Mar 21, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Lightweight, dangerously sharp stopped down a bit, Alright sharpness wide open. Very useful focal length. Nice bokeh.
Cons:
Could be sharper wide open.

The 50mm F1.2 is a great lens overall.

It's small, it's light, it fits well on a 1D body or 5D body.

When shot wide open it's decently sharp, it has a bit of veiling haze which makes the wide open performance seem a bit worse than it is by robbing it of a bit of contrast. When you stop it down though it soars.

Bokeh is pretty melty wide open and it's pleasing.

The focal length coupled with ultra wide aperture is just down right appealing, perfect focal length with the perfect aperture.

For a slightly quirky video review done by me and a few sample photos go to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuA3pRHAjBA

Mar 21, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add fazz33 to your Buddy List
AlexF

Registered: Feb 6, 2002
Review Date: Mar 18, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,569.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Built quality, bokeh, clarity, 1.2
Cons:

My most commonly used lens since I got it... Love the clarity and the bokeh

Mar 18, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add AlexF to your Buddy List
redisred

Registered: Jul 2, 2006
Review Date: Mar 6, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,500.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: f/1.2, build quality and feel, great AF and image quality, beautiful bokeh, no problems whatsoever
Cons:
So expensive!

I knew I wanted an upgrade from my 50 1.4, but I really didn't want to spend the money on this lens. I basically avoided using the 50 1.4 below 2.0 because it looked bad. I tried the sigma, focus was terrible, sent it back and got this. I must say, I have no regrets. I wouldn't say it's a $1500 lens, but the amount that I use it now vs. the 1.4 definitely justifies the cost for me. It pretty much shares the position of most used lens with my 35 1.4, which is really saying something for me. The image quality is amazing, although different than my other L lenses. It seems much more aimed at looking pretty than absolute sharpness, which I don't mind. Sometimes everything's a little soft, but not like how cheap lenses look soft. It's clearly in focus, but the fine details don't stab you at low apertures. Instead, the whole photo has a gorgeous, dreamy look that's unattainable with other lenses. It's the only kind of softness I've ever liked. Softness isn't really even the right word, it's hard to explain. But by 2.8 and up it easily gets into detail stabbing territory. Is it flawless? No, but my hunt for the 50 that suites me is over. (And it had better be at this cost!)

Mar 6, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add redisred to your Buddy List

Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM