222 428982 Jun 21, 2014
ef70-200lisusm

The EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM is a lightweight, compact L Series telephoto zoom lens with Image Stabilizer. The optical Image Stabilization in the new EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM lens provides up to an incredible four stops of shake correction-a first for Canon IS lenses. The use of fluorite UD lens elements provides excellent optical performance in terms of resolution and contrast. These features, together with its water-and dust-proof construction, provide both the performance and portability to meet user demands.

----------

Focal Length & Maximum Aperture: 70 - 200mm f/4

Diagonal Angle of View: 34°- 12°(with full-frame cameras)

Closest Focusing Distance: 3.94 ft. / 1.2m

Zoom System: 7-group helical zoom (rotational angle: 72ΒΊ)

Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 3.0 x 6.8 in. / 76 x 172mm 26.8 oz./760g (lens only)

oggywaffler

Registered: Feb 28, 2008
Review Date: Feb 28, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: This a great lens.
Cons:

Once you put this lens on your camera you will not want to take it off. It is sharp sharp sharp. Get one you will not be sorry.

Feb 28, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add oggywaffler to your Buddy List
ch4rli3

Registered: Feb 17, 2008
Review Date: Feb 27, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $984.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, lightweight, solid build quality
Cons:
doesn't come with a tripod collar

Feb 27, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ch4rli3 to your Buddy List
robbrowett

Registered: Feb 22, 2008
Review Date: Feb 22, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Absolutely Love this lens. It's a fantastic lens and gives 10/10 results every time.
Cons:
Nothing but minor gripes

Got this in the U.S so it worked out half the UK price.

What's to say? It's a fantastic balance between weight and length but gives A+ results every time in almost all conditions. It's easy to carry as a day lens. Brilliant lens for close work. I've even has some good results with extension tubes.

Would be better if f/2.8 but you pay the premium for that! Minimum focus is 1.4M which is i tad too far but it is a tele lens so it's not that bad.

Works wonderfully with 1x4 II extender. AF is only about 15% slower and + 1 stop doesn't make a slight bit of difference outdoors.

Check out some examples at www.robbrowett.net/photos.

I'll post more pics as I get chance. Please check back

On the whole I can't recommend this enough.

Feb 22, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add robbrowett to your Buddy List
Jesper

Registered: Sep 9, 2003
Review Date: Feb 20, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp, also at f/4. Very good IS. Good build quality, weather sealing. Relatively lightweight, relatively small.
Cons:
Expensive compared to the non-IS version.

The quality of this lens is excellent. It's very sharp, also at f/4 - as I expect from a Canon L lens. The build quality is very good, with weather sealing to protect the lens and camera from dust, dirt and moisture.

Size and weight are important factors for me, as I mainly make photos when I travel. The 70-200 f/4 L IS is a lot smaller and almost half the weight of the 70-200 f/2.8 L IS.

Compared to the 70-200 f/4 L without IS, this lens is expensive. I paid € 930 for the version with IS, and the version without costs around € 650 here. That's a lot of money to pay just for IS, but it's worth it - the IS works really well and makes the lens a lot more useable.

I use the lens on the 5D and together with the 24-105 f/4 L IS this makes a great travel photography kit.

Feb 20, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Jesper to your Buddy List
gberger

Registered: Apr 29, 2006
Review Date: Feb 19, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $985.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Superb IQ, not too heavy, IS is wonderful, useful zoom range. I love it.
Cons:
Expensive, tripod collar should be included, leads to major lust for other, longer focal length Canon L series lenses.

Wonderful lens, extremely sharp even wide open, although there does appear to be some degradation at minimum focusing distance. Beyond that it's a dream. The relatively light weight lends itself to hand-holding, and the IS really comes in handy when it's off the tripod. I've had some minor twinges of regret wondering if I should have gone for the 2.8, but the extra weight and dollars ease those little twinges.
However, seeing what this lens can do has made me start looking at some of the longer and faster Canon primes. If this was my profession, it would be an easy decision, but it's not so I do need to exercise some discretion. I may have to join or start a support group along the lines of AA.

Feb 19, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add gberger to your Buddy List
tom s

Registered: Jun 3, 2007
Location: Croatia
Review Date: Feb 8, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: sharp wide open, great color and contrast, 4stops of IS really work, weather-resistant
Cons:
pricey, bokeh of f/4, f/4 can't stop low light action, not suitable for close-ups (not sharp at 200 mm wide open when focusing close to MFD: 1.2-3m; reproduction ratio seems overstated)

Feb 8, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add tom s to your Buddy List
anij

Registered: Oct 9, 2005
Review Date: Feb 6, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $984.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Extremely Sharp, great 4-stop Image Stabiliser, weight
Cons:
The Image Stabiliser makes too much noise, sharpness at the minimum focus distance (MFD) is not the best (but it's still pretty good)

Use:
I mainly use it for portraits, landscapes and street photography.
I have also extensively used it as a birding lens as this is the longest I have in my arsenal (for the moment). I have used it with the Canon 1.4x II TC. It still remains tack sharp with the converter.
It also doubles as a good macro lens for flower photos.

Handling:
It is light enough to lug around on long trips and when taking photos on the street. Since it is internal focussing there are no exterior moving parts when focusing.
The zoom ring and the focus rings are a pleasure to use.
It feels solid in general.

Performance:
This is the sharpest lens that I have ever used. It performs amazingly both with and without TCs. Although it is not at its best at MFD, I still have no problems in using it for flower photos.
The contrast and colour rendering is amazing. When you look through the lens everything seems speacial!

Highly recommended!

Feb 6, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add anij to your Buddy List
retrofocus

Registered: Apr 19, 2007
Review Date: Feb 2, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $984.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Super-sharp, excellent glass! Difficult to top quality-wise. Nice tele-zoom lens for walkaround.
Cons:
None of the lens directly, but Canon should add the tripod collar for free with this package.

Very sharp at both ends, very fast and silent AF, excellent quality both for optics and for the lens body. I decided for this model of the 70-200 series to have it with IS and to avoid too heavy weight of the lens. It is a great addition to the 24-70 mm L lens.

Use with extender: was more than pleasantly surprised - AF still working perfectly fine with the 1.4 extender and the 70-200. It automatically switches to a max. open aperture of 5.6. That's a huge advantage compared to my 100-400 where the Rebel camera body does not allow AF together with the extender in a reliable fashion.

Polarizer fit: it is a very good idea to buy a circ. polarizer with a large diameter of 77 mm in the first place if you have any of the other L lenses with a filter thread of this diameter. A step up adapter ring to 67 mm fitting the 70-200 mm f4.0 filter thread is cheaper than buying a new good circ. polarizer!

The only a bit annoying thing concerns the accessories: I hoped to get a solid lens case similar to my 100-400 L lens. But again, Canon only included a soft lens case which you can fold flat. Also, no tripod collar is included and needs to be bought additionally. But since the lens is not very heavy, you can just use the regular camera tripod fit if necessary or just use the IS.

Feb 2, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add retrofocus to your Buddy List
poodlelvr

Registered: Aug 25, 2005
Review Date: Feb 2, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Outstanding color and clarity; light weight makes easy to use. IS really works extremely well
Cons:
None. Except that this lens will make you really take a close look at your lens collection...

There isn't much to add that is not stated in other reviews; absolutely top quality lens. The color is outstanding, IS works well; sharp, sharp, sharp. Lent to my husband on an XTi body; he is an artist with NO photographic experience and he returned with several photos good enough to blow up to poster size.

Feb 2, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add poodlelvr to your Buddy List
blassox

Registered: Jan 31, 2008
Review Date: Jan 31, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $970.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Always super sharp, IS is a real help in some cases.
Cons:
A little heavy in walkaround use.

I've bought and sold a lot of lenses, sometimes to test it, sometimes to try it, sometimes to verify user review.... But this lense has a difference space: there's a label in my bag to show is permament place! Never sold it and I'll never do!

It's incredibly sharp, @f/4 like @f/11, my 10mp 40D can't stay behind its sharpness. Colour saturation at the top level like USM speed and vignetting and construction quality.

A real fun with portrait photos where f/4 isn't a limit like in sports photos.

This lens is a 10 in every class: save money and buy it!

Jan 31, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add blassox to your Buddy List
thedruid

Registered: Dec 1, 2004
Review Date: Jan 20, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,035.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Super quality, sharp, build, size and weight, IS.
Cons:
Attaching hood a PITA

My most used lens on 5D it produces every time, no worries about image quality here even for peepers at 100%. Sharp, lghtweight well built and having IS a really a boon it has changed the way i work. Along with a 16-35mm 11 I can cover 90% of what I shoot, add a 50mm F1.4 and I have a complete travel kit.

Jan 20, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add thedruid to your Buddy List
three60

Registered: Jan 5, 2008
Review Date: Jan 12, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $984.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Incredible sharpness, lightweight/compact, fast focusing, excellent stabilization, smooth focusing/zooming
Cons:
None really

I'm using this lens on a Canon 5D. Also have the 24-105 f/4L and 85mm f/1.8.

I came from shooting Nikon f/2.8 zooms for the better part of 15 years. But when I switched systems, I considered Canon's f/4 zooms with IS. As I don't spend much time shooting sports anymore, I figured size/weight savings of the f/4 and addition of 4-stop IS would more than compensate.

So far, I am quite happy with the lens. The performance of the lens is as good as people here say it is and I don't regret not getting the f/2.8 version. The 4-stop stabilizer is really amazing and works as advertised. You can really notice the difference at 200mm.

Compared to the other lenses I have, this one seems sharper than the 24-105 and at least as good if not better than the 85/1.8. It is a lot bigger and conspicuous than the 85, so I still prefer that for discreet candids.

Overall, I highly recommend the 70-200 f/4L IS. To me, the stabilizer, extra sealing and new lens formulation is worth the extra $500 or so over the non-IS version.

Jan 12, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add three60 to your Buddy List
jlandaue

Registered: Feb 4, 2005
Review Date: Dec 20, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, build quality.
Cons:

I have mounted this lens on my XT and XTI. No complain.
Some nice samples in this site.

Taken with this lens: Simply Sofia, and Maternity shots.

www.jaimephotos.com

Dec 20, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add jlandaue to your Buddy List
Maelor Davies

Registered: Dec 20, 2007
Review Date: Dec 20, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros:
Cons:

Question about 70-200mm f4 IS USM lens

I am thinking to add one of these to my lens collection to give me a little more reach relative to the standard and wide ranges I usually like. The almost universally rave reviews lend confidence, but can someone please tell me if the viewfinder on the Rebel XT (350D) is bright enough for it, especially stopped down and at full 200 mm ? I like the 350D body for its compactness and lightness (not to mention the good results), and am unlikely to upgrade it any time soon. Does the 70-200 f4 transmit enough light for decent seeing through the viewfinder outdoors at least?

Dec 20, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Maelor Davies to your Buddy List
davidrwilliams

Registered: Nov 15, 2004
Review Date: Dec 17, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Superb image quality, light, portable, very well built.
Cons:

This is probably the best lens I've ever used with respect to its overall image quality. It's very sharp across the frame (5D), very contrasty, produces great colour and produces quite nice bokeh for its f/4 aperture.

It focuses quickly, it's light, has great build and is really versatile with superb IS. At f/4, my copy is virtually indistinguishable in terms of centre sharpness to either 100/2.8 USM Macro or 135/2L.

I moved from the f/2.8L IS to this lens due to weight/bulk, and found the f/4L IS lens has better overall IQ.

Highly recommended!

Dec 17, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add davidrwilliams to your Buddy List
apeq

Registered: Dec 11, 2007
Review Date: Dec 11, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: IQ, IS, light & compact!
Cons:
Does not come with tripod mount.

This is my 1st 'L' lens and I am loving it. I was undecided as to whether to get this or the 2.8 non IS. Now I wonder why it was an issue at all, I live in tropical and sunny Malaysia and if I need indoor use I will use my fast prime( 50 & 85 1.8).I also have my 580 EX ll. It fits just snugly into my backpack and I have no problem carrying it with my 30D whole day long. IQ, contrast and saturation is simply amazing. More importantly,with this lens it gives me the consistency,reliability and confidence I require to do a shoot. Now I understand what the Pros mean. If only it came with a tripod mount, now then it;d be perfect.

Dec 11, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add apeq to your Buddy List

222 428982 Jun 21, 2014