223 430763 Nov 12, 2014
ef70-200lisusm

The EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM is a lightweight, compact L Series telephoto zoom lens with Image Stabilizer. The optical Image Stabilization in the new EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM lens provides up to an incredible four stops of shake correction-a first for Canon IS lenses. The use of fluorite UD lens elements provides excellent optical performance in terms of resolution and contrast. These features, together with its water-and dust-proof construction, provide both the performance and portability to meet user demands.

----------

Focal Length & Maximum Aperture: 70 - 200mm f/4

Diagonal Angle of View: 34- 12(with full-frame cameras)

Closest Focusing Distance: 3.94 ft. / 1.2m

Zoom System: 7-group helical zoom (rotational angle: 72º)

Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 3.0 x 6.8 in. / 76 x 172mm 26.8 oz./760g (lens only)

Ralph Conway

Registered: Jul 30, 2008
Review Date: Sep 4, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Perfect! The best lens I ever had. Sharp like hell. IS is fantastic. And its weight is a great advantage when you walk around 8 hours a day with your cam. Excellent price, too
Cons:
That Canon wants to charge me an additional 15% for a simple (piece of shit) tripod ring is an unbelieveable shame. Thats why I did not rate the price at 10 only.

I wanted to purchase its small brother just when it came out. I did a test and got a perfect sharp image open and using IS at 1/20th.
Than it was mine. I added the additional 350 with kissing hands.
I shot a couple of times with the 1 stop higher big brother IS. Fine, too. But this lens is better. Its weight is half less, the missing stop in low light is fixred by the great IS in 80% (except fast moving objects only. But what I can not fix with a 20th is seldom caught much better with a 40th).

Today when bodys reach the point offering affordable ISO 1600 this Lens belongs to ALL my needs. Build/and handling is perfect.
IQ is fantastic. the sharpness over the whole area is a dream. That lens saved me several hundrets in primes 85/100/200 2.8!

Its worth any cent. The only point of critic is that canon sells the tripod ring (one do not really need - the lens is made for shooting handheld - but some people use tripods) seperate (else as with 70-200 2.8). At a horible bargain of 130,-- (near 15%). That is a shame for an add on that surely does not cost more than 3-5 in production. Instead they might have kept the lether bag that I never needed. The included lenshood looks like a flower pot and could have been shaped mor betaifull, I gess.

Sep 4, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Ralph Conway to your Buddy List
Peter Kirk

Registered: Sep 25, 2004
Review Date: Aug 5, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp as, lightweight, IS
Cons:
$$

you get what you pay for here.
Excellent lens, a must have lens if quality is your driving force.
shaper and light than its 2.8 big brother.

Aug 5, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Peter Kirk to your Buddy List
JustForFun

Registered: Jul 23, 2008
Review Date: Jul 23, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,050.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Build Quality, Compact, Fast AF, Sharp, Good Contrast, 2-mode IS (4 stops)
Cons:
A bit expensive as compared to the non-IS version

One of my favourite zoom L lens at this moment. Sharp, Good Contrast, Fast AF, 2 mode IS and good build quality. Makes you feel that you have spend every dollar well but the pocket still hurts.

If there was a bad side to it, I don't really like the humming sound of the IS. Some call it assuring, I call it annoying. Anyhow, humming does not neccessarily means its working.

Looking through the viewfinder is a far better means to confirm that the IS is working. To do this, switch the IS off, point your AF spot on a specific spot on the image and then turn it On again. The IS locks on and you can see the small erratic movements of camera shake slowing down.

Jul 23, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add JustForFun to your Buddy List
godfreyz

Registered: Feb 3, 2005
Review Date: Jul 22, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,025.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp, great colrs and an excellent IS.
Cons:

Hard to write enough superlatives for this lens. Very sharp, incredible colors, fast focus, and very lightweight. I also have the the 70-200 F4L non IS lens. I believe that this lens is sharper if that is possible. The IS puts this great lens over thetop. Highly recommend this lens to anyone.

Jul 22, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add godfreyz to your Buddy List
tomKphoto

Registered: May 1, 2007
Review Date: Jul 8, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,025.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: size, reach, image quality
Cons:
no tripod ring included

I prefer carrying this lens all day to the legendary 2.8 version - the weight savings are dramatic (the F4 IS "little white" weighs less than a 24-70L).

Super sharp wide-open on EFs and full-frame

I was very disappointed that no tripod ring was included at this price.

Jul 8, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add tomKphoto to your Buddy List
Dreamliner

Registered: Jul 11, 2007
Location: Greece
Review Date: Jul 8, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Mobile, very nicepicture quality, very effective stabilizer.
Cons:
Not up to my expectations after reading all those reviews...

After reading all those reviews, I had very high expectations from this lens. People that I highly respect from the forum, gave it the best of the ratings and I decided to give it a chance. Since then, I had already tested 3 copies of this lens and and none of 'em conviced me because of quality control. The centering was so and so and sharpness was very high in some focal lengths and average in others. Overall I was dissapointed from this lens. The potential of the design was high but the chances to buy a product that wasn't up to the standards of the design team was also high.
Then I found two new copies (UV code) that were more promissing, and I decided to enter the testing (torture for me!) again. First I tested them on Provia and Velvia slide film. Then I borrowed a 5D, and tested both and my 2,8L non-IS with it. I also repeated the test with my 1D mkII and 40D. The digital results were very close to the film results and revealled some differences. I 've kept the best shots from each lens -the subject was a block of flats at 85 meters away because I intend to use it for aviation and landscape photography. My results: this lens is certainly better than my 2,8L at 70mm in most apertures ( except at f/4 ),it's slightly worse at 100mm up to f/5,6, it lags behind my 2,8L at 135, and it's on a par with it at 200mm. The only area that it really shines, is at closer distances where it's increased micro-contrast give the pictures it takes a punch ! Probably that's why "The-Digital- Picture" and "The Photozone" gave it so good reviews. It also vignietes and has more distorsion than the 2,8L. My ranking is based on it's average performance at at far and close distances, because if I had to rank it regarding it's optical performance at far distances I would gave it a 9. What I forgot to tell you is that I bought it already after selling my 180L which was collecting dust...and I 'm still searching for a better copy than the very good one I already own !

Jul 8, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Dreamliner to your Buddy List
Peter Kotsa

Registered: Nov 1, 2007
Review Date: Jul 6, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: weight, size, IS, IMAGE QUALITY
Cons:
$$$

What can I say, I have had all four versions of the 70-200 models.
This is by far the sharpest, and most pleasing to use (very lightweight)
The only downside of this beast is f4. In every other area this lens is a freak. Well done Canon, at last.

Jul 6, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Peter Kotsa to your Buddy List
graemeak

Registered: Mar 30, 2008
Review Date: Jul 4, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: White, weight (compared to f2.8), build quality, IS, super sharp, low distortion, versatile and just generally an awesome lens! Oh and it works with 1.4x!
Cons:
Not f2.8, but the weight difference justifies it for what I use it for the IS compensates enough.

When it comes to zooms, the 70-200mm L's are really great. Not only are they sharp, but they are very well built and super fast. There's no doubt about it, if you want superior quality and a lens that's gonna impress you a lot of the time - this is it.

If you're a gig photographer, go for the f2.8 IS, otherwise, go for this one! Its not too heavy and is fairly good to walk around with (although don't take it to the wrong neighbourhood or you might get mugged Wink)

For portraits its awesome! I'd say on a parr with my 50mm f1.4 and that's sharp! For flower photography, again its great, you can get a pretty shallow DOF at f4.

Basically - Buy it.

Jul 4, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add graemeak to your Buddy List
wbm1874

Registered: Feb 14, 2008
Review Date: Jun 19, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Super-sharp, low distortion, great IS, reasonable size/weight.
Cons:
White! Have to pay extra for tripod ring.

Jun 19, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add wbm1874 to your Buddy List
montymoe

Registered: Jul 8, 2006
Review Date: Jun 18, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,064.95 | Rating: 10

Pros: Wicked sharp corner to corner and at all ranges and apertures. Fast, lightweight and great IS. Solid build.
Cons:

I live in Canada where the price of this lens was over $1500 when I bought it. I was very happy, therefore, to get it from Amazon for just over two thirds that and without tax (don't tell the border gestapo!). Man, the things I can do with this lens! I bring it out to my daughter's soccer games where I get great action shots and look cool. Outdoor dusk and night time shots are great too. I tried it at my daughter's dance recital recently and found it to be just fast enough. If she becomes a star I might need something faster. You need a standard zoom like this and with 4 stops of IS and L quality you can't beat this lens. Ok, you could get the 2.8 but you'd better hire a shurpa to carry all your gear.

Jun 18, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add montymoe to your Buddy List
halse

Registered: Oct 29, 2005
Review Date: May 29, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: consistent, has a very high percentage of keepers and is quite versatile
Cons:
not 2.8

like most of the others I have found this to be a superb lens.... went through the usual 2.8/4 comparison and rented both and went with the 4 since I found that the weight of the 2.8 more than overcame the extra light.... the 4 is consistent, has a very high percentage of keepers and is quite versatile and use it for the kids' baseball & soccer as well as for flowers and some portraits... works well with the 1.4 Canon teleconverter as well (in good light)

May 29, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add halse to your Buddy List
Bert 1969

Registered: May 13, 2008
Review Date: May 16, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $950.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Good build, weight, great colours and contrast, fast, very good IS and sharp, sharp and sharp again straigth from f/4.0.
Cons:
IS little bit loud but this is hardly a negative point considering the positive aspects.

What a joy to use this lens, it is the best zoom lens of Canon I've ever owned. Before this lens I had the 70-200 f/2.8 IS.

Then a friend of my gave my his f/4.0 IS version to try out and I was really amazed of the perfomance of this lens.
This lens outperforms the f/2.8 version lens when there both on f/4.0 especially on 200mm.

Not forgetting to mention the weight almost half the weigth of the f/2.8 version and that is very nice when you walk around for a couple of hours mounted on a EOS 1D.

Sold the f/2.8 and bought the f/4.0 version.

If you not absolutly need f/2.8 this is the lens to buy.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

May 16, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Bert 1969 to your Buddy List
genefixer

Registered: Jan 22, 2007
Review Date: Apr 11, 2008 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: sharp, relatively lightweight, solid build
Cons:
none significant

This lens never ceases to amaze me. Including with Canon's 1.4X II Extender which I routinely leave on the lens.

some recent shots taken on a trip to Costa Rica.

a truly great lens and well worth the price

Apr 11, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add genefixer to your Buddy List
sven rose

Registered: Jul 9, 2007
Review Date: Apr 7, 2008 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: everything, the more I use it, the more i like it
Cons:
white color

Excellent for birding and butterfly:

All pictures taken with this extraordinary lens. The light wasn't bright, but with this lens higher ISO pictures seems to turn-out better then with the other lens I have.

Apr 7, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add sven rose to your Buddy List
Santai

Registered: Mar 19, 2008
Review Date: Mar 20, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Outstanding Image Quality, Image Stabilizer, Weight
Cons:

I was looking for a zoom to complement my 17-40 f/4 and 24-70 f/2.8 lenses. Given the excellent reviews of the 70-200 f/4 IS I bought it and am still impressed with the image quality. Sharpness, color and contrast are truly outstanding. The build quality is perfect.

I guess that all four versions of the 70-200 are a safe bet when it comes to image quality (I know it for this one). Which version you pick depends on your individual requirement. I picked the f/4 with image stabilizer over the 2.8 versions for its lighter weight (I was surprised how light it feels, given its size) and price. The IS gives me enough confidence in lower light situations when I do not carry the tripod.

Mar 20, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Santai to your Buddy List
terminator

Registered: Jan 28, 2005
Review Date: Mar 19, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Everything
Cons:
hope it is bigger, or shorter ;-)

This defines the "dream lens". IQ is even better than many L primes I used. Really, nothing to complain about it. If I have to, I hope it is either a little bigger or shorter because I feel I am holding a chalk stick in my hand!

Mar 19, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add terminator to your Buddy List

223 430763 Nov 12, 2014