223 430211 Nov 12, 2014
ef70-200lisusm

The EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM is a lightweight, compact L Series telephoto zoom lens with Image Stabilizer. The optical Image Stabilization in the new EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM lens provides up to an incredible four stops of shake correction-a first for Canon IS lenses. The use of fluorite UD lens elements provides excellent optical performance in terms of resolution and contrast. These features, together with its water-and dust-proof construction, provide both the performance and portability to meet user demands.

----------

Focal Length & Maximum Aperture: 70 - 200mm f/4

Diagonal Angle of View: 34°- 12°(with full-frame cameras)

Closest Focusing Distance: 3.94 ft. / 1.2m

Zoom System: 7-group helical zoom (rotational angle: 72º)

Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 3.0 x 6.8 in. / 76 x 172mm 26.8 oz./760g (lens only)

Jay Taft

Registered: Dec 28, 2004
Review Date: Mar 9, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Light weight, sharp, excellent image quality, IS, worth the price.
Cons:

The 70-200 f4 L non-IS was a great lens for me. I sold it a while ago to buy the 70-200 f4 L IS when the price came down a bit at B&H.

The IS version is everything I expected and more based upon the image quality of the non-IS version, and information available on the web. I was able to get 2 stops shutter speed reduction out of the box, and 3 stops with a bit of practice. Haven't made 4 stops yet but I'm working on it.

IS seems quiet compared to some comments I have read. Certainly no noisier than the AF on my non-Canon lenses, which aren't loud at all.

Works beautifully with the old Canon 1.4x TC Mk I -- no problem at 280mm (448mm on the 10D), f5.6, 1/40th second. AF is excellent, too.

Going to Costa Rica in a few weeks where this lens will get a good workout. It's a gem. The performance is worth the price.

Mar 9, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Jay Taft to your Buddy List
Heatseeker99

Registered: Jun 27, 2006
Review Date: Mar 7, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,039.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp! Amazing colors and contrast. 4-stop IS. Lightweight. Creamy bokeh! Silky smoooooth zoom ring.
Cons:
Not a thing.

My first 70-200 was the 2.8 IS model. After using that for over a year, deep down I was disappointed with its IQ. It was only OK at wide apertures and did not get sharp until 5.6-8.0. I really felt my $1,600 could have been spent more wisely. After getting an EF 85 1.8 I realized what a really tack sharp image looks like and knew that I needed another solution for my zoom. I picked up a copy of the 70-200 F4 IS and have not missed the 2.8 IS one bit. This lens is as sharp as my 85 1.8 throughout the zoom range. And as someone stated earlier, it is as sharp at f/4 as it is at f/5.6 as it is at f/8. Its great! I use primes to stop action in low light now, because I have found that even f/2.8 doesn't cut it at times. So...
This lens is great in low light, just not low light action. I pulled off a handheld 200mm handheld at 1/10 sec. on a 30D!
Get it now, you won't be dissapointed.

Mar 7, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Heatseeker99 to your Buddy List
jirok12944

Registered: Nov 22, 2006
Review Date: Mar 6, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp, contrasty, colorful, excellent build, 4-stop IS
Cons:
a bit pricey (compare to non-IS version)

Used non-IS version for a year, sold it to buy this one (IS version).

Used it for 2 months, and finally ready to say that this is the perfect lens in all aspects. I cannot find any drawbacks or issues with this lens. Tested in lab environment and real-life. It delivers simply 100% of consistent quality. No visual difference between f/4 and f/8 (a bit of vignetting in lab tests). AF is very quick and consistent. IS is really 4-stop, 1/15s at 200mm – no problem.

Dramatic improvement over older version, by some reason I was always hesitating to use old 70-200 f/4, did not always get 100% out of it. With new IS version I have no doubts and always prefer it (even over 135mm L-prime, if it’s not an action shot).

Mar 6, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jirok12944 to your Buddy List
nivenu

Registered: Jul 16, 2005
Review Date: Mar 3, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Superb in every respect of modern lens technology! Excellent contrast, sharpness, bokeh. Well engineered with a top class build quality

Mar 3, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add nivenu to your Buddy List
pjmichaud

Registered: Jul 13, 2006
Review Date: Mar 2, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,190.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, Sharp, Sharp!
Cons:
I wish my other L lens were this sharp.

I purchased this lens as soon as my Canadian retailer got it in stock a few months ago and I can simply tell you one thing... It's the best lens I own. Very very sharp, light weight and sealed. Works great on all my Cams, 1D, 10D, 20D and XTi.

Mar 2, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add pjmichaud to your Buddy List
Mandalay

Registered: Feb 21, 2007
Location: Latvia
Review Date: Feb 21, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: 1) Image Quality 2) IS 3) Circular aperture blades (pleasant bokeh) 3) Weight (~ the same old non-IS)
Cons:
1) IS noise 2) price [not so much]

IS is very usefull for f/4. I am upgraded my non-IS 70-200 f/4 to IS version because of quality @f4... Now I/You can not to stop down at > @f5 to get extreemly sharp images.

But one dissapointment is - IS noise. But it does 4-stop ... what else can i say.

Actualy also i found focus/zoom rings more tight (better IMHO!)

Feb 21, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Mandalay to your Buddy List
studiom

Registered: Feb 20, 2007

Pros: Razor Sharp, IS, Compact, Great Build Quality
Cons:

This is probably the best Zoom I've used... Get this lens it's worth every cent.

Feb 21, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add studiom to your Buddy List
genefixer

Registered: Jan 22, 2007
Review Date: Feb 14, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: lightweight for its reach, very sharp images, IS makes tripod a bit lonely
Cons:
none really

I love this lens. I am a newbie to the new DSLR technology but have had a Canon EOS film camera for over 10 yrs. Recently bought the 30D plus this lens a a couple others. See my hummingbird picture taken with tripod and high speed flash (580EX) to see what this lens can do even in the hands of an amateur!!

Feb 14, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add genefixer to your Buddy List
bdickers

Registered: May 23, 2003
Review Date: Feb 14, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: terrific image quality, contrast and color. Light weight.
Cons:
67mm filter size is a bit odd, other than that...Nothing negative.

I've owned several copies of the f/4 Non-IS, and also the f/2.8 IS, and the f/4 IS is my favorite among them all. Great image sharpness, color and contrast. This lens on the XTi is my new combo for travel and just about everything else. Another outstanding example of Canon technology and commitment to quality. Well Done Canon!

Feb 14, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add bdickers to your Buddy List
Andrew Maier

Registered: Oct 4, 2006
Review Date: Feb 13, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,050.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Light! Fast Focus in appropriate light, IS really works wonders, the rear element is quite far from the base of the lens and won't get scratched easy
Cons:
F4, but then again, it's a zoom: you have to give up something to get something.

I recently put this lens through it's paces and can't tell the different in image quality to my primes. I'm happy.

Feb 13, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Andrew Maier to your Buddy List
2bruce

Registered: May 18, 2005
Review Date: Feb 12, 2007 Recommend? | Price paid: $1,200.00

Pros: light sharp contrast skin tones
Cons:

this lens i love it !! some pros may frown on using IS but technology is here, so i take advantage, and i am still learning
the art of photography see some non edited shots of this beautifuk model

Feb 12, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add 2bruce to your Buddy List
isogood

Registered: Sep 19, 2005
Review Date: Feb 4, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: image quality, sharpness, lightweight, compact, great IS, comfort in use
Cons:
perhaps AF a little slower with IS on, but not sure...

I have upgraded from the non-IS version, and very happy with it, hard difference of price, but now I can make shots that I cannot made before without the IS, in those frequent situations you cannot use a monopod. A very comfortable feature.
First copy I received was not sharp, so I returned it, and the second copy received was perfect, so be careful…
Lens is compact and light, no comparison with the heavy 70-200 L 2.8 ! Great to travel and walkaround.
Image quality is as good as the non-IS version (I mean excellent !), perhaps a little better, but not sure… Difficult to see a difference.
Sharpness is good wide open, but better (superb) at 5.6 and 8, it declines at 11 and up.
Vignetting or Chromatic aberrations are negligeable.
Image quality is quite as good in the borders than in the center. That’s great.
Built quality and sealing seems to be very solid.
Not sure efficiency of IS is equivalent to 4 f-stops, perhaps 3…. You gand get sharp shots hand hold at 1/60 sec, or even 1/30, impossible with the non-IS.
AF seems to be a little slower than on the non-IS version, when IS on, but I’m not sure, just an impression. Perhaps need some practice of this feature.
It works perfectly, and deliver a superb image quality with the 1,4 x canon extender.

I like it very much, for sure a real upgrade coming from the non-IS version, if you often shot handhold.

You can see some samples and test shots in high resolution on my Pbase gallery, all original shots (IMG_ ) are with neutral settings on 20D and not any post-processing :

Patrick

Feb 4, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add isogood to your Buddy List
brimo

Registered: Oct 28, 2005
Review Date: Jan 31, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Significantly better than my previous 70-200 2.8 NON IS faster AF noticeably better Image quality, sharpness, contrast and colour. The IS is awsome, hanholdable down to 1/15s. Overall probably the best lens Cannon have produced!
Cons:
None!

Jan 31, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add brimo to your Buddy List
Tom Steele

Registered: Dec 15, 2006
Review Date: Jan 29, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,250.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Tack sharp, great IQ and the IS is rock solid. Very carryable. A pretty decent zoom in a lens that is reasonably able to be considered a long, but not too heavy, walkaround lens.
Cons:
None!

This is probably my favorite all around lens so far. It can do so much and is a very reasonable walkaround lens. It is physically long, but not too heavy or fat. I'm sure the f/2.8 version of this lens is nice for folks who need the speed, but for people who need the lighter carry factor of this lens, the f/4 aperture is the only downside to this lens.

It takes outstanding pictures and is extremely versatile at 70-200. The f/4 isn't terribly slow either, especially with the IS.

I would gladly recommend this lens to anyone looking for a 70-200 and not wanting the weight and price penalties of the f/2.8 version.

Jan 29, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Tom Steele to your Buddy List
forestmage

Registered: Sep 9, 2006
Review Date: Jan 25, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Ridiculously sharp!
Cons:
Absolutely none.

Sharp, sharp and sharp! Relatively lightweight (compared to f2.8 IS version) means I take it on hikes pretty easily and more often. Shooting with this lens is a joy. Feels good on my 400D and image quality is second to none.

Jan 25, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add forestmage to your Buddy List
Enir

Registered: Jan 7, 2006
Review Date: Jan 24, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Superb IQ, resistance to flare, weight, size, stabilized, built quality.
Cons:
None at all, but pity it's not black.

This lens substituded very succesfully the three L lenses I had in this range. With such a combination of IQ and convenience, I can’t think of a more amazing lens.

Jan 24, 2007