Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM

216 537590 Jun 1, 2014
l217_efs1755

To meet user demands for a fast EF-S zoom lens, Canon has specially designed a new lens with a large aperture of f/2.8 for select Canon Digital SLR cameras.* The large circular aperture produces a shallow depth-of-field, creating background blur that draws attention to the photographic subject. The lens construction includes UD and aspherical elements, which deliver impressive image quality throughout the entire zoom range. Image Stabilizer lens groups shift to compensate for camera movement so that the image appears steady on the image plane, ensuring clear, crisp images, even in dim light. With a Ring-type USM, inner focusing and new AF algorithms, this lens achieves autofocus quickly and quietly, and with full-time mechanical manual focusing, manually adjusting the focus is possible even in AF mode.

Focal Length & Maximum Aperture: 17-55mm 1:2.8
Diagonal Angle of View: 78°30' - 27°50'
Closest Focusing Distance: 1.15 ft. / 0.35m
Zoom System: 5-group helical zoom (front group moves: 27mm)
Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 3.3 in. x 4.4 in., 22.8 oz. / 83.5mm x 110.6mm, 645g (lens only)

Hank Endzelis

Registered: Dec 17, 2007
Review Date: Apr 30, 2008 Recommend? no | Price paid: $960.00 | Rating: 5

Pros: Constant f/2.8, IS, smooth operation, balance on a crop body
Cons:
Soft at f2.8, dust vacuum, price, build quality

I've had two over the last month and within days they both showed specks inside the front element although they were invisible on print so it didn't affect image quality. The first was soft in the corners at f/2.8 so I returned it and bought another only to have the same issues. I thought it balanced well on a 40D.
The build quality was decent but wasn't an L although it costs like one.

Apr 30, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Hank Endzelis to your Buddy List
jj sach md

Registered: Jan 22, 2006
Review Date: Apr 28, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: 'L' glass like picture quality, IS, f2.8
Cons:
Price you pay for plasticy build.

The IS and range on the 1.6x crop sensor led me to sell my 5D and downgrade to a second 30D!!! I do not regret the decision as IS and lower weight that 5D + 24-70L has been a life saver in some low light situations - I frequently work in very poorly lit venues and often need more focal range flexibility than a prime can offer. The lens focuses fast in low light situations unlike the Sigma and Tamron equivalents I tried in this focal range. I also really loved how much lighter the 30D + grip + flash + 17-55 was than the the 5D + 24-70L + grip + flash (a big thing for me if I am carrying two cameras on my shoulders all day).

I haven't had any dust problems in the 9 months or so I have used this lens inside and outside. It has been my workhorse lens.

Only down side for me is that the lens is L quality in all senses apart from the cheap plastic build. But still worth the money I paid for it.

Apr 28, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jj sach md to your Buddy List
puyan Kachani

Registered: Nov 24, 2006
Review Date: Apr 24, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 7

Pros: Fast 2.8 throughout zoom range, IS, light weight.
Cons:
Dust is inescapable, overpriced,no hood ,Build quality . Flares are terrible

Apr 24, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add puyan Kachani to your Buddy List
Joshua June

Registered: May 14, 2007
Review Date: Apr 15, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $850.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp as all get out, IS, IS, IS, silent, fast, efficient.
Cons:
vignetting, Canon's marketing policy.

I will own every Canon lens before I die! That being said after reading all the reviews on this lens I made sure I bought a REFURBISHED piece, and have not been disappointed. I have not had any specks of dust after a month of use but apparently they correct that problem with refurbished pieces (membrane seal???) I dunno.

Positives: 2.8, IS, sharpness, the rumors are all correct, this lens does exactly what others have said. This is a leave on your camera lens for almost anything anytime lens.

Negatives: The flare issue is sadly true, buy the hood it makes it worth while and worth the money.Vignetting, it is very average in this regard, no better, no worse for comparable lengths.

Comments: All do respect to all the other fine photographers on this site, however, It did not say L on the box, there is no red stripe on it, so... Quite you, it is not an L, stop complaining like it is an L. The glass just happens to be better then the 2 pieces of L I have/had (17-40, 70-200), as a matter of fact this little guy is better then my 50mm MK I prime, however it cannot macro like my 50 mm macro. The price was also clearly marked for the quality of the elements and the fine IS system loaded in it. However, like many point out its body is not an L build.

My major complaints are thus: for the price and the "glaring" weakness, Canon you should have included a hood, its a 50 cent premium don't be cheap when you really should be working for loyalty. I hear non-refurbished builds suck in dust which means that the plastic friction builds up a static charge, or they did not put in a membrane or sweep baffle in the original lots, Canon should reward, not punish loyalist willing to drop a grand on their products.

Buy this lens, but get a refurbished or one of the newest lots out of Japan.

Apr 15, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Joshua June to your Buddy List
alan328

Registered: Jul 16, 2006
Review Date: Mar 30, 2008 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Sharp! Good Color! Very helpful IS
Cons:
Dust problem

I have this lens for 1.5 year already.
I like this lens more than any other lens.

But one thing really bad, dust keep going in....

so, one day, I disambled it and remove the dust by myself.

Hope it is useful for other owners too

Mar 30, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add alan328 to your Buddy List
slyb

Registered: Mar 20, 2008
Location: Taiwan
Review Date: Mar 25, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: fast, extremely sharp, UD glass
Cons:
flare, cheap build, overpriced

Too much flare (with hood). Had to return it.
Make sure you try it before buying it!

Very sharp and fast otherwise. IS is wonderful.

Mar 25, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add slyb to your Buddy List
mmari

Registered: Mar 20, 2008
Review Date: Mar 22, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: end to end sharpness even wide open | f/2.8 | IS | no zoom creap
Cons:
price | weight | size | looks

perfect combo with 40D.

no complain about performance.

but its pricy, heavy, & big.

Mar 22, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mmari to your Buddy List
jfwoodman

Registered: Oct 31, 2007
Review Date: Mar 19, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $850.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: fast lens, terrific natural light performance, especially with IS
Cons:
worrying about dust (enough already!), no zoom lock

I've been very pleased with results achieved with the 17-55 on my 40d. Indoor, natural light shots are no problem with this fast lens, especially with the help of IS. Some question need for IS for focal length this short, but it really is an asset.

No problem with dust (yet), but I'm surprised I haven't heard any comments on the lack of a barrel zoom lock. Maybe I'm missing something and this is a feature not to be expected on a $900 lens, but I find it slightly annoying that the lens extends out if I have the camera over my shoulder...

But, all in all, I definitely recommend this lens as the primary lens for your 40D.

Mar 19, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jfwoodman to your Buddy List
Max10

Registered: Jun 15, 2007
Review Date: Mar 13, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 7

Pros: Image Quality
Cons:
Dust

Before purchasing EFS 17-55mm f/2.8 IS, I have gone through various other standard zoom lenses on crop sensor body. And I can say without hesitation that this lens lives up to my expectations in terms of image quality. In last three weeks of use, I have not noticed any flaw in optical quality. The IS paired with usable f/2.8 is capable of handling almost all situations. The USM enables fast and accurate AF. The FTM is very useful in focusing small subjects, when AF fails occasionally.

Unfortunately, my EFS 17-55mm f/2.8 IS is a DUST MAGNET. It has been sucking dust since the first week of INDOOR use. I put a UV filter, the moment I took it out of the box. However, it appears that the dust enters through barrel seal. Extending barrel design is not the limiting parameter for Canon to build a dust resistant lens. In overview of EF 24-105mm f/4L IS (extending barrel design), Canon confirms its “dust- and moisture-resistant construction” (http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=149&modelid=11924 ). To the best of my knowledge, Canon never confirmed dust resistant construction for EFS 17-55mm f/2.8 IS. Another interesting fact is that my Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 (extending barrel design, $350) does not have a single dust speck in it after two years of extensive use. It’s true that dust (in a reasonable quantity) has no effect on image quality, but very disappointing for a lens of this price. I do not know how much dust it will collect in the future. Anyway, lenses are not for every year’s purchase.

I recommend this lens, if internal dust is not important for yo

Mar 13, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Max10 to your Buddy List
lextalionis

Registered: Jul 28, 2007
Review Date: Mar 4, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $920.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Consistently produces sharp vivid captures throughout its entire zoom range.
Cons:
The zoom ring was stiff at about 30mm when I first bought it but now it's smooth throughout the zoom range. I wish the bokeh was a little more OOF at 55mm and f/2.8.

I bought this lens about 5 months ago and it has been a rock-solid performer. I've heard a lot about dust issues, but so far there isn't a spec of dust visible inside the lens. I mostly like this lens for candid family shots (indoors at home) and landscape/architecture shots.

I took this HDR shot hand-held (3 AEB exposures) and placed first for HDR over at texasphotoforums: http://www.motleypixel.com/public/hdr_missouri_shed.jpg

You can see a good handful of other shots taken with this lens and my 30D here:

Sample Photos

-Roy

Mar 4, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add lextalionis to your Buddy List
Chip Payet

Registered: Nov 2, 2007
Review Date: Feb 11, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $850.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Weight (much less than 24-70), fixed 2.8, very crisp images, rich color. Can't say I've seen any noticeable distortion at the edges for practical purposes.
Cons:

I've only had the lens for a couple weeks, and while I do wish it had a bit more range, I've been very pleased. So far I've used it: snow-covered landscapes from mountaintops in Whistler, Canada; banquet and lecture halls with poor lighting, close-ups of family at home, and at my daughter's 13th birthday in a low-light ballroom dance studio. It performed quite well in all these difficult conditions. I rate it equal to my 70-200 2.8L in image quality, and it will be my primary lens for some time, I imagine.

No dust after a couple weeks. Mine is a used factory refurb copy, and I put a filter on the moment it came out of the box. Price-wise it was great -- from B&H for $850 with warranty and all, lens hood, and clear digital filter it was still $25 less than a brand new one.

Feb 11, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Chip Payet to your Buddy List
Alb. de Wilde

Registered: Mar 31, 2007
Review Date: Jan 24, 2008 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 5

Pros: Nice looking.
Cons:
Poor sharpness, pricey

I own this lens since May 2006 and had no problems with dust at all. The problem with this lens is its poor image quality. Not as sharp as I like it and on the wide-angle side much distortion. A pricey lens like this should do much better.
I don't see much difference with the kitlens.

Jan 24, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Alb. de Wilde to your Buddy List
Cipi

Registered: Jan 12, 2008
Location: Romania
Review Date: Jan 12, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp, 77mm filter, IS + 2.8, great colors, contrast, the built quality is not so bad
Cons:
no hood and need special order

It was difficult to decide which lens to get. I was narrowing it down to 3 lenses 16-35 F2.8, 17-40 F4 and the 17-55 F2.8. I decided to go for the 17-55 F2.8 because of image stableliser and extra rich 55mm. This was more important to me than the weather sealing and the way it was built. I dont need a strong lens as Im not breaking nuts!!! The F2.8 + image stabaliser means 3 stops down from F 2.8 to F1.4. In general I am happy with the lens including the way its built (after reading reviews about it being poorly built and that it was very fragile). I believe it has a strong construction. 77mm filter size suits most of the lenses and dont need only 1 size filter.

After using the lens for more than 1 1/2 years in freezing conditions in Romania and high humidiy in Malayasian jungle to the very dry and dusty south Australia I have no dust on the lens (might be luck or a good made product). I have used filters all the time from first minute of use.

Concluding I am pleased with the lens and in the future it may get some dust but wont affect the image quality as its not in the focus, but would recommend it if you are looking for a fast lens with no weather sealing then this is the one for you.

Canon perhaps should make all lenses as standard dust sealed and weather sealed.

Overall I have got good results and very little post processing in Photoshop.

Jan 12, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Cipi to your Buddy List
jayceooi

Registered: Jul 23, 2007
Review Date: Jan 5, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $854.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: f/2.8, fast, silent, IS, sharp...
Cons:
Price? :P

It is a great lens. Much better than the kit lens 18-55 II. You have f/2.8 for all the range from 17mm to 55mm. Addition with IS, you can get a sharp photo even in low light condition. This makes it a great general lens. It stays on my 400D most of the time. Only change it when prime lens or longer focal length is needed.
I still did not see any dust after 3 months usage. Canon must have done something on new release. :D
Here are some samples with 400D, 580 EX II, WhaleTail Flash Diffuser (clone)
Lantern Festival 2007 at Auto-City (night)
Christmas Caroling (night)

Jan 5, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add jayceooi to your Buddy List
sven rose

Registered: Jul 9, 2007
Review Date: Jan 5, 2008 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: IS, good IQ, high keeper-rate
Cons:
dust (very littel dust, but only 3 month old, with UV-Filter mounted)

IS works great and allows special effects in low-light and longer exposures (al handheld):

Jan 5, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add sven rose to your Buddy List
Helmetfire

Registered: Oct 7, 2005
Review Date: Dec 30, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Fast, Sharp, IS works very well. No dust as of yet, so fingers crossed!
Cons:

I love this lens. It's on my 40D 99.9% of the time, and only comes off when I need to change to a long prime. As I said, I have had no dust problems, but I am very careful about where I use and change this lens.

Dec 30, 2007