Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM

214 530367 Nov 28, 2013
l217_efs1755

To meet user demands for a fast EF-S zoom lens, Canon has specially designed a new lens with a large aperture of f/2.8 for select Canon Digital SLR cameras.* The large circular aperture produces a shallow depth-of-field, creating background blur that draws attention to the photographic subject. The lens construction includes UD and aspherical elements, which deliver impressive image quality throughout the entire zoom range. Image Stabilizer lens groups shift to compensate for camera movement so that the image appears steady on the image plane, ensuring clear, crisp images, even in dim light. With a Ring-type USM, inner focusing and new AF algorithms, this lens achieves autofocus quickly and quietly, and with full-time mechanical manual focusing, manually adjusting the focus is possible even in AF mode.

Focal Length & Maximum Aperture: 17-55mm 1:2.8
Diagonal Angle of View: 7830' - 2750'
Closest Focusing Distance: 1.15 ft. / 0.35m
Zoom System: 5-group helical zoom (front group moves: 27mm)
Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 3.3 in. x 4.4 in., 22.8 oz. / 83.5mm x 110.6mm, 645g (lens only)

Page:  10 · 11 · 12 · 13 · 14

cocci

Registered: Mar 13, 2002
Review Date: Jun 15, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Focal length, f/2.8, image stabilizer, great sharpness even wide open and corner to corner, contrast and colour.
Cons:
"L" price, "L" quality lenses, but consumer grade build, pincushion distortion at the long end (35-55mm), flare and aperture ghosting if used without hood, hood not included.

It's really the ultimate APS-C lens: after getting this lens i'm not using anymore my 35L and my 50 1.4.
Highly recommended.

Jun 15, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add cocci to your Buddy List
Blurmore

Registered: Jul 28, 2005
Review Date: Jun 15, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,099.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Awesome resolving power, good color and saturation, near precognative autofocus.
Cons:
Price...Crop only compatability, nice build but not metal, weight (for a composite body) wide distortion of 2% may be on par with everything else but for 1100 dollars you expect more than everything else.

I'm a social photographer and this was an upgrade from the EF-S 17-85 IS USM. I was first on the list at my local shop for this lens.
With the 17-85 shooting large family groups I had to stop down to f8 to feel comfortable with edge sharpness, with the 17-55 I'm more than sharp enough at f4. I expected a lot from this lens at purchase after reading the European bench reviews. For 1100 dollars I expected 24-70 L sharpness, saturation, and color. I am not disappointed. Bokeh wise I don't feel like this lens is on par with the 24-70 L which exhibits nice smooth bokeh through the range. Bokeh with the 17-55 is nice at all fstops at 55mm but it gets a little "crunchy" stopped down from 17-35. I never thought I'd miss the 30mm at the long end of the 17-85 but in fact I have longed for it a few times over the last few weeks, but not enough to even consider going back. CA and flare I found to be minimal with the former only rearing its head in severely over exposed white shirts next to black tuxes in test exposures. At this pricepoint and lacking the red ring I'm not sure this is going to be a barn burner for Canon in sales. But for those who need a fast sharp standard zoom and have made a commitment to the crop body the lens is a must have and the IS just icing on the cake. I highly recommend it.

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Blurmore to your Buddy List
borderlight

Registered: Dec 6, 2004
Review Date: Jun 15, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,179.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sensible focal length, IS, excellent sharpness & color, f2.8, and a lens hood that is just the right size.
Cons:
Price, but that's really not a negative - just the way it is.

Here it is: the ultimate 1.6x body/camera lens that meandered it's way to the spotlight after being dangled before the public at the PMA show in February. This was, I hoped, the lens that would replace my slightly deficient 17-40 f4L. It turned out that I guessed right.

The 17-55 f2.8 IS is really one of a kind. There is nothing out there that can match it, not even those 3rd party hit or miss lenses with the endless abbreviations tacked on.... and of course Nikon doesn't count. It's a 27-88mm gem that is sharp at f2.8, produces color/contrast just slightly below an L-series lens (more natural), focuses fast, and allows 3 shutter speeds of slack in low light. Build quality is a slight notch below an L, but nothing close to what you would find on, say, a 70-300 IS. The front extends when zooming, but not as long as the extension of a 24-105L. It's smooth, but not L-smooth. I think it is just right, but of course there will be people out there who will wait 10 more years until lens company can fine tune this version. Until then the review will always include: 'wish it was an f1.8'; 'too bad it only fits a few 1.6X cameras'; 'it's really just a Tamron/Sigma/Quantray 17-55 f4.5 without the IS that I can get for $750'.

A word of caution though, don't sell your 17-40L because you will need it in the future for reasonably priced full-frame DSLRs. Think of the 17-55 f2.8 IS as a excellent lens, a fantastic backup for a 1.6X body, and something that understands you completely.

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add borderlight to your Buddy List
backfocus

Registered: Jan 19, 2005
Review Date: Jun 14, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: combination of focal range+IS+f=2.8
Cons:
price,wide open soft corners at 17-20 mm and blue color fringes at high contrast edges

First and most important: optical quality in the 17-40 mm at f=4.0 is at least on par with the 17-40/4.0L. Everything else is an addon.
Wide open in the range from 40-55 mm pictures are almost tremendous.
At the short end (17-20) corners are a little bit soft (f=2.8) and obviously benefit from stopping down. CA is less than with the 17-40/4L

My copy is currently at the Canon service center due to a strong backfocus on my 20D ( was working perfectly on my wifes 350D). The neverending story .....

Final words of wisdom: optical quality ist excellent ( some weakness wide open at 17mm in the corners). The combination of focal range, F=2.8 and IS is even better then excellent. It is a high quality workhorse.

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add backfocus to your Buddy List
dyregod

Registered: Jun 14, 2006

Pros: Very nice color and sharpness. IS make it possible to handhold in very dim light. AF is very fast and quiet.
Cons:
77 mm filters are expensive but as 77 mm is more or less standard on most high end zooms it's not that bad. Build quality is not quite what should be expected at such a price (similar to 17-40 in my opinion). EF-s lens..

Got this lens as I got tired of the kit lens. On my 300D the kit lens was rather ok but the kit lens I got with my 30D was much worse so I decided to buy this lens.

I have considered many other lenses before like the sigma 18-50, tamron 19-35, canon 17-40, 17-85 etc etc. but none of them really got me excited. The sigma/tamron etc mostly because of the noisy autofocus and the 17-40 because of it's limited range and 17-85 because it didn't offer that much of an improvement over my old kit lens. The sigma was the clear winner in build quality though..

I have a sigma 70-200 as well and don't really miss anything in the 55-70 range. But the sigma is much better built.

All in all though I'm very satified with the features and image quality of this lens .. so highly recommended if you're not too worried about ef-s..

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add dyregod to your Buddy List
DanC

Registered: May 15, 2005
Review Date: Jun 14, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,179.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great lens, images are clear without stopping down, I picked it up mid May, has not been off my 20D.
Cons:
Price, should be a 'L' lens, paid $54.00 for lens hood. Is a EF-S lens, can't use it on my EOS3.

I was leery about buying a non 'L' lens at that price,but I love the lens. It performs up to the reviews I have read so far and would highly recommend it to anyone using 20D etc

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add DanC to your Buddy List