Nikon D200

41 82299 Nov 25, 2013
NikonD200

10.2 effective megapixel Nikon DX Format CCD image sensor

Image sensor features high-speed 4-channel data output and a newly developed Optical Low Pass Filter

Advanced imaging processing engine with color-independent pre-conditioning and digital image processing algorithms that achieve fine color gradations with exceptionally smooth, consistent transitions

Newly developed 11-area AF system with selectable 7 wide-area AF mode and effective new focus area options

3D Color Matrix Metering II with 1,005-pixel RGB sensor ensures accurate exposure control and white balance

New image optimization modes help produce results more closely matching the intended results

Near-instant response with 0.15 sec. power-up, 50-millisecond shutter time lag and 105-millisecond viewfinder blackout

Fast 5 frames per second in bursts of up to 22 consecutive NEF (RAW) or 37 JPEG (Fine-Large) images

Shutter speeds ranging from 30 to 1/8,000 sec. for full creative control

Creative in-camera Image Overlay and Multiple Exposure effects

GPS support for recording location-specific information along with shooting data

Large 2.5" LCD monitor with ultra-wide 170° viewing angle for clear image preview and easy access to settings and information, including new RGB Histograms and the new Recent Settings list

Large new top LCD panel displays a wealth of information on settings and shooting status

Lightweight, durable magnesium alloy body protected by enhanced sealing system

Large, bright viewfinder offering 0.94x magnification

New high-energy EN-EL3e rechargeable lithium-ion battery delivers the power to shoot up to 1,800 pictures on a single charge, and provides detailed battery status information (Battery life figure determined by in-house test parameters)

Optional MB-D200 battery pack extends shooting capability, enhances stability, and provides the further shooting potential of added controls

Built-in Speedlight with i-TTL flash control and full support for Nikon's Creative Lighting System

Support for the Wireless Transmitter WT-3 enables direct cable-free image transfer to a compatible computer

Includes Nikon’s PictureProject software for easy control over image adjustment and management

Supported by Nikon Capture 4 (version 4.4) software, which fully unlocks the extensive potential of NEF (Nikon Electronic Format)

(more...)

Dpedraza

Registered: Jan 8, 2013
Review Date: Nov 25, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $300.00 | Rating: 9

Pros:
Cons:

This was my first semi pro DSLR after I outgrew my D60. I loved this camera a lot. The camera was very easy to use and navigate through the menus. the Build quality was a big step up from my d60. With good glass this camera is still a valid option even today with all the different options out there

Nov 25, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Dpedraza to your Buddy List
xabi

Registered: Mar 3, 2008
Review Date: Oct 27, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $700.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Well build, fast operation, good image quality, superb AF performance in low light
Cons:

I have this camera for a while and I'm very happy with my decision. I'm really impressed by the build quality and the AF/metering performance. Also, people usually complain about noise in this camera. I, however, really like the high ISO noise. It is grainy, especially in the shadow areas, but it has a high-speed-film appeal to it. I personally don't mind the noise so much but maybe it's just me.

Note that this D200 is now a two-generation-old camera (the D300s has already been released). No doubt the new D300 would be better, but this D200 is much cheaper.

Oct 27, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add xabi to your Buddy List
DavidWEGS

Registered: Apr 15, 2004
Review Date: Sep 26, 2008 Recommend? no | Price paid: $1,699.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Great overall functionality and speed.
Cons:
Files suck beyond 800 iso and even the 800 is only decent to me.

Not a bad camera if you stay in reasonable light or use flash/auxiliary lights.

I loved the feel of it, the operations are crisp and speedy. However, in the end i gave it up as the files around and above 800iso are not so great.

Sep 26, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add DavidWEGS to your Buddy List
ray_lam5

Registered: Sep 18, 2005
Review Date: Jul 14, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: great ergonomics, nice screen, like the focusing screen, bright viewfinder, user interface, build quality
Cons:
Lots of noise at 800 and above, hot pixels, quite heavy

I owned a D200 coming from a canon 1D/ 350D and a Nikon D50. The camera performs excellently in bright conditions and well done to nikon for the excellent grip and user interface it is superior to Canon gear.

My only gripe was the image quality was not comparable to my 1D in good light and barely much better in low light conditions. I was dismayed to see that there were even hot pixels in several places when images were taken anything above iso400. The D50 was a better low light performer than the D200 although focusing was not quite on par.

I ended up selling the d200 because of the issues with low light and hot pixelling. I imagine nikon sorted these issues out with the D300 which seems like a compelling and worthwhile upgrade.

IMHO the original 1D is still king those huge photosites are amazing....

Jul 14, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ray_lam5 to your Buddy List
Chris Kays

Registered: Feb 13, 2007
Review Date: Jul 16, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,150.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Speed, durability (it's a Nikon), great with the MB-200 grip.
Cons:
None that I can think of.

I have owned three different Nikon bodies, starting with a D50, then up to the D80, now the D200. The D200 is a great camera, no other way to put it. With the addition of the grip, this camera is great for any photographer from the amateur to the professional.

Jul 16, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Chris Kays to your Buddy List
dave chilvers

Registered: Jan 11, 2002
Review Date: Jun 11, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Just the most ergonomic digital SLR you can handle
Cons:

OK! I`m not going to rant on for page after page because you just need to handle this baby to fall in love with the handling. Sure, it`s not as noise free as my Canons but the images straight out of the camera are so well colour balanced and real life looking that a touch of noise reduction does the trick(not too much or you lose the film like look to the images)

This will become a classic for years to come, it`s such a joy to use.

Jun 11, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dave chilvers to your Buddy List
jefflee

Registered: Feb 23, 2005
Review Date: Jun 1, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,324.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Build, performance, image quality, and "feel".
Cons:
high ISO noise (on mine >1600, but Noise Ninja works fine)

I put about 30K on my D70 in two years, and have a good understanding of what I want in a camera. The D200 is the perfect camera for me.

When paired with CS3 and Noise Ninja (for very high ISO >1600, which I shoot about once a year) there is nothing that this camera cannot image.

The build and ergonomics are incredible. The 5 fps, fast focus, incredible metering and flash systems, and the fact that it uses my current lenses extremely well, means that I am happy.

Glass is the heart of any good system and this camera works well with older and the new. The 10 Meg. resloution is about all my dual core can handle once I start with layers. The files print near perfect on my Epson 2400, and I have lots of crop room.

It could be considered heavy, except when considering that this is pro level camera, it is very light in weight.

I got mine for $1324 and due to my lens "collection" I would not consider any other brand, so it was a D200 or D80. With the great deal I got on a USA model, it was for me an easy decision.

No matter if a new model came out tomorrow, I would still be extremely happy with the D200 and expect to use it for a long time.

Jun 1, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add jefflee to your Buddy List
Louis Otto

Registered: May 25, 2007
Review Date: May 25, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Layout of controls, 10mp sensor, quality of results, user friendliness, build quality is fantastic, 2.5 screen is bright and sharp with good colour. Weather sealing.
Cons:
Battery life isn't quite what it could be

I switched to this camera from using Canon 30Ds and 5Ds and I must say that this beats the competition right down.

The quality of this camera is outstanding. The body is just the right size and weight, and the magnesium alloy build is robust enough to withstand hard wear. Weather sealed compartments are another big bonus. Compartments are comfortably damped and solidly sealed.

This is every inch the pro's camera in my opinion, 5fps for sports, enough megapixels to cover a full magazine double spread and cover weddings and events easily. And the quality of the images is always reflected by your technique, it's very unforgiving!

The battery life isn't quite what it should be, certainly not long enough for a full day's shooting. Personally I prefer the feel of larger cameras like the Canon EOS 1D and Nikon D2X so I opted for the battery grip, which adds comfortable weight and size AND the extra battery life required.

I would HIGHLY recommend this for pros and enthusiasts alike, I have never enjoyed photography as much as when I use this camera!

May 25, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Louis Otto to your Buddy List
Archimago

Registered: May 14, 2006
Review Date: Mar 31, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent build. Very nice pictures - color, metering spot on. Fantastic Nikon ergonomics. Love the ability to use old AI(S) lenses. Personally I prefer having screw drive lenses for AF so the lens is less complicated and better camera bodies lead to better focus speed - plus I prefer putting $$ into the glass rather than electronics.
Cons:
Image a bit more noisy than Canon competition > ISO400. However, still very usable and NoiseNinja/NoiseWare/etc does the trick so long as exposure is right (applies to all cameras obviously).

Had been using the D70 for >2 years before upgrading. Wanted to upgrade to more resolution, better color rendition, improved metering, and faster AF. Well, I certainly got all this with the D200. Furthermore, the ability to meter old manual focus lenses has been a treat! The image quality and build of some of the AIS lenses are truly superb... And relatively cheap!

The magnesium body feels great though heavier than D70 obviously (more "pro" feel I guess). I've also got the MB200 grip for times whan I need more batttery life or anticipate lots of portrait shots [most of the time], and don't mind lugging around something looking like the D2x.

So far, this is clearly more camera than I need at this time so planning on keeping it for awhile or unless image quality improves very significantly.

Mar 31, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Archimago to your Buddy List
Thang

Registered: Jan 25, 2004
Review Date: Nov 28, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: price, performance, handling, built/quality, IQ
Cons:
frame rate, banding issue

This is the 2nd D200 that I have owned in 15 months. The first had banding issue so I returned it. I bought the 2nd unit used and it has been serving me very well.

I used to own the D2X but sold it and opted for the D200. I sold the D2X b/c I feel that for a $4k camera, its high ISO performance should have been better. To me, in terms of ISO noise, the D200 is about 1/3 to 1/2 fstop cleaner than the D2X. On the other hand, the AF system on the D2X is slightly better than the D200. Please note that I only said "slightly better." The CAM1300 in the D200 has surpassed my expectation for a camera at this price point.

AF on the D200 blown the 10d/20d/30d away, specifically its tracking capability. When I was using the 30d w/ the 500 4.5L lens to track a flying osprey (center AF point w/ AI Servo), in 5fps mode, the 30 would only give me 1 or 2 sharp images. The rest would just be blurred. AF could not lock and hold on to the subject. With the D200, my rate of keeper is much much higher. Out of a burst of 5, I may get only 1 or 2 unsharp shots.

ISO wise, the 30d is about 1/3 to 1/2 fstop cleaner than the D200. This can be fixed via Neat Image or Noise Ninja. On the flip side, I like the colors from the d200 more. It's just more vibrant. But then again, this can also be fixed via PP. The extra 2mp on the D200 may not sound like alot but for me, it gives the extra flexibility/room for cropping during PP.

Handling and built, the D200 feels better in my hands than the 30d. The rubberized finish is a bit softer on the D200, which makes it easier to grab. The hand grip on the D200 also fits my hand better as well. Furthermore, the vertical grip for the D200 feels and fits better than the grip for the 30d.

So far, I have put about 8k shots through my D200. It hasn't given me any issue/problem. If I have anything to complain, I would want the high speed frame rate to be 6 instead of 5fps. Other than that, I think at the moment, it's a perfect camera for sport/nature/wildlife/studio/casual shoots.

Nov 28, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Thang to your Buddy List
vennfam

Registered: Apr 23, 2006
Review Date: Nov 24, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: just about everything
Cons:
none as yet

Early days yet, though so far I can find no fault with my D200. "Out of the box" images are admittedly a bit soft, but that is what unprocessed digital images are like - Bayer anti-aliasing filters are not sharpness friendly. This is easily compensated for in camera (if you wish) by setting sharpening to high or out of camera - assuming you are shooting in NEF or NEF + jpg - in Capture NX or Photoshop. I am NOT going to complain that Nikon do not mess about with the image before I can get at it!

I have been using a Fuji S2Pro for the last 4 or 5 years and still think it is a fantastic camera. But the D200 leaves it standing. Truly awe inspiring performance. Don't hesitate, buy one now! I see many other reviewers have commented adversely on the D200's battery performance. I don't know what they have been doing but I am astonished by how LONG the battery lasts - hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of exposures. I have not yet managed to flatten one in a full day of shooting without flash, and that seems good enough to me.

Any specific queries on my experience with the D200, send me an e-mail.

Nov 24, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add vennfam to your Buddy List
Espen Hildrup

Registered: Nov 10, 2006
Review Date: Nov 16, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 7

Pros: Well built; easy to use. 5 frames/sec.
Cons:
Too much noise already at ISO (560 and) 800.

I bought my D200 in september - and sold it yesterday; got a Canon 5D today.

For me, the D200 was a disappointment. I used Olympus E1 before; and maybe I didn't realize what a great camera E1 is - because I've been missing it all the time ...

First: The noise level is too high ! Already at ISO 560 it started to bother me. At ISO 800 I had to use Noiseware. (The E1 was even worse; but that's another story ...).
Second: I use Capture One Pro as raw converter; and getting the images sharp, I had to go all the way to 400 (max) in sharpness. At lower sharpness levels the pictures simply came out not sharp enough. I tried with several lenses - and it didn't change.

I simply don't understand all the postive reviews the D200 gets. It makes me think that reviewers try to avoid Canon getting monopoly ...

If you need 5 fps and don't need higher ISO than 400; then D200 will do the trick.

Otherwise; take a serious look at the noise levels before you buy it !!

Nov 16, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Espen Hildrup to your Buddy List
johnmueller

Registered: Jan 9, 2006
Review Date: Nov 8, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,599.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Build quality, 95% of functionality of D2X(s) for 1/3 price. Bright viewfinder. Multiple noise reduction. 5fps. ISO in the window, as well as metering in window and on top LCD.
Cons:
Noise. Just a little more noticable than the equiv Canon product

I recieved this as a gift on Sunday, and even though I haven't posted any photos yet, my initial opinion is that this is a very well made camera, and Nikon (who takes their time unveiling new products) really nailed this one. One look through the viewfinder and you can see how bright and vivid it is. It's lightning quick and hopefully I'll have more photos to post soon.

Nov 8, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add johnmueller to your Buddy List
Bob.Heath

Registered: Feb 6, 2005
Review Date: Sep 12, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Price, Build, Functions Lay-out, Picture contrast, Dynamic Range
Cons:
Not a D2x, but not the price of one either :-)

I bought this as a back up camera to my D2x, but it is getting a lot more use than that. Almost equal to the D2x, and if dynamic range is a key for the shot than I choose it over the D2x.

The optional Vertical Grip is not at the same build quality as the body, but the additional battery gives methe longevity to do a full day's shooting and then some.

I just returned from a month touring Italy, where I was getting 400 - 500 shots a day on the D200 with most of the battery charge remaining. All shots were RAW uncompressed, only and I was chimping every shot, always used AF, using VR, and internal flash for fill light. I have not experienced the battery life concern I have been reading about in the forums. I did buy the grip and an second battery at the same time as the camera though, and it has never been off the camera, which reminds me, I need to remember where I put the battery door :-)

I am glad the D2x came out first, because I would have most likely never bought it after owning the D200. Why am I glad then, because the D2x still has the lead with color balance, tonal quality, and over all picture quality, but this is a review on the D200.

Bottom line this is well worth the price even doubled, IMHO. It has become an equal in use with my D2x.

Sep 12, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Bob.Heath to your Buddy List
dj dunzie

Registered: Aug 14, 2006
Review Date: Sep 11, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Construction / build quality, image quality, control layout, viewfinder / LCD screen, feature set vs. cost, "pro feel", menus, compatibility with older Nikkors, vibrant results, quick AF.
Cons:
Battery life, newly-rediscovered addiction to photography hurting family time.

Let me preface this review by stating that this camera is NOT my backup body or "second" camera as a pro photographer. This is an upgrade from a D70s and I am predominantly a hobbyist, although a very keen one, and have only very rarely been paid for my efforts. This camera is now my main body.

Having said that, after two days with the new D200, I couldn't be happier. I have played around shooting sports, landscapes, portraits, and just about everything in and around my home, and I am thrilled with the results. Not making money at it to offset my expenses, I can't afford to make a mistake in judgement, and thankfully, the D200 has impressed me in every way over the D70s.

First off, the controls and layouts are - once you get used to this camera - designed perhaps perfectly for me. I begin to question how I lived with the D70s for so long. The "crown" of controls on the left, the easy shooting mode selector, the brilliant menu navigation... it's perfect. I added the MB-D200 battery grip with my purchase and I'm glad I did. Simply put, this camera really does have a more "pro" feel than anything else in its price range. It feels solid, stable, and significant in your mitts. I couldn't picture going with a 30D or back to the D70s now.

The LCD and viewfinder are monumental improvements on the D70s, both in size, and in usefulness. The ability to zoom in more on your shots is fantastic. The menu system is very easy to go through, and on this LCD it just looks great.

The AF system is improved drastically over the D70s. It's quicker and more accurate and more varied in terms of zone options.

Other advantages for me include the ability to use older Nikkor and MF lenses, which opens up a whole new world of used lens buying fun (or agony if you look at your bank account often). And the 10.2MP jump IS important to me since I shoot a lot of sports and now have the ability to crop down a little without sacrificing my ability to blow up prints.

And finally, the resulting images have been VERY impressive to me. The colors seem more vivid, the contrast better, and of course with the higher resolution comes some advantage too. The D200 seems to pack a great image very easily into those 10.2 MP... I haven't played around with ISO settings above 1600 yet, but noise levels appear better at each level than on the D70s. Then again, I tend to do the vast majority of my shooting between 200-800. I feel I'm more likely to take advantage of the 100 setting as opposed to the steps beyond 1600.

Gripes? OK, I guess if I have to get finicky, I had to purchase a set of new batteries for this one, because my EN-EL3A's won't work. Similarly, my ML-L3 remote doesn't work with this D200, and the remote unit for this camera is very expensive comparatively. Battery life is much shorter (literally less than half of that on the D70s!), so you will DEFINITELY want a backup or two (or the MB-D200 grip which adds vertical controls). And suddenly a 1GB card isn't quite the monster I felt it was on my D70s with the smaller image files. Hand in hand with that, a 10.2MP file is slower loading and working with on the computer. However, these nitpicks are just that... nitpicks, on what is a truly incredible machine.

In summary, I think the D200 fits my needs and wants to a T. Sure, you might get a few more FPS on the D2XS, or slightly better high ISO noise control on the 30D. But for the money, in my books, there isn't a camera better suited to my uses in this price range, or one that competes with it bang-for-buck. As a mid-range body, the D200 definitely seems to lean more towards the pro end of the feature and performance spectrum than the novice in every way. Highly recommended to anyone considering the jump from a more entry-level body, Nikon or otherwise...

Sep 11, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dj dunzie to your Buddy List
Pilot2

Registered: Jan 2, 2006
Review Date: Sep 5, 2006 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 3

Pros: Build quality
Cons:
focus / focus sensor, battery life,banding, exposure inaccuracy, quality control , after sales service , everything except the build.

Of the 10 Nikon pro bodies that i have owned over the last 23 years the D200 has been the worst , the first one banded the second one does not focus properly is soft and one I was lent locked up . When sent in for service it only had 500 shots on it and it looks like I wont see it for about 25 days it's been 12 now. i will not be buying another Nikon product .

Sep 5, 2006