Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM

174 279665 Aug 20, 2014
85II

Retaining the impressive optical performance and large aperture of the original EF 85mm f/1.2L USM, this new medium telephoto lens uses a Ring-type USM, high-speed CPU and optimized algorithms to achieve an autofocus speed approximately 1.8x faster than the original. The high-speed AF and circular aperture create a shallow depth-of-field that brings attention to the subject and blurs the background, which is ideal for portraits and weddings. The floating optical system, which includes an aspherical lens element, suppresses aberrations and ensures excellent imaging performance.

(more...)

nomadbelat

Registered: Sep 28, 2009
Review Date: Sep 28, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: silent focus, great manual focus action, insane bokeh, fits well in hand, looks impressive, beautiful color rendition
Cons:

I wanted to try this lens for a long time. When I got my 5D II, I knew I had to try it. It was weird when I first put it on. I hated the manual focus; it was so different. By the end of the first day of shooting with it, I wanted all of my lenses to employ the same kind of manual focus. I absolutely love it. It's so smooth and precise. Even in full daylight, you can shoot at 1.2 and get absolutely crisp images. I never stopped it down. I am saving a little each pay period to get this lens. I'm in love.

Sep 28, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add nomadbelat to your Buddy List
DamienG

Registered: Aug 14, 2009
Review Date: Aug 14, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Fantastic colour reproduction, very sharp when stopped down.
Cons:
Can only be stopped down to f16, manual focus feels loose and is difficult to use

I've had wanted one of these for a very long time, and when I eventually went out and got one was blown away by how good they actually are. If I had to give up all my lenses and could only keep one it would be this one.
I use it a lot for indoor sport. It needs to be stopped down to at least f2.2 for consistant results, by f2.8 it's easily the best lens I own for sharpness and colour reproduction.
I was worried that the focusing would be too slow for sports duties, but I have found no problems when using it on either my 1dmk3 or 1dsmk3.
As a portrait lens (or shooting anything that's not moving) I don't believe Canon currently produce a better lens.
Wherever I go I now always have this on one of my bodies ready to go. It's very sharp from f1.2 right through to f16.
The only downside to this lens that I have noticed is it's focusing ring.... It's rubbish. It has a lot of play in it, and makes fine adjustments very difficult. Best leave this lens in auto focus.
As far as image quality goes, this lens blows away everything else I own, even my 200 f2L IS.

Aug 14, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add DamienG to your Buddy List
andywang

Registered: Jul 7, 2009
Review Date: Jul 8, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Superb Excellent photo quality & DOF, Perfect use for full frame camera, potraiture, candid shot.
Cons:
Slower then 85mm F1.8, Heavy but I know WHY.

Love this lens very much, photo will from ordinary change to extraordinary thru this lens! Amazing lens!!!

Jul 8, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add andywang to your Buddy List
emandavi

Registered: Feb 15, 2005
Review Date: Jun 18, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,760.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: The bokeh is unbeatable. ...and the images are crisp and clean, even at 1.2 aperture.
Cons:
expensive, but I can understand why!

I used this lens on my 1D camera, and it blew me away. Samples here, mostly taken at 1.4 and 1.2 aperture.

I kept using it, even after the sun had set. I now realize how beatiful natural light photography can be when doing portraitures.

I only wish I'd bought this sooner. I recommend it be used on a professional camera like 1D() series. Their focus speed is amazing. Tried it on a Rebel XTi, and a lot of the shots were blurry.

Jun 18, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add emandavi to your Buddy List
sixgun

Registered: Nov 21, 2006
Review Date: Jun 8, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Speed, Sharpness, Color, Bokeh, Outrageous Creative potential!
Cons:
None, Really.

This lens is a bit pricey, and for all practical purposes at 1.2 - 2.8 this is a manual focus lens - but what you get is nothing short of a work of art in glass if you know how to control it. I prefer manual focus to control DOF anyway - but some will not. I was absolutely blown away the very first time I used this lens. It has been on my 1D Mark III since the day I got it and never been off since. All of my portrait work is now done using this lens and the ability to soft focus in low light is better than anything I have every experienced. The only other lens I have seen that comes close in IQ is the 300L IS Prime (at $4400) - it really is THAT good.

Jun 8, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add sixgun to your Buddy List
blktaln

Registered: Nov 1, 2008
Review Date: May 14, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: build quality, sharp, creamy bokeh, shows nice saturated colors and contrast...
Cons:
draws battery, slow focus...

just received this lens... it's magical. it captures nice colors and contrast, creates nice bokeh, to me... it's worth every penny!

May 14, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add blktaln to your Buddy List
alyssajul

Registered: May 12, 2009
Review Date: May 12, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,650.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: pops the foreground like no lens i've ever seen. beautiful backgrounds, great in low light.
Cons:
steep learning curve, heavy, a little slow, costs a small fortune

I never leave for a session or wedding without this lens. In spite of its cost I would still buy this lens if its price doubled tomorrow. It really is that amazing. It takes practice, don't get me wrong. The depth of field gets real shallow, real fast as you approach f/1.2, but once you've mastered it, you'll wonder how you ever shot a portrait session without this baby. Just buy it.

May 12, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add alyssajul to your Buddy List
x0SiN0x

Registered: Jan 10, 2006
Review Date: Mar 29, 2009 Recommend? | Price paid: $1,870.00

Pros: Impressively sharp wide open when focus is dead on
Cons:
inconstant focus on two cameras, focus ring is a little awkward

I originally rated this lens very highly, but after getting very inconstant focus I brought the lens in for testing. I had issues with this lens front and back focusing no matter what was done. I bought this lens to use at almost wide most of the time, so when focus was off at all it was not good. Im going to give this lens another try after some time, im hoping my copy had an issue. Originally thought my camera, but tried in a 20D and rebel with similar results.

Mar 29, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add x0SiN0x to your Buddy List
kevindar

Registered: May 6, 2006
Review Date: Mar 6, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: excellent sharpness, great microcontrast, colors, very accurate focusing
Cons:
purple fringing, a little slow, price.

I bought this used on FM, while the Live.com rebates were going on for a final cost of 1400. I already owned 85 1.8, and was not planning to hold on to the 1.2 for long.
The lens quickly became my favorite. for available light portraits, it truly a remarkable lens. I also shot with the 135L, and much prefer the focal length and larger aperture of this lens. PF is a problem but correctable in acr. sharpness is truly remarkable.

Mar 6, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add kevindar to your Buddy List
x0SiN0x

Registered: Jan 10, 2006
Review Date: Mar 5, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,870.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, bokeh is silky smooth, solid build
Cons:
Slow AF, Heavy, Price, not impressed with the hood

Mar 5, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add x0SiN0x to your Buddy List
kobold2

Registered: Mar 16, 2006
Review Date: Feb 3, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp, DOF, colours, contrast, bokeh, overall IQ, build, hood
Cons:
price, weight, extending front element

Most exciting lens I own at the moment (still love my lensbaby tho). It is not just a portrait lens, but to shoot in any - especially low light situation: concerts, plays, functions, street photography. AF is not fast, but it is usable and with a good eye, manual focusing is still a viable option even at f/1.2. With AF servo in motor drive mode I can get a lot of keepers as well, when shooting gigs. Sharper than real life :-) Sharper wide open than my 70-200 @f/5.6-8.0 (at 400%) I think. That is after the micro AF adjustment of -11 on my 50D (the 70-200 was spot on already). I can't tell about the corner sharpness as I shoot w/ a crop camera but I will get a FF partially b/c to be able to see what it can do there. Closed down it is sharp as well until diffraction kicks in at f/8.0 or so on the 50D, but still sharp until f/11 and even further. I don't see much point shooting with a more narrow aperture anyway most of the time. The colours & contrast are better than on the 16-35mm MkI the 50mm f/1.4 or the 70-200mm f/4, which are pretty great already. The build quality is unsurpassed, but I find it hard to handle w/o a portrait grip; with a bg-e2n all is good. Still wish it would be lighter sometimes... B/C of the extending front element I keep the hood on it at all times, so not really a problem. Sometimes it is hird to change from AF to MF w/o looking... Overall a cool lens which I would buy again espeically for the price I got this copy (sheer luck when the aussie dollar collapsed). Go get one!

Feb 3, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add kobold2 to your Buddy List
felipin

Registered: Dec 1, 2005
Review Date: Jan 28, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Image quality (stunning, unique!), BOKEH
Cons:
Still slow AF, not cheap...

I was very happy with the Mark I version of this lens (apart from some lack of accuracy when focusing wide open and the well known AF slowness), but I had the chance to get a mint Mark II sample at a very sweet price and now I'm even happier, since AF is noticeably faster and I think that also more accurate. I find that image quality is the same for both versions.

This lens is unique, a world apart, specially for using it wide open (I think that from f2.8 or 4 it's hard to say the difference between the L lens and the very good and much cheaper 85 1.8).

I love it!

Jan 28, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add felipin to your Buddy List
mzemljic

Registered: Jan 25, 2009
Location: Croatia
Review Date: Jan 26, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: The master of diffusion and three dimension image maker
Cons:
Slow Focus? Front element!

85 f/1,2 L II is simply the best portrait lens in my opinion.

It let me close inough to a model for good communication and again it let Your model inough relaxed to get nature sight.
At 1,2 the lens is sharp, and bokeh is so cream and dreamlike...

My best by ever...

(I' am not under any forum influence nor do I' ve owned cheap lenses before so I couldn't be "stoned" by image quality of new lens)

Strongly recomended for portraits, weddings...

Samples:

Regards, mzemljic

Jan 26, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add mzemljic to your Buddy List
joezasada

Registered: Feb 24, 2005
Review Date: Jan 16, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Best portrait lens EVER. Screams of optical quality. Incredible bokeh. If there is only one reason to use Canon EOS, this is it!
Cons:
Difficult lens to use. You have to NAIL your focus at wide apertures - a lot more so than most other lenses. Expensive.

Quickly becoming one of my favorite lenses, the 85L II is an optical force major...

*the AF is fast enough for anything except sports
*the focus is quite precise - a lot more so than most other lenses - but this is needed with the really narrow depth of field at wider apertures
*focus-by-wire takes some getting used to but otherwise works fine
*not a lens for amateurs. you need a lot of skill to get the best results - but when you do, the results are outstanding!

Jan 16, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add joezasada to your Buddy List
alanwarp

Registered: Oct 8, 2007
Review Date: Jan 5, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: image quality (bokeh, sharpness, compression, colors)
Cons:
chromatic aberration and fringing; weight; price; exposed rear element; focus-by-wire;

There's not much to say that hasn't been said. Basically this lens appears to be designed around image quality, period. In that aspect, it's design is amazing.

In other aspects it's weaker, but obviously that was the design trade-off.

To me, the weight was surprising, but once on a 5D with grip, it feels nicely balanced.

I think if you have good focusing technique, using the '*' button, you will get good results, I was able to get in focus shots at 1.2 right away (no all of them, but promising results), it obviously a knife edge your playing on, but not as hard as some may have made it out to be.

I was really surprised by the sharpness at 1.2 also.

The chromatic aberration and green fringing is a bit annoying, but you can work around that in post processing, the price you pay, I guess, for working at 1.2.

Bokeh is amazing.

I've found focus is somewhat slow, but accurate on my 5D, if you don't have enough light for focusing it is annoying that it takes so long for the lens to hunt from near focus distance to infinity and back, seems like an eternity, but in regular use the focus ring is traveling much less so at least I don't notice it much.

I guess there is a reason for focus by wire, but it's an inconvenience that you need camera power to retract the lens, since it doesn't have internal focus.

Rear element exposure is a bit scary.

That's about it, I love this lens, and can see keeping it for a very long time.

Jan 5, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add alanwarp to your Buddy List
Conrad Tan

Registered: Dec 8, 2007
Review Date: Jan 1, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Hands down the most beautiful portrait lens I have ever used (if you can get your subject in focus).
Cons:
Really having a hard time with the focus-by-wire feature. Its faster than my buddy's Mark I version, but its no 85 f/1.8 with regards to speed.

The keeper rate with someone of my skill level (been shooting for a year) is very low. I am just not used to the ultra paper thin DOF at f/1.2. And the almost 1 meter minimum focus distance keeps me backing up often to get my shots, but both of these "flaws" are really more of my skill level at using such a lens. My keepers are amazing. Bokeh is so beautiful I cannot help but stare at just how creamy it is. Don't think you can just pick up this lens and it will start producing great pictures. It takes lots and lots of practice! I'm still practicing every day!

Jan 1, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Conrad Tan to your Buddy List

Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM