Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II

350 543880 Sep 26, 2014
8.6
ef50mmf_18_1_

This is the lightest EF lens of all at a mere 4.6 oz. (130g). Compact and high-performance, standard lens. Its Gaussian optics provide sharp delineation from near to far focusing distances. The color balance is excellent for a standard lens.

juberisk2

Registered: Sep 16, 2005
Review Date: Sep 29, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $70.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: inexpensive, sharp, 1.8
Cons:
none at this price point

this really is the best bang for buck in all of photography. and it's so cheap that you need not put a UV filter on it to protect it...if you scratch or break it, just buy a new one.

I concur that it is very good at f/1.8 and sharp at f/2.8. if you're on a tight budget, this is the best lens you can buy for portraits, shallow depth of field, or lowlight photography. period.

Sep 29, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add juberisk2 to your Buddy List
Don Farra

Registered: Sep 4, 2007
Review Date: Sep 28, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $108.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharp low light lens, with fast and accurate focusing. Low cost makes it a great value. Low distrotion and flare resistant. Does not draw attention, which allows for great candids. Doesn't say steal-me in seven diferent languages.
Cons:
Somewhat noisy focusing when the lens hits the rails, min-max distances, you will hear a clunk noise. Plastic contruction to the extreme, outside of the electrical contacts I don't think there is any metal in the lens.

This is a lightwieght, small, low cost lens that in the right hands can produce some outstanding images. Great for candid portraits, travel, interior images and camping. Put it on a good tripod, lock up the mirror and use a cable release and sit back and be surprised on just how well this lens can capture all the details. Do not underestimate the creative enabling power of a 50mm lens 1.8 lens. Hand holding will allow the phototgrapher to capture available light images with a shallow depth of field to isolate your subject, something other EF-IS lenses cannot reproduce.

Sep 28, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Don Farra to your Buddy List
Dawei Ye

Registered: Sep 14, 2007
Review Date: Sep 22, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $100.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp Images; (Relatively) Cheap in Price
Cons:
Breaks very easily, and even when not broken it feels like it will imminently break; Not Cheap enough to be "Disposable" Not wide enough on a 1.6X Crop Autofocusing in the dark

I'm an absolute newbie but here are my views:

Paid $125 AUD (around $100 US) which is exceptionally cheap compared to my Tamron 17-50mm which was $560 AUD (though still cheap) and $970 for my EOS 400D (Rebel XTi)

Wow! When I first purchased it I thought this is a piece of crap, my Powershot A640 gave sharper images, but now that I have learnt how to take photos properly with my 400D, it is very sharp. the A640 also gave sharp images, but they had that 'grainy' noise stuff you get from sharpening in Photoshop, so I assume it is due to more aggressive in camera sharpening. The 50mm f/1.8 on a 400D gives both SHARP and CLEAN results with barely any of that oversharpened noise/squiggly thingys. In practice, it is also much easier to get sharp and "SLR like" results from this lens than my Tamron 17-50mm, especially at night, though this could be because of my (lack of) skills.

Not very good at focusing, I don't mind noise, but in dark locations it tends to "hunt" (?) a lot and feels like it will break apart with all those shudders. Also the AF Assist Flashes of the EOS 400D pisses off people as this happens, but that's another issue Smile

Not a fault of the lens per se, but often I use it instead of the Tamron at parties at night because it performs better, but unfortunately you have to back up quite a lot and people think you are a weird or something (e.g. "WTF is that guy doing??"), so it is a bit too ?"long"? on a APS-C 1.6X crop camera

At time of writing, I have just dropped mine from about 1m high whilst it was in it's box and bubble wrap and plastic and it still broke!!! with two of the hook things on the top part snapping off. I have superglued them and will see how it goes Smile This has left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth because I feel I was just getting used to this lens and being able to use it properly. So a big gripe is that it isn't cheap enough to warrant such poor durability.

I admit when I first got my dSLR and this lens, I thought that comments about it feeling like a toy were a bit harsh, but after getting another lens (Tamron 17-50mm), and after it breaking on me, I understand and agree with the comments.

Whether my broken one will work in the morning, or whether I get a replacement, I am going to sticky tape padding all over it!!!

Sep 22, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Dawei Ye to your Buddy List
Morgan Lupton

Registered: Sep 22, 2007
Review Date: Sep 22, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $90.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Incredibly short and easy to fit in carrying cases. Well priced for a student budget. Excellent bokeh for the price.
Cons:
The switch for manual focus takes a good push; makes me wonder if it will be the first problem if I have any with the lens. The lens cap comes off to easy, but not a major problem since the glass is recessed well into the lens.

This is my first lens that I actually bought and didn't recieve as a gift. It's a quite good one. There are a few nuisances with this lens, but I don't consider them to big.

I ordered this through Wolf Camera because they didn't have it stocked, and so I couldn't try it out first on my camera. After a couple weeks of using it, I have started to get un-"used" to wide angles.

The camera is quite picky about focusing. 95% of the time it is spot on. But for the few other times, it needs a certain of amount of difference in colors. Hard pictures to focus include clouds and dark objects.

This is an incredible lens. I probably will use it in all cases were I have control over the picture and don't have to worry about zooming. It'll fit anywhere and the focusing can be perfected with some days of use. I'd suggest buying.

Sep 22, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Morgan Lupton to your Buddy List
borderlight

Registered: Dec 6, 2004
Review Date: Sep 10, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $70.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Light, sharp, decent contrast
Cons:
Build, lack of scale, MF difficult

You will be surprised with this gem if you can put up with the lack of a DOF scale and difficult MF. The one I have is quite sharp at f1.8. On a FF it is best between f2.8-f5.6. According to The Digital Picture.com, a site where you can actually compare your lens against others, the 50 f1.8 is sharper than the 50 f1.2L, and it just about beats any zoom, L or not, at 50mm stopped down to @f2.8. The 50 f1.4 beats the f1.8 version in bokeh, flare control, and slightly better contrast, but then it's 1/4 the price.

Sep 10, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add borderlight to your Buddy List
fromthecoast

Registered: Sep 5, 2007
Review Date: Sep 5, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $84.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great ability to take indoor shots in low light
Cons:
None, for the price what is there to complain about?

I received this lens in the mail one day after my xti and it has replaced my kit lens ever since. I should have purchased a body only. This thing is great for indoor photography. I have a newborn and I cannot believe the shots that I am getting. Great in low light, great background blur, very sharp. I have used at 1.8 all day long with no problems and 2.8 is rock solid as already stated. The only con to this lens is that it will make you wonder where you can find the next hidden canon gem for less than $100. If you know where, please let me know. As stated earlier, if you don't have this lens you are really hurting yourself.

Sep 5, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add fromthecoast to your Buddy List
Luisifer

Registered: Jul 20, 2007
Location: Czech Republic
Review Date: Aug 31, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $110.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: superb lens per price, image quality, low CA, good and nice bokeh
Cons:
nothing (because price exclude cons)

Perfect lens for everithing. :-D
(you can experiment so much with this lens ... no mather whats happend because the new one is "for a kiss") :-)

I have very good experiences with lens + 68 mm extension tubes. It's funny work. :-) (you can have one's fling with it to much)

Aug 31, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Luisifer to your Buddy List
Povilas

Registered: Aug 23, 2007
Location: Lithuania
Review Date: Aug 23, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $115.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Good colours, f1.8, price, small&light
Cons:
CA at 1.8, focus sometimes, 50mm on crop - a bit too long

If you are considering this lens, you have to buy it!

It is basically the same price as the 18-55 kit lens but is a completely different league.

First, it has aperture of 1.8, which in practice means that you can easily shoot indoor without any flash at ISO100! And this is accomplished buy having and aperture of 2.2, 2.8. In darker rooms you can use ISO 200/2.2-1.8 settings and still not need a flash.

Second, it has NICE colours. The colours are deep and the contrast is good.

Third, it is so cheap that no one would expect it to be a good lens. But it is.

Fourth, it is so small and light that you will love it from the firt time you touch it.

I have noticed only a couple of negative aspects of this lens. It has a noticable CA at aperture of 1.8. However, one rarely requires 1.8 and when one does he/she usually shoots in low light conditions, where CA is much less noticable.

Second is that if you shoot against the sun, it sometimes finds hard time to find a focus on a subject with AF. Sometimes you even can not focus with AF, need to use manual. But I have founs this problem only when I was experimenting on purpose. In regular shooting - never.

The last one is rather my choice then a problem, but it is obvious that on crop DSLR it it a little bit too long for indoor shooting. It is perfect for portraits though, but sometimes you need to include more than just faces and shoulders. In outdoor conditions it is again - perfect.

I can not do anything else that to put a clear 10 for this lens, because it is unbelievable what Canon has achieved for 115$.

Aug 23, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Povilas to your Buddy List
Peter Chung

Registered: Dec 31, 2006
Review Date: Aug 18, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $70.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Image quality, price, compact.
Cons:
A bit too long for indoors.

Was my first lens. Sharp and easy to carry. Image quality is excellent. Also useful in low light Smile

Aug 18, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Peter Chung to your Buddy List
Nick Muellerle

Registered: Aug 13, 2007
Review Date: Aug 13, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $100.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: price, bokeh, speed. (if you want to shoot sports indoors, f/ 1.8 is perfect.)
Cons:
build quality, feel, AF speed, minimum focus distance is a bit far.

I am in a love-hate relationship with this lens. I love the ability to shoot fast-moving things indoors without having to resort to using the flash. I love the bokeh my lens produces. as far as taking photos is concerned, it's amazing.

but living with it is a struggle sometimes. I am not excessively hard with my lenses, I will admit that I live with them. they are going to get jostled, knocked around a little bit, and they are going to get used.

People will say this lens feels cheap. well, its 100 dollars, it IS cheap. and it shows. The plastic feels very low quality, and is prone to rattling. I've only had the lens 6 months, and the manual focus feels grainy and constrained, as though there were sand inside it. I honestly think the lens may in fact be falling apart. I know somehow, something has affixed itself to one of the inside elements, and it bothers me to look at it.

I know this lens is better than the kit lens. I know I'll get more use out of it, and I know I'll be able to use it in more places. but when I hold it, I think. this thing is a toy. it's a bit of a joke. it feels about as solid as a sushi roll.

by all means, buy the lens. it will never disappoint. but if you're like me, and want it for longer than a few years, buy an upgrade. I know I plan to.

Aug 13, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Nick Muellerle to your Buddy List
bergie

Registered: Aug 12, 2007
Review Date: Aug 12, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $80.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Not expensive Good image results
Cons:
Cheap build (but expected)

Since I've spent a lot of money between acquiring my 30D and the excellent 10-22, I couldn't afford the 70-200 I want (would prefer to wait until I can afford an IS version), so I decided to buy this for $80 and for the money, I can't see how I could be happier.

Yes, it's cheaply built, but at least I have something I can shoot in low light and stop action with. Plus with my 1.6 crop body, it's essentially an 80mm prime!

Here's a pic of my son in action taken with this lens:

Although I've not shot with the 1.4 version, the only difference I can tell between the two besides build quality and price is that it has better bokeh. Some may find the blur on this one to be more harsh, and it is, but I don't think it's so bad it stands out or ruins the picture. I'd rather save the $200 to go towards my 70-200 tele...

Aug 12, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add bergie to your Buddy List
slang20034

Registered: Jun 30, 2006
Review Date: Aug 7, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Price, picture quality, size, weight
Cons:
Build quality

I only have one thing to say regarding my thoughts on this lens. Two weeks ago I was in Banff, AB on a vacation. A quick slip and a trip, and my lens was in 10 pieces on the ground. Oops.

Within an 2 hours I had a brand new one in my hands, because this lens is a no brainer for the price and for the quality of shots that I get at my amature level.

Anyone starting out in photography needs to buy this lens. It is a great learning tool and can show you what you are capable of. My first priority after smashing it to bits was to get another one in my hands ASAP. It is almost disposable for the price. I also learned a great and cheap lesson on how not to treat lenses.

Aug 7, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add slang20034 to your Buddy List
Perry Ge

Registered: Jul 29, 2007
Review Date: Jul 29, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $80.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Price! Sharp, light, fast.
Cons:
Build quality, noisy AF hunts in low light.

There is no excuse not to own this lens (unless you have the 50mm f/1.4 or f/1.2L). I love it to death!

Fantastic image quality for this price, fast, light and sharp. On a 1.6x cropped sensor, focal length is 80mm (35mm equiv), making it an excellent portrait lens, particularly at f/1.8. Stop it down a bit and it's incredibly sharp.

Build quality is crap, and the AF is quite loud and hunts a little bit in low light, but what did you expect for this price?

Even at twice the price, this lens is still worth it. Unless you have money to blow on a 50mm with better build quality, this lens is a must-have.

Jul 29, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Perry Ge to your Buddy List
nico_p

Registered: Jul 15, 2007
Location: Angola
Review Date: Jul 16, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $75.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Affordable fast lens, lightweight, sharp, excellent portrait lens on a crop body (85mm equivalent).
Cons:
Build quality, slow AF, AF/MF switch looks fragile.

I had never owned a prime and this cheap little thing made it possible.

It obviously looks very fragile, but on the other hand it's lightweight enough to be with you all the time. With a xT or xTi you end up with a great set up to shoot portraits. No bulk, no weight.

I have no experience with primes, so I was obviously blown away with the followings:
- fastness (1.8 allows for handeld shots in very, very, very low light with no flash)
- sharpness : close it down a bit and it's really sharp.
- creative possibilities : selective focus with back and foreground blur.

This is really an excellent starting point for one who is curious about photography but does not want to spend a lot of money on his first prime.

The AF obviously tends to hunt in low light, and the lens looks very fragile, but the prixe and image quality compensate for that in my opinion - at least for a beginner like me.

I think it's the ideal beginner "real lens". I think that zooms make you lazy and may inhibate your creativity. This lens will open up a new world and not only in low light conditions. On a 1.6 crop body this lens becomes a 85mm 1.8, which is ideal for portraits.

Obviously if you have money you'd better take a look at the 1.4 or 1.2 L, but for a beginner or a student this will work fine, and with a little care this lens should last for a little while.

I rate build quality at 1/10, price at 10/10 and overall rating is 9.

Here is one of the first portrait I shot with it:

Jul 16, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add nico_p to your Buddy List
stefan captijn

Registered: Jul 11, 2007
Review Date: Jul 11, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Great aparture, small and light. Easy for travel. Great portrait lens. For the price it is a no brainer!
Cons:
Some say the build quality is bad but honoustly, i have experienced this as a problem. Just treat it the way you would treat an expensive lens :-)

At first i was a bit hesitant to go with a prime lens but when i came accross this puppy i decided to buy it right away. The price is very low, every Canon DSLR owner should have it.

I had to get used to not being able to zoom but now I find it even better, it forces you to really think about the result you want. It is a cool lens for indoor shooting and portraits.

Here is a shot i took last week, only thing i did to it is some cropping and greyscale conversion...

You really need to have this lens!

Jul 11, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add stefan captijn to your Buddy List
Brian Mitchell

Registered: Jun 7, 2007
Review Date: Jul 3, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $75.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Inexpensive, fast, good prime to start
Cons:
None for the price

For an entry level 50mm lens, and selling for about $79 on Amazon, this lens can't be beat. Some representative pictures that I've taken:

The key aspect of this lens is its flexibility. Flexible because it is light, so you'll take it everywhere in your bag, always ready to throw it on the camera when needed. And flexible because you can take pictures in very low light without a flash.. With the ISO turned up you can almost take pictures in the dark. You will see what I mean if you look at some of the above-linked pictures. Some of my best shots are there, and that is because this was the right lens at the right time.

If you already shoot with prime lenses, and are comfortable paying more, go for the f/1.4. I rented it once, and was impressed. It sells for under $300. But if you want to try out a great and almost equivalent lens, start out here. You need this lens.

Jul 3, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Brian Mitchell to your Buddy List

Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II