Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II

351 545856 Oct 16, 2014
8.6
ef50mmf_18_1_

This is the lightest EF lens of all at a mere 4.6 oz. (130g). Compact and high-performance, standard lens. Its Gaussian optics provide sharp delineation from near to far focusing distances. The color balance is excellent for a standard lens.

optitrac

Registered: Jan 20, 2008
Review Date: Mar 29, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: SHARP! CONTRASTY! SWEET BOKEH! Focuses fairly quickly and accurately.....uh, lightweight plastic.
Cons:
...uh, lightweight plastic. Loud, rough (to the point of being funny) chunky autofocus. Not really made to be manually focused.

I love this piece of crap! If you have kids and don't have the scratch $$$ (little kidlets are expensive) to buy a 'real' lens, get this one. At least you can put beans on the table and capture their cute little faces eatin' em. Kidding aside, there are few better bargains on glass, you almost always get what you pay for, with this, you get a little more.

Mar 29, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add optitrac to your Buddy List
kinachahue

Registered: Mar 4, 2006
Review Date: Mar 27, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $110.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: sharp, fast, inexpensive, fun to use
Cons:
plastic

This is such a fun little lens. I got it while waiting for a 24-70 L to arrive and needing another lens for a shoot. I just love it. It's cheap feeling, light as a feather and sharp edge to edge down to f/2 w/ full frame camera. The one negative is it's plastic and cheap feeling but really I don't care. It's the glass that counts and this glass is quality. I find I'm using it more than the 24-70 f/2.8L, for some things anyway. It's really fun to use and for the price you can't go wrong. This really makes my want to get the L version.

Mar 27, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add kinachahue to your Buddy List
UCDEngBoss

Registered: Mar 14, 2008
Review Date: Mar 24, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharpness at and above f4.0. Lens speed (f1.8). PRICE. IQ. Color.
Cons:
Build quality. AF Speed. AF noise. (All of which I am ok with considering the price)

My favorite lens. I love the speed of a f1.8 prime for indoor photos around the house. I use this on my 400d mostly for photographing my son (now 10months old). The colors and sharpness are top notch. The cost is so low there is no reason why a canon DSLR owner shouldn't have on in the bag. You can preview my EF50mm f1.8II photos here:

The AF is a little slow and loud but I cannot complain at all for $80. As for sharpness this lens is best in the f4.0-f11 range and starts to get soft as you open it up. However I still shoot it wide open when needed and the images are still great for my needs.

Mar 24, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add UCDEngBoss to your Buddy List
tqli07981

Registered: Jan 10, 2006
Review Date: Mar 20, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $80.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Good IQ, Fast lens and very affordable.
Cons:
For this price, absolutely none

I give it all 10 because each catagory deserves a 10 based on the price range it falls in. Of course, the build quality is laughable compare to a L lens, and so is the price. I agree with all the positive feedback on its IQ, and for the price of a toy, I would give it a 20 if they allow. Highly recommend!

Mar 20, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add tqli07981 to your Buddy List
jlkeck

Registered: Mar 15, 2008
Review Date: Mar 15, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Value, IQ
Cons:
Build Quality, ease of MF

Build quality is laughable - that said this is probably the best value based on price to IQ.

If you plan to MF this is not the lens to use.

Mar 15, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jlkeck to your Buddy List
jimbo67

Registered: Mar 10, 2008
Review Date: Mar 10, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharp, sharp, sharp!!! Excellent indoor lens.
Cons:
AF is atrocious, gets caught up in hunt cycle and won't stop. Sounds like the lens will explode some day...if it does I'll have to buy another one!!

IQ is sharp and absolutely no PP required when I use this lens!! The AF and build is well......I paid about a hundred dollars for this lens new, what did I expect?? If it breaks...I'll buy another one...if that breaks, I'll buy yet another one. No reason why you don't have this lens if you have a Canon body!!

Mar 10, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jimbo67 to your Buddy List
yohay

Registered: Mar 9, 2008
Location: Israel
Review Date: Mar 9, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: very sharp, small and lightweight. Great colors, and very chaep. 1.8 of course.
Cons:
The bulid quality is terrible. The focus isn't fast so much and also not very quiet.

Great lens!
very good performance.
Extremely sharp, specialy for it's proce...
Very good for portraits and to take photos in low light.
So small and lightweight that it's doesn't metter the place it's takes in the bag... And when you'll need it, is'll do a great job.

except that that it's made of 100% plastic, and the fact that the focus isn't as fast and quaite as USM, I have nothing bad to say abput it. Even after the "crop factor" it's range is comfortable, and I also find out that it nice to shoot flowers with her-because of the small depth of view that remind macro lenses, and the good sharpness.
So, all I can say that in this proce, there isn't a reason that you wont have this lens...

Mar 9, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add yohay to your Buddy List
charliebrown34

Registered: Mar 7, 2008
Review Date: Mar 7, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $100.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, light weight, small, f/1.8, cheap
Cons:
Built quality, soft at f/1.8

Mar 7, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add charliebrown34 to your Buddy List
Rob Scriva

Registered: Oct 31, 2007
Review Date: Mar 5, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Great value for money, sharp.
Cons:
None if you know exactly what you're buying.

Also known as the plastic fantastic or the nifty fifty this lens is great value for money and a worthy addition to anyone's kit bag.

It's completely made of plastic, including the mount, but hey, there's a reason why it's cheap. It doesn't have USM and AF is a little dodgy in low light but it is incredibly sharp for something this cheap.

Works well at short focal lengths, the bokeh is fine but not nearly as good as it's older brothers.

Mar 5, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Rob Scriva to your Buddy List
MGSteve

Registered: Feb 17, 2008
Review Date: Feb 28, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $30.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Cheap
Cons:
Noisy AF, Bad AF in low light, Very slightly soft. Feels like a toy lens.

Well, first off - value wise, this is up there with the best. Image quality wise - its not brilliant.

Which is odd given then reviews on here, I know. However, that said, for the money its not bad at all.

It is *very* slightly soft, compared to the 100mm 2.8 USM Macro I've got. Its probably comparable to the Sigma 18-50 DC EX Macro lens I had. Maybe very slightly sharper.

Example...

50mm: http://mgsteve.smugmug.com/gallery/4353064_MjPfN#255473934_MMiDH-O-LB

100mm: http://mgsteve.smugmug.com/gallery/4353064_MjPfN#255471328

However, the 1.8 aperture does give you remarkable freedom to shoot in low light, handheld! eg: http://mgsteve.smugmug.com/gallery/4352250_zVmZc#255529527

However, using an aperture of 1.8 does tend to test the autofocus on your camera, if they appear slightly out of focus, get the mechanism checked as it may well be the camera, not the lens. Its usually visible on subjects that are at 45degrees to the lens, the focal point appears either just before or just after the AF point the camera used. Its just because the focal plane on 1.8 is soooo thin, it shows up any miscalibration in the camera.

Oh the whole, I'll probably keep it anyway, perhaps replace it with the 1.4 version which apparently gives better Image Quality. However, its considerably more money.

It comes down to one thing really, if you find yourself shooting at 50mm a lot with a zoom, get this lens, it'll be at least as sharp as the zoom and allows you to shoot in very low light!

Gallery: http://mgsteve.smugmug.com

I've tagged all my images taken with the 50mm lens - http://mgsteve.smugmug.com/keyword/canonef50mmf18ii and they're all available at 100% for you pixel peepers out there!

Feb 28, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add MGSteve to your Buddy List
sendjo

Registered: Feb 23, 2008
Location: Croatia
Review Date: Feb 23, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $50.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: price, large aperture, IQ, sharpness
Cons:
plastic-fantastic build, bokeh

It`s a sin not to have this cheap lens. Excellent sharpness and large aperture for money it cost. Must have for everyone.

Feb 23, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add sendjo to your Buddy List
Joel Kern

Registered: Nov 14, 2007
Review Date: Feb 14, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharpness that blows away my L zooms. Complete lack of CA up to f5.6 - minimal CA from f8 and beyond. Inexpensive - no worries if it dies on me.
Cons:
Weird bokeh - very, very different from my L zooms... but different can be a good thing. Inexpensive - poor AF and completely uninspiring build quality.

An interesting lens at a bargain price... should have picked one of these up sooner. A nice companion lens for the 24-70 f2.8L.

Points of interest:

- No chromatic aberration from f1.8 to f5.6 - None! CA starts to creep in from f8 on up, but remains lower than both my 70-200 f2.8L and my 24-70 f2.8L zooms. A very, very good characteristic.

- Sharp from f2 on up - sharper than my L zooms at least, although I haven't tried the 135 f2L yet. Vignettes heavily wide open and up until about f2.8... but this can be seen as an advantage in some situations.

- Weird bokeh - I like the bokeh of this lens for certain situations; hate it for others... it's sort-of old school (like the lenses I used to use when I was in college 10 years ago) but with a weird twist. I'll get the hang of it eventually.

Definitely keeping this lens in my bag for the times that a photo would benefit from a complete lack of CA, killer sharpness, (what I'll call) "edgy" bokeh and/or vignetting. Don't think I'll be using it much for my landscape photography, but I've had some success using this lens for both portraits and product shots.

Feb 14, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Joel Kern to your Buddy List
Can Tanguner

Registered: Aug 22, 2007
Location: Turkey
Review Date: Feb 12, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $160.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Best bang for your buck, image quality
Cons:
Build quality, noisy AF

This is the first lens I've bought after the horrible kit lens came with my XTi.

First of all build quality really disappointed me, but it clearly explains why this lense is so cheap. So I shouldn't be complaining about it but whatever. Also AF is a bit noisier than the kit lense and it seems a bit slow too, but I don't have any experience with the lense on daylight. Maybe AF won't get confused when the lighting is OK Smile

Image-wise, it is totally unrivalled for the price. Images are sharp and it creates beautifully blurred backgrounds. Sometimes f/1.8 becomes a little tricky to handle but generally it's the best feature of the lense.

Two test shots. I had the polarizer attached to my kit lense and was too tired to remove it Smile

I totally recommend it, it is definitely a must have. Don't even hesitate to buy one.

Feb 12, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Can Tanguner to your Buddy List
G.M.S.

Registered: Jan 6, 2007
Review Date: Jan 30, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $99.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Very Sharp, Fast. Excellent colours
Cons:
None at this price level

This lens is excellent right out of the box, I seem to have gotten a hold of a copy that was built solid and properly, there is no loose parts or rattling. The glass used in this lens is way above par...dare I say...some of the quality of "L" series glass.

Tack Sharp.

For this price and picture quality everyone should have this lens.

Jan 30, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add G.M.S. to your Buddy List
Scott Berens

Registered: Dec 28, 2007
Review Date: Jan 16, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: lightweight, large aperture, simple, low price.
Cons:
well, none really.

A lot of people complain that this lens is poorly made or doesn't contain metal. While that may be the case I think it's best to rate based on the glass. And that's exactly what this little lens delivers.

High bang for the buck. My sister has absconded this lens to take pictures of her kids in low light while they're sleeping!

Jan 16, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Scott Berens to your Buddy List
Aaron Fuchs

Registered: Jan 12, 2008
Review Date: Jan 12, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: IQ, size, f1.8
Cons:
it feels like a cheap replica from china

IQ is very nice when you look at the low price. But you better not expect it to be built like a normal lens (actually, there is no metal at all).

Jan 12, 2008