Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II

351 546014 Oct 16, 2014
8.6
ef50mmf_18_1_

This is the lightest EF lens of all at a mere 4.6 oz. (130g). Compact and high-performance, standard lens. Its Gaussian optics provide sharp delineation from near to far focusing distances. The color balance is excellent for a standard lens.

zshaft

Registered: Aug 31, 2008
Review Date: Sep 3, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 7

Pros: good bokeh, price, light, nice for portraiture, good for low-light indoor
Cons:
plastic, noisy, sometimes not accurate focus

well, it's my first prime lens for my canon 400d.
at first, i really like the bokeh it makes, also the f/1.8 that allow u to take w/o flash in low-light rooms.
But then the compensation of that is it's really hard to search the accurate focus, yet it's noisy n creepy.

I use it for certain occassion, not my fave lens, anyway.
But i could rely on this 'tiny' lens for nite-portraits.

For price?
if u have budget to buy a standard SLR, then this one wouldnt 'bother' your wallet, though !

Sep 3, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add zshaft to your Buddy List
S4LTM4N

Registered: Aug 19, 2008
Review Date: Aug 19, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $90.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: sharp, cheap, light, compact, usable large aperture, usable FL
Cons:
plastic, poor build quality, slow, but not loud or inaccurate AF

Let me start out by saying that this was the only lens that I had for my first six months with my 20d. Those first months were some of the most inspirational and fun times of my life, and I owe quite a bit of it to this little lens.

This is a perfect lens for those learning that aren't quite ready to invest a lot of money on equipment. It won't limit you in low-light situations like the kit lens, and the image quality won't disappoint beginners, or anyone, considering the price.

Not only is it great for beginners, but it is small enough to be worthwhile for more advanced photographers to keep on hand for low-light shooting.

One of my favorite uses of this lens is portraiture, but I wouldn't hesitate to use it as a walk-about lens, even on a cropped body like the 20d or 400d. Many will say it is too long to be useful as a walk-about on anything but film or full-frame bodies, but in using it as my sole lens for months, I can't think of a single situation where I couldn't frame all the shots I wanted by backing up.

If you're new to photography, or if you're an old veteran just looking for some inspiration, the 50 1.8 is sure to please.

Aug 19, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add S4LTM4N to your Buddy List
canon_chick89

Registered: Aug 6, 2008
Review Date: Aug 6, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great price, f/1.8 is amazing, light weight, very sharp, great bokeh,
Cons:
plastic, prime lens and not zoom lens

This is such a great lens. I just got it last week and I am so pleased with it. It has fast become my favorite lens. The image quality is so sharp and crisp and being able to go to f/1.8 makes things so much easier. When I went in to buy it the sales person tried to tell me that this isn't a 'real' portrait lens and that if i wanted a 'real' one I should get the $400+ f/1.4 lens. Now, no doubt that the more expensive lens is better but this lens works just perfectly for portraits and is only a quarter of the cost. For some, it might be weird getting use to having no zoom but it just means that you might have to do a little more moving around. I would reccomend this lens to anyone.

Aug 6, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add canon_chick89 to your Buddy List
Abdullah M

Registered: Jul 10, 2008
Location: Saudi Arabia
Review Date: Aug 4, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $107.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: CHEAP!, High resolution as prime lens, very light weight, fast aperture.
Cons:
Slow focus, focus ring not in the right position to use easy, not high quality body but this expected for this price, its colors need correction.

I bought this lens a few months ago, the big advantage is see how cheap prime lens produces high resolution compared to normal zooms.

The big downside is slow focus, make this lens useless in speedy events. but you can solve this somehow by selecting the center focus point only, so you can point to your subject and focus fast more.

The best application of this lens is portraits, products photography.
This lens gives 80mm on my 350D, so it's good for portraits.

I recommend it for Canonians, of course!

Aug 4, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Abdullah M to your Buddy List
Fulcrum

Registered: May 23, 2008
Review Date: Jul 29, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, lightweight, f/1.8, very good optically, dirt cheap
Cons:
Flimsy stucture

This is THE best bang for the buck. You just canīt beat this in terms of price/quality. Nothing can or will.

Sure, itīs no L-series super lens that costs $3000. But considering the price you pay for this lens and the images you get, this one is a winner. And less tears will be shed over a scratch in the lens.

Mechanically, this lens is horrendously flimsy. All plastic and yuck.
And thatīs about the only bad thing that can be said about it.

The AF whirrs a little, but just a little compared to the 28mm f/2.8 which is a Noise Machine From Hell.

Jul 29, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Fulcrum to your Buddy List
Revolver

Registered: Feb 5, 2008
Review Date: Jul 13, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $80.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Price, sharpness, IQ
Cons:
Build quality makes you treat it like a newborn

First lens I ever bought and still have it today. Fast enough for indoors and a staple in my bag. Great buy for anybody buying a dslr.

Jul 13, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Revolver to your Buddy List
Sam_S

Registered: Aug 21, 2006
Review Date: Jul 5, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $90.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Cheap, Sharp, Fun to use, F/1.8!
Cons:
Build Quality, AF

I bought this lens for no reason and discovered it was so worth it!

This baby is SHARP. Colors are good, and contrast is great!

Two negative points:

The build quality: Plastic fantastic. Its wiggly but it holds. I dropped it hard on concrete a few weeks ago and I thought it was all over, but to my surprise absolutly nothing happened.

The AF: Single shot is not problem and focuses just fine in normal daylight. With AI Servo shooting fast moving stuff your keeper rate is going to go down but you'll still get usable stuff. As said above it hunts in the dark.

Highly recommend as a fun lens!

Jul 5, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Sam_S to your Buddy List
RobertLynn

Registered: Jan 5, 2008
Review Date: Jun 20, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $69.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Cheap! Fast Aperture!
Cons:
Slower to focus than 1.4 version (but less than a 3rd of the cost), and build quality. It feels fine to me, but next to a much more expensive lens, you can tell the difference. However it's a camera lens, not a baseball bat. Lens mount is plastic, but that shouldn't be an issue. Again, it's a lens, not construction equipment. I'm still giving it a 10 for BQ rating, because of how cheap it is. You know going into it, you're not going to get an L built lens.

For all the more this lens costs, you cannot afford to not have it. If you have the 1.4, obviously you don't need this.

The bokeh on this is harsh to SOME people, but not to all. You'll have to be the judge of that.

It's loud (no USM) when it focuses, but I only notice it if I listen for it.

My copy is sharp at 1.8, and like it should increases as the Av increases.

Basically the best way to say it is, this lens does have flaws.
CA, Loud, slow focus, build quality.

However, it has TOO many things that are great about it, that far outweigh the flaws.

Jun 20, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add RobertLynn to your Buddy List
icesalmon

Registered: Jan 20, 2006
Review Date: Jun 13, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $80.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Price is reasonable
Cons:
Color very plain.

The color is plain, wash out. Although you can alway use photoshop to make it more vivid.
Not very sharp.
The focal length is not that useful indoor. 35mm f/2 is a better choice.

Jun 13, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add icesalmon to your Buddy List
Cboydrun

Registered: Jun 1, 2008
Review Date: Jun 1, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $79.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Price, image quality
Cons:
cheapish build

80 bucks? are you kidding, why not? Great images, I love it. great for portraits, of any kind. Take this out in the boat, on the ATV and if it drops... its only $80. Definitly the plastic fantastic, or nifty fifty.

Jun 1, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Cboydrun to your Buddy List
Lizstique

Registered: May 26, 2008
Review Date: May 26, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: f/1.8, good bokeh, cheap
Cons:
build quality, small focus ring, a little soft (but not that annoying)

After reading alot of reviews about this lens, I decided to buy it new for about 80 euro.
I have it for a week now and been shooting with it alot on my 350D. This is absolutely a must have considering the price.

I did have to get used in using a prime since my other lenses (Canon 18-55 and Tamron 55-200) are all zooms.
Also, the build quality is pretty poor. But what do you expect for 80 euro?

Other than that, I love the f/1.8 even though a little soft. It's get better past f/3 or so. It's just a must have for a novice/intermediate like me. I think that pro's would rather buy the f/1.4 or f/1.2 L version.

May 26, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Lizstique to your Buddy List
whitetail

Registered: May 21, 2008
Review Date: May 21, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $75.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Aperture range for the price, sharpness, inexpensive
Cons:
Build, slow AF in low light, noisy, MF can be inaccurate

I would recommend this lens for all beginners, even with some of its issues. With equipment you get what you pay for, though this lens goes way beyond its price. It is amazingly cheap for the wide aperture and picture quality. However, Canon compensated for the price by cheaping on the build. It is plasticky, noisy (sounds like a cement grinder!), and the AF has a couple issues. It hunts too much in low light. However, its lightness can be beneficial. It complements smaller bodies like the Rebels and it takes up little space in a camera bag. Personally, I think these lenses should be part of a beginner's kit. It will please with the price and aperture range. It is relatively good for close-ups too, if you're into shooting flowers or small objects (not macro, but nice). On stopped down shots, the bokeh has disappointed me from time to time.

These are a few shots I have taken with the "nifty fifty":

May 21, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add whitetail to your Buddy List
mrphotoman

Registered: Jul 27, 2003
Review Date: May 15, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Super light!
Cons:

Fantastic lens! Super sharp, super light and fantastic price!

I think the build quality is great, it is a light cheap 50mm lens.

The sharpness and speed is great!

May 15, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add mrphotoman to your Buddy List
Domino81

Registered: Mar 10, 2008
Review Date: Apr 28, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Color, incredible sharpness, quick AF, small and light on camera.
Cons:
Hunts like hell in low light.

This was the very first lens I used when getting into the world of DSLR. At first I struggled with the lens and the crop factor on my 20D. But after using some other lenses and realizing what I had I realized I had a very special lens. It'll focus in close, almost macro close. It's light on the camera body and I almost always get great results with it. If I don't, it's usually my fault. I'd recommend this lens to ANYONE.

Apr 28, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Domino81 to your Buddy List
crabdevil

Registered: Apr 18, 2008
Review Date: Apr 21, 2008 Recommend? no | Price paid: $100.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: cheap, color
Cons:
AF accuracy in low light, material quality

If you looking for outdoor portrait lens by budget, take it.
1.8 will attract you to use it in low light condition but AF can not hit the point and MF ring nearly unusable.
The best thing in this lens is price, the second is sweet color.

If Canon announce 50 1.8 III with better buid quality we will see lot of mkII in used market. And think about the price...

If you can take the 1.4, lookover this lens

Apr 21, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add crabdevil to your Buddy List
xavierchan

Registered: Jan 23, 2008
Review Date: Apr 9, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: nice Bokeh, cheap and awesome lens!
Cons:
at least for me I don't see any cons.

I would say this is a good lens for any beginner as it is cheap. Especially for those "bokeh" photography lovers and also for portraiture. I myself love to use it for portraiture shooting.

A really good lens for all Canon users. Smile

Apr 9, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add xavierchan to your Buddy List

Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II