Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II

349 543393 Feb 12, 2014
8.6
ef50mmf_18_1_

This is the lightest EF lens of all at a mere 4.6 oz. (130g). Compact and high-performance, standard lens. Its Gaussian optics provide sharp delineation from near to far focusing distances. The color balance is excellent for a standard lens.

electrolyte

Registered: Jul 17, 2009
Review Date: Jul 17, 2009 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 5

Pros: Cheap, sharp at f/2.2 but f/1.8 is still usable, great in low light, lightweight
Cons:
Very poor build quality, lens takes from 5-18 months to fail

I have owned 5 of these lenses in the last 3.5 years. The lenses are cheap, the IQ can be excellent but the build quality is awful and they don't last long.

The 1st one was second hand and lasted 18 months before the focus mechanism stopped working. But the lens was 10 years old so I wasn't so upset especially as the image quality was so good and it hadn't cost me any money to buy as I had inherited it from my brother. The 2nd one I bought from new also had excellent image quality and this one lasted just over 12 months before the focus mechanism stopped working.

I then bought a new one and this one front-focussed badly so I sent it back and got a new one which focussed as it should. This one lasted 5 months before the inner section of the lens came part from the outer casing while I was changing the lens. My on-line retailer blamed me for this and refused to repair or replace lens so I cut my losses and bought a Canon 50mm f/1.4.

So my message is buyer beware. If you buy one, yes, the lens is cheap and it could take excellent images but expect it to break pretty soon due to the poor build quality.

Jul 17, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add electrolyte to your Buddy List
Mr.Konstantin

Registered: May 14, 2009
Review Date: Jun 18, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $130.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Cheap, Light, Fairly Fast Focus, Good results @ f1.8
Cons:
None really

If you just bought dSLR and looking for your first lens GO and BUY this lens right now you wont regret it. I have learned so much about photography by using this lens over my kit (Canon 18-55mm IS) lens. Don't be disappointed by this lens until you know how to use it and first rule is 1/focal length is what your shutter speed should be or else you will get blurry pictures due to hand shake but you already knew this right.
Anyways the IQ is great and tack sharp at f5.6. I hope you will enjoy this lens as much as I do.
Cheers and happy nifty-fiftying!

Jun 18, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Mr.Konstantin to your Buddy List
Fr3d

Registered: Nov 28, 2008
Review Date: Apr 29, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: cheap, sharp, lightweight, needs no hood, quick focus
Cons:
for the price none

Lacking a 50mm prime I initialy wanted to buy the new Sigma 50mm/1.4 EX HSM which has been discussed here in the forums. But after checking out the Canon 50mm/1.8 II I quickly changed my mind. Side by side the Sigma wasn't worth the 300 EUR premium. It was better build but not sharper. The Canon performs very good on the 5D II from f1.8 (ok) to f2 (already sharp) onward to f5.6 (razor sharp). A colleague of mine has the lens too but it is noticeably softer than mine. I would recommend this lens to anyone who wants a light/cheap/chap fifty for fullframe ... if you can test before you buy.

Apr 29, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Fr3d to your Buddy List
artsnoob

Registered: Apr 25, 2009
Review Date: Apr 25, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $100.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Cheap, produces really nice pictures, nice bokeh.
Cons:
Build quality (plastic)

I've bought this lens about 2 years ago, and i've taken thousands of pictures with it. This lens is so cheap, if you're just starting taking pictures and you want to check if primes are for you, you just have to buy this lens.

I have enjoyed this lens a lot untill it just fell apart a couple of days ago.
It's a plastic lens so you know that you can't use this lens forever so I've decided not to buy another one but instead go for the sigma 50mm 1.4.

So if you want a good, cheap prime, check it out, but if you want something durable and well built, DON'T buy this lens.

Apr 25, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add artsnoob to your Buddy List
hfasninvsn

Registered: Jan 5, 2009
Review Date: Mar 18, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $85.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Good price, sharp, pretty fast AutoFocus, lightweight, compact.
Cons:
Plastic

This was the first lens that I bought for my camera (300D, a used body, so it didn't come with a kit lens) and was very satisfied with it. The second lens I got, a Tamron 17-35mm f/2.8-4, though good, really made me appreciate some of the positive aspects of the 50mm f/1.8 II. The AF on the 50 is considerably faster and quieter than the Tamron (I know, it's comparing apples to oranges, but they're the only two lenses I own).

I did, however, get a chance to use a 50m f/1.4, and I noticed it focused faster, smoother, and the overall build quality just felt better. However, I don't currently feel that the improvements of the f/1.4 justify the price increase over the f/1.8, given what I'm doing with it.

As far as I'm concerned, you can't really beat the price of this lens, considering what you get for it.

Mar 18, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add hfasninvsn to your Buddy List
Gary Lee 44

Registered: Jan 1, 2009
Review Date: Jan 30, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $74.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp and cheap
Cons:
Nothin g for the price I paid!

I know all the arguments about this lens. It is plastic, it's focus is to slow, or the auto focus hunts, it has a plastic mount ond so on. But so what. The lens is SHARP and has and f 1.8 so how can anyone complain about this lens. I know if you drop it , it is going to break. But shouldn't you be careful not to drop any of your equipment. The best thing is, if you do drop it you can buy another for $74. It is a great lens for the price. BUY ONE!

Jan 30, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Gary Lee 44 to your Buddy List
gberger

Registered: Apr 29, 2006
Review Date: Jan 27, 2009 Recommend? no | Price paid: $50.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: Cheap, light
Cons:
Inconsistent focus accuracy, a little soft on the far right (mine at least)

I bought this lens used from local Craigslist, planning to pass it on to a friend who is trying to put together a kit on the cheap. I've read over and over again what a bargain it is for the money and thought it would be a good starting point for him.

Pro:

- When this lens focuses properly, it is very sharp indeed. Just a little softness on the far right of the image, but not too bad and inconsequential if taking shots of your kids.

- Super light

Cons:

- Flimsy build (see 'super light')

- Major inconsistent focus problem. Using center spot, the camera will confirm focus while the lens is front or back focused. This happens on about 1/2 the shots. Not an issue with my other lenses.

Bottom line: Maybe it's just this example, but I would recommend staying away from this lens. $90 may seem like a bargain, but missing shots because of poor focusing is not worth it.

Jan 27, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add gberger to your Buddy List
siberslug

Registered: Jan 24, 2009
Review Date: Jan 25, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $89.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Cheap, Light, very sharp starting at 2.2, does not have USM but it's has a very fast and accurate Af on a 50D body, IQ
Cons:
Focus ring is to small

Very fast and accurate focusing on my 50D, it hunts sometimes on my 40D but the AF is still fast most of the time.

AF is not as Noisy as some people are claiming, yeah sure we can hear it but some of the people act as if you would be disturbing an entire wedding if you were to use it and that defiantly not the case. In a small quiet room yeah someone else that's near by will hear it but not at any small event or gathering.

Jan 25, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add siberslug to your Buddy List
LarsJ-DK

Registered: Jan 24, 2009
Review Date: Jan 24, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $120.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Sharp, cheap and light
Cons:
Durability is an issue

Got this one for my Canon 350D and it followed me to the 30D and on to the 1D Mk III.

Its fast, cheap and light and a great tool when first trying out DOF and DSLRs. Durability is an issue though - after one year some plastic came loose on the inside, but it doesn't show up on the pictures (probably because of the 1,3x crop factor).

AF is a bit slow but I still use 50 mm from time to time - especially for product shots. But will not replace it when it finally breaks - instead I will look for a 50 mm 1.4 or a 24 mm 1.4L (nice but expensive)

Jan 24, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add LarsJ-DK to your Buddy List
that_fox

Registered: Apr 6, 2008
Review Date: Jan 20, 2009 Recommend? no | Price paid: $80.00 | Rating: 4

Pros: Lightweight, very sharp at /5.6 and smaller apertures and it is cheap
Cons:
extremely soft at /1.8 all the way to /4, sent to Canon 3 times for calibration/fixing, bad build quality, bad autofocus and noisy autofocus.

I got this lens new about a year ago after hearing all the great reviews about it and how great the quality of the optics were. I didn't bother to do any tests after receiving the lens and just started to go out and shoot, after coming back there were almost no keepers, every shot at a wide aperture (save for 1) was unbearably soft.

After seeing this I found it a bit harder to want to use the lens, but I tried it off and on for a couple more months before finally getting fed up with it and I sent it off to Canon to calibrate it. I received the lens back shortly thereafter and the manual focus ring was stuck so it went back to Canon again. After receiving it back again the autofocus started to make a very odd sound at both the closest focusing distance and infinity focus. But the lens did work, although after testing it in the field again I came back with soft results at anything below /5.6 (/4 being soft but usable in small prints).

This made me test the lens, and the results of it backed up the results from the field, the lens was soft (/4 being usable but still soft) until /5.6 where it was tack sharp. I don't know about anyone else, but when I buy a fast prime lens I plan to use it at wide apertures and not at /5.6 and smaller. So yet again I sent it back to Canon and I finally got a decently sharp copy but I just decided to sell it for cheap (making sure that the buyer knew the history of the lens) because a lens that costs less than $100 is not worth this much trouble. Maybe I just got an extraordinarily bad copy of it, but personally I'd avoid this lens.

Jan 20, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add that_fox to your Buddy List
babyjax14

Registered: May 22, 2008
Review Date: Jan 18, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $85.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, colors are nice, neat bokeh (both good and bad), PRICE
Cons:
Af is loud and inaccurate, Mf switch is tiny and hard to move, and the focus ring is a bit small, but it is only $90, so why complain?

It is a sharp lens that has produced great results for me over and over again. The colors are very nice, but contrast is lacking sometimes. F/1.8 is usable, and once you stop it down to f/2.2 it is extremely sharp. It is very light, so when paired with an entry level slr like the XT/XTi the combo weighs slightly more than a super zoom point-and-shoot. If you ever feel like stopping down to f/8 this lens hits optimal sharpness and is great for shooting buildings--although for serious applications you will want a T&S. Great for people starting out to learn the basics of photography and produce great results along the way.

Jan 18, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add babyjax14 to your Buddy List
Dawei Ye

Registered: Sep 14, 2007
Review Date: Dec 20, 2008 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Sharp Wide Open, Very sharp stopped down, Light, Inexpensive
Cons:
Very weak construction, Erratic AF, Bokeh (Boke) a bit harsh (not very creamy)

I thought I would post a bit of an updated Review to one I did a long time ago (well, not really, but I know much more now than then)

You are likely reading this because you are considering the purchase of this lens. Please be aware of several important pieces of information and myth surrounding this lens

MYTH 1: THIS LENS IS SOFT WIDE OPEN

lens either suffers from significant sample variation, or it's used by newbies (given its "consumer" status) who don't know how to use a lens wide open very well. But there are reports of dud copies so if yours is not sharp wide open get it replaced.

My copy is sharp wide open, almost as sharp as my 85mm f/1.2L II wide open and my 35mm f/1.4L wide open. Other reviewers have reported this lens as soft as s--- wide open. It leads me to be uneasy about the variation. If you don't believe that this lens is sharp wide open send me a PM and I can link you to some of my test shots. What is my definition of sharpness? Well I'm a pixel peeper who views the 100% view for every photo I take, so my idea of sharp is very sharp.

Getting sharp photos from this lens is complicated though. Firstly this lens has erratic focus accuracy. Secondly, because the depth of field is thin at f/1.8 you have to be wary of what your AF sensor is locking onto, as well as avoiding any movement yourself either from swaying or camera shake.

MYTH 2: THIS LENS IS CHEAP AND PRACTICALLY DISPOSABLE, IF YOU BREAK IT JUST BUY A NEW ONE

This lens is weak. I have snapped mine in half on numerous occasions. But note what I just said about "numerous occasions". That's right, you can easily fix this lens yourself for the most common breakage where the lens breaks into two halves.

Many forum users suggest you just dump your broken 50mm f/1.8II lens and buy a new one because its so cheap. Wrong. I'd rather save that money towards a nice L lens instead. If you drop your lens and snap it in half, you will have to find the little plastic pieces that snapped off, superglue them back into the top half, then lock the two pieces back together. It takes a bit of trial and error but the lens works perfectly if you do it right.

MYTH 3: THIS IS A GREAT BEGINNER'S LENS

I made a mistake of buying this lens because many people said "It's a great beginner's lens" or "It's only $XX, it's like pocket change". Well, any amount of $ you spend on this lens means it will take that much longer for you to buy a quality lens like the 35L or 85L II or another lens that you really need. My 50mm f/1.8 II is just sitting at home doing nothing. (I dropped it and superglued it back together so whilst it still works, it's unlikely to fetch much

I am not convinced this is a good lens for beginners. Many users are seduced by the hype and the "affordability" of this lens, but does it really have value for money?

Wait...did I just say the 50mm f/1.8 II (which is always voted best bang for buck Canon lens) is bad value for money? Yes. I did. It is bad value for money for me at least.

Why? Well ask yourself what can this lens really do?

General Use? No, with its 80mm FOV on APS-C bodies (what most newbies use), it's too long for most walkabout purposes

Landscapes? No for similar reasons

Portraits? Yes...but this lens has a harsh quality to its out of focus regions, meaning there are better options

Wildlife? Sports? No because it is too short and slow AF

Weddings? AF is too erratic, and I like my primes to have nice creamy bokeh (boke)

As you can see it's usefulness is very limited.

Make no mistake, this lens is for you if you are happy with the focal length and you don't do time critical photography and you just want great image quality in a lens without spending heaps of money. But don't think for a moment that this lens is for everyone.

And if you don't like the 50mm focal length, or you do time sensitive work, then better to save that money towards a nice L lens or a Speedlite...

Hope that helped in your buying decision. My recommendation? (Unless you are sure the 50mm f/1.8 II is for you) If you are a newbie with a APS-C Camera, put the money towards a nice walkabout zoom lens like the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 or preferably Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS for the time being, and then save up for a FF camera with quality primes like the 24L,35L,85L,135L if you want primes.

Dec 20, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Dawei Ye to your Buddy List
willis

Registered: Jul 23, 2005
Review Date: Dec 11, 2008 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 6

Pros: Cheap, sharp at centre from f2, sharp across the frame at f4. Small and light.
Cons:
Terrible AF accuracy and precision.Cheap build, Very soft wide open.

I could have liked this lens a lot if it were not for the awful AF. It may be I have a bad copy but I just couldn't live with it, so I got a 50mm 1.4 instead which is much better in every way bar price.

Dec 11, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add willis to your Buddy List
zakb7

Registered: Apr 25, 2005
Review Date: Oct 6, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $75.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: f/1.8, sharp, lightweight, super cheap, close focusing distance
Cons:
build quality

It's hard to say anything bad about this lens. Though far from perfect, all minor gripes I have with it go out the window when you consider the price. It's one of those "why not?" purchases that just exceeds all expectations.

Yeah, it's made of plastic. It looks and feels cheap (it is!) Sometimes the focus hunts a little. It's a little soft at f/1.8. But man, is it ever a great deal, and I've made a lot of great pictures with it. On my 40D, it's a decent portrait lens.

This was the first lens I bought for my digital Rebel, other than the old 18-55mm kit lens. And it was a good 6 months before I took it off regularly. It's small and light, great to walk around with all day. And it's small enough to throw in my cargo shorts if I'm packing a zoom lens instead.

Sure, I'd like the older version with the metal mount, but good luck finding one of those for a decent price - just get this one for $75 instead. It will exceed your expectations as it did mine.

But be warned, this is a "gateway" lens - you'll start wanting more primes, the faster the better.

Oct 6, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add zakb7 to your Buddy List
zshaft

Registered: Aug 31, 2008
Review Date: Sep 3, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 7

Pros: good bokeh, price, light, nice for portraiture, good for low-light indoor
Cons:
plastic, noisy, sometimes not accurate focus

well, it's my first prime lens for my canon 400d.
at first, i really like the bokeh it makes, also the f/1.8 that allow u to take w/o flash in low-light rooms.
But then the compensation of that is it's really hard to search the accurate focus, yet it's noisy n creepy.

I use it for certain occassion, not my fave lens, anyway.
But i could rely on this 'tiny' lens for nite-portraits.

For price?
if u have budget to buy a standard SLR, then this one wouldnt 'bother' your wallet, though !

Sep 3, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add zshaft to your Buddy List
S4LTM4N

Registered: Aug 19, 2008
Review Date: Aug 19, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $90.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: sharp, cheap, light, compact, usable large aperture, usable FL
Cons:
plastic, poor build quality, slow, but not loud or inaccurate AF

Let me start out by saying that this was the only lens that I had for my first six months with my 20d. Those first months were some of the most inspirational and fun times of my life, and I owe quite a bit of it to this little lens.

This is a perfect lens for those learning that aren't quite ready to invest a lot of money on equipment. It won't limit you in low-light situations like the kit lens, and the image quality won't disappoint beginners, or anyone, considering the price.

Not only is it great for beginners, but it is small enough to be worthwhile for more advanced photographers to keep on hand for low-light shooting.

One of my favorite uses of this lens is portraiture, but I wouldn't hesitate to use it as a walk-about lens, even on a cropped body like the 20d or 400d. Many will say it is too long to be useful as a walk-about on anything but film or full-frame bodies, but in using it as my sole lens for months, I can't think of a single situation where I couldn't frame all the shots I wanted by backing up.

If you're new to photography, or if you're an old veteran just looking for some inspiration, the 50 1.8 is sure to please.

Aug 19, 2008